PDA

View Full Version : Selvera's Heroic Sorcerer

Selvera
12-17-2018, 03:27 PM
(For those looking for just the build, not the rambling; final build at the bottom)

So you’re a melee player; but then the spell pass came along and you want to get in on all those new shiny spells but you’re not sure how to get started?

Warning: This is a build guide for people in a similar situation to me (if there are any) – Having a half the pastlives (melee focused); halfway to reaper wings; Looking to do racial reincarnations; and not daunted by acquiring any gear as long as it’s not raid based. The goal of this build and guide is to get past lives quickly; any suggestions to this extent I encourage and welcome. This build is still theoretical, and I'm sure numerous improvements/tweaks could be made to it as I do a few lives in this build.

This build/guide goes with pure 18 sorcerer, why? Because the shiny new super powerful damage spells are all higher level spells; and the faster we get to those; the faster we 1hit mobs and get to push to higher difficulties at zerg speed.

Levels 1-3: The Meta Eldritch Knight!
So sorcs are not known for their early power. In my previous sorc life (before the pass) I tried out levels 1-3 using almost only burning hands and acid spray; and I’ve found that they both have horribly short range, you’re practically using a melee cleave. So, if I have a ton of melee-based pastlives, why not just melee? Eldritch strike IS a melee cleave with bonus damage, at level 2 we’re looking at 2d12+4+2d2 (Average 21 given 30 spellpower) damage with eldritch strike; not including pastlives (which give up to +6 more damage on it). A savant’s Acid spray, on the other hand, only deals 3d6+3 (average 18, given 40 spellpower) damage, and only gets approximately +1.5 damage from full stacks of the appropriate past life. If you’re dedicated enough to have a level 2 twink weapon waiting for you; your level 2 eldritch strike can do as much as 5d6+12+2d6+2d2 (40 average damage) with eldritch strike; and have both vorpal and ghost touch. The +25 HP from EK is quite nice from 1-3 and matters a lot less 4+, when you’ve got your reaper points, and I've found the acid/fire AoE caster to have some difficulties with certain immunities early on (slimes and fire mephits mostly). An EK can easily have a backup weapon for slimes and mephits aren't a problem at all.

Build options:
(Race of choice)
Con 18, Int 12, Cha 18, other stats 8 (before racial adjustments),
Skill to max: UMD, Spellcraft, Concentration. Level 2+: Add Jump
Feat: (level 1) Maximize, (level 3) Empower
Spells: (level 1) Jump, Master’s touch (level 2) Shield (Level 3) Electric Bolt

Pastlife Stance Choices:
Arcane: Enchant Weapon
Martial: Doublestrike
Primal: ? (I don’t like any of them)
Divine: Brace
Iconic: Scourge

Enhancements (12 of 12 AP)
Eldritch Knight (Sorcerer) (12 AP)

Eldritch Strike, Spellsword

Improved Mage Armor I, Arcane Siphon III, Toughness III
Improved Shield I
Arcane Barrier

Items:
(Level 1)
Weapon: Ember Greataxe (the free one you get for skipping the grotto)
Armor: Apprentice's Robe (the free one you get for creating a character)
Belt: Bloodknuckle’s Loincloth with master’s gift slotted
Neck: Necklace of Contemplation
Ring 2: Cannith crafted, Underwater action and Swim
Quiver: Quiver of Alacrity (upgraded)
Misc: Cursed blade of Jack Jibbers, Greater Harper Pin

(Level 2)
Goggles: Cannith crafted (level 2) -> Seeker, Deadly
Helm: Cannith crafted (level 2) -> Sheltering, Resistance (replace this with a reaper stats helm if you find one)
Trinket: Cannith crafted (level 2) -> Melee alacrity of truesight
Gloves: Cannith crafted (level 2) -> Strength, Resistance
Cloak: Cannith crafted (level 2) -> Feather Falling, natural armour
Boots: Cannith crafted (level 2) -> Combat Mastery, Fire Guard

(Level 3)
Bracers: Bracers of the wind

Levels 4-9: Scorched Earth tactics
Level 4 is a bit of a game changer for sorc; now with level 2 spells; Scorch stands out as maybe 8-10 times the range of acid spray/burning hands, while doing a bit more damage, meanwhile, you’ve accumulated more caster levels and at level 4 you can start using better caster sticks for more meaningful amounts of spellpower. This all combines to having scorch deal competitive damage to eldrich strike; although it’s a good idea to keep using both for a couple more levels.

Leveling Options:
Stats: All Charisma
Skills: Keep going with UMD, Spellcraft, Concentration and Jump
Feats: (Level 6) Completionist* (Level 9) Pastlife: Wizard*
Spells: (Level 4) Scorch (Level 5) Web (Level 6) Acid Blast (Level 7) Knock, Deep Slumber (Level 8) Acid Rain (Level 9)

*Note: Completionist > PL: Wizard > Spell Focus Evocation > Greater Spell Focus Evocation, if you don’t have the better versions of the feats on this list; get the “best” version of the feat that you can get.

Items:
(Level 4)
Mainhand weapon: Any martial random loot weapon with 1d8 damage die and vorpal. Scimis and rapiers also ok. Sharn weapons aren’t terrible.
Offhand Weapon: Ornamented Dagger
(Alternate is just craft a casting stick with fire spellpower and an offhand with acid spellpower)

(Level 7)
Offhand: Golden Orb of Death
(For twinking; you can also use the shaman’s set from red fens at 7, to be replaced at level 10)

(Level 8)
Trinket: Slavelords crafted 5 rings -> Constitution, Resistance, Spell Focus Mastery, Quality MRR
Ring: Spinneret

Enhancements:
Immediately upon taking level 4; you’re going to want to respect your AP as such:

Eldritch Knight (Sorcerer) (6 AP)

Eldritch Strike, Spellsword

Improved Mage Armor I, Arcane Siphon III

Fire Savant (6 AP)

Fire Savant, Fire Affinity

Burning Hands II, Conflagration II

Then you’ll want to start filling out the fire savant enhancement tree with all your additional points. At level 6 you can respec all your points out of EK and put them into earth savant.

Fire Savant (18 AP)

Fire Savant, Fire Affinity, Greater Fire Affinity

Burning Hands III, Spell Critical, Conflagration III
Spell Critical, Fanning the Flames I
Spell Critical, Charisma

Earth Savant (6 AP)

Earth Savant, Earth Affinity

One with the Soil II, Spell Critical

Also at level 6, you’ll want to switch up your pastlife stances:
Arcane: Energy Criticals
Martial: Skill Mastery
Iconic: Deep Gnome

By the time you’re decked out at level 9; your enhancements should look something like this:

Fire Savant (27 AP)

Fire Savant, Fire Affinity, Greater Fire Affinity

Burning Hands III, Spell Critical, Conflagration III
Spell Critical, Fanning the Flames I
Spell Penetration, Spell Critical, Charisma
Scorch III, Spell Critical, Charisma

Earth Savant (9 AP)

Earth Savant, Earth Affinity

One with the Soil III, Spell Critical
Spell Critical

Level 10: Make the jump to lightspeed
You may have noticed that at level 9 you started picking up lightning spells. That was in preparation for level 10; where you get ball lightning, the first of the high damage lightning spells. It’s sort of like fireball or acid blast; but it deals about 20% more damage, less enemies are immune to it and it has a higher max caster level. You also have electric loop as an AoE cc, and a couple other electic spells for sp-efficient single target damage if you need. In 2 more levels; you’ll pick up chain lightning; which does even more damage and has a different AoE which is useful in some situations. I’ll need a little testing on this; but I think around now you can just permanently turn on maximize and empower and zerg quests. (Never max/empower lightning bolt, its primary strength is costing 2 AP if you need to finish off something real cheap).
At level 12, we get to the real reason I picked air savant as the dominant savant choice. If you’re running through quests killing everything in 1 to 2 spells and thinking “boy I wish I could push a button to run faster right now”; wind dance is that button. It helps you speed through quests and helps you jump to places that the usual jump+featherfall combos might find hard or impossible. At level 12 you’ll also want to pick up awaken elemental weakness; since it lets you kill any single target enemy that you need to kill (like bosses, or champs).

For sake of brevity, I’ll say to use my: Optimised gear sets #4 and #5 (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/499410-Selvera-s-Optimized-Gearsets) between level 10 and 20; with the exception of the following:
For both gear sets; replace the burnscar sash with the thrummingspark cord. You can also have the burnscar as a swap for when you need to use fire/acid spells.
For the level 15 gearset; replace the wild flame with a crafted weapon of magnatism/insightful magnatism. The wild frost is also good as a swap or a substitute.

By the time you're level 18; the build should look something like this:
HeroicSorc
Sorcerer 18
Race of choice

Stats
. . . . . . . .36pt . . Tome . . Level Up
. . . . . . . .---- . . ----. . .--------
Strength. . . . .8. . . .+5. . . .4: CHA
Dexterity . . . .8. . . .+5. . . .8: CHA
Constitution. . 18. . . .+5. . . 12: CHA
Intelligence. . 12. . . .+5. . . 16: CHA
Wisdom. . . . . .8. . . .+5
Charisma. . . . 18. . . .+5. . .

Skills
. . . . . 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------
Concent . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 21
Spellcr . 4. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 21
UMD . . . 2. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. 10½
Jump. . . . .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .1 .1 .1 .1 .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ . . 10
Balance . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. ½. .3
Bluff . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1 . 1
Tumble. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ½. ½. . . . . . . . . . .1
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------
. . . . .12. 4. 4. 4. 4. 4. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5
Max . . .12. 4. 4. 4. 4. 4. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5. 5

Feats

.1. . . . : Maximize Spell
.3. . . . : Empower Spell
.6. . . . : Completionist
.9. . . . : Past Life: Wizard
12. . . . : Spell Focus: Evocation
15. . . . : Spell Penetration
18. . . . : Greater Spell Penetration

Spells

Jump (1), Master's Touch (1), Shield (2), Electric Bolt (3)
Scorch (4), Web (5), Knock (7), Electric Loop (9)
Acid Blast (6), Deep Slumber (7), Lightning Bolt (9), Displacement (11)
Acid Rain (8), Dimension Door (9), Phantasmal Killer (11), Crushing Despair (13)
Ball Lightning (10), Hold Monster (11), Cone of Cold (13), Mind Fog (15)
Chain Lightning (12), Otiluke's Freezing Sphere (13), Necrotic Ray (15)
Otto's Sphere of Dancing (14), Finger of Death (15), Prismatic Spray (17)
Polar Ray (16), Greater Shout (17)
Thunderstrike (18)

Enhancements (72 of 72 AP)

Air Savant (40 AP) Air Savant, Air Affinity, Greater Air Affinity, Conduction, Light on Your Feet Spell Critical, Electrocution III
Efficient Maximize III, Spell Critical
Efficient Empower I, Spell Penetration, Spell Critical, Charisma
Feather Fall, Spell Critical, Charisma
Awaken Elemental Weakness, Wind Dance, Evocation Focus, Power of Frost
Water Savant (21 AP) Water Savant, Water Affinity, Greater Water Affinity, Hypothermia Cold Ray III, One with the Waves II, Spell Critical
Pierce Cold Resistance I, Spell Critical
Spell Penetration, Spell Critical, Charisma
Eldritch Knight (Sorcerer) (11 AP) Eldritch Strike, Spellsword, Imbue the Blade Improved Mage Armor I, Battlemage III
Improved Shield I, Wand and Scroll Mastery III

Note: I played around with a few enhancement setups; and I went with a 40/21/11 because it offers the highest of all types of spellpower of all the splits I considered, with the maximum caster level of cold spells that you could reasonably obtain, and gets a good selection of the bells/whistles from other considered splits. Other splits I considered were:
44/28 (air/water) -> 14 less cold spellpower, 14 less non-cold spellpowers, more cold spell critical, +1 charisma, less defenses/healing, fully meta'd spells cost 4 Sp less to cast
42/15/15 -> 12 less cold spellpower, 2 less non-cold spellpowers, -1 caster level/max caster level of cold spells, -1 Spell pen, +1 Charisma, Arcane barrier, fully meta'd spells cost 2 SP less to cast

Xyfiel
12-17-2018, 10:28 PM
I have discussed the melee or caster early levels with multiple people this year. I can't say for certain which is better but your comparison is missing quite a lot.

By level 3 a caster Sorc should have:
Maximize
Empower
Robe of Duality(+2 caster levels to level one spells)
Some item combination of Cloak of Flames, Rock Boots, Tattered Gloves, Ring of Elemental Essence

This makes your Fire and Acid sla's cast at level 4 while level 2 and level 5 at level 3. It costs a total of 8 aps so can be gotten at the end of level 2. Your spell power for them will be 150+75+55 = 280 plus any other bonuses like spellcraft or ship. This does not require any spell slots but I recommend taking the normal acid and using it without metas as a 3 spell rotation. You can still take EK cleave at level 3 if you want or move up fire and/or acid. None of the items take up a weapon slot so you can still melee. At level 4 and 5 you should take scorch and web. At 6 respec to whatever you want.

cru121
12-17-2018, 11:33 PM
I prefer Xyfiel's style for earliest game:

At level 2:
Robe of Duality
Necklace of Contemplation
Quiver of Alacrity
Runic Trinket
(Mithral Heavy Shield, Casting Dexterity Gloves of Resistance with Master's Gift)
+4 charisma potions
(Barb hire)

With 8 AP divided to two savants, you get 2 SLAs at caster level 5. Combine with Sonic Blast to pause the game while the SLAs recharge. Run through reaper harbor at level 2 while banking 3.

At level 5:
Spell Focus Mastery 2 (cannith crafted hat)
Might of the Abishai 3 piece set

At level 8:
5 piece Slavers set

Selvera
12-18-2018, 04:39 AM
I have discussed the melee or caster early levels with multiple people this year. I can't say for certain which is better but your comparison is missing quite a lot.

Interesting discussion; and interestingly enough both melee and spell seem to differ level 2 and 3 pretty considerably.

Level 2:

Burning Hands/Acid Spray focus:
Robe of duality (it's sure worth farming; I agree) -> spells caster level +2, Savant caster level +1
Base spell damage: (5d6+5)*spell power = 21.5 average
Spellpower: cannith crafting = 43, +2 implement, +3 skill tome, +2 rem tome, +4 skill points, +18 guild buffs, +10 cores, +6 savant AP, +150 metamagic = 238
Spell Critical chance: 5% (base) +2% (savant, if you aren't going for 2x sla's at level 2) = 7%

Total damage: 78 damage per target, SLA's have 4 second CD and cost 2 SP, the spell has 1.5 second CD and costs 4+25 SP.

Advantages: Can rotate multiple spells for an effective much shorter cooldown
Disadvantages: Slimes/mephits are annoying, the spell either costs a chunk of SP or is much lower damage, if my no/low caster pastlives mean they might save against it?

Eldritch Strike focus:
Vorpal Greatsword of Bludgeoning +1 = (2.75[2d6]+1)*melee power*crit*glancing blow bonus +1d6 (+2d2)*spell power
Strength: 8 (starting) +2 (guild) +2 (tome) +4 (bull's strength) = 16 (+3)
Bonus damage: +6 (pastlives) +4 (strength) +2 (item) = +12
Melee power: 2 (remnant tome)
Spellpower (as above, no metamagic/savant): 72 + 30 (arcane siphon) = 102

Total damage: 41.5 + 3.5 + 6 = 51 damage per target, with a 12 second cooldown. While on cooldown reduced to an average of 32 damage/hit of which most of it is single target. Arcane Siphon has higher damage (57), but is single target and has a cooldown as well.

Advantages: Nothing at low level is immune to physical or force attacks (although some things resist it), never run out of mana, more HP. AoE seems to me to be better then Burning hands/acid spray. It's essentially auto-hit.
Disadvantages: Math above says it's less damage, attacking slimes requires swapping to a backup weapon or causing large amounts of item damage.

Level 3:

Burning Hands/Acid Spray focus: (Still caster level 5 = cap)
Base spell damage: (5d6+5)*spell power = 21.5 average
Spellpower: Previous + 1 (levelup skill point) + 75 (empower) = 314
Average damage: 95

Eldritch Strike focus: (Now gets spellsword damage both on eldritch strike and on the cleave's regular hit
Eldrich Strike = (2.75[2d6]+1)*melee power*crit*glancing blow bonus +1d6 (+3d2 +3d2 +1d6)*spell power
Bonus damage/spellpower hasn't significantly changed.

Average damage: 41.5 + 3.5 + 29 = 74 damage per target. However; the increase in damage to auto attacks and Arcane siphon is much smaller (40/64 respectively).

Certainly robe of duality and metamagics are important to consider. Last (sorc) life I did burning hands/acid spray and wasn't overly impressed, next life I'll try EK and see if I like it better/worse.

Oh, and

I prefer Xyfiel's style for earliest game:

At level 2:
Robe of Duality
Necklace of Contemplation
Quiver of Alacrity
Runic Trinket
(Mithral Heavy Shield, Casting Dexterity Gloves of Resistance with Master's Gift)
+4 charisma potions
(Barb hire)

At level 5:
Spell Focus Mastery 2 (cannith crafted hat)
Might of the Abishai 3 piece set

At level 8:
5 piece Slavers set

Yikes; you recommend sets at levels 2, 5, 8, 10 and 15? That's a heck of a lot of items to fit into the TR stash, hmm... interesting.

It sort of seems to me that gearing for casters isn't the same as gearing or melees that I'm used to. For melees it's all about the gearset tetris of getting all the useful effects into one set of gear; and that can last you 5-10 levels. For casters I'm starting to think it's more of a BiS competition, and less of a tetris game of trying to fit everything into one set of gear, allowing gearing casters to be more fluid of replacing items more easily/at different levels.

cru121
12-18-2018, 05:57 AM
Yikes; you recommend sets at levels 2, 5, 8, 10 and 15?
I recommend keeping 5 piece slavers sorcery until 28.

Selvera
12-18-2018, 01:15 PM
I recommend keeping 5 piece slavers sorcery until 28.

If I were to try and work a 5 piece slaver's set into my level 10 set I would:

Gain:
A +1 spell DC's
A +1 cha
Ins fort 35%
Q MRR +3
NAC +5
Q cha +1
Q Spellcraft +2

Lose:
En Cha -1 (from +6 to +5)
Enchant -1 (from +3 to +2)
Ins Enchant -2 (from +2 to 0)
Augment summon
Impuse -7 (from 77 to 70)
Force Lore -1% (from 11 to 10)
Ins MRR -6 (from 6 to 0)
Sheltering -1 (from 14 to 12)
Parrying -2
Insightful PRR -6

So in total; a small increase in spellpower (2), DC's (+1.5 to most DC's), and AC (+3), in exchange for a loss of force spellpower/lore (-7/-1), PRR/MRR (-8/-5), saves (-2) and enchantment DC's (-1.5).

To be fair; I rarely use force spell or enchantment DC's on this build (they're more a warlock thing, although wiz pastlife is force and hold monster is enchantment). Losing 8 PRR is signficiant; but perhaps offset at low levels by having AC +3, mostly it's losing +2 all saves that I'm worried about.

Tilomere
12-18-2018, 02:45 PM
Yikes; you recommend sets at levels 2, 5, 8, 10 and 15? That's a heck of a lot of items to fit into the TR stash, hmm... interesting.

and 20, 24, and 28-30. And gear for melee, ranged, hybrid, and tanking as well, for other builds. You can't possibly fit it all in a TR stash.

While VIP to open elite, create 8 iconic mules and farm up 150 house K and coin lord favor for storage space, and use 1 for gear every 5 levels, and the other 2 for consumables/tomes/crafting blanks.

With a cap alt for farming, and your main for reincarnations, will need at least 10 character slots and a shared bank, but eventually when built out lets you play any build in the game while well-geared.

count_spicoli
12-18-2018, 03:25 PM
What hasn't been discussed is the self healing. How in reaper do you heal yourself? Warlock can do all this plus tenacles plus the bypasses the self healing reduction. Do you think this would level faster than warlock? Was thinking about doing this but just can't seem to believe it's better than warlock.

Selvera
12-18-2018, 03:42 PM
What hasn't been discussed is the self healing. How in reaper do you heal yourself? Warlock can do all this plus tenacles plus the bypasses the self healing reduction. Do you think this would level faster than warlock? Was thinking about doing this but just can't seem to believe it's better than warlock.

The same way that all other classes heal. Hirelings and/or heal scrolls. Sorc is a cha-based class which can get w+s mastery so it's not that bad to self heal.

I use a setup of a heroic GS healamp stick in my offhand with heal scrolls in the main hand; gives a bunch of heal amp; and in low reaper heal scrolls will hit you for 110ish without w+s mastery; or 190ish with w+s. With this much heal amp; hirelings usually heal me for 600+ with a single spell, which is a pretty solid amount for a heroic HP pool.

Then, work on killing or ccing mobs before they can damage you. Killing is the better option, and it's what Sorc is good at, much better then a warlock.

Selvera
12-18-2018, 05:30 PM
You can also splash 3 cleric, and run divine healing constantly for 10 hp/sec, or a heal scroll worth every 11 seconds, plus soundburst to reduce the damage you take. With a GS HAMP stick main hand to cancel out the low reaper penalty, and a spell casting implement shield offhand that also reduces damage from magic burst due to doubling MRR, you generally won't need any other source of healing.

Delaying your damage spells for 3 levels will net the average player taking more damage because they're not killing mobs as fast. It would completely remove the level 9 spells from the equation; and dealing level 9 spell-tier of damage is very useful killing some of the level 19 rednames in reaper difficulties.
The build is pure sorc for a reason; and it has no problems with self healing.

Tilomere
12-18-2018, 05:46 PM
Edit: nvm, I'll take that out, its not part of your build. But if you hold 18 until capped for grouping, then you only get a single level 9 spell, so you have to pick between mass hold, for AoE helpless, or a level 9 damage spell. Either choice, and you aren't really doing helpless boosted lvl 9 spell-tier damage anyways.

Alled78
12-19-2018, 10:08 AM
Edit: nvm, I'll take that out, its not part of your build. But if you hold 18 until capped for grouping, then you only get a single level 9 spell, so you have to pick between mass hold, for AoE helpless, or a level 9 damage spell. Either choice, and you aren't really doing helpless boosted lvl 9 spell-tier damage anyways.

hold monster useless in heeroic take banshee

i took hold 3 times (in 3 hheroci lives) and mobs were always dead before casting xd, so go bansheee or damage spell

Selvera
12-19-2018, 01:22 PM
I don't know of any build that gets helpless level 9 spell damage against red named bosses in heroic levels.

And I'm rather partial to agree with Alled here, mass CC only seems to be very helpful in stormhorns (and even then). If you want to do stormhorns (I often do) you can take level 19 and get mass hold monster. Single target hold monster is sufficient for any champ resistant to your damage type.

Coffey
12-19-2018, 08:18 PM
At level 12, we get to the real reason I picked air savant as the dominant savant choice. If you’re running through quests killing everything in 1 to 2 spells and thinking “boy I wish I could push a button to run faster right now”; wind dance is that button. It helps you speed through quests and helps you jump to places that the usual jump+featherfall combos might find hard or impossible. At level 12 you’ll also want to pick up awaken elemental weakness; since it lets you kill any single target enemy that you need to kill (like bosses, or champs).

I am going to try wind dance and awaken elemental weakness out on my sorcerer since i already have reached level 11 on an abandoned alt character. I hadnt looked this far in to the build but these look like awesome abilities to have.

Selvera
12-21-2018, 12:07 PM
Did 1-3 on an EK sorc like this build details; found a ML2 vorpal greataxe in the AH so I used that; it didn't have a damage suffix, but I figured it was good enough. It was... pretty run of the mill average by how it felt. I didn't have any great difficulties with any quests except where there's smoke (had troubles with that one before) and I didn't feel like there were any problem mobs or sticking points in any quests. I broke the ember greataxe on oozes in Durk's, but I still had the vorpal greataxe up for killing the kobolds at the end.

Now that I'm level 4 I have scorch and the burning hands SLA and I expect those to do the bulk of the work; but I still have that EK investment for anything fire immune or if I find I'm running low on mana.

Coffey
12-21-2018, 03:24 PM
I broke the ember greataxe on oozes in Durk's, but I still had the vorpal greataxe up for killing the kobolds at the end.

The Collaborator level 2 quest is a good place to pick up a few Great Axes as it takes about 4 mins to run. It is one of the weapons you can choose from the barkeep after the quest is run.

Edit: Awaken Elemental Weakness: Electric: You are able to curse an enemy, increasing Electric damage they take by 15%. When cast on a creature that is immune to that tree's Element, it makes them vulnerable to that element for a short period of time. This will help with elemental immunity from level 12 on.

Selvera
01-03-2019, 12:42 PM
Just finished running 2 pastlives on this build, and I can say that I still have more to learn about how to run it. SP is an issue; but one that you can overcome by choosing the right difficulty for your current gear/pastlives. For this build, all of the damage comes from having the correct gear, and all of the defense comes from having pastlives/reaper points.

For both lives; I started running R1 at level 1, bumped it up to R2 at about level 10, R3 at level 13, then dropped back down to R2 at about level 15/16.

The first time I ran with a melee weapon levels 1-6 as I recommend in the OP. It was very mediocre; sort of felt like any other melee life I've ran that was neither super dominant nor totally gimp.

For the second time; I swapped out Master's gift for Acid Spray (level 1 spells) and started putting points into savants at level 1 instead of EK. I found that with metamagics I was able to clear some dungeons faster then melee, but some dungeons I ran out of SP and had to fall back on no metamagics or lackluster melee abilities. Without metamagics, the damage of the build is rather low, and killing reapers was a bit of a challenge levels 1-3. (Oozes could be unpleasant to kill; but not so bad if you could get them grouped up and acid spray them a few times.)

I swapped the levels I took deep slumber and displacement in the 2nd life, and enjoyed the change. Displacement is a nice defense, and you can't clickie it until level 12, so getting it at a lower level actually matters. Deep slumber was great for about 2 quests when I tried it the first time; but not as consistently good as displacement.

The second life I took Iceberg at 18 instead of Thunderstrike, because I still had the druid's deep to run; which has a lot of wisps in it; and wisps are immune to lightning damage. Iceberg was able to 1shot wisps on r2 if it crit; and if it didn't crit polar ray or otiluke's sphere would finish off the wisp pretty fast. The only downside I found to this was the bosses in A break in the Ice are both immune to cold; but they're not very challenging, and I had party members to do some of the damage for me. I took level 19 for What Goes Up, and the combination of using both Iceberg and Thunderstrike comes pretty close to killing any flight piller or Shadowvar. (Shadowvar can be held with hold monster if you get your enchantment DC up high enough).

I'm considering taking Spell focus: Evocation and Quicken instead of spell penetration, there don't seem to be many SR mobs I fight levels 15+, while there are mobs with evasion that have good reflex saves. And Quicken makes Otto's Danceball way easier to use for grouping up large mobs of enemies.

I took a vid of running some R3 level 13's. Not the cleanest quests I've ever done but it does showcase the power and weaknesses of the build a bit. If people care to see it I'll upload it to youtube and such.

AbyssalMage
01-13-2019, 03:53 PM
Pastlife Stance Choices:

The Queen would be very upset if she reads this. I actually like it even if it is completely random. Sometimes it gets me out of a "sticky situation" and other times it does nothing. It saves me, it stays unless something better could be recommended.

:)

Selvera
02-06-2019, 05:37 PM
Speaking to suggestions and theorycrafting behind itemization including the Might of the Abashi 3 piece set. This theorycraft is focused on maximizing the damage/effectiveness of your Sorc; and I believe that the level 15 gearset easily has good enough gear that losing 3 slots for +1 caster level isn’t worth it. So I’m focusing on levels 5-14 here.

The set is 5 possible items; although a sorc would be mostly interested in the 3 piece set bonus of “your evocation spells get +1 caster level (stacks with pretty much everything)”. Meanwhile the other things the items give range from fairly trivial to outright useless. Now is it worth givingup 3 gear slots for +1 caster level?

In theory; totally; increasing your damage from 7d6+14 to 8d6+16 on a scorch at level 5 is a 14% increase in damage that multiplies with all your other damage multipliers; this is pretty big. But one has to notice a couple caveats with this.

1) It only increases your evocation caster levels; while I’m suggesting taking/using some acid spells since they have nice utility of not breaking web (which is awesome CC) and getting past some immunities that fire doesn’t. And the acid spells are conjuration for some reason; so no benefit from Abashi 3 piece set. They could benefit from an abashi 5 piece set.

2) It only increases your caster levels; not your maximum caster levels. Which means that when you run into your max caster level for a spell; adding more caster levels is pretty useless.

So to this end; I’ll make a breakdown of the damage spells this build plans to use primarily to get it from levels 5 to 14:

Let’s start with some assumptions.
For most of these spells/levels, you will have the first 2 core sorc enhancements; giving +2 caster levels (but not max caster levels) to your spells of that element. You may also have the 3rd core at some relevant levels; but since it adds both caster and max caster levels; it does not affect how quickly you run into max caster level problems, so it can be ignored for now.
For levels 2-9; the Robe of Duality is the best caster robe; and you will be wearing it. This gives +2 caster levels with level 1 spells.

Electric Bolt – Max caster level 10, in the pertinent levels you will not have +2 caster levels from your savant, however you will be wearing the robe of duality. Without Abashi set you cap your caster level at level 8 sorc, with the set you cap it at level 7 sorc. (Abashi set useful from levels 5-7)
Burning Hands – Max caster level 5, you have +2 from sorc and +2 from duality; you cap your caster level at level 1. (Abashi set not useful)
Scorch – Max caster level 10, +2 levels from sorc, you cap at caster level 8 without abashi, 7 with. (Abashi useful from levels 5-7)
Acid Blast – Conjuration, Abashi 3 piece doesn’t apply
Acid Rain – Conjuration, Abashi 3 piece doesn’t apply
Ball Lightning – Max caster level 15, +2 levels from sorc. Abashi set useful from levels 10-13.
Chain Lightning – Max caster level 20, +2 levels from sorc. Abashi set useful from levels 12-17.
Cone of Cold – Max caster level 15, +2 levels from sorc. Abashi set useful at level 13 (build doesn’t take it until 13, so only useful 1 level).
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere – Max caster level 20, +2 levels from sorc. Abashi set useful from levels 13-17.

Now; it is important to note that one could easily take fireball instead of acid blast as their primary damage from levels 5-9; in which case the Abashi set is useful for that spell from levels 5-7.

So what we have is that the Abashi set can improve your overall damage mostly from levels 5-7 (especially if you use fireball instead of acid blast) and from levels 10-17 on some spells. However from 15+ I don’t consider it good enough to give up 3 items regardless of what they are.

Item slots Abashi can replace:
Bracers – At level 5, this will remove one of Sorc’s best defensive items. At level 10 it doesn’t hurt much except for breaking up the ravenloft set.
Helm – At level 5, this causes almost no problems; the low level helm is pretty useless. At level 10 this is a tradeoff of a mediocre amount of defenses. At level 13 this is a large DPS drop due to this being the slot for the panasophic circlet.
Gloves – At level 5, this is pretty much a strict upgrade from the suggested level 2 gloves. At level 10 this is a no go; losing the ravenloft caster set is far more important than a caster level on a few spells.
Boots – At level 5, this is a pretty easy replacement, boots have dropped off by now. At level 10 this means losing the insightful charisma item, some defenses, and breaking up the ravenloft set bonus.
Cloak – At level 5, this is a moderate defense loss (both phiarlan mirror cloak and cloak of the mimic are pretty good defense bonuses). At level 10 this means losing insightful evocation DC’s and breaking up your ravenloft set bonus.

To this end; I can consider it totally optimal for a sorc to wear a 3 piece; or even a 5 piece set at levels 5 to 7; the bonus damage would easily outpace the lost defenses, especially if they’re using web effectively.
At level 10 it’s a harder call; given that only ball lightning is really useful before level 13 and you don’t really want to give up insightful charisma or insightful evocation DC’s. Bracers/helm/cloak might serve level 10-12 just fine. Bracers/cloak/boots might work for 13-14. Or maybe just skip using the set at these levels. Kind of a tough choice.

Edit: And a note for hybrids. While I don't suggest you hybrid this build; as getting spells asap is important; you'll have less caster levels by the time that you get your gear; so the Abashi set can be the best option for an extra level or two for a hybrid character. (To not be as far behind in dps during those levels).

Whitering
02-07-2019, 04:51 PM
I would go straight 20 Sorc now, easily, nothing you get from other classes will make up for it. The old 18/2 paly from my Neverwinter Nights and BG doesn't give you much here.

Hybrid is just going to weaken the character. If you are only going to 20 you will typically cap at 18 or 19, then I guess you could take 1 FVS at 19 or something.

Kebtid
03-27-2019, 07:32 AM
Your focus at all times should be caster levels, spellpower and dc combined.
What suplements lack of spellpoints can be changed by going more spellpower.
You want challenge items from 3 and til cap as they offer the most benefit spellpower wise, you want the event stick for lv 5 that gives most fire spellpower and acid spellpower at level, you want to abuse duality robe and abi set for even higher spell caster levels, you want clickies, sp discount clickies, all you can find, you want the dodge and spell crit damage clickies.
Abbot, cove, mabar all offer irreplacable items that make the journy much faster.
You dont need to swing a axe, ever, not once, if you do it it is only if you dip into eldritch for the 30 spellpower.

You want spellcraft items, custom crafted at higher levels, you want spellpower points, you want dc gear, you want ravenloft spellpower set.
You need a better selection of spells, (actually helpless is useful in heroic, single target hold, sonic blast, hypno all help to make more space from reapers).

Wings at lv 12 is the single best defensive tool we have as sorcs in heroic content.

All depends on skulls you run quests on, but from doing 6 lifes in row as sorc im pretty confident that sorc can effectively run 7 8 skulls on most quests from mid levels, up til then its a mix between 4 and 5 skulls and early levels 3 skulls-4skulls.
For r1 runs, sorc beats warlock in all possible ways, to do it that way, get sp boost wings and nuke away.

Issue is that you need to select quests you run, as it is not a allrounder like wlock.
It lacks the temp hp, but with enough focus on spellpower it can do some quests faster. (boss fights with no charm is where sorc excels at)

Also why dont i see anyone suggest a gsteel sp int skills item in this thread?
Imho its mandatory on a sorc

janave
03-27-2019, 08:05 AM
I would go straight 20 Sorc now, easily, nothing you get from other classes will make up for it. The old 18/2 paly from my Neverwinter Nights and BG doesn't give you much here.

Hybrid is just going to weaken the character. If you are only going to 20 you will typically cap at 18 or 19, then I guess you could take 1 FVS at 19 or something.

Traps are extra painful on a Sorcerer, 2 Monk is worth considering for a heroic build. Half elves may choose Paladin as their dilletante feat to add a few points of extra saves.

- 2 reflex
- 4% dodge
- feat: 3% dodge or deflect arrows
- evasion
- 10 hamp for 1ap
- elemental words curse, probably not worth it for heroic tho, unless something has massive hps
- stance if centered: (Water is a good one) +2 Wisdom, +3% dodge, +2 Maximum Dodge and +2 to all Saving Throws at a cost of -2 Strength.

First life Sorcs are extra squishy, especially in newer content that automatically assumes having decent PRR/MRR stats.

Kebtid
03-27-2019, 01:27 PM
Traps are extra painful on a Sorcerer, 2 Monk is worth considering for a heroic build. Half elves may choose Paladin as their dilletante feat to add a few points of extra saves.

- 2 reflex
- 4% dodge
- feat: 3% dodge or deflect arrows
- evasion
- 10 hamp for 1ap
- elemental words curse, probably not worth it for heroic tho, unless something has massive hps
- stance if centered: (Water is a good one) +2 Wisdom, +3% dodge, +2 Maximum Dodge and +2 to all Saving Throws at a cost of -2 Strength.

First life Sorcs are extra squishy, especially in newer content that automatically assumes having decent PRR/MRR stats.

Unless low reaper i would not suggest doing this as the pushback by 2 levels on crucial spells is terrible for leveling.
While the defensive tools come in handy i dont see a single trap in the content that is worth running in heroic for past life that is deadly (outside of wiz king where you can use a hire for levers).
Past life cons, epic plife hp, at level max gear and shield from ek are more then enough for survival in 90% of the content.

kpak01
03-29-2019, 08:29 AM
Pastlife Stance Choices:

Doubleshot is, of course, useless to a non-ranged build.

Colors is extra DPS, but sometimes does bad things when you don't want it to; it can break quests, ruin raids, and make party members mad at you. So who wants to worry about remembering to turn it on and off for those situations?

Fast Healing isn't really fast, but there's absolutely no downside to getting a random chunk of extra healing every once in a while. Just turn it on at level 1 and never turn it off or think about it again. That's what I'd suggest.

aGarde
04-05-2019, 10:33 AM
I'm shocked no one mentioned sonic blast.. IMO it's easily a low level sorc's best spell .. stun everything that isn't immune to stun.. then figure out how you'll kill the stunned mobs.. It's like an easy button.

cru121
04-05-2019, 10:39 AM
I'm shocked no one mentioned sonic blast.. IMO it's easily a low level sorc's best spell .. stun everything that isn't immune to stun.. then figure out how you'll kill the stunned mobs.. It's like an easy button.

3rd post:

At level 2:
With 8 AP divided to two savants, you get 2 SLAs at caster level 5. Combine with Sonic Blast to pause the game while the SLAs recharge. Run through reaper harbor at level 2 while banking 3.