PDA

View Full Version : The Veteran Noob: A travelogue

VaikaAran
01-05-2019, 01:09 PM
I left DDO about 6 years ago. I love the game, but life conspired against me, and it wasn't until recently that I have had the ability to return to the game and try to immerse myself once again into this world.

I was not the most advanced player at the time of my departure. There was an exceedingly small number of players who had reached completionist status, and probably less than 10% of the players had TR'd at that point. (If my recollections are incorrect, my apologies, I am sure that someone will step up to let me know that I am wrong.0 :D) That said, my main character was on her third life, and had done fairly decently for herself. She is currently suffering under a particularly poor build, owing to the planned build being outdated, and to be honest, my new found ignorance of the game.

Which brings me to the purpose of this missive. I am hoping to create a journal for the veteran noob. I plan to detail my experiences, both good and bad, as someone who is returning to the world of DDO. Maybe it will help returning players who find themselves in the same boat that I am in. Maybe it will get some response from the long time veterans, filled with advice and information that I will surely need. Of course, it may also be subject to ridicule, because, let's be honest, MMO forums are replete with trolls who like to take folks down a few pegs. I'll see how it goes.

So, to begin at the new beginning...

I started the game, and after searching through the servers, I eventually found that my main was located on Ghallanda. I had already searched the build repository for my planned build, only to find that it had long ago been removed from the forums. I knew that I was in trouble from the start.

I logged into my main, to find her parked in Delera's. Burdened with an overflowing backpack, a notification that I had a mess of action points to spend, and only able to move as fast as molasses running uphill in the dead of winter. (I had an item equipped that I shouldn't have...oops.) Easy enough to fix, or so I thought.

A few new changes to the UI that I had to navigate, a few tweakings of my hotbars to clean up my screen (it took me forever to remember Ctrl+=), and I was off to deal with my enhancements.

Then it happened. The enhancements screen landed on my display with the sound of a baby seal being thrown from the top of the Empire State. WHAT IS THIS SORCERY? VISTANI WHAT? HARPER WHAT? CORES?

I felt a deep seated dread overcome me. I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO DO.

Rather than exacerbate an already bad situation, I decided to start back at square one. I needed to roll a new character, and figured that I would have to learn the game mechanics all over again. I did read some of the postings on the forums to try to familiarize myself with the changes, but the more I read, the more I realized that I just needed to play. Before I logged in, I placed a post on the forums asking for help with my build, and jumped in. (Thanks for the advice folks.)

I logged into character creation, and was pleased to see some new classes and races. Then, wait, what, ICONIC? WHAT IS THIS? I took a look, and decided to go back to what I knew and started fresh. After spending an hour or so on Korthos as a newly minted rogue, my curiosity got the better of me and a rolled a warlock.

Had some fun playing, and started to learn how the enhancement system worked. Ok, I'm getting this. Leveled up to 4, and decided to take the plunge and find a group.

Let me begin by saying I am sorry to those poor, patient souls. I was a disaster.

Things you forget after six years:

1.) Locations of dungeons
2.) Locations of traps
3.) Locations of shrines (which are needed because of #2)
4.) Spirit binding...yeah I was that guy

Also, there were some new things:

1.) New difficulty levels (Reaper what?)
2.) Almost everyone is a TR
3.) Other forms of reincarnation that I don't even understand

I give a lot of thanks to my party that I was in, though I don't expect they will want to see me anytime soon. I'm gonna need to get a bit seasoned before I jump in with a group again. No one was mean or angry with me, and for that I am grateful.

So, challenges ahead:

I have some stuff to learn, that's for sure. I won't really feel comfortable joining a guild until I get my sea-legs back, simply because I don't want to be a lodestone around their neck. The hard part will be learning it all over again, while embracing the new changes.

So until next time, look forward to meeting some new faces.

Best,

V.

C-Dog
01-05-2019, 02:36 PM
I left DDO about 6 years ago... There was an exceedingly small number of players who had reached completionist status, and probably less than 10% of the players had TR'd at that point.
Don't have any numbers to back this up, but 10% ~sounds~ very low. True, back then the game had far less incentive to TR, and it was harder than it is now, so... maybe? Either way, a LOT less than currently, both absolute #'s and %'s.

WB!

Brandwynn
01-05-2019, 04:20 PM
I have some stuff to learn, that's for sure. I won't really feel comfortable joining a guild until I get my sea-legs back, simply because I don't want to be a lodestone around their neck. The hard part will be learning it all over again, while embracing the new changes.

So until next time, look forward to meeting some new faces.

Best,

V.

Do join a guild. Many guilds today do teach a Noob.. Even a returning noob. Why make it harder than it needs to be. Just my 2 cents worth.