PDA

View Full Version : Auto attack on holding the Attack button

Chacka_DDO
11-26-2018, 07:26 AM
Maybe I just dont know how and this option already exist but for me, the Auto Attack option in DDO is not a good working way because it has some downsides I cannot accept.
e.g. there is the most time a short delay if you select a new target before the attacks actually start.
Therefore I usually smash my left mouse button over and over again and that's on the long run not very healthy for my Index finger joints and I "killed" already several mice with that :D.
So I would suggest that it is enough to hold your Attack button (in my case the left mouse button) to perform some kind of auto attack.
Technically "click->hold" leads into "attack one time->auto attack"

Igognito
11-26-2018, 11:30 AM
Maybe I just dont know how and this option already exist but for me, the Auto Attack option in DDO is not a good working way because it has some downsides I cannot accept.
e.g. there is the most time a short delay if you select a new target before the attacks actually start.
Therefore I usually smash my left mouse button over and over again and that's on the long run not very healthy for my Index finger joints and I "killed" already several mice with that :D.
So I would suggest that it is enough to hold your Attack button (in my case the left mouse button) to perform some kind of auto attack.
Technically "click->hold" leads into "attack one time->auto attack"

If you keep holding the mouse button the character keeps attacking.
What I think though is that the 2nd attack delays a bit which probably is a windows/mouse setting.
3rd+ work fine just the 2nd is a bit slower I think.

I never understood what auto-targeting does, and auto attack is a bit lame as it is not really auto-attack.

Cheers

NemesisAlien
11-26-2018, 12:33 PM
What I think though is that the 2nd attack delays a bit which probably is a windows/mouse setting.

I never understood what auto-targeting does, and auto attack is a bit lame as it is not really auto-attack.

Cheers

I have been trying to figure out how to set the auto target and auto attack key, but i just cant find the proper working key for it to work, as in when you see an enemy, it auto targets it without me needing to do anything, then when i within range, auto attacks it, again without me needing to do anything.

PsychoBlonde
11-26-2018, 03:06 PM
I have been trying to figure out how to set the auto target and auto attack key, but i just cant find the proper working key for it to work, as in when you see an enemy, it auto targets it without me needing to do anything, then when i within range, auto attacks it, again without me needing to do anything.

How would you define "see an enemy" in this game?

There is auto-targeting, in that when you mouse-over an enemy it's automatically targeted. The G key is the default for toggling this on and off. But there isn't an auto-target that automatically DETECTS enemies for you. You have to, you know, pay attention.

For most people, the default "Target next enemy" button is Tab. This will automatically cycle your target through any enemy you can see.

Chacka_DDO
11-26-2018, 03:09 PM

Cheers

Nope, he doesn't keep attacking if you hold the attack button beside there is some kind of setting I miss but maybe you can tell me what setting you use.
It is, of course, possible that your mouse driver does some kind of "autofire" if you hold the button then it would work too but my driver doesn't support this.
But to be honest I assume you are just wrong and you should try it if it really works as you think.

Igognito
11-27-2018, 08:17 AM
Nope, he doesn't keep attacking if you hold the attack button beside there is some kind of setting I miss but maybe you can tell me what setting you use.
It is, of course, possible that your mouse driver does some kind of "autofire" if you hold the button then it would work too but my driver doesn't support this.
But to be honest I assume you are just wrong and you should try it if it really works as you think.

Yeap, it keeps attacking if I hold the mouse key. No need to test it, it is the way I play every time I do!
Whether this is a feature of my mouse driver I do not know but I think not... I tried it with different mouses and all worked the same. Also I'm using the generic mouse driver.

I would have liked a keyboard key that does the same (and call continuously attacking or auto attack or whatever) but that doesn't exist.
Auto attack only works if you TAB lock a target and that target is within range. Thus if another target is close to you, you are not attacking... Big mess for melee (for ranged together with auto-targeting might be ok: hover mouse over target, shoot until target is no more targeted)

Igognito
11-27-2018, 08:21 AM
How would you define "see an enemy" in this game?

There is auto-targeting, in that when you mouse-over an enemy it's automatically targeted. The G key is the default for toggling this on and off. But there isn't an auto-target that automatically DETECTS enemies for you. You have to, you know, pay attention.

For most people, the default "Target next enemy" button is Tab. This will automatically cycle your target through any enemy you can see.

Ty, for trying to explain auto-targeting. I guess auto-targeting is really a mouse thing and not a keyboard feature.

I usually move around with the keyboard and not pay attention where the mouse cross is. Which might make sense why it doesn't auto-target even if the target is in front of me.

I assumed the auto-targeting was using both the center of the screen and mouse location. But if it uses only the mouse location then ****... :-D

Cheers

Chacka_DDO
11-27-2018, 11:18 AM
Yeap, it keeps attacking if I hold the mouse key. No need to test it, it is the way I play every time I do!
Whether this is a feature of my mouse driver I do not know but I think not... I tried it with different mouses and all worked the same. Also I'm using the generic mouse driver.

I would have liked a keyboard key that does the same (and call continuously attacking or auto attack or whatever) but that doesn't exist.
Auto attack only works if you TAB lock a target and that target is within range. Thus if another target is close to you, you are not attacking... Big mess for melee (for ranged together with auto-targeting might be ok: hover mouse over target, shoot until target is no more targeted)

Of course, I post this because this work not this way for me (and I tested it).
Therefore, it would be interesting if you any specific settings or if you use another OS (maybe even a Mac)?
From what I see there is only one option to set your attack button so I dont see that I can do anything different.
In Diablo 3 it works this way for me too, which encoraged me to suggest it here.
And this with the same mouse and driver with which it doesn't work in DDO.
And I have still my doubts if it works for you to be honest even more if you tell me there is no need to test it lol.
And that your keyboard key also doesn't do it, it tells me that it is maybe just your mouse driver that does some kind of auto attack if you hold your button and it is not inherent in DDO.

And my suggestion would be to make it inherent in DDO.

Xgya
11-27-2018, 11:31 AM
My mouse is bugged, but when it wasn't, holding the mouse button kept doing the action related to that button (normally, Attack).

I think it has to do with how your mouse detects being held down.

As for me, I play almost mouse-less now. Targeting with Tab and Q, interacting (or attacking) with E.

spyder7723
11-27-2018, 11:34 AM
Holding down left mouse button also works for me. I don't use auto targetting and i change most hot keys to better fit my play style and finger dexterity.

Igognito
11-28-2018, 03:58 AM
I played last night, so yes it WORKs.
What I meant by saying there is no reason to test it. Is that I do not need to as I know it works. I play almost daily and use the attack in that way.

I use Windows 7, but I would not expect that plays a role.
My suggestion to you is to try with a random cheap mouse. If it works then probably the mouse u are using for some reason is not working.
If it doesn't, I dont know how to help you...

In general, I would say that this thread should move to Help instead of suggestion.

Cheers

ps: I haven't tried keeping down E. Probably that works too. It is just not convenient as I need that finger to press D when I turn around.

RAFAR
11-29-2018, 02:27 AM
There's a Feat called "Attack" among your Basic Feats - it's a toggle, as long as you have a hard target*, it will attack without the need of press+holding any button or key. It does have a slight delay though after acquiring a new target, so manually landing the first hits with mouse, then letting the toggle continue the attacking works well.

* Hard targeting means selecting the monster either by keybind or clicking on it. The monster's overhead name will be brighter, becomes bold, and the selection circle will also be brighter and thicker.

The Auto-targeting toggle only grants soft targeting without actually having to aim at the monster with the reticule. Sometimes using this toggle can cause a problem, if the autotargeting switches to a soft target you don't want to attack (yet) - especially with ranged builds.

I'm not sure this helps... but it increases my post count, at least xD

Chacka_DDO
11-29-2018, 03:15 AM
I played last night, so yes it WORKs.
What I meant by saying there is no reason to test it. Is that I do not need to as I know it works. I play almost daily and use the attack in that way.

I use Windows 7, but I would not expect that plays a role.
My suggestion to you is to try with a random cheap mouse. If it works then probably the mouse u are using for some reason is not working.
If it doesn't, I dont know how to help you...

In general, I would say that this thread should move to Help instead of suggestion.

Cheers

ps: I haven't tried keeping down E. Probably that works too. It is just not convenient as I need that finger to press D when I turn around.

As I said it works for me in another game and that I use Windows 10 can be indeed a reason why it is not working for me.

A this doesn't belong to help because I'm quite sure that I do nothing wrong here!

And the fact that this works for you means not at all that you did actively anything right, you may be just have the right system constellation and therefore its just some kind of luck for you that it works.

Chacka_DDO
11-29-2018, 03:26 AM
There's a Feat called "Attack" among your Basic Feats - it's a toggle, as long as you have a hard target*, it will attack without the need of press+holding any button or key. It does have a slight delay though after acquiring a new target, so manually landing the first hits with mouse, then letting the toggle continue the attacking works well.

* Hard targeting means selecting the monster either by keybind or clicking on it. The monster's overhead name will be brighter, becomes bold, and the selection circle will also be brighter and thicker.

The Auto-targeting toggle only grants soft targeting without actually having to aim at the monster with the reticule. Sometimes using this toggle can cause a problem, if the autotargeting switches to a soft target you don't want to attack (yet) - especially with ranged builds.

I'm not sure this helps... but it increases my post count, at least xD

You should read that I clearly said that the Auto Attack Feat is NOT sufficient for me and this should tell you that I'm well aware of this feat and I know to activate it.
Just my conclusion is that this feat is not what I want.

And I know how to hard target a monster, this is the requirement to make your character auto attack a target.

Yet again if you still not get what I want:
I want to hold down my left mouse button which is my Attack button (see keymapping in the options) and then the character should keep attacking.
And this even without any target (no hard or soft target need) the same as if you constantly click your attack button again and again frequently.
Currently, this is not the case for me and there is no way I see to make it work for me with my mouse (Razer Naga Hex V2) and my OS (Windows 10).
But seemingly with another mouse and OS (Windows 7), it works.
But I know exactly this function is working for me in another game (Diablo 3) with exactly my mouse and my OS.
And therefore I believe the developers are able to make it also work for me and others with Windows 10 and a similar mouse(drivers)

And therefore I suggest this here.

Chacka_DDO
11-29-2018, 03:30 AM
Holding down left mouse button also works for me. I don't use auto targetting and i change most hot keys to better fit my play style and finger dexterity.

What OS do you use?

Greantun
11-29-2018, 06:10 AM
What OS do you use?

This does not matter, the default keymapping (yes, mice buttons are there) have this automatically if the mouse does it correctly. I do this all the time, and have done it for years on all different versions of Windows OS.

Make sure your keymapping (Options-> Key Mapping) has Button 0 as the "Attack" option.

Yamani
11-29-2018, 06:32 AM
This does not matter, the default keymapping (yes, mice buttons are there) have this automatically if the mouse does it correctly. I do this all the time, and have done it for years on all different versions of Windows OS.

Make sure your keymapping (Options-> Key Mapping) has Button 0 as the "Attack" option.

Or it's the setting under gameplay which is: Click and hold to attack.
Which is naturally turned on so maybe got turned off at some point.

RAFAR
11-29-2018, 07:09 AM
I want to hold down my left mouse button which is my Attack button (see keymapping in the options) and then the character should keep attacking.
And this even without any target (no hard or soft target need) the same as if you constantly click your attack button again and again frequently.
Currently, this is not the case for me and there is no way I see to make it work for me with my mouse (Razer Naga Hex V2) and my OS (Windows 10).
But seemingly with another mouse and OS (Windows 7), it works.

Ooookay, it's clear now! So for some reason, even though holding down the left mouse button, it doesn't flow into a continuous click-effect. I think this issue deserves a Help ticket since it seems there's some kind of incompatibility between ddo and your mouse driver... Win 10 might also be a factor.

My explanation to targeting was also aimed towards other posts in this thread, I was just too lazy to quote everyone. Sorry! :)

Edit: I hope "click and hold to attack" was the source of your problem and Yamani hit the nail on the head :)

Chacka_DDO
11-29-2018, 08:48 AM
Or it's the setting under gameplay which is: Click and hold to attack.
Which is naturally turned on so maybe got turned off at some point.

This!
I'm quite sure I never changed this setting but I believed it has something to do with DDO.
Good to see that this is already a part of the game and it was just me who did not know this setting.
Thanks for your help!
My feeling is that it this should be in Keymapping or at least there should be a hint for this setting under Gameplay in a tooltip.

PsychoBlonde
11-29-2018, 10:00 AM
I usually move around with the keyboard and not pay attention where the mouse cross is. Which might make sense why it doesn't auto-target even if the target is in front of me.

I assumed the auto-targeting was using both the center of the screen and mouse location. But if it uses only the mouse location then ****... :-D

Cheers

If you turn on mouse-look (which means you move the camera around with your mouse), the mouse reticule is stuck to the center of your screen, which means that the center of your screen will then act as your target. However, this means that you have to steer your character around using the mouse. Default toggle button for mouse-look is T.

NemesisAlien
11-29-2018, 10:13 AM
What if example you break a barrel, there is a gem you want to pick up, but its not easy to get the mouse cursor onto it.

Or there is a collectable under a whole bunch of dead mobs, you cant use mouse to pick it up.

Which key mapping is it to vacuum the item up?

MMo interact?

Select target?

Action interact?

DDO classic interact?

Or something else?

Igognito
12-03-2018, 05:14 AM
If you turn on mouse-look (which means you move the camera around with your mouse), the mouse reticule is stuck to the center of your screen, which means that the center of your screen will then act as your target. However, this means that you have to steer your character around using the mouse. Default toggle button for mouse-look is T.

ty again. I know mouse toggle and personally do not like it. I only use it with my right click for swimming or aiming.

NemesisAlien
12-06-2018, 09:15 AM
I found the vacuum key, you need 2 keys...