PDA

View Full Version : Wizard and spell points,

silvarstar
11-01-2018, 06:07 PM
So level 6 wizard, 1 rogue, and going well but one challenge I have is I tend to just run out of spell points. And if I don’t have a rest shrine it’s rough going, or an exit.

I’m going full on arch mage tree, tried pale master and didn’t like it.

And using SLA skills as much as possible.

But...any tips for regen of spell points that a first life newbie can do? Spell regen potions maybe?

DrowsworD
11-01-2018, 06:20 PM
Make certain you have a wizardry item and one to boost your intelligence. Find or buy spell power boost items for the spells you use the most; kinetic for magic missle, corrosion for acid, etc. These will help you kill things with one spell instead of two.

If you are soloing, take a cleric hireling with divine vitality. They can give you spell points back between shrines.

Run Korthos and get the Arcane Necklace which you can use twice per rest to renew spell points.

Spell point potions (potions of mnemonic enhancement) are very rare and expensive in the AH.

As a rogue, grab a crossbow and bolts. When you run out of spell points, shoot stuff.

So level 6 wizard, 1 rogue, and going well but one challenge I have is I tend to just run out of spell points. And if I don’t have a rest shrine it’s rough going, or an exit.

But...any tips for regen of spell points that a first life newbie can do? Spell regen potions maybe?

vryxnr
11-01-2018, 06:23 PM
Efficient spell point usage and conservation is a very important (and sometimes difficult) skill to learn. There are in game things that can help: up to 10% reduction in spell point costs from certain items, Mnemonic potions (rare drops from chests, or purchased from the ddo store), Bard friends with the sp regen song, items that have a chance to grant temp SP on specifric conditions, the Torc of Prince Raiyum-de II, Conc-Opp green steel items, etc.

However, the most important thing is conservation and efficiency in play. What I mean is, don't spam spells at every opportunity. You want to hit as many things as possible at once with a single cast. Why hit 5 different enemeis 5 different times with 5 different casts of a spell if you can hit all five of them at the same time with one cast of a single spell. Group enemies up before shredding them with your magic (this is for crowd control, AoE DPS, and AoE instakills).

Also, not everything needs to be taken down with spellcasting. Choose your battles, and figure out when it's a good idea to take a bit longer to take out a minor encounter without much magic so you can have spell points in reserve for the bigger encounter later.

Also also, metamagics are great, but not everything needs every metamagic active on it all the time. Some spells you may want specific ones up. Right click the spell while it's in your hotbar and you can choose which active metamagics to apply to it so you don't have to constantly swap your active metamagics. The hotbar will remember your choice and always only apply the ones you select until you change that selection.

You already have SLA usage down it seems, which is good. They cost less and metamagics don't add to their costs. But don't let the low costs fool you. Obviously, spamming them adds up and you don't need to do that all the time.

I know, low levels are hardest on casters as there are so few options, most are single target spell, and SP pool is generally low, and SP regen options are limited (if they exist at all). But it can be done! (or you could go the route some others have done and just use a great axe to melee everything through low heroics until you get the good AoE options, then go pure caster, grouping up enemies, and destroying everything with your magics).

silvarstar
11-01-2018, 06:31 PM
Thank you all good tips, gonna go login and give em a go

vryxnr
11-01-2018, 06:39 PM
Also, be aware that grouping enemies up for efficient casting can be quite dangerous, and may take some practice to get good at it. Having a dozen hostiles chasing after you and possible gathering around you is a recipe for pain... hopefully for them, but possibly for you too. lol.

Enoach
11-01-2018, 07:23 PM
Some tips to help conserve...

1. Concerning Metamagic feats
One way you can drain your spell points quickly is using metamagic feats on every cast. For SLAs there is not additional cost so having those on all the time is a good idea. But for your regular spell list this is not a good idea to always cast that way.

One way to help with this is to use the "right click menu" of the spell to set what meta magic feats apply, have multiple versions of the spell.

More nuanced is meta magic feats like Heightened and Quicken. If you have Heightened on and mobs are still saving then you are effectively throwing SP away. If you have Quicken on and are not in situations where you have to make a concentration check you are also throwing SP away.

2. The right spell for the job
We like to see big numbers, but you don't always need your highest cost spell to finish the job. Think about what is the "right" spell to do this.
Also, avoid using Single Target Spells when dealing with groups, and AoE spells when dealing with a single target. AoE type spells gain their efficiency by hitting more things. Generally Single Target Spells are cheaper but only if you are fighting a single target.

3. When in a party avoid the urge to hit everything. Remember "Kill Count" doesn't really impress anyone :)

4. Review spells that you cast that you may be able to use a scroll/wand instead.
Some buffs and utility spells are equal or very close in effect and it does not matter if they come from scroll, wand or memory. These types of spells can be cast at a cost of plat vs spell points. At lower levels many buffs have a minimum of 5 minute duration, so outside of extend from levels 1 to 5 buffs like Shield are equal in duration.
Also, using scrolls/wands will give you a deeper spell list allowing you to memorize spells you would not have been able to because the buff/utility spell would normally have that slot.

edit: while not popular among the power gamers - Wand and Scroll mastery can give you an alternative to supplement your casting. Might not be as powerful as memory casting but at lower levels it can make some of the offensive scrolls/wands something to cast between memory casting, or use as clean up instead of SP.

btolson
11-02-2018, 01:52 AM
At level 7 you'll be able to cast Wall of Fire and Acid Rain. These are game-changers, as they deal persistent damage over time (highly efficient compared to spamming fireballs). Acid Rain is the deadliest efficient DPS spell you'll get until epics. Gather mobs up and drop these cloud(s) on them, then jump around out of melee range until they're dead.

You can't buy scrolls of Wall Of Fire from vendors, but you can buy Acid Rain. Useable at level 5. So you could pick up some scrolls now, if you have the plat for it.

Tilomere
11-02-2018, 02:38 AM
But...any tips for regen of spell points that a first life newbie can do?

As arcanes, lots of wands and scrolls of offensive spells. Artis can caster level check blast rod scrolls with bonus caster levels, and also boost the scrolls with Wand and Scroll Mastery.

Can instead spend first two feats on point blank shot and heavy repeater, and use one with 12 AP in Harper for int to hit/dmg and KTA.

Or, if you are a wisdom based caster, like a cleric, you can use falconry.

Then, when your SLAs, spell points, and spells are developed, dragonshard and free feat swap them out.

FuzzyDuck81
11-02-2018, 07:34 AM
A good bet in the lower levels especially is crowd control - lay down a web then hit them with an AoE spell (not fireball, it breaks the web... acid works though) and melee/ranged attacks. A cleric hireling with divine vitality is good for SP renewal, a melee hireling can be handy too; keep an eye out for warforged ones then memorise a repair spell to keep them up and fighting :)

C-Dog
11-02-2018, 11:17 AM
All great comments above...

You're probably using too many Metamagics on your spells. If you don't save the big juice for the big fight(s), you will run out. There are 2 ways to easily toggle them on/off:

1) Put your Metamagic icons on a secondary hotbar (drag/drop from the Feats/Wizard Feats section of your [c]haracter sheet). Go thru your spells, right click your combat ones, and for each Meta feat select "Standard" or "Always on/off" (your choice) for each spell. Now, if you toggle those Meta's on/off, the "Normal" spells will follow suit.

(For some spells you may(?) want to have some Meta's "always on" - I keep Heighten on for Web (since it needs the DC's), and Extend on for (most) buffs - but for some buffs, I have a 2nd set that are "short term, to save SP's if/when I just need them for special purpose/short term.

2) Have diff hotbars set up w/ your spells, but each set has a diff Meta settings for the spells. By hitting [ctrl+1]., [ctrl+2], etc., you can change which hotbar is currently "default". So, you can have your spells on hard-hitting, high-SP mode on Bar 2, and hit [ctrl+2] before the big fight - and then back to [ctrl+1] after.

Problem w/ either of these is remembering to turn off the Meta's later... :rolleyes:

Another solution is tactics. Web first (maybe 2x, one in front of other), then open up the festivities. (Don't burn up your own Webs.) Lots of Jump, to get over obstacles and enemies. Keep dragging them thru those Webs to slow them down. Kill the ones that are saving first. Recast Web and repeat. If they are all getting stuck, swallow your pride and just use your GXB (see below). (A variation on this tactic will be used w/ Wall of Fire later.)

At range, maybe start w/ your ranged weapon, then swap to your spellpower items and start spells when they're in range. No rush to use spell points.

Make certain you have a wizardry item
Right. Even if you don't have room to slot it for combat (maybe it takes the place of your +Int item?), here's the trick: Find a nice fat Wizardy item in the AH or as droploot - ANYthing will work. Wear it before you enter a dungeon, and get full Spell Points. Enter the quest and buff, using those extra points - then swap out to your combat gear. Those extra SP's have all gone to your buffs, without lowering your "combat" spell points!

Remember to swap back before shrining, and before leaving the quest (so you don't have to wait for the next one!).

... and one to boost your intelligence.
As Level 6, you should have found a +4 item by now, and so (with ship buffs and enhancements) have an Int of around 24-26, +2 for Drow/etc. (If you don't have +4, you can buy Fox's Cunning pots or (cheaper) Wands in the central Marketplace.) Only 5 mnutes/, but you can buff before a big fight and win.

Run Korthos and get the Arcane Necklace which you can use twice per rest to renew spell points.
That's the Misery's Peak (http://ddowiki.com/page/Misery%27s_Peak) quest, and you only get to run it once/life, so only 1 . However, that clicky gives you ~about~ 45 spell points/rest! (If you already ran MP and chose something else, you're SOL; if not, zerg it now!)

o Archivist's Necklace (http://ddowiki.com/page/Archivist%27s_Necklace)

(Edit - harder to get, and not for everyone, is this bad boy: http://ddowiki.com/page/Twisted_Talisman - 150 spell points/rest... but at a cost... :cool:)

As a rogue, grab a crossbow and bolts. When you run out of spell points, shoot stuff.
More specifically, put 1 AP into the Rogue Mechanic tree to get Arbalester and Great Crossbow proficiency. Then find a Vorpal GXB on the AH.

Once you get higher level, consider grabbing a Temple of Elemental Evil GXB, or a named - Leverage or (later) Divine Artillery.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Great_Crossbows

Some tips to help conserve...

1. Concerning Metamagic feats
One way you can drain your spell points quickly is using metamagic feats on every cast. For SLAs there is not additional cost so having those on all the time is a good idea.
So good, that, w/ SLA's, you absolutely want to have them all on 24/7. For SLA's, meta's don't change the spell points, so use all of them, 100%, all the time, on all your SLA's.

edit: while not popular among the power gamers - Wand and Scroll mastery can give you an alternative to supplement your casting...
To be clear - W&S Mastery is VERY good for self-healing! That +75% boost includes healing potions and scrolls, so is popular, and recommended, for that reason.

What's not popular is trying to make a build that tries to rely on offensive wands - that's a losing proposition, as the DC's and raw DPS just aren't there. However, if you can find some wands that can brute force around that - Wand of Magic Missiles (no save = no DC) or a simple Wand of Fireball (half of decent damage is still "some" damage), those can serve in a pinch.

What you don't want are wands that allow a Save to have an effect - Wands of Web are literally a waste of time, as mobs will save and just walk thru, 95% (5% roll a 1)

silvarstar
11-02-2018, 01:16 PM
>> get a wizardry item.

Ok I hate to ask... what is a wizardry item? Any item with word ‘wizardry’ in the title?

vryxnr
11-02-2018, 01:34 PM
>> get a wizardry item.

Ok I hate to ask... what is a wizardry item? Any item with word ‘wizardry’ in the title?

An item that adds to your Spell Point total. It may not be in the name, but one of it's enhancements will be Wizardry (+enhancement bonus to spell points) or Insightful Wizardry (+insightful bonus to spell points).

Some items have different names for different values, like of the magi, archmagi, power, etc.

RAFAR
11-02-2018, 01:41 PM
>> get a wizardry item.

Wizardry and Power items (in their name if random loot) give you an enhancement bonus to maximum spell points. Different values of the same bonus type do not stack, the highest one applies.

Some named items also have this kind of effect, so always read item descriptions :)

Check this out: http://ddowiki.com/page/Wizardry

Ripjaw7
11-02-2018, 02:25 PM

This is a problem that i have a lot with my paladins andc clerics, especially if I am the only one with that class in a group, I would have to heal, buff, etc. I recomend that you find wizardry items such as bracers or something. there are some things in the auction house, however, the prices are not right for you to spend. usually, if I want to find something, I would go to the wiki. Here is the link for wizardry items;

http://ddowiki.com/page/Category:Wizardry_items

That will bring you to the wiki and you can see what it is and where to get it.

Good luck, I hope you find what you need!

Ripjaw7

Enoach
11-02-2018, 02:42 PM
To be clear - W&S Mastery is VERY good for self-healing! That +75% boost includes healing potions and scrolls, so is popular, and recommended, for that reason.

What's not popular is trying to make a build that tries to rely on offensive wands - that's a losing proposition, as the DC's and raw DPS just aren't there. However, if you can find some wands that can brute force around that - Wand of Magic Missiles (no save = no DC) or a simple Wand of Fireball (half of decent damage is still "some" damage), those can serve in a pinch.

What you don't want are wands that allow a Save to have an effect - Wands of Web are literally a waste of time, as mobs will save and just walk thru, 95% (5% roll a 1)

C-Dog - You should roll with me sometime I think you under-estimate the DCs and potentials of wands. I agree they are not of the high caliber of memorized spells but they can be effective.

I've dominated an entire level 5 chain with Charm Person wands leaving the PL and other party members in stitches as the mobs killed the boss at the end for us :). we were looting the end chest while he was dying hehehe.

The trick is learning the cut-offs for your ability to boost the DCs. Pick the right spell for the job, also learn what debuffs such as Casting a non-meta Hypnotism followed by a charm wand (effectively +3 DC).

Now I totally agree, we do not have in game the ability to become a Wand Master, but you can effectively use wands/scrolls to supplement your casting. They have their own cooldown, can be cast between memorized spells and also can still do damage while not top damage, but enough to be used to supplement or simply used as a finisher of all those mobs that still have a sliver of life left.

At epic levels I do recommend the epic eternal wands for supplemental damage as the heroic/standard wands do fall short at that point.

edit: Additionally, scrolls of spells can be used two levels before they are available to be memorized. So up to Level 7 scrolls are available at vendors which can give access to spells that are useful and effective that you would not normally have.

C-Dog
11-03-2018, 06:17 AM
>> get a wizardry item.

Generally speaking, it's any item that adds a flat number of spell points to your max. Note that it does not "fill up" that max - it just extends it. You have to be wearing the item when you rest, exit a quest, or are re-charging outside a quest, for it to fill to its new max level.

There are several key words that are used - "wizardry" is just the oldest and therefore generic term. If you're Searching on the AH, also try "invigorating", and "Pearl of power". Prices will vary from steals to absurd.

PsychoBlonde
11-06-2018, 02:56 PM
At low levels you can also extend the usefulness of your spell points by using wands and scrolls, particularly if you take Wand and Scroll Mastery. Some of the wand vendors sell things like "wand of fireball level 8" that are extremely useful, and you can use them a level or two earlier than their spell level. A free spell you have to cast 4 times is often better than an expensive spell you cast once. The expensive spell can miss.

Raising your spellpower with items also functionally makes spellcasting cheaper, because you do more damage for the same spell point cost. So make sure you have the best spellpower boosting items you can find. And don't neglect spell critical chance, either. More crits = more damage that doesn't cost you extra SP. I especially recommend getting the Nicked Orb and Runic Trinket from Sharn Syndicate. The Runic Trinket is especially good because it has Insightful Potency, which *stacks* with most other sources of spellpower you'll have available at your level. If you own the Ravenloft expansion, run Into the Mists on a low difficulty (it's a 2-minute quest) and get a Barovian's Scepter. This will help you a lot when you hit level 10.

Managing aggro intelligently also helps. If you can gather the enemies into a group, hit them with an AOE spell instead of picking off enemies one or a few at a time. If an enemy is all by their lonesome, it can be more efficient simply to beat them to death with your stick rather than cast another spell to kill them.

You don't always have to kill everything to progress. Keep your eyes open for times when you can simply bypass enemies instead of killing them. Save killing for when you HAVE to do it.

Use ALL of your spell points before you shrine. Most of the time, you can go back to a shrine and use it later. (There are exceptions, so pay attention.) Dimension Door makes it so that you can pretty much ALWAYS go back to a shrine that you skipped.

Making enemies helpless before you blast them with damage considerably increases your damage. Likewise, crowd control that makes them hold still, even if it doesn't multiply your damage, lets you position your damage effects perfectly for maximum value.

Carry a few SP pots for emergencies. Also, there are a goodly number of clickies in the game that will give you SP back. Make it a priority to get some.