PDA

View Full Version : Dungeon Difficulty levels; the meaning of Heroic

Nebless
08-07-2018, 03:05 PM
While I've seen it through out my time I've pretty much ignored it, but I was wondering what exactly is 'Heroic Levels'. If one asks about what levels one of the expansion's cover you might hear 'heroic level 10-12' or some such. Just what does that mean?

From poking around in the Wiki I came up with this:

'game differentiates between three tiers of play: Heroic (up to level 20), Epic (21-30), and Legendary (level 31+).'

Which to me would mean heroic = normal levels, or looking at my character a level 13 means I could do a heroic lvl 13 or less quest.

?

AbyssalMage
08-07-2018, 03:13 PM
While I've seen it through out my time I've pretty much ignored it, but I was wondering what exactly is 'Heroic Levels'. If one asks about what levels one of the expansion's cover you might hear 'heroic level 10-12' or some such. Just what does that mean?

From poking around in the Wiki I came up with this:

'game differentiates between three tiers of play: Heroic (up to level 20), Epic (21-30), and Legendary (level 31+).'

Which to me would mean heroic = normal levels, or looking at my character a level 13 means I could do a heroic lvl 13 or less quest.

?
Basically what the wiki said. You gain a few perks (Epic Destinies and Twists of Fate) at 20+ and NPC's gain a few wards (i.e buffs to saves) to compensate. In level 31+ content they gain a few other immunity's from a specific weapon effects found in one expansion. Otherwise it is unlocking Feats/Destinies and NPC's gaining more HP's to compensate. The AI never changes and the quest objectives rarely change whether you running it on Heroic or Epic/Legendary.

asdfghhjkl
08-07-2018, 06:39 PM
Many quests have two versions: one that can be run by Heroic characters, and one for Epic/Legendary characters. It's the same story, but designed to be a challenge for two very different sets of characters.

For example, the harbor quest "Memoirs of an Illusionary Larcener" is a level 13 Heroic quest, suitable for low to mid teen level characters, but can also be run as a level 31 Legendary quest, typically by characters at or near the level cap.

Another example is the "Demon Sands" adventure pack. It contains Heroic quests ranging from level 10 to 12, some of which can also be run as Epic quests of level 21 and 22.

Your level 13 character cannot enter Epic quests at all, but you can enter heroic quests of level 17 and lower. See http://ddowiki.com/page/Quest_minimum_level

Nebless
08-07-2018, 07:06 PM
Got it; just a word to set the normal lvl 1 - 20 stuff apart. I always thought it was a separate level above the normal first 20 levels. Guess I can start seriously looking at the expansions then.

Thanks you two.

Follow on:

In some quests you'll see (on the wiki breakdowns) Optional: X +7% (herioc). So that would be an optional ONLY normal lvl 1 - 20 (Heroic levels) would get right?

FlavoredSoul
08-08-2018, 11:13 AM
Got it; just a word to set the normal lvl 1 - 20 stuff apart. I always thought it was a separate level above the normal first 20 levels. Guess I can start seriously looking at the expansions then.

In some quests you'll see (on the wiki breakdowns) Optional: X +7% (herioc). So that would be an optional ONLY normal lvl 1 - 20 (Heroic levels) would get right?

Effectively yes, Some (most) quests have the exact same optionals available on both heroic and epic, while other quests have the available optional objectives be different on heroic and epic.

This comes about because most epic quests are just scaled up stat wise versions of heroic quests, but some like Three barrel cove have different objectives.

For example:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Storm_the_Beaches

has the same objectives in heroic and epic

now compare http://ddowiki.com/page/Ghost_of_a_Chance_(epic) and http://ddowiki.com/page/Ghost_of_a_Chance, and notice how the list of optionals is different in the epic version.

Nebless
08-08-2018, 12:01 PM
Thanks all.