PDA

View Full Version : Can I see all the numbers / stats?

silvarstar
10-17-2018, 07:00 AM
So I know ‘c’ and ‘i’ Bring up inventory and character sheet. When I get new gear, at times it is unclear which piece is better. The new piece or the already equipped piece.

so i’ll Try the item on and watch how character sheet changes. However at times there are new gear pieces that say they change stats but I don’t see anything update.

Some examples:

Increases spell power
Increases Concentration
Potency
Competence bonus
Spellcraft

Is there a ui that shows ALL the stats so I can watch how a new piece of gear affects my character as a whole?

Are there tricks for comparing two gear pieces beyond what I’m already doing?

vryxnr
10-17-2018, 09:49 AM
For spell power, you need to hover your mouse pointer over the purple icon on your character sheet that's beside your spell point current/max info. That'll give a tooltip popup that shows your spell power, spell crit chance, and spell crit bonuses (note: the default is double damage, so a 0 spell crit damage modifier is still double damage).

For skills you need to change your character sheet to the skills tab to view your skills.

There is currently no way to view all this information at once with a glance while changing gear. Sorry.

FuryFlash
10-17-2018, 10:06 AM
So I know ‘c’ and ‘i’ Bring up inventory and character sheet. When I get new gear, at times it is unclear which piece is better. The new piece or the already equipped piece.

so i’ll Try the item on and watch how character sheet changes. However at times there are new gear pieces that say they change stats but I don’t see anything update.

Some examples:

Increases spell power
Increases Concentration
Potency
Competence bonus
Spellcraft

Is there a ui that shows ALL the stats so I can watch how a new piece of gear affects my character as a whole?

Hi! Your character sheet will tell you about your ability scores, hit points, spell points, resistances and such right on the visible interface; however, if you take a look at the tabs at the top of the character sheet UI, you'll find a large amount of other information, including Skills. These are a common attribute on gear, and this tab will be where you find the Concentration and Spellcraft scores given in your examples - the list of skills should also give you some tips on what they're useful for if you hover over them.

Another more hidden place to find information is actually right on the first page of the character sheet. This includes spellpower, doublestrike, melee power and more:

https://i.imgur.com/znCCl9Q.png

https://i.imgur.com/ay3a96j.png

https://i.imgur.com/OSOSbkW.png

As for comparing items, knowing what's best will come with experience. There are so many possible effects on gear it would be tough to list out what is better for each build and circumstance. If you want to know in a specific case which item is better, you can always ask other players in game or on the forums here. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Rauven
10-17-2018, 10:23 AM
You can view your examples in various places on your Character Sheet.

Spell Power - you can see you character's spell power stats on the Character Sheet by mousing over the purple icon next to your Spell Points. Putting your mouse over that icon will bring up a pop-up tooltip with your various spell power stats. Unfortunately, I know of no way to keep that visible.

Concentration - all skill stats can be seen by selecting the Skills tab on your Character Sheet. Mousing over the various values will give you tooltips with additional detail.

Potency - Potency is Spell Power for all spell types, so you can see the effect of equipping a potency item as above for Spell Power.

Competence bonuses - Competence is a type of bonus along with Alchemical, Enhancement, Exceptional, etc. Where you would go to see how that bonus affects you depends on what the bonus applies to. If it is a Competence bonus to a Skill you would go to the Skills tab of your Character Sheet.

Spellcraft - Spellcraft is also a skill so you would go to your Skills tab to see the effect of equipping different gear.

There are two ways you can compare gear. If the option is enable, mousing over an unequipped item will open two pop-up tooltips showing the unequipped item beside the equipped item. If you don't see the toolips then you'll need to turn on that option. Press Ctrl+O (or Escape then Options, sorry, I don't know the Mac commands) to open the Options menu. Select UI Settings from the right then scroll down until you find "Show item comparison tooltips" (it's near the top about a quarter of the way down). Check the box to enable the option. A little further down is another option, "Tooltip Enable," that will also need to be checked in order for the tooltips to work. Note, both option boxes must have a check to see comparison toolips. This method is generally easier for quick comparisons but can be unreliable as pop-up tooltips can sometimes bug out and not want to show.

Another way to compare two pieces of gear is open your inventory and select the piece of gear you have equipped. Press Z (the default for Examine, or press the gears icon on your preview window then select Examine). This will open an examine window for whatever item you have selected. In the upper left corner of the examine window is an open padlock. Click the lock to close it. Doing this will keep that examine window open when you select another item (normally the examine window will update to show you the newly selected item). Now select the gear you wish to compare and again press Z. This will open a second examine window. If there are more items you would like to compare you can again close the padlock and open a third examine window (or fourth, fifth, etc.). You can move the examine windows by mousing over the top border of the window so that your cursor changes to a four-way directional then click-drag the window to your desired location. In this way you can place the two (or more) examine windows side-by-side to make it easier to compare the item stats.

Back in the Options menu there is another option you may wish to have on. It is "Show Detailed Descriptions in Examination." Found directly below the "Tooltip Enable" option. This option will give you detailed descriptions of affects when you examine an item.

I hope this helps. If you have any more questions just ask.

ETA: Ninja'd! And with pics, too!

Hobgoblin
10-17-2018, 10:28 AM

Some examples:

Increases spell power
Increases Concentration
Potency
Competence bonus
Spellcraft

just as a note - if its the same type of bonus they wont stack - ie if you have 60 potency and 65 corrosion spell power your corrosion will not increase

silvarstar
10-17-2018, 10:28 AM
you all are amazing! I can't believe the great replies. Thank you :D

silvarstar
10-17-2018, 10:30 AM
just as a note - if its the same type of bonus they wont stack - ie if you have 60 potency and 65 corrosion spell power your corrosion will not increase

aha! I saw that with fortitude. I noticed that it wasn't increasing though I had two gear pieces equipped. Lots of subtleties in this game system for sure.

0ldschool
10-17-2018, 06:57 PM

Some examples:

Increases spell power
Increases Concentration
Potency
Competence bonus
Spellcraft

Be aware that there are a lot of stats that you won't see. I stand to be corrected as a 12 week newb, but when equipping a Realistic item or a Robust item, don't expect to see any stats change on your character sheet. Spell saves and poison saves aren't shown anywhere. I would LOVE to be proven wrong on this.

Hobgoblin
10-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Be aware that there are a lot of stats that you won't see. I stand to be corrected as a 12 week newb, but when equipping a Realistic item or a Robust item, don't expect to see any stats change on your character sheet. Spell saves and poison saves aren't shown anywhere. I would LOVE to be proven wrong on this.

u dont see them on your sheet but you do see them on the dice roll or combat log

Hamagawi
10-18-2018, 12:44 PM
aha! I saw that with fortitude. I noticed that it wasn't increasing though I had two gear pieces equipped. Lots of subtleties in this game system for sure.

In a lot of games all bonuses to stats stack so the idea is to find which few stats you really like and stack those up as high as possible, but ddo's system of only allowing bonuses to a stat to stack if they are of different types encourages the use of a much wider variety of stat bonuses while also creating meaningful choices about what types of bonuses you want to gear for.