PDA

View Full Version : some guild questions

JIMKendall
10-07-2018, 09:01 AM
I got into DDO because my friend introduced me. At first I was playing with that group whenever we could all get together. Now I'm playing whenever I want to and that doesn't always jive with when they are available. So I created my second character to play solo. However, I would like to play with a group especially as quests and dungeons become more difficult. I had joined my friends guild, but it is very lean on human players and I'm usually the only one from the guild online unless we all pre-plan to be on together.

So my questions are:
1. Can my DDO character be apart of more than one guild? Or should I take my new second character and join a new guild? Or even make a third character and join a new guild?

2. What are the tips and tricks on finding the kind of guild I'm looking for? Active, lots of members so that someone is usually on, social and willing to quest with a guild member even if we are not real life friends. Basically whenever I log on, I can usually find someone to play with.

3. What are the important guild manners that I should be aware of when joining a new guild?

Thanks!!

Discpsycho
10-07-2018, 11:30 AM
1. Each character can only be a part of one guild. However, user channels can be created, which can act as a separate messaging format. I don't know the deets on how those are set up, though

2. AFAIK, each server has at least one "kitchen sink" guild - large, full of players of all skill levels and commitment levels, and no particular unifying feature. It'll probably depend on your server, so unless you're on Argo I can't give you a specific name. My advice would be to make Pick-Up Groups as you quest and make a note of the guild names you see most often. Since lots of folks are on the RTR hamster-wheel, you may want to control for the character names you see frequently

3. It depends on the guild, but it usually boils down to "don't be a ****". The hard-and-fast rule my guild has learned the hard way is not to invite folks onto the guild ship unless you know who they are - our guild chests have been emptied and auctioned several times by folks who create a toon, ask for a ship invite, empty the chests, sell everything, delete the toon, and repeat

glmfw1
10-07-2018, 12:40 PM
Let us know which server you are on, and people from that server can suggest guilds that might suit.

On Sarlona:

High Lords of Malkier is big and runs various teaching raids (and other events)
Bathory Hordes (and Bathory Hordes II) are big and have people on a lot of the time
Tycoons of Tomorrow has members from around the globe, so normally has someone online at any given time
Chinese Team has a large active membership (mainly Chinese - quite obvious given the name) who are on for a long time before and a long time after core Chinese hours

The rest of the Sarlona population can probably suggest a lot of other possibilities.

C-Dog
10-07-2018, 12:54 PM
Yeah, just 1 Guild/character.

Know that Guilds (except very small ones) receive a penalty to earn Renown based on how many accounts are members, so unless you have good reason, maybe just throw all your alts into one Guild?

2. What are the tips and tricks on finding the kind of guild I'm looking for?
Ask around, esp in PUG's. If you find some folk you click with, ask.

Also, realize that when you join, you may be "on a trial period" for them, but they are also same for you. If, after a while, you aren't feeling them, drop and find something else, np.

glmfw1
10-07-2018, 01:10 PM
Know that Guilds (except very small ones)
and very big ones

receive a penalty to earn Renown based on how many accounts are members
Once a guild is over 50 accounts (and likely to stay there), adding more members makes no difference to renown per kill (http://ddowiki.com/page/Guild_renown). A guild of over 50 members relies on having more members questing in order to get more renown, so will generally be welcoming to 1 of or many alts, as it makes no difference either way.

JIMKendall
10-07-2018, 02:56 PM
Thanks, very helpful. I'm on Cannath and I do see a lot of Tychoons of Tomorrow so I'll give them a try and keep looking around. Cheers!!

JIMKendall
10-07-2018, 09:35 PM
okay, follow up question, how do i request to join a guild?

Moco2112
10-08-2018, 06:37 AM
find someone in game, send them tell(click on their name in who tab) and ask to join.

go to guild section in forums and ask there.

Maquist
10-08-2018, 06:38 AM
A guild officer will have to invite you. If it's one of the guilds that's putting out that they're recruiting new members, you can usually just send a /tell to the person "advertising" (for lack of a better word). If not, if there is a specific guild, you could send a /tell or an in-game mail to one of the members asking how you might go about getting recruited.

Another thing that sometimes works is posting here on the forums what you character's name is, which server you're on, and which guild you're interested in. If an officer sees your message and they're looking to expand, they can send you an invite through in-game mail.

C-Dog
10-08-2018, 12:52 PM
2. What are the tips and tricks on finding the kind of guild I'm looking for?

go to guild section in forums and ask there.
Yep, forgot you can also find guilds while out of game.

For Cannith, here ya go:
o Cannith sub-Forum/Guilds https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/221-Cannith-Guilds
o General Guilds recruitment (look for a/the Cannith thread): https://www.ddo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/223-Recruitment