PDA

View Full Version : Advice for trading one tome for another

0ldschool
10-18-2018, 01:31 PM
My post in the "Ability Tomes" thread with a new question seems to be buried in the OT, so I am starting a new thread with a title that is relevant.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ______
One extremely generous vet sent me a +1 CON tome after reading this thread. I've been humbled many times by the generosity of players here, but never more so than this. Their only request was that I pay that generosity forward to other newbies when I am able.

I am now at L13 and quickly approaching L15. I took +1 DEX at L12 but will not be at base DEX of 19 by L15 without help from a tome, so no IPS.

I would like to ask for help in understanding the best way to TRADE the +1 CON tome for either a +1 DEX tome or +1 INT tome. Ideally I need the +1 DEX tome. I looked at the Cannith Marketplace forum here and to say it is not well utilized would be a gross understatement. There are under 20 threads total for 2018, and only 4 of those threads have any replies at all!!

I looked at the AH and ASAH, and do not see a +1 DEX or +1 INT on either one. So even if I wanted to take the 30% hit to my plat, I don't see a "sell this one to buy the other one" option at the moment.

Thanks for any advice you may have.

Enoach
10-18-2018, 01:53 PM
Hello,

First I want to echo your comment about generosity of the players

Second I want to make sure not only that I understand your situation and that you understand how tomes work. And meeting feat requirements

Based on you post it appears at this time you have

1. +1 Con Tome (Given to you)
2. +1 Dex Tome (You took at Level 12)

Is this correct?

If you already have a +1 Dex Tome, it does not stack with another +1 Dex Tome. In order to improve the "inherent bonus" you will need a +2 Dex tome or better or a +1 to +2 Upgrade Dex tome. It always uses the Higher Tome. A +1 Dex Tome plus a +1 Dex Tome does not equal +2 Inherent bonus to Dexterity.

I'm pointing this out because I would hate for you to purchase another +1 Dex tome and still find yourself not able to get to where you are going.

What you would need to improve the +1 Dex Tome
1. A +2 Dex tome <- This you would not need the +1 Tome as it takes the highest you use
2. A +1 to +2 Upgrade Dex Tome <- This is the cheaper version as it upgrades your current +1 to +2

---
Now that being said and you not posting your build I do want to point out that at the 11th Ranger level you will get this feat and you don't need to meet any of the Pre-reqs. That is one advantage of the Ranger Class. So if waiting until your 11th Ranger level is a possibility for your build then you don't need to worry about meeting the 19 Dex.

Kenpai
10-18-2018, 01:58 PM
You could try cycling between the Harbor, Marketplace and other populated areas like House J currently and go "/trade WTT [ctrl+right click on con tome] for +1 DEX tome, PST" every few hours. There's also a UserChat on Cannith that was supposed to be for trading but it's a) not very populated anymore and b) doesn't have much trading in it, but if you want to try there you can /joinchannel cannithtrade and then use /1 (or /2, /3, or /4 depending on how many UserChats you're in) instead of /trade

GeoffWatson
10-18-2018, 05:08 PM
Don't forget about the +2 tome you get from 1750 Favour, if you are close to that.

Enoach, he means the "every four levels" stat increase to Dex.

Enoach
10-18-2018, 05:30 PM
Don't forget about the +2 tome you get from 1750 Favour, if you are close to that.

Enoach, he means the "every four levels" stat increase to Dex.

That would make sense, I wasn't sure. But I didn't want them to learn the lesson of +1 Tome not stacking with a +1 Tome - That would have been an expensive lesson.

But you also make a good point that at 1750 favor you do get the choice of a +2 Tome (Bound to Character).

0ldschool
10-18-2018, 07:29 PM
That would make sense, I wasn't sure. But I didn't want them to learn the lesson of +1 Tome not stacking with a +1 Tome - That would have been an expensive lesson.

But you also make a good point that at 1750 favor you do get the choice of a +2 Tome (Bound to Character).

Thank you all. Yes, I took +1 to DEX at Level 12, hoping I could trade for a +1 DEX tome before L12. I have never used a tome. So it will stack, correct? Thanks for the advice, that would've been a VERY expensive lesson. I should have linked the 'Ability Tome' thread from this forum, I spelled out my build and concerns there but I started this new thread to get some attention on my latest question.

I'm approaching 400 favor, 1750 is not going to happen by L15. I've done a little favor farming but it's just not my thing. Being a first-lifer, I much more enjoy exploring all of the content for now. I'm also not VIP, so re-running on Hard and Elite is required for max favor.

Again, a vet on Cannith has VERY generously mailed a +1 DEX tome to me. I can't thank them enough, and I'm once again very humbled by the community here. I've been asked only to pay it forward, and I've started to and will continue to do my best to live up to this example. In addition to posting my experience and advice for newbs here (I know I helped at least one newb with my CCrafting for Newbs thread), and feeding items into the brokers (another major topic for newbs that I've tried to weigh in on), I plan to head to snowy Korthos (& the Harbor entrance) when I'm a bit more seasoned and do what I can to help arriving players, as I know some other vets do. I have so much respect for the players here who actively spend their time helping new players in-game, helping to promote and grow the game they love.

Thanks again for the advice!

Kriogen
10-19-2018, 06:15 AM
.. Yes, I took +1 to DEX at Level 12, hoping I could trade for a +1 DEX tome before L12. I have never used a tome. So it will stack, correct? ..
For feats, tomes count. When you take a feat that lets say requires DEX 19, you could have DEX 18 and +1 DEX tome.

Gear and enhancements and whatever else does not count, natural stat(character creation plus levelup every 4 levels) and tomes do.

P.S.:
If you boost INT with tomes, you don't get bonus skill points retroactively.

P.S.S:
A simple LR will fix those lost skill points. Tomes never go away, even if you Reincarnate. As you have new, 1st life char, you should have one LR+0 token.

C-Dog
10-19-2018, 01:47 PM
I'm approaching 400 favor, 1750 is not going to happen by L15. I've done a little favor farming but it's just not my thing. Being a first-lifer, I much more enjoy exploring all of the content for now. I'm also not VIP, so re-running on Hard and Elite is required for max favor.
If you don't feel it, that is what it is, but Favor is a big part of this game - that is what that is, too. So you have to resolve those two for yourself.

I'd suggest that the trick is to only go back and crush content that is WAY under-level, so you don't even have to blink at it. Don't worry about XP (and so nor optionals), ignore all but the rare best loot, just do a Favor Run and call it good. (If you're part of a Guild, ask a higher level for help, someone may have the same need, and a running partner or three makes it go faster. Or try same w/ an LFM.)

If, as F2P/Premium, you have the packs, you should be able to get the 1750.

spyder7723
10-22-2018, 10:57 AM
Personally i think favor is inconsequential in today's game. Sure it used to be a large factor when silver flame pots were the only viable option for self healing on a fighter or barbarian, but today? The only favor reward of consequence is cannith for crafting extra effects.

Am i suggesting to just ignore favor? Of course not. But don't stress it either. It will come naturally as you run quests and level. There is so much content in today's game that you will naturally hit the important storage favor rewards. Absolute worse case even a brand new player can go back and zerg through the low and mid level quests for their free tome between token runs.

C-Dog
10-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Personally i think favor is inconsequential in today's game... The only favor reward of consequence is cannith for crafting extra effects.
There are some few factions that just don't matter, true, but generally speaking I disagree 100%, w/ the sole exception of VIP's who have bought every backpack and bank expansion there is for their alt(s). And on a new alt, esp F2P/Premium that doesn't have the luxury of a bankroll of plat, shards and DP behind them, it can be a massively important boost.

o Coin Lord favor gets a 4th backpack tab (+33%) by the end of Level 2, and access for a 5th w/ a portable hole.

o House K does something similar w/ Bank Space, a 2nd and 3rd tab there.

o For a Trapper who can't afford the brutal prices of +5 Tools on the AH, the trivially cheap +4's from the Free Agents are the answer.

o For players who can't afford to buy Tomes on the AH or via the Store, a +2 can make/break a build (hence this thread).

o For those who don't have Favored Soul, obviously "consequential" to earn that 2500 once. Sim w/ Vet I/II.

And so on.

So, you're welcome to think what you want - and quite possibly it's true for your (main) alt(s) - but for many, esp New Players (and this is the "New Player Advice" thread :cool:), it's quite the opposite.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Favor

spyder7723
10-22-2018, 03:38 PM
There are some few factions that just don't matter, true, but generally speaking I disagree 100%, w/ the sole exception of VIP's who have bought every backpack and bank expansion there is for their alt(s). And on a new alt, esp F2P/Premium that doesn't have the luxury of a bankroll of plat, shards and DP behind them, it can be a massively important boost.

o Coin Lord favor gets a 4th backpack tab (+33%) by the end of Level 2, and access for a 5th w/ a portable hole.

o House K does something similar w/ Bank Space, a 2nd and 3rd tab there.

o For a Trapper who can't afford the brutal prices of +5 Tools on the AH, the trivially cheap +4's from the Free Agents are the answer.

o For players who can't afford to buy Tomes on the AH or via the Store, a +2 can make/break a build (hence this thread).

o For those who don't have Favored Soul, obviously "consequential" to earn that 2500 once. Sim w/ Vet I/II.

And so on.

So, you're welcome to think what you want - and quite possibly it's true for your (main) alt(s) - but for many, esp New Players (and this is the "New Player Advice" thread :cool:), it's quite the opposite.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Favor

Where i disagree is the time factor. And how to most productively use that time. Backpack and bank storage favor will naturally come just from running quests, or if you find yourself short then go back and zerg those quests at a much higher level. It will take a tenth of the time it takes at level for a new player. Three same can be said for the free tome and fvs class. A new player is going to have a very difficult time getting 1750 white still low enough level that a +2 time will make our bask their character. The big benefit of that tome is for the next life, not this one.

My advice to a new player is to not pick a build that will require farming a tome by x level. Play the game and enjoy the journey to 20 then go get your tome favor or fvs favor before tring.

C-Dog
10-22-2018, 03:48 PM
And how to most productively use that time...
I agree to some extent. Scraping for favor at the earliest level is (w/ the possible exception of 75 Coin Lord Favor) an unnecessary hardship. But not paying ~any~ attention to it, and waiting until it shows up "whenever" is the other side of the coin, an unnecessary delay in those benefits.

Def a "ymmv" thing when, exactly, the benefits vs. the difficulty of attaining the favor for those benefits weigh favorably, but imo they def should be consciously weighed and not ignored.

Hence why I posted this here - the OP is abandoning all hope of reaching 1750, and I believe it's quite achievable (depending on the packs owned).

0ldschool
10-25-2018, 12:31 PM
I agree to some extent. Scraping for favor at the earliest level is (w/ the possible exception of 75 Coin Lord Favor) an unnecessary hardship. But not paying ~any~ attention to it, and waiting until it shows up "whenever" is the other side of the coin, an unnecessary delay in those benefits.

Def a "ymmv" thing when, exactly, the benefits vs. the difficulty of attaining the favor for those benefits weigh favorably, but imo they def should be consciously weighed and not ignored.

Hence why I posted this here - the OP is abandoning all hope of reaching 1750, and I believe it's quite achievable (depending on the packs owned).

I abandoned all hope of getting 1750 favor by Level 15, because I'm already at Level 13 and just hit 400 favor. I don't own enough content (not VIP and actually own very little) to get there by Level 15. That's the story. I think it is a worthy goal for new players to get 1750 favor, and I hope to some day get there myself, I just know that I can't do it in my short time frame to help me get IPS at Level 15.

And I think it's OK if I miss IPS because I started with my DEX too low. It's my first life, so I am learning as I go. Now I know that tree enhancements do not count towards pre-reqs like this, and understand the very good reason why (tree resetting). And I learned about Fred and my other option which was to take DEX +1 when I level up to 16, and then respec my L15 feat with Fred.

Favor is valuable to a newbie, and worth getting as long as you enjoy going after it. I did redo low level quests at Elite to build favor, and once a week or so I'll take a few hours to do this, but in general I more enjoy moving forward than moving backward.

Another vet on Cannith mailed me a +1 to +2 DEX tome, yet again showing me what this community is made of. Thank you!! I'm at Level 13 but banking and will be eligible for Level 15 soon.

C-Dog
10-25-2018, 02:30 PM
I abandoned all hope of getting 1750 favor by Level 15, because I'm already at Level 13 and just hit 400 favor.
Wow - okay, it's clear we have very diff play styles. And that's fine - I'm the first to defend anyone else's idea of "fun" as correct for them - for each and every one of us, it's "our" game to play the way we, each as an individual, want to, and find the fun we want to have.

That said, I accept that what I'm about to say may be "wrong" - for you, OS. But I'll throw it out anyway, for your consideration, and that of the larger pool of readers. If a player doesn't feel it, np by me, you be you 100%. :cool:

If you went back and crushed all the Level 1-5 quests on Elite, you'd have over 400 Total Favor from those alone - 422, to be exact*. So there's clearly easy favor that you've left on the table. (Iirc, on a new F2P account, I usually hit 400 TF and "Drow" by ~about~ Level 7-8 or so, by doing those quests on E - altho' many are cleaned up afterward over-level.)

(* Thanks ED for your Quest Compendium (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/455712-Character-Builder-Lite?p=5534437&viewfull=1#post5534437) - great li'l app! What, anyone think I actually added that up by hand?! :rolleyes::cool: )

If going on just F2P quests, going back and cleaning up quests for Elite finishes would get you to almost 800 Total Favor if you just went up to Level 9 (which I'd think a Level 13 could handle), which would be another 100 DP (& see next section re that thought, below).

If you put up LFM's for help, you could knock out the Level 13 quests and get to over 1,000 TF by the end of those, about approp for where you are now, and +150 DP more than you have now. (And 1000 TF = Vet 1 = starting Level 4 characters, which are great for Favor Running, for any who find that an inviting path.)

However, doing every F2P Quest will only stretch to around 1250 before Level 20, still about 500 short of the 1750 mark. So, if that's a priority, F2P/Premium accounts want to buy packs that give a lot of Favor for the DP spent.

I don't own enough content (not VIP and actually own very little) to get there by Level 15. That's the story.
And it's an old story, and well known by most non-VIP players, and one I suffered through as well.

But the end-of-November sales are coming up* - usually (hopefully) that means some huge sales on stuff, altho' "What stuff?" is always a mystery. But usually (hopefully) some/many popular packs are included - let's hope they meet your needs, and budget.

(* Thurs Nov 23 & Mon Nov 26 - and possibly that whole extended weekend or so.)

There are many ways to choose how to buy packs - the cheapest, the ones that are on sale now, the "highly recommended" packs, other personal/specific needs, whatever. One additional consideration is to buy packs that are going to help you in the immediate future, so, for a Level 13 character, Giant Hold would be an immediately useful purchase, as they're about to hit that Quest-level - plus it's one of the 3 generally agreed "core" recommendations (along w/ Vault of Night and Vale of Twilight).

Just for general info, I'll list some of the packs that give the most Total Favor for your DP*. I'm skipping some of the highest return*, as they are Level 17+, so not very helpful for this discussion. The ones I could recommend are (in order)...

(* The best is 86 Total Favor for only 250 DP, which is (for easy comparison) 38.4 TF/100 Favor spent. All packs can be compared on this page: http://ddowiki.com/page/Adventure_Packs )

See this thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/424669-Adventure-Pack-Reviews-and-Buyer-s-Guide?p=5088845&viewfull=1#post5088845) for one vet's reviews on all these packs, and more.

o Vale of Twilight (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Vale_of_Twilight) - Expensive at 995 DP, but that gives you 351 Total Favor (32+ TF/100 DP), and is one of the 3 "core" recommended packs. Level 15-17 doesn't help solve the immediate problem here, but it's overall value makes it worth throwing out for future consideration.

o Necro 3 (http://ddowiki.com/page/Litany_of_the_Dead_Part_3) - 350 DP for 93 TF (= 26.5 TF/100 DP), and Level 11-12. With this pack alone, you can pick up one of these toys (http://ddowiki.com/page/Silver_Flame_Talisman).

o Catacombs (http://ddowiki.com/page/The_Catacombs) - 250 DP for 66 Total Favor (= 26.4 TF/100 DP). Only Level 3, so an easy run, and relatively popular on LFM's.

(I bought this one via the Starter Pack for Real Cash while on sale (normally $9.95, so VERY cheap), became Premium this way.)

o Sorrowdusk Isle (http://ddowiki.com/page/Sorrowdusk_Isle) - 450 DP for 117 TF (26TF/100DP). A chain that runs Level 6-10, but it provides House Deneith favor for Ranged characters chasing returning ammo or 1000-capacity quivers.

o Ruins of Gianthold (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ruins_of_Gianthold) - A big purchase at 950 DP, but for 240 total favor another good buy (= 25.26 TF/100 DP spent). And... it's Gianthold, level 13 to 14.

And there are more from there - Ruins of Threnal, Restless Isles, Necro 2, Demon Sands, Shan-To-Kor, Necro 1, Three-Barrel Cove - as I said, you have to find the right purchase for your priorities - see the Wiki page (http://ddowiki.com/page/Adventure_Packs) for a full list.

But if you're going to do that, and if you're going to take advantage of any end-of-November sale that is attractive to you, now is the time to start working on those DP.

GL!

Cantor
10-26-2018, 08:09 AM
If you went back and crushed all the Level 1-5 quests on Elite, you'd have over 400 Total Favor from those alone - 422, to be exact*. So there's clearly easy favor that you've left on the table.

The thing is, he can't just go crush it on elite. He has to do it on hard and elite, it's a major amount of time unless you happen to have a VIP friend doing an iconic and farming favor. For a non-TR I'd say elite open is one the best perks of VIP.

Maelphistez
10-26-2018, 09:38 AM
I checked my bank character and unfortunately, I don't have any Dex tomes to pass you. Those I have are all BtA. Problem is, I tend to pass any tomes below +3 to our guild mule since they are worthless to me and I want guildies to have access to them.

I fully understand that you don't want to join zergers while you are still experiencing the game. Unfortunately, that puts you in the spot where you won't be able to hit that target Dex in time without some major luck. Tomes are pretty darn rare.

FestusHood
10-26-2018, 09:43 AM
Yeah, when i went to get the backpack favor for some new mules. it reminded me that i can't open elite on them because i'm not vip. After you have been running tr's for years it is easy to forget this. Fortunately i developed an opening character on another account for just such an emergency.

C-Dog
10-27-2018, 02:46 AM
Fortunately i developed an opening character on another account for just such an emergency.

Exactly...

The thing is, he can't just go crush it on elite. He has to do it on hard and elite...

WHY do people have this superstitious misunderstanding? :mad:

There are at least 4 easy ways to avoid the non-VIP grind of having to do quests Normal + Hard before Elite.

1) Join an Elite PUG. Just keep your eyes open, and jump in. Especially if you aren't looking for Reaper, quest-level +/-2 for simple Bravery Bonus is a wide window.

2) Post an LFM asking for an Elite opener. For 95% of the content, they don't have to join you, just i) be online, ii) be in your party, iii) have the quest (so share!), and iv) have done the quest on Hard+. I've rarely failed to find someone willing to help.

3) Join/form a static group w/ at least 1 VIP or 3rd-life as a member. This does require a group schedule of sorts, but lots of folk do it. (Easiest via a Guild, but can be organized via forums too.)

4) Make an alt account (or more than 1), create 1 or more openers, and multi-box your own Elite opener. It kinda requires that you have a higher level alt to drag them thru (at least that's the fastest way), but every future alt/life has the keys to Elite-town. (And they can serve double-duty as mules.)

Seriously - anyone can "just go crush it on elite" - it's not that tough.

spyder7723
10-27-2018, 10:51 AM
I abandoned all hope of getting 1750 favor by Level 15, because I'm already at Level 13 and just hit 400 favor. I don't own enough content (not VIP and actually own very little) to get there by Level 15. That's the story. I think it is a worthy goal for new players to get 1750 favor, and I hope to some day get there myself, I just know that I can't do it in my short time frame to help me get IPS at Level 15.

And I think it's OK if I miss IPS because I started with my DEX too low. It's my first life, so I am learning as I go. Now I know that tree enhancements do not count towards pre-reqs like this, and understand the very good reason why (tree resetting). And I learned about Fred and my other option which was to take DEX +1 when I level up to 16, and then respec my L15 feat with Fred.

Favor is valuable to a newbie, and worth getting as long as you enjoy going after it. I did redo low level quests at Elite to build favor, and once a week or so I'll take a few hours to do this, but in general I more enjoy moving forward than moving backward.

Another vet on Cannith mailed me a +1 to +2 DEX tome, yet again showing me what this community is made of. Thank you!! I'm at Level 13 but banking and will be eligible for Level 15 soon.

For a new player you have a great attitude about the game. Very refreshing after so many whine threads. If you ever decided to try a different server give some thought to khyber.

Also id strongly suggest going vip. It's a trivial amount of money and opens up all content (except the expansions ofcourse). I think i read somewhere that the cost of packs vs vip is a 6 year break even point. And that doesn't even include the 500 monthly vip points or extra bonuses like +10% xp or dice rolls. And with thanksgiving right around the corner i would expect to see very deep discounts on the expansions. That would be a great time to get them.

0ldschool
10-29-2018, 05:48 PM
For a new player you have a great attitude about the game. Very refreshing after so many whine threads. If you ever decided to try a different server give some thought to khyber.

Also id strongly suggest going vip. It's a trivial amount of money and opens up all content (except the expansions ofcourse). I think i read somewhere that the cost of packs vs vip is a 6 year break even point. And that doesn't even include the 500 monthly vip points or extra bonuses like +10% xp or dice rolls. And with thanksgiving right around the corner i would expect to see very deep discounts on the expansions. That would be a great time to get them.

Thanks for the compliment. I've really enjoyed learning this game over the last 3 months or so, though I'm still really not good at it. :) But I just want to have fun, the game is an escape from a hectic life for me. If I wasn't having fun, trust me I wouldn't be here. Peeling back the THOUSANDS of layers of detail to this game is the fun of it for me. I haven't even started to understand reincarnation yet, though that is looming.

Thanks to C-Dog for your advice, this is not the first time you've given me good advice here. I started another thread about a month ago titled 'what to do next at L10' or something like that, and got a lot of good advice on the next packs to buy. I am indeed waiting for the holiday sales. I have considered strongly the VIP path for a few weeks now, I'm just one of those people that HATE monthly subscriptions. But if I am honest with myself, considering that I'm still here 3 months after I started, it is probably time to take that plunge (at least for a while).

The reason that I'm so low on favor is also that I've leveled up many times on XP from Crystal Cove alone. I enjoyed it so much (including the re-opening) that I probably spent WAY too much time there. Now Night Revels is giving me tons of XP that I don't even really care about. It is a worry of mine, that I'm getting up into these levels with so much XP from events and not quests (granted the F2P quests are few and far between and sometimes hard to find). I ran Level 13 quests for the first time last week, Trial of Archons, trying to get Divine Artillery, and could hang on Normal and Hard but was wiped on Elite. I'm happy with where I am power-wise, even if it's well below a vet's standards.

Ok, now I'm rambling so I will stop. Everyone please be aware that I'm in line for IPS at Level 15 now thanks to the tome generosity I mentioned above. I don't need any more tomes, so please don't spend time looking for them or sending them to me! I want very much to earn my own way in this game, but it's hard to do when subject to such generosity ;)

Thanks everyone.

C-Dog
10-30-2018, 05:38 AM
I have considered strongly the VIP path for a few weeks now, I'm just one of those people that HATE monthly subscriptions...
Well, remember that once you go VIP, you CANNOT buy adventure packs! The store won't offer you any item that you already have access to - and VIP's have access to "all" the packs. So that's a Catch-22.

You could grab VIP right after the November Sales, and hope that there are no early mid-winter sales - which there might be?. New Sales almost always* come out on a Thurs, Black Monday is the 26th (after USA's Thanksgiving), so you could see what sales are that weekend, grab them 1st thing Monday, go VIP that day for 30 days (~$15) until Wed Dec 26 and still get Sales late that week plus the next cycle. Plus you'd have your 500 DP to spend once it dropped.

Or wait until after the midwinter Sales are over and go VIP after all that, January isn't that far away.

(* Rarely, special Sales are weekend only - but that's usually(?) only the end-of-November thing.)

The reason that I'm so low on favor is also that I've leveled up many times on XP from Crystal Cove alone... Now Night Revels is giving me tons of XP...
Ah, interesting, I hadn't considered that. Being Premium, earning Favor is always on my mind. I've only got a very few packs remaining on my main account (my opener account is a diff discussion) - but I've been racking up the points, hopefully can knock some/most out over the Sales in the next few months.

Igognito
10-30-2018, 09:24 AM
Hi Oldschool,

I'm also relatively new and playing on Cannith and would be happy to help you out where I can.
Generally, this thread had some gold comments about you choosing packs to buy on discount days!

Also if you are enjoying the game consider buying some content with real money and not DDO points or get some DDO points or get a small duration VIP subscription.

I personally suggest to get an expansion pack (there are a few to choose from) this will get you to be premium, give you access to several adventures and get you some DDO points. Also some have other extra perks that are very nice. In overall I find expansion packs the best choice.

Consider getting an expansion pack that gives you Epic Destinies! That is something that you will enjoy after you hit level 20 and makes a world of difference.

Notice: I suggest buying something vs getting vip mainly because what you buy remains. Getting a vip subscription, expires after a while and you lose most of the perks and all adventure packs/classes/races.

I also want to mention that some veterans are really nice and generous in the game! I'm very happy to say that I have been given my first collapsed portable hole from a vet that also later on gave me a couple of tomes he didn't need among other stuff that he has given me. But the best part and most generous of him is that he continuously joins me to play and unlocks me to elite dungeons when I need so.

For my first life (now I'm on the 2nd) I managed to reach 2100 favor before I get to reincarnate (without vip) and that only because the veterans helped me by unlocking and sometimes even guiding me in dungeons where they had no benefit to do so.

Special thanks to my guide for The Pit!

Suggested packs for you to get: Giandhold, Demon Sands, VoN, 3BC.
All these ones have a great play for DDO value. You can play them both at heroic and epic levels.

Especially Demon Sands, has really nice dungeons that you can Solo even as a first lifer.

When you will reach epic levels you will see that the game is pretty repetitive unless you have some packages.
I had ended playing, VoN 1-4, Wizard King, LoD over and over to gain tokens of the 12.

Only LoD is a f2p series and soloing the whole chain at normal is pretty cumbersome. So many f2p end up playing alone the first dungeon over and over just to get the tokens.
But VoN 1-4 are all nice to solo and play (maybe not 3 too difficult for solo) to collect that tokens.
And WK is long for solo but really a great dungeon to play! A first lifer that is build well could even solo it at Hard getting a token per run!

Cheerios

Thanks for the compliment. I've really enjoyed learning this game over the last 3 months or so, though I'm still really not good at it. :) But I just want to have fun, the game is an escape from a hectic life for me. If I wasn't having fun, trust me I wouldn't be here. Peeling back the THOUSANDS of layers of detail to this game is the fun of it for me. I haven't even started to understand reincarnation yet, though that is looming.

Thanks to C-Dog for your advice, this is not the first time you've given me good advice here. I started another thread about a month ago titled 'what to do next at L10' or something like that, and got a lot of good advice on the next packs to buy. I am indeed waiting for the holiday sales. I have considered strongly the VIP path for a few weeks now, I'm just one of those people that HATE monthly subscriptions. But if I am honest with myself, considering that I'm still here 3 months after I started, it is probably time to take that plunge (at least for a while).

The reason that I'm so low on favor is also that I've leveled up many times on XP from Crystal Cove alone. I enjoyed it so much (including the re-opening) that I probably spent WAY too much time there. Now Night Revels is giving me tons of XP that I don't even really care about. It is a worry of mine, that I'm getting up into these levels with so much XP from events and not quests (granted the F2P quests are few and far between and sometimes hard to find). I ran Level 13 quests for the first time last week, Trial of Archons, trying to get Divine Artillery, and could hang on Normal and Hard but was wiped on Elite. I'm happy with where I am power-wise, even if it's well below a vet's standards.

Ok, now I'm rambling so I will stop. Everyone please be aware that I'm in line for IPS at Level 15 now thanks to the tome generosity I mentioned above. I don't need any more tomes, so please don't spend time looking for them or sending them to me! I want very much to earn my own way in this game, but it's hard to do when subject to such generosity ;)

Thanks everyone.

0ldschool
10-30-2018, 01:10 PM
Well, remember that once you go VIP, you CANNOT buy adventure packs! The store won't offer you any item that you already have access to - and VIP's have access to "all" the packs. So that's a Catch-22.

You could grab VIP right after the November Sales, and hope that there are no early mid-winter sales - which there might be?. New Sales almost always* come out on a Thurs, Black Monday is the 26th (after USA's Thanksgiving), so you could see what sales are that weekend, grab them 1st thing Monday, go VIP that day for 30 days (~$15) until Wed Dec 26 and still get Sales late that week plus the next cycle. Plus you'd have your 500 DP to spend once it dropped.

Or wait until after the midwinter Sales are over and go VIP after all that, January isn't that far away.

(* Rarely, special Sales are weekend only - but that's usually(?) only the end-of-November thing.)

THANK YOU!!! I had no idea. That is a very odd decision on their part. Why would they not want to sell something no matter what type of player you are? That would have been a horrible blunder. I will indeed wait until January to consider VIP.

0ldschool
10-30-2018, 01:15 PM
Hi Oldschool,

I'm also relatively new and playing on Cannith and would be happy to help you out where I can.
Generally, this thread had some gold comments about you choosing packs to buy on discount days!

Also if you are enjoying the game consider buying some content with real money and not DDO points or get some DDO points or get a small duration VIP subscription.

I personally suggest to get an expansion pack (there are a few to choose from) this will get you to be premium, give you access to several adventures and get you some DDO points. Also some have other extra perks that are very nice. In overall I find expansion packs the best choice.

Consider getting an expansion pack that gives you Epic Destinies! That is something that you will enjoy after you hit level 20 and makes a world of difference.

Notice: I suggest buying something vs getting vip mainly because what you buy remains. Getting a vip subscription, expires after a while and you lose most of the perks and all adventure packs/classes/races.

I also want to mention that some veterans are really nice and generous in the game! I'm very happy to say that I have been given my first collapsed portable hole from a vet that also later on gave me a couple of tomes he didn't need among other stuff that he has given me. But the best part and most generous of him is that he continuously joins me to play and unlocks me to elite dungeons when I need so.

For my first life (now I'm on the 2nd) I managed to reach 2100 favor before I get to reincarnate (without vip) and that only because the veterans helped me by unlocking and sometimes even guiding me in dungeons where they had no benefit to do so.

Special thanks to my guide for The Pit!

Suggested packs for you to get: Giandhold, Demon Sands, VoN, 3BC.
All these ones have a great play for DDO value. You can play them both at heroic and epic levels.

Especially Demon Sands, has really nice dungeons that you can Solo even as a first lifer.

When you will reach epic levels you will see that the game is pretty repetitive unless you have some packages.
I had ended playing, VoN 1-4, Wizard King, LoD over and over to gain tokens of the 12.

Only LoD is a f2p series and soloing the whole chain at normal is pretty cumbersome. So many f2p end up playing alone the first dungeon over and over just to get the tokens.
But VoN 1-4 are all nice to solo and play (maybe not 3 too difficult for solo) to collect that tokens.
And WK is long for solo but really a great dungeon to play! A first lifer that is build well could even solo it at Hard getting a token per run!

Cheerios

Here is the thread I posted a month ago, detailing what I had and asking where to go next. Well, add Trial of Archons to that list now as well.
https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/499776-Need-advice-RE-what-to-do-next-at-L10

I'm pretty neck deep in Premium. I got some good advice in that thread and yours seems to echo that as well. While waitng for sales, I've since moved up to Level 15 on CCove and Revels XP, which is less than ideal. I suppose that this is the drawback of waiting for sales.

RAFAR
10-30-2018, 06:24 PM
Also, while leveling/farming in the Mabar event, don't forget to get some Ghostbane augments, they will worth a LOT next year - with some clever trading, you could get tomes and other nice stuff for them.

0ldschool
11-01-2018, 10:55 AM
Update from OP:

I hit Level 15 and took IPS last week. It really is a game changer! I'm very grateful for all of the advice on taking the feat at L15 and how to get up to DEX 19. I'm still learning how to get mobs to 'line up' in order to get the most effect out of IPS, but it is a great AoE enhancement, so much so that Ooze Flask and even Time Bomb are much less important to me than before.

Once the Revels ends, I'll be trying to farm up Divine Artillery again and have a Ruby of Endless Night ready to slot. If I am successful, I can't wait to find out what that combo will be able to do.

Thanks all!!

EDIT: I just assumed that IPS was a clickie, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a stance. Goodbye Archer's Focus, we had some fun. On all the time, no wonder it is THE feat for ranged toons! DDOWiki states that it can have problems with shots going over the heads of mobs when targeting short mobs. I don't quite understand this, but I am a halfling and so likely do not experience this problem (again, per DDOwiki). Hurrah for Halflings!

0ldschool
11-01-2018, 10:59 AM
Also, while leveling/farming in the Mabar event, don't forget to get some Ghostbane augments, they will worth a LOT next year - with some clever trading, you could get tomes and other nice stuff for them.

Thank you. You are not the first to recommend that I do this. Not only did I make about 600k pp on selling keys during Mabar (which is a game-changer for a newb like me), but I have banked a number of Rubys of GB. I'll try not to use them all and keep them around for trade bait.

Thanks!

Maquist
11-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Update from OP:

I hit Level 15 and took IPS last week. It really is a game changer! I'm very grateful for all of the advice on taking the feat at L15 and how to get up to DEX 19. I'm still learning how to get mobs to 'line up' in order to get the most effect out of IPS, but it is a great AoE enhancement, so much so that Ooze Flask and even Time Bomb are much less important to me than before.

Once the Revels ends, I'll be trying to farm up Divine Artillery again and have a Ruby of Endless Night ready to slot. If I am successful, I can't wait to find out what that combo will be able to do.

Thanks all!!

EDIT: I just assumed that IPS was a clickie, I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was a stance. Goodbye Archer's Focus, we had some fun. On all the time, no wonder it is THE feat for ranged toons! DDOWiki states that it can have problems with shots going over the heads of mobs when targeting short mobs. I don't quite understand this, but I am a halfling and so likely do not experience this problem (again, per DDOwiki). Hurrah for Halflings!

IPS is awesome on top of awesome for a GXB mechanic. If you hard-target a mob at the back of a group, you can clear crowds quick. And if you have a good tank that can hold aggro for you, you will be doing massive damage.

Divine Artillery is a good one. I'm just back up to 20 again with my mechanic, and my two workhorses are Divine Artillery and the heroic Barovian GXB. Between those two things, I don't really need anything else. And when you add Shiradi stuff on top of it, it gets almost silly.

RAFAR
11-02-2018, 09:40 AM
Take a look at the craftable spell traps in house C, device workstation. Some low level spell scrolls, some salvaged trap parts, the Improved Traps enhancement and a high disable skill = cheap and dependable CC.

My favourite is the web trap. No spell res, 30s duration, aoe. Pull mob train into it, shoot, grin.

Another thing, sometimes targeting and aiming into a randomly shuffling crowd can be hard - I usually just target myself (bound key) and use the mouselook aim reticule like in a 3rd person shooter. It works. ;)

Maquist
11-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Take a look at the craftable spell traps in house C, device workstation. Some low level spell scrolls, some salvaged trap parts, the Improved Traps enhancement and a high disable skill = cheap and dependable CC.

My favourite is the web trap. No spell res, 30s duration, aoe. Pull mob train into it, shoot, grin.

Another thing, sometimes targeting and aiming into a randomly shuffling crowd can be hard - I usually just target myself (bound key) and use the mouselook aim reticule like in a 3rd person shooter. It works. ;)

I never knew that worked if you have yourself targeted. I try to untarget stuff, but it doesn't always let me shoot where I'm pointing. This is good to know!

Also, seconding the web traps. If you know there's a big group on the other side of a door, drop the trap right before opening the door and let them come to you. The trap making is also good for running Inferno of the Damned. Make a stack of fire grenades and cold grenades to deal with the torches, or use the fire ones for the tents in the last quest of the Lordsmarch series.

0ldschool
11-02-2018, 10:58 AM

Thanks. Traps is on my list of things to learn, but I sometimes feel overwhelmed with the learning curve, and I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe that will be my next project. I just got into pretty useful levels of UMD and I am figuring out what to stock up on, now reshuffling hotbars with scrolls and some wands for healing and buffing.

There is so much change so quickly once I hit Level 12! My rogue picked up Legshot, then Sniper and the awesome Tier 5 Mechanic enhancements, Improved Critical: Ranged, Improved Evasion, IPS, now UMD in the high 30's, all within the last 3 weeks or less. He feels like a completely different character and I'm now re-learning how to play him with all the new abilities. Yes, it's fun and it's why I'm still here after almost 4 moths now :)

Maquist
11-02-2018, 11:06 AM
I just got into pretty useful levels of UMD and I am figuring out what to stock up on, now reshuffling hotbars with scrolls and some wands for healing and buffing.

Generally, I try to keep stacks of Raise Dead scrolls, then Resurrection when my UMD and level get high enough. Heal scrolls are always good, as are Restoration and Greater Restoration when you can. Cure Serious wands are nice in a pinch. If you are going somewhere with mummies, Remove Curse and Remove Disease wands, and Neutralize Poison are nice. If you run with Warforged, Reconstruct scrolls and Repair wands. If you find Magic Missile a pain, shield wands. Resist Energy wands are nice.

You can really help bridge the gap if your healer is being stretched to their limits, and a backup option for raising. More than once, my rogues have prevented a total wipe by using Improved Uncanny Dodge, gathering soul stones and running somewhere safe to raise everyone.

Swing by the guild wand and scroll vendors in House K, and stock up. Scrolls stack up to 100.

0ldschool
11-02-2018, 11:30 AM
Generally, I try to keep stacks of Raise Dead scrolls, then Resurrection when my UMD and level get high enough. Heal scrolls are always good, as are Restoration and Greater Restoration when you can. Cure Serious wands are nice in a pinch. If you are going somewhere with mummies, Remove Curse and Remove Disease wands, and Neutralize Poison are nice. If you run with Warforged, Reconstruct scrolls and Repair wands. If you find Magic Missile a pain, shield wands. Resist Energy wands are nice.

You can really help bridge the gap if your healer is being stretched to their limits, and a backup option for raising. More than once, my rogues have prevented a total wipe by using Improved Uncanny Dodge, gathering soul stones and running somewhere safe to raise everyone.

Swing by the guild wand and scroll vendors in House K, and stock up. Scrolls stack up to 100.

Thanks. I stocked up last night actually :) I researched the forums that last couple of days and ended up with a list of scrolls that includes Raise the Dead, Heal, Cure Critical, Displacement, Greater Heroism, Summon Monster 6-7, Stoneskin, Teleport, Greater Restoration, Globe of Invulnerability, and maybe a couple of others. I've got a wand and clickie for Shield, and potions for Heroism, Restoration, Death Ward, and a bunch of others. I've kept stocks of Remove Curse/Disease/Poison/Fear/Blindness for quite a while now, got some advice as a newb that I should have those on hand at all times so as to not be a burden to others. I do have a Cure Serious wand too.

I'm not going to take on offensive wands yet, but that will be interesting to try if and when I'm ready. I do have a Wand of Fireball, never used it.

Thanks for the advice, I've got my UMD hotbar almost ready to go, haven't yet used it in action. Equip UMD goggles--> Heroism pot --> skill boost for +6 UMD (UMD=38) --> stoneskin, shield, greater heroism, maybe Death Ward, maybe Summon Monster. Still a work in progress, I suppose :)

Maquist
11-03-2018, 06:06 AM
Thanks. I stocked up last night actually :) I researched the forums that last couple of days and ended up with a list of scrolls that includes Raise the Dead, Heal, Cure Critical, Displacement, Greater Heroism, Summon Monster 6-7, Stoneskin, Teleport, Greater Restoration, Globe of Invulnerability, and maybe a couple of others. I've got a wand and clickie for Shield, and potions for Heroism, Restoration, Death Ward, and a bunch of others. I've kept stocks of Remove Curse/Disease/Poison/Fear/Blindness for quite a while now, got some advice as a newb that I should have those on hand at all times so as to not be a burden to others. I do have a Cure Serious wand too.

I'm not going to take on offensive wands yet, but that will be interesting to try if and when I'm ready. I do have a Wand of Fireball, never used it.

Thanks for the advice, I've got my UMD hotbar almost ready to go, haven't yet used it in action. Equip UMD goggles--> Heroism pot --> skill boost for +6 UMD (UMD=38) --> stoneskin, shield, greater heroism, maybe Death Ward, maybe Summon Monster. Still a work in progress, I suppose :)

Sounds like you've got the idea pretty well covered. If you have inventory space, potions of Remove Paralysis are also good for getting rid of slow effects. And I've noticed that potions you buy from the guild vendor can't be used on others. If you loot them or buy them from any other vendor, you can use potions on others by hard targeting them and being nearby when you click your hotbar.