PDA

View Full Version : How many characters to create?

Garorg
10-29-2018, 11:42 AM
Hi all,

I've played MMO's a lot. New to DDO though. One of the things that has happened to me in other games that I've come to regret is rolling up and trying to maintain too many alts, so that is something that I'm looking to avoid in DDO. I'm not opposed to having multiple characters, I just don't want 28 of them like my other current game... :p

I've currently gotten my first character up to level 21 and I'm working on their epic destinies. Not planning ahead, I've set this character up tome and resource wise to be the one that I will want to ER and TR on.

As I got into the epic levels though I started seeing the benefit in having at least one character that I might leave at level cap for many reasons: favor, crafting, farming materials and gear, etc.

I also see the benefit in having a dedicated challenge farmer character and build.

So my questions are:

1. Are there other "focused" characters that I might want to create? If so, what would their purposes and advantages be? What classes/builds would be recommended for them?
2. What class/build might be good for my "stay at cap" character?
3. What class/build would be good for a "challenge farmer" character? I've seen the 21 pure drow wizard posting on the forums. Wondered if there are others that might be recommended?

Thanks!

Kriogen
10-29-2018, 12:16 PM
A level 30 build that can solo farm named items at diff higher then Normal.

AbyssalMage
10-29-2018, 12:38 PM
A level 30 build that can solo farm named items at diff higher then Normal.
Basically this. It has taken 8 years for me but...
I've basically paired my "Alt'itis" down to:

Main - I have a very specific direction for her. I know what PL's I want and I know the final life she will end up with. Still flexible with the final build.
"Fun Character" - Basically this one is a Barbarian I play to "let off some steam" who is also currently at cap while my Main is running in Heroic. I may TR into a Monk, because no matter how many times they nerf Monks, I am addicted to the run speed.
Level 30 farmer - Currently it is a Warlock I mostly ignore simple because I have my "Fun Character" and my Main. So it is nowhere close to 30 lol.

I have a few alts on other servers but rarely play those because of the grind introduced to DDO over the many years. I have always played the game at a slower pace (although there is a certain Pal/Artificer/Rogue, and a Dwarf Ranger, who may disagree with me).

Enoach
10-29-2018, 12:51 PM
My take on this...

Make as many as you will have fun with.

I've found having a character that has a theme/purpose in design helps to maintain interest in playing that character.

One option is to make a "test" character. This is one you experiment with for a build you are thinking of trying on what you would call your main character. More to make sure the playstyle is fun for you.

Now I like to keep characters in different level ranges as I found it gives me options in grouping.

Swimms
10-29-2018, 01:00 PM
Hi all,

So my questions are:

1. Are there other "focused" characters that I might want to create? If so, what would their purposes and advantages be? What classes/builds would be recommended for them?
3. What class/build would be good for a "challenge farmer" character? I've seen the 21 pure drow wizard posting on the forums. Wondered if there are others that might be recommended?

Thanks!

Speaking for myself, I have my "main" that is currently on the TR train and about 3-4 iconic lives away from starting racial lives. This is where I spend 95% of my in game time.

For Non "Bank only" mules I really only have a few that I play with any regularity

1. Level 30 first life warlock that is flagged for most raids if the opportunity comes up or I use them to farm/ransack heroic or epic content for BTA items I need for builds on my main. This guy also turned into quite the Night Revels Key Farmer as it turns out.

2. Heroic Cannith challenge farmer (level 16 monk based off EllisDee's build), second life who stays at level 16 forever to farm Cannith challenges at level 20 (also was my crystal cove farmer).

3. Collectibles Farmer-level 21 Bard/Barb speed runner also based off EllisDee's build. This is not a playable character and can only cast invisibility, run fast and ddoor to farm collectibles.

If you do decide to make a challenge/collectible farmer I would highly recommend not taking them to cap, especially on a first life. The way the challenges scale makes it more and more difficult on a first life character to complete them efficiently at level +5 (recommended for maximum material gains). You want to find a balance of clear speed (and character speed enhancements) and quest toughness. For me this has been in the low single digit to mid teen character levels for most quests including Crystal Cove, Night Revels, Cannith Challenges, etc. The level 16 monk that EllisDee crafted strikes a nice balance in my opinion.

Edit: one thing I wish I had done YEARS ago was create my dual box account. I use characters on this for extra loot pulls if I am solo farming stuff. It is a free to play premium account that I slowly added just about all the content when it went on sale at various times. Recently I dual boxed iconic characters on this account when my "main" was TRing and passed them keys so they could jump into the night Revels quests while I soloed them on my main. Then I used the extra materials from this account to buy more of the unbound items such as the rubies and diamonds and passed them to my main. I did this last weekend with the 30% challenge boost to materials and with the crazy experience from first time running the quests, it was nuts.

Selvera
10-29-2018, 02:07 PM
In general; less is better. How many is dependant on your situation; but I like it like this:

1) Main - Character I play most and try to get as powerful as possible.
2) Friends character - Character I try to match level with a friend and play with them with this
3) Capped character - Character I keep at level cap so that I can join in raids; guild activities or farming if I need it (or feel like it).

Note: I also have a few extra as bank mules and/or quest openers, but these are very little investment characters that I don't really plan to play so I'm not counting them.

Tilomere
10-29-2018, 02:29 PM
So my questions are:

Thanks!

1 Main for reincarnations.

1 Max level tanky dps alt for farming and raiding

6 level 15 iconic bf 14 warlock 1 paladin alts farmed up to 150 house k/coin lord favor for bank/backpack space, for gear storage every 5 levels (needs decent str)

1 level 15 iconic bf 14 warlock 1 paladin alt for cosmetic/consumable/crafting blank storage and challenge running, invis collectible farming, also farmed up to 150 house k/coin lord favor for bank/backpack space. SE/TS + reconstruct SLA + feed on magic. Also flag for Shadow Crypt and Cursed Crypt quests.

Rull
10-29-2018, 03:18 PM
2 mains, nothing else.

I really enjoy having one character at cap and the other levelling.
Once that one also reaches cap, I decide which one to keep.

It can happen that I alternate or that I have one sitting at cap while I TR the other several times, but in the long run I focus them equally.

Garorg
10-29-2018, 03:34 PM
If you do decide to make a challenge/collectible farmer I would highly recommend not taking them to cap, especially on a first life.

I was thinking of capping at 21 and possibly using this build for challenge farming:

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/434231-Epic-Challenge-Farmer-(21-drow-pure-wizard)

Nebless
10-29-2018, 03:59 PM
Your main and then a 2nd character for storage purposes.

AND a character on each of the other servers for Store point purposes. Even if all you do is the quests inside Korthos Village up to Elite on each it'll bring you in a respectable number of free store points and if you keep playing them you'll only get more free points.

Also it's a nice way to try out the different classes.

cru121
10-29-2018, 04:06 PM
I have
* first life human warlock parked at 30 (for farming epic stuff)
* PDK 1 / Warlock 14 parked at 15 (for farming heroic stuff)
* Gnome Artificer parked at 10 (this one is iirc third life. doesn't get much play)
* a swashbuckler for fun (has a couple lives, always swashbuckling)
* main
* odd alts I used to play when old guildies relog for few weeks / mules

I also have a second account which has
* main
* PDK 1 / Warlock 14 parked at 15 (for farming heroic stuff)
* mules

Having an alt at cap definitely helps farming legendary gear. But I wouldn't stress it. A heroic mule would probably see more action.

C-Dog
10-30-2018, 05:48 AM
Here are just a few ideas:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470423?p=5759354&viewfull=1#post5759374

There's also a haggle-bot, a toon that buys low and sells high. Can save a mature account (Crafter, scroll/potion junkie, etc.) 100's of thousands of plat over the year, easy.

Wipey
10-30-2018, 08:37 AM
Did make countless as a new player just messing with quests and builds. Then played 10, 5 after Motu, 3 now.
I'd say 2 or 3 is okay if you play like a normal person ( few hours weekly ? ) and just do whatever you want to do or play.

For the people with their "main" in "tr hell" getting xyz lives for years - what's the point of that if you never take that toon to difficult content ?
It's like training for a half marathon, hitting the gym, eating well. Then sending your fat ass sibling to run it for you.

Garorg
10-30-2018, 09:14 AM
Did make countless as a new player just messing with quests and builds. Then played 10, 5 after Motu, 3 now.
I'd say 2 or 3 is okay if you play like a normal person ( few hours weekly ? ) and just do whatever you want to do or play.

For the people with their "main" in "tr hell" getting xyz lives for years - what's the point of that if you never take that toon to difficult content ?
It's like training for a half marathon, hitting the gym, eating well. Then sending your fat ass sibling to run it for you.

I just like the idea of the character getting some sort of improvement for playing as a different class. This way I get to experience the different ones but I don't have to maintain, sort and gear too many different ones. That said, I'm totally ok with a little bit of "help" from my shared bank slots in order to make the leveling process easier.. I was just wondering if there were types of use that people might target characters at for quality of life. I put in only average playing time, I'm probably never going to raid at higher levels and I'm ok with that. I'm not looking to race through different lives but the idea behind it is one that I've not had in other MMO's that I've played and I think it will be fun to explore it.

Thanks for all the comments and information!

Garorg
10-30-2018, 09:15 AM
Here are just a few ideas:

o https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470423?p=5759354&viewfull=1#post5759374

There's also a haggle-bot, a toon that buys low and sells high. Can save a mature account (Crafter, scroll/potion junkie, etc.) 100's of thousands of plat over the year, easy.

Thanks! I've used the build page to make my first character that I'm playing now and didn't even think to look further down at the specialty builds. The pale drow 21 wizard build was the post that got me thinking about challenge characters in the first place.

Saekee
10-30-2018, 10:44 AM
just to add to all the great suggestions:
You could park someone at level 4. Use them for farming mimic tokens during mimic events (you will see farms of Irestone Inlet). It also is a nice way to team up with new players and new guildies. There are a lot of good splits for this: 2 druid/1 rogue/1 barb very fast; 3 monk/1 rogue stunning fist/fist of light healer; 3 bard/1 rogue (or arti) swashbuckler. The crystal cove gear is often ML 4 and OP at that level, and so is CC stuff and some 3BC etc so you can create a strong parked Alt.

I am working on this now, trying to TR the druid split above to the monk one; more feats and I can sneak around...

cru121
10-30-2018, 11:44 AM
You could park someone at level 4. Use them for farming mimic tokens during mimic events (you will see farms of Irestone Inlet). It also is a nice way to team up with new players and new guildies. There are a lot of good splits for this: 2 druid/1 rogue/1 barb very fast; 3 monk/1 rogue stunning fist/fist of light healer; 3 bard/1 rogue (or arti) swashbuckler. The crystal cove gear is often ML 4 and OP at that level, and so is CC stuff and some 3BC etc so you can create a strong parked Alt.

I am working on this now, trying to TR the druid split above to the monk one; more feats and I can sneak around...

For a level 4 character and mimics, I prefer something that can take Great Cleave as a level 4 fighter bonus feat. For example Barb 3 / Fighter 1. But this kind of character can be easily rolled on the fly.

Garorg
10-30-2018, 05:06 PM

That is a really good idea as well, thanks!