PDA

View Full Version : Sonic weapons for Bards and other good gear items

Zaharia
08-05-2018, 05:42 PM
Is there a naming prefix that denotes a weapon does sonic damage?

According to site;
http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_29_randomly_generated_loot
…I see;
Weapon Damage
• Biting - Acid damage
• Smoldering - Fire damage
• Chilled - Cold damage
• Orderly - True Law
• Venomous - Poison damage
• Shocking - Electrical damage
…but what about sonic damage?

What prefix word is used for naming weapons that deal sonic damage?

I ask because I am doing a BARD character for first time, currently at level 7, focused on single-weapon fighting with orb (not swashbuckling because I want to fight with more than short swords and I don’t want to give up 3 lvls to class Ranger to obtain Tempest enhancement tempest making scimitars a light weapon for swashbuckling).
What wording should I be using to find good BARD stuff in auction house?
Stuff to increase sonic spell power and stuff that does sonic damage?
Is there any other gear I should be on-the-lookout for my bard?
Where are magical musical instruments sold in the auction house?

Thanks in advance.

Grace_ana
08-05-2018, 08:13 PM
Sonic spellpower is "resonating," but there isn't any lootgen that does sonic damage, to the best of my knowledge. There aren't any magical musical instruments - the Mad Lute from Amrath is as close as you can get, and it isn't really an instrument but a club. Your songs can be played no matter what weapon you are holding.

You will probably also want anthem to regenerate your songs (available as a rare augment and an effect on some named gear), perform boosts, charisma, and enchantment DC boosts. Spell pen is also good, since enchantment spells have spell pen checks.

FlavoredSoul
08-05-2018, 10:55 PM
Is there a naming prefix that denotes a weapon does sonic damage?

According to site;
http://ddowiki.com/page/Update_29_randomly_generated_loot
…I see;
Weapon Damage
• Biting - Acid damage
• Smoldering - Fire damage
• Chilled - Cold damage
• Orderly - True Law
• Venomous - Poison damage
• Shocking - Electrical damage
…but what about sonic damage?

Assuming you are talking about flat added damage to attacks, sonic damage does not appear on random gen weapons.

Mind if I ask why exactly you're looking for sonic weapons, I'm not an experienced bard player but i can't think of any reason to want sonic damage other than that it is relatively rare for mobs to be immune to it, an acid or shock weapon will probably work out just as well for you. Flat damage on weapons DOES NOT scale with your spellpower in any way.

I ask because I am doing a BARD character for first time, currently at level 7, focused on single-weapon fighting with orb (not swashbuckling because I want to fight with more than short swords and I don’t want to give up 3 lvls to class Ranger to obtain Tempest enhancement tempest making scimitars a light weapon for swashbuckling).

Just to let you know you're absolutely gimping yourself if you're playing SWF bard without swashbuckling, melee bards absolutely require Swash to be even remotely competitive as it's a truly massive damage spike.

Critical threat range is one of the most important stats on a melee once you get to higher levels, and it's pretty much the only thing swashbucklers have going for them.

I don't want to tell you how to play but you're already SWF so it's just a waste to not swashbuckle, what you're doing now will probably work out fine if you're only running normals, but even then you're going to really slow down if you plan on playing in epics.

Just in case you didn't know, swashbucklers can use many weapons other than just short swords

Dagger, Shortsword, Throwing Dagger: +1 Threat Range, +1 Multiplier
Light Mace, Light Hammer, Kama, Sickle, Dart, Shuriken, Throwing Axe, Throwing Hammer: +2 Threat Range, +1 Multiplier
Kukri, Rapier: +1 Multiplier
Handaxe: +2 Range
Light Pick: +1 Range

Of the options Shortsword, Dagger (if you have the vistani tree unlocked), Rapier, and Handaxe are all very good options, also the in the mid teens you can use the forester brush hook kama which is insane while swashbuckling, While 3 ranger levels would let you swashbuckle with scimitars, they wouldn't gain any of the very nice crit range/multi bonuses the above weapons get (though you would get other benefits of swashbuckling).

There is a reason why almost every single SWF build splashes 3-6 bard levels and it's for swashbuckling.

What wording should I be using to find good BARD stuff in auction house?
Stuff to increase sonic spell power and stuff that does sonic damage?
Is there any other gear I should be on-the-lookout for my bard?
Where are magical musical instruments sold in the auction house?

Thanks in advance.

if you're looking for damage for sonic spells you want "resonating", there isn't any random gen gear that does sonic damage anymore, There used to be some effect called shrieking, but it's not on random loot anymore.

Sonic spell power is increased with resonating OR potency item (they don't stack), a perform item, you'll also want sonic lore if you're using sonic spells, just remember that none of this will help you with your melee damage.

Since you described yourself as a SWF bard I'd suggest you drop the focus on sonic damage entirely and focus on melee (swashbuckling), you'll want basics like a accuracy & deadly item, the best con/false life, deathblock, 100% fort (available as a blue augment at level 8), a devotion item (for your self healing).

You really want to focus on either your sonic spells or just being a melee with some self healing (A devotion item) and crowdcontrol (charisma/a enchantment item)

if you chose to go melee some good items to look out for are Symphonic lenses, Mantle of Fury (the rage effect isn't important, you want it for consolidating CON/doublestrike/dodge on one item), Vistani knife fighter sash. these are all ML10 and from Ravenloft, look to cannith crafting or auction house for a sheltering, accuracy, strength, and maybe enchantment DCs.

cru121
08-05-2018, 11:44 PM

It's called Reverberating (sonic damage on hit) and Screeching (sonic damage on crit).
You can find it for example on Forgotten Axe (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Forgotten_Axe). You can swashbuckle with it if you wanted.

At some point, the Sonic damage weapon prefix was called Shrieking. http://ddowiki.com/page/Elemental_(weapon)#Shrieking