PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand UMD's importance

Question2005
10-27-2018, 11:55 AM
I get that UMD lets you use scrolls and stuff, but unless its a class skill OR you are stacking massive amounts of past lives/tomes/etc, you cant get it high enough anyway.

As an example, at level 18 I have about 23 UMD, this is with pretty high CHA as a paladin. Raise dead has a UMD check of 36 IIRC. On average, I would suceed less than half the time. If you are using cha as a dump stats (e.g. barbarian or fighter) then its going to be even lower. If you need to do this to prevent a wipe, fair enough, but you arent going to be able to spam heal scrolls or anything close.

I have a shield clicky now and blur from a trinket, so im confused as to what else makes UMD essential other than raise dead. Trying to heal from high level scrolls isnt very efficient with low UMD, especially in reaper, and you would be better off ressing the dead healer than wasting scrolls trying to heal yourself.

This life, I never found a use for UMD at all actually, good thing raise dead scrolls can be used by paladins because I had to use them plenty of times. Other than that, there was nothing else that I wanted to use.

So are low levels of UMD mainly useful for preventing a wipe with raise dead scrolls?

JOTMON
10-27-2018, 12:22 PM
I get that UMD lets you use scrolls and stuff, but unless its a class skill OR you are stacking massive amounts of past lives/tomes/etc, you cant get it high enough anyway.

As an example, at level 18 I have about 23 UMD, this is with pretty high CHA as a paladin. Raise dead has a UMD check of 36 IIRC. On average, I would suceed less than half the time. If you are using cha as a dump stats (e.g. barbarian or fighter) then its going to be even lower. If you need to do this to prevent a wipe, fair enough, but you arent going to be able to spam heal scrolls or anything close.

I have a shield clicky now and blur from a trinket, so im confused as to what else makes UMD essential other than raise dead. Trying to heal from high level scrolls isnt very efficient with low UMD, especially in reaper, and you would be better off ressing the dead healer than wasting scrolls trying to heal yourself.

This life, I never found a use for UMD at all actually, good thing raise dead scrolls can be used by paladins because I had to use them plenty of times. Other than that, there was nothing else that I wanted to use.

So are low levels of UMD mainly useful for preventing a wipe with raise dead scrolls?

There are too many useful scrolls out there to not take advantage of UMD.

Low level UMD is tougher without some work to build skills. its mostly building for mid/high level.
The UMD lets you buff up with Scrolls and save your clickies when needed in interruptible moments..
Gust of wind scrolls, ice storm scrolls...useful spells for eliminating enemy aoe attacks. like mob firewalls

You can reach higher UMD numbers at higher levels where the UMD is more beneficial even as a cross class.
UMD is too powerful to not invest in.
Even if you are not 100% successful a stack of scrolls goes a long way.

The ideal target for the general population is firstly Raise dead, and then Resurrection/Heal scrolls.
Heals scrolls do more than just heal..
Heal eliminates the following conditions or penalties: Ability damage ,Blinded ,Confused ,Dazed ,Dazzled ,Deafened ,Diseased ,Exhausted ,Fatigued ,Feebleminded ,Nauseated ,Poisoned ,Stunned...
as a Paladin you are already Divine so the raise dead is less of an obstacle, but all the arcane scrolls will require UMD..

Some of the higher benefits take some work(past lives), tomes or gear to get to..
Some gear shifting may also be helpful when you need to UMD stuff..
Cannith crafting can craft persuasion at level 1 (+3 to UMD)
Crafting Charisma items.. every 2 Cha gives +1 to your CHA related skills like UMD..
GH gives you +4 to all skills including UMD.. (can also use heroism pots for +2 to improve your chances of casting GH)
Stat achievable via favor tiers, in quest rare drops and of course the DDO store..
Skill tomes are achievable at the end of Saga chain rewards, in quest rare drops and of course the DDO store..

Plan for the long term.. the gains from UMD offers options that you just dont get from other resources.

cru121
10-27-2018, 12:34 PM
In addition to what was mentioned, I tend to use them on:
- Invis scrolls: useful 1-30. At level 1, I use them to run Stealthy Repossession E/H/N, this gets me to 2.
- Stoneskin scrolls: great at level 5 if you got enough UMD
- Fire Shield scrolls: half damage is good. I usually pick em up before Taming the Flames or earlier
- Teleport scrolls

Protection from Elements early from a scroll is also nice buffer.

spyder7723
10-27-2018, 01:03 PM
Umd becomes a lot more useful when you stack items on to get the skill as high as possible.
Greater heroism scrolls provide immunity to fear and +4 to saves. That's a huge benefit. And it has a duration of 11 minutes, so can scroll it when stepping into a quest and after shrining.

So how do we get our umd high enough to use gh scrolls on a cross skill class?

+2 bonus from heroism potion.
+1 luck bonus from voice of the master.
+3 from the golden cartouche (i don't remember what type of bonus this is so not positive it will stack with heroism, ddowiki is your friend)
+4 from a charisma item.
11 ranks leveling.
+1 per epic level.

Side note: imo the ability to raise dead is something everyone must have. Be it spell scroll or clicky. It can easily be the difference between a failed raid and a success. And everyone can do it.

C-Dog
10-28-2018, 04:01 PM
...you cant get it high enough anyway.

As an example, at level 18 I have about 23 UMD... Raise dead has a UMD check of 36 IIRC. On average, I would suceed less than half the time...
By accepting that you may need to burn through more than 1. Fortunately, they stack by the 100. :cool:

There are some other ways to pump UMD, and every +1 is +5% more chance. "Dump stat" builds can carry swap boost items for Cha - just use them when you're UMD'ing. Skill boosts (+4 to +6, from some racial or enhancement trees) can help a lot, and there are some nice +3 UMD items out there. Arti's get a class bonus to using scrolls. Some builds recommend using an open Feat slot for Skill Focus: UMD - that's another +3. Some trees give a flat bonus to all skills. Many/most of these stack.

Bottom line - if you can dedicate 1 inventory slot to preventing a wipe, even if it's a little more spendy than some other classes/builds, why wouldn't you?