PDA

View Full Version : Psychic Ward vs Strahd grip

janave
11-26-2018, 05:33 AM
Anyone tried if this will stop Strahd's cheat attack?

Niminae
12-01-2018, 08:04 AM
As far as I'm aware there is no defense against getting the Grip of Strahd, and no way to break it by yourself. The only way to prevent death is for someone to use one of the two very short ranged trinkets on you.

Powerhungry
12-01-2018, 10:18 AM
There are a few things that, if the rules were followed, should work, but don't because, know, reasons...
Same thing with many newer special attacks ignoring FoM. Reasons...

Aelonwy
12-01-2018, 10:38 AM
There are a few things that, if the rules were followed, should work, but don't because, know, reasons...
Same thing with many newer special attacks ignoring FoM. Reasons...

Poor DMing.

GramercyRiff
12-02-2018, 04:51 AM
Poor DMing.

100% agreed.

If DDO were a DnD game the players would've left long ago...oh wait...

Things that should give immunity that don't seriously make me not want to play this game and it will probably be the major reason I stop playing when I stop playing.

janave
12-02-2018, 05:43 AM
I appreciate existing systems taking care of defenses like saves, spell resistance, physical or mental attributes, etc.. but if that is too good, situational-rare item effects would work. 100% scripted things reduce the replay value for me, and the desire to invest into progressing-shaping my characters.

Kriogen
12-02-2018, 08:39 AM
Some would call it "fake difficulty" or "artificial difficulty". But then some would say its a "mechanics".

Dunno whos right or wrong.

FlavoredSoul
12-02-2018, 12:19 PM
Poor DMing.

No, it's called raid mechanics.

Allowing players completely ignore a raid's mechanic via outside gear is bad game design, it's like complaining that you can't dispel magic Sorjek's buffs in Legendary Tempest Spine so you can skip all the rune fights.

DDO is not DnD.

FlavoredSoul
12-02-2018, 12:24 PM
100% agreed.

If DDO were a DnD game the players would've left long ago...oh wait...

Things that should give immunity that don't seriously make me not want to play this game and it will probably be the major reason I stop playing when I stop playing.

Except they shouldn't give immunity, no gear should make you immune to raid mechanics.

This isn't a random monster casting FoD on you and your deathblock not working, this is a Raid Boss killing your party for being disorganized and not following the Raid mechanics.

Raid mechanics serve the purpose of forcing teamwork and individual mechanical skill to be important instead of making the raid just a faceroll gearcheck where you need X items to win and need no skill whatsoever.

If you want a game where gear allows to completely ignore the mechanics of a current raid, then there is no MMO out there that will appeal to you.

Niminae
12-03-2018, 09:42 PM
No, it's called raid mechanics.

Allowing players completely ignore a raid's mechanic via outside gear is bad game design, it's like complaining that you can't dispel magic Sorjek's buffs in Legendary Tempest Spine so you can skip all the rune fights.

DDO is not DnD.

No, it's called game design. Invalidating a piece of gear that you designed and allowed players to acquire because you can't figure out how to code around it is just a complete failure of game design.

In Strahd, assume all players will have a Harper Pin, some players will have access to Unstoppable, etc. And code around those expectations. Increase the rate at which Grip is applied, and let the players play the damn game without putting on your conductor cap and laying down the rails for them.

mikarddo
12-04-2018, 04:29 AM
No, it's called game design. Invalidating a piece of gear that you designed and allowed players to acquire because you can't figure out how to code around it is just a complete failure of game design.

In Strahd, assume all players will have a Harper Pin, some players will have access to Unstoppable, etc. And code around those expectations. Increase the rate at which Grip is applied, and let the players play the damn game without putting on your conductor cap and laying down the rails for them.

The only reason to have rules is to know when you break them. Asking for, nay demanding, that all rules be followed to the dot is very much not in the spirit of DnD. The original designers very much did stress that the rules were only guidelines and the DM and players could and should adjust as needed.

GramercyRiff
12-06-2018, 07:35 AM
Except they shouldn't give immunity, no gear should make you immune to raid mechanics.

This isn't a random monster casting FoD on you and your deathblock not working, this is a Raid Boss killing your party for being disorganized and not following the Raid mechanics.

Raid mechanics serve the purpose of forcing teamwork and individual mechanical skill to be important instead of making the raid just a faceroll gearcheck where you need X items to win and need no skill whatsoever.

If you want a game where gear allows to completely ignore the mechanics of a current raid, then there is no MMO out there that will appeal to you.

Raids are really lame though and I don't care for them. If you like them then ok.

But my complaint isn't limited to raids. My Freedom of Movement doesn't work on a lot of non-raid stuff.

edit: I can agree that raids can be an exception. I wasn't even thinking of raids even though that's what this thread is about lol.

Niminae
12-06-2018, 08:15 AM
The only reason to have rules is to know when you break them. Asking for, nay demanding, that all rules be followed to the dot is very much not in the spirit of DnD. The original designers very much did stress that the rules were only guidelines and the DM and players could and should adjust as needed.

What you are doing here is trying, and failing, to justify poor coding and a lack of imagination. If you're saying that the devs are simply incapable of coding around items that they developed and allowed players to acquire, you're not giving them much credit for being good coders.

The rules in pen and paper D&D were intended to be flexible, this is true. But once you flex one way you had best stick with that way. As a GM you can make a house rule, that's fine. But once you do you have to live with that rule, because the players deserve to know the rules that they are playing under. If any GM I ever ran with laid down rules and picked them up again constantly they would not be a GM for long, because they would no longer have players willing to have them GM for them.

Doomflayer
12-20-2018, 10:09 AM
What you are doing here is trying, and failing, to justify poor coding and a lack of imagination. If you're saying that the devs are simply incapable of coding around items that they developed and allowed players to acquire, you're not giving them much credit for being good coders.

The rules in pen and paper D&D were intended to be flexible, this is true. But once you flex one way you had best stick with that way. As a GM you can make a house rule, that's fine. But once you do you have to live with that rule, because the players deserve to know the rules that they are playing under. If any GM I ever ran with laid down rules and picked them up again constantly they would not be a GM for long, because they would no longer have players willing to have them GM for them.

No your item will not save you or any of your weakling abilities. Strahd is God of his domain, it is a small portion of a world, a pocket where Strahd has Godlike powers. It is proper here and would be proper in a D&D pen and paper world for your abilities to be suspended in Strahd's personal domain.