PDA

View Full Version : Clothiy Sorcs and Survivability.

Dave2004uk
09-25-2018, 02:12 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering, what is a good set up for a Sorc in terms of survivability?

See, I've been reading forum debates that say a Sorc can't survive, that they have no armour, that they should stay at the back etc.

I spent the last week levelling a Sorc to 20, to try and prove that wrong.

Build wise, he is a standard first life Bladeforged. I have given the following levels: 16 Sorc, 4 Paladin (Fire savant, Divine Defender and Eldritch Knight). He also just took the Draconic Lenage tree just last night.

Feats include:

Adamantium Body.
Shield Mastery (it was a toss up between that for the additional PRR, and Improved Mental Toughness).
Heighten Spell.
Empower Spell.
Maximise Spell.
Mental Toughness.
Combat Expertise.

Stats wise, he has the following stats:

STR: 15
DEX: 22
CON: 31
INT: 15
WIS: 6
CHA: 27

I should state that I have used no stat tomes on this toon.

His saves, defence and offence are as follows:

Fortitude: 40.
Reflex: 34.
Will: 30.
AC: 121.
PRR: 110.
MRR: 73.
Fortification: 154%.
HP: 525.
Fire Spell Power: 200.
Fire Spell Crit: 25%.
Reconstruction Spell Power: 202 (Communion of Scribing for self healing).
25% Displacement from the Blurfingered Gloves out of Ravenloft.
50% Displacement from the spell (Unaffected by ASF).
Immunity to Blindness, Fear and Magic Missiles.
Deathblock.
Freedom Of Movement (Flightfoot Greaves).

He does not have any epic feats at this time.

I do have screen shots available, but they are over at the steam forums. The url is:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/206480/discussions/0/1735465524719685051/

When I find out how to add screen shots into the post, I will.

Now, I should mention a couple of things (In no particular order):

1: I did not create the toon with DPS in mind. I just wanted to create a toon to see how "tanky" I could make a character, who should traditionally wear cloth armour only and should not use a shield.

2: His gear is very basic. He basically uses gear from Ravenloft, Disciples of Rage and Rescue Mission (Normal difficulty).

3: He will never use the 18 - 20 cap stones, but that is part of the trade off.

4: He uses a tower shield, without the proficiency. This is because I concentrate on defence only. I am not using it to attack anything. It is simply there to add AC, and to activate the Paladins abilities which can only be activated if a shield is equipped.

5: This is an SLA only build. His attacks focus on the fire savant SLA's. Other spells he uses include Teleport and Displacement. That is because these abilities are not affected by ASF.

6: His normal ASF is 85%.

7: You will miss some DPS scene as you've given up 4 levels of sorc, in exchange for Paladin.

8: To get around spell resistance, the character uses "Awaken Elemental Weakness".

9: His first Epic Destiny is Draconic Lineage, but there is another tree that he can also use, which is the Divine Crusader Tree.

10: It would probably be better to make Draconic Lineage the main epic destiny tree, and take a 2 - 2 - 1 twist between Divine Crusader (Fire Spell Power), Legendary Dreadnought (20 more PRR) and Shadowdancer (6 more AC).

11: The stats can be increased further by casting Tensers Transformation, but you will have to use the scroll version, due to the 85% inherent ASF. This is not problematic though, since the scroll can be purchased from The Portable Hole, which you can teleport too. Suggestion: Use on boss fights only.

12: At this moment in time, he does not have a sentient weapon equipped.

13: When he does have a sentient weapon, I will probably go for the Otto's Filagree set, for the 200 extra SP. This likely won't happen until level 29 however.

14: He only really has to concentrate on increasing both Fire Spell Power and Fire Crit, gear wise.

15: I intend to take both Master of Fire and Improved Mage Armour as his first couple of epic destiny feats.

16: He has no trapping ability, but he can use Knock on Doors and Chests, without worrying about ASF.

17: Later on, Energy Burst will become his main DPS spell, as well as Dragon Breath.

18: He relies on using both a shield and sacred defence for increased AC, PRR, Saves, HP and Constitution.

19: He has a number of the store gems equipped, which include a Fortification gem, Armoured Agility gem, Dexterity gem, False Life (25) gem, Deathblock Gem, Immunity to Blindness and Fear Gems.

I don't know if this build has been posted before, I apologise if it has.

However, that is what I am using for now.

Just wondered what your thoughts were, on using a build like that?

Selvera
09-25-2018, 03:39 PM
Well dps might not be your focus; but with the ravenloft belt and some items like the panasophic circlet and/or ravenloft scepter; you should be able to have much higher spell power and spell crit at level 20.

Does tower shield give PRR if you don't have proficiency? (I don't know; haven't used many shields without proficiency before). I know that armor will not give PRR unless you have proficency. The madstone shield however gives proficiency with the item;so if all you want is prr and need prof; this is a way to do it.

Your AC/PRR/MRR look decent for level 20, especially if you're not building off a base of epic pastlives; your HP and saves are a bit low for a "tankier build". Did you take the 20% HP from the paladin tree to get that? It might help. Or maybe I'm spoiled by good gear and reaper points and not remembering what normal people have at 20. Still; you want saves to be double your level at least.

If you're wearing heavier armor; don't bother with epic mage armor epic feat. It doesn't stack with what you're wearing. (Epic mage armor gives a +20 ARMOR bonus to AC; something like the embrace of the spider queen (heavy armor) gives +27 ARMOR bonus to AC; since they're the same type; they don't stack and you get the higher one).

AbyssalMage
09-25-2018, 04:30 PM
Does tower shield give PRR if you don't have proficiency? (I don't know; haven't used many shields without proficiency before). I know that armor will not give PRR unless you have proficency. The madstone shield however gives proficiency with the item;so if all you want is prr and need prof; this is a way to do it.

I want to say it does. I use the Tower Shield out of GH and initially used Master's Touch (to gain proficiency) but remember not seeing a change in PRR using the spell so dropped it.

Dave2004uk
09-25-2018, 07:20 PM
Well dps might not be your focus; but with the ravenloft belt and some items like the panasophic circlet and/or ravenloft scepter; you should be able to have much higher spell power and spell crit at level 20.

Your AC/PRR/MRR look decent for level 20, especially if you're not building off a base of epic pastlives; your HP and saves are a bit low for a "tankier build". Did you take the 20% HP from the paladin tree to get that? It might help. Or maybe I'm spoiled by good gear and reaper points and not remembering what normal people have at 20. Still; you want saves to be double your level at least.

If you're wearing heavier armor; don't bother with epic mage armor epic feat. It doesn't stack with what you're wearing. (Epic mage armor gives a +20 ARMOR bonus to AC; something like the embrace of the spider queen (heavy armor) gives +27 ARMOR bonus to AC; since they're the same type; they don't stack and you get the higher one).

Your talking about the Burnscar Sash from Sunrise right? I haven't got that far into Ravenloft yet, but your right, it would be a better belt. I'm using the Outpost Sniper Belt at the minute, from the mining camp series in Eveningstar. I haven't put too much into farming gear yet, because he's just dinged 20, and all the really good stuff starts dropping between 28 and 29. As for the Morning Lords scepter from Ravenloft, I'll be getting that too. I have not collected it yet, but that will be on my to do list. I did have the Pasophic Circlet, but I exchanged it too the Mighty Stormreach Guardians helm, to boost my starter strength (which was 8) so that I wouldn't be helpless every 2 seconds due to strength draining, and because I had it on me at the time.

Yes, the Tower Shield gives PRR, but that isn't through the proficiency with the Tower Shield, that is through the feat Shield Mastery. I use it in conjunction with Adamantium Body, and the Heartwood Docent from Search and Rescue, in Eveningstar which, in my opinion, is the best docent in the game. I will keep my eyes open for the Madstone Shield. Shields are one of those items, where there just doesn't seem to be a great Tower Shield that grabs me as soon as I see it. To me, they all seem a bit... Meh.

I'll keep that in mind about Mage Armour. At least it helps me to decided which feat to take as my first epic feat. As for past lives, I haven't even done this one yet, and to be honest, I don't worry about past lives much. I have never really done TR'ing. All of my characters are 1st life characters. Tbh, I don't see the point of going through all of the levelling process again, given how long it can take to solo, just for a few additional points.

Sunnie
09-26-2018, 09:51 AM
Yes, the Tower Shield gives PRR, but that isn't through the proficiency with the Tower Shield, that is through the feat Shield Mastery. I use it in conjunction with Adamantium Body, and the Heartwood Docent from Search and Rescue, in Eveningstar which, in my opinion, is the best docent in the game. I will keep my eyes open for the Madstone Shield. Shields are one of those items, where there just doesn't seem to be a great Tower Shield that grabs me as soon as I see it. To me, they all seem a bit... Meh.
Skyvault Shield is probably THE tower shield for casters since it has no ASF. It drops from one of the optional dragon fights in GH Tor, though, so isn't exactly easy to get to. Fanion, from the Shield of Legend turn-in in Necro 4 is also a decent choice I think, but large and not a tower shield. The Madstone Shield is a good one if you don't care about ASF since it gives you proficiency. According to the wiki shield proficiency is not needed to gain MRR from equipping one, for PRR it says you need to be proficient with your armor but doesn't mention shields at all. Some testing may be required.

Niminae
09-28-2018, 03:46 AM
Skyvault Shield is probably THE tower shield for casters since it has no ASF.

And if you don't absolutely have to use a tower shield, you can pick up a mithril heavy shield from the end reward of Waterworks pretty easily. It isn't a guaranteed drop but you can run the chain over level and will see it about once every 3 runs. I've heard that it can offer a mithril tower shield but I've never seen that. A mithril heavy shield has only a 5% asf, which is trivial to overcome vie enhancements or augments.

AbyssalMage
09-28-2018, 09:46 AM
Skyvault Shield is probably THE tower shield for casters since it has no ASF. It drops from one of the optional dragon fights in GH Tor, though, so isn't exactly easy to get to. Fanion, from the Shield of Legend turn-in in Necro 4 is also a decent choice I think, but large and not a tower shield. The Madstone Shield is a good one if you don't care about ASF since it gives you proficiency. According to the wiki shield proficiency is not needed to gain MRR from equipping one, for PRR it says you need to be proficient with your armor but doesn't mention shields at all. Some testing may be required.
Drops from Blue in case new players were wondering :)

mr420247
10-01-2018, 12:47 PM
With adamntium body usually you don't want that much arcane spell failure early on

I used to go with no body or mithril then use the free feat swap at 20 with an asf augment

Enoach
10-01-2018, 01:13 PM
When it comes to survival there are actually multiple aspects you have to concern yourself with to make a go decision, but these questions seem to go with the Physical

Physical Damage - This is the melee/range hits that one can be attacked with.

Now, there are these areas to consider
AC - Create Miss Chances - Outside of armor and shield wearing the Sorcerer has innate access to Mage Armor and the Shield Spell. UMD/Potions access to Barkskin. Keeping in mind this does scale as you go up in levels in that an AC at level 5 is not as good at level 10.

Dodge - outside of Armor/Shield restrictions you can hit the max. Unlike AC this percent is fixed in that 5% at level 5 is still 5% at level 10

Concealment - Blur/Displacement effect (countered by True Seeing) and Cloud effects (just as effective from scroll) grants 20% miss (True Seeing does not bypass, but you are limited in area of effect and Wind effects can remove)

PRR - Yes with Armor it is easier to achieve higher numbers to reduce the amount of damage taken. There is gear that adds this so while you can get more from Armor you can still achieve some from other gear.

--
Before I would recommend dawning armor/shield I would say you need to review if you can achieve the defense you need without it.