PDA

View Full Version : question about a cleric

gracey
12-12-2018, 07:56 PM
I've been trying to gather info so i don't bugger up my char too bad on the first try but I can't find anything on this question.

is there any major reason to have more than 20 wis on a cleric?

20 is enough to cast every spell and clerics don't have dc on buffs and heals,
besides from a small bonus to sp amount, I feel those points could be used in other stats like str and con.

vryxnr
12-12-2018, 08:36 PM
If you're only buffing and healing, not much. Though extra SP means more heals over the course of a quest.

However, there are many cleric spells that are CC and DPS and instakill oriented, and thus have saves. If you use any of those ever you will want your DCs as high as possible.

Vish
12-12-2018, 08:38 PM
You would want highest wisdom,
If you do any kind of spell casting
DCs figure off wisdom for clerics,
So combat spells use dc

Also if you're going to melee,
You can get wisdom conversion in falconry tree

It is a big plus to consolidate to one main stat
Plus, all those bonus spell points help

Also, in epics, there are spells that figure dc on wisdom
Like mass frog
Which currently is big deal,
Along with implosion

So generally it's better to max wisdom on a cleric,
And take all levels there,
As well as enhancements

Hope this helped

gracey
12-12-2018, 08:52 PM
You would want highest wisdom,
If you do any kind of spell casting
DCs figure off wisdom for clerics,
So combat spells use dc

Also if you're going to melee,
You can get wisdom conversion in falconry tree

It is a big plus to consolidate to one main stat
Plus, all those bonus spell points help

Also, in epics, there are spells that figure dc on wisdom
Like mass frog
Which currently is big deal,
Along with implosion

So generally it's better to max wisdom on a cleric,
And take all levels there,
As well as enhancements

Hope this helped

this is very useful info, enough to make me rethink the build i had planed on. thank you.

archest
12-13-2018, 08:50 AM
Skill points for cleric are determined by the base number of Intelligence points....
you get 2 each level for 11 base points at character creation you can gain an extra point each level by making that a 12.

Selvera
12-13-2018, 03:21 PM
Ok; it depends a lot on what you want the build to do. I've built clerics who max wis above all else; and I've built clerics that start with 10 wis and don't go much above 20 ever.

What widom gives a cleric:
- +1 DC per 2 points of wisdom on all cleric spells that have DC's, and some non-cleric spells such as mass frog. Mostly these are either damage or CC spells (or combo damage/cc spells). Heals/buffs don't have DC's.
- Up to 29 spellpoints per point of wisdom (based on level).
- 1 point of positive spellpower per 2 wisdom (This is a very very small bonus)
- +1 to will save throws

If you're planning on having your cleric melee as their primary source of damage; strength and/or charisma is usually more useful then wisdom.
If you're planning on having your cleric use a bow as their primary source of damage... I'm planning on writing a guide on that; but likely dex is the most important stat, and elf the only viable race.
If you're planing on having your cleric cast spells as their primary source of damage; maximum wisdom is the only way to go.
If you're planning on having your cleric turning undead and/or healing as their primary contribution to the party; maxing charisma is likely the best option.
If you're planning on having your cleric tanking in any form; maxing constitution is probably the way you want to go.

And as a side note; don't be afraid to make mistakes on your first character. Everyone makes mistakes on their first character; I made tons!
The important part is to identify what went wrong and improve.
If you pick a class and go pure in that class (don't multiclass) and built towards one of the enhancement trees, you will essentially be able to make a character strong enough to contribute to a party all the way to level 20. (at which point you get the option to reroll with benefits; or push on into epic levels).

archest
02-26-2019, 08:12 AM
I've been trying to gather info so i don't bugger up my char too bad on the first try but I can't find anything on this question.

is there any major reason to have more than 20 wis on a cleric?

20 is enough to cast every spell and clerics don't have dc on buffs and heals,
besides from a small bonus to sp amount, I feel those points could be used in other stats like str and con.

will save .

Ballrus
02-26-2019, 10:08 AM
Melee cleric or caster cleric?