PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness areas question

DDfan2000
08-01-2018, 06:35 PM
Am I missing something as to a reason to complete everything in these? For example Korthos Island you have to kill a total of 750 things which seems like a lot of grind if all you get is XP or is it that the XP you get is just that much worth the time it takes to kill all that. Basically by the time I complete elite of everything on Korthos Island the wilderness area I only get 1 rare shy of half the locations and 20% of the kills done. If I were to get the rest it would be time dedicated specifically to that. Which is why I was wondering if I'm not seeing a bigger picture or missing something for taking the time to complete them. Thanks.

C-Dog
08-01-2018, 09:45 PM
When I run Korthos, in one pass I usually come close to the 25 mark by accident, or the 50 mark if I'm trying. If you run to every last corner and alcove, you might get close to 100 without leaving, resetting and re-entering - but why take the time?

There is more XP in the game than most need, especially at lower levels. Even a pure F2P doesn't need the Korthos wilderness to level up to 3 before they hit the Harbor, if they run all 8 basic Korthos quests on Elite. And that's without Misery's Peak.

I'm guessing the reason those extra Hunters are there is two-fold - one, there was a time, when Korthos was new, that you actually did need that xp. And now, re other Hunter areas - it's become traditional.

Sim w/ the locations and rares - do it if you want. Not necessary for leveling.

So - no, you don't need to worry about finishing that out. Fight your OCD, grab 25 or so while you're running around, call it good, move on, don't look back. ;)

Kylstrem
08-02-2018, 01:37 PM
Am I missing something as to a reason to complete everything in these? For example Korthos Island you have to kill a total of 750 things which seems like a lot of grind if all you get is XP or is it that the XP you get is just that much worth the time it takes to kill all that. Basically by the time I complete elite of everything on Korthos Island the wilderness area I only get 1 rare shy of half the locations and 20% of the kills done. If I were to get the rest it would be time dedicated specifically to that. Which is why I was wondering if I'm not seeing a bigger picture or missing something for taking the time to complete them. Thanks.

The only reason to max out every explorer area would be to satisfy an OCD desire to check EVERY BOX in the game. Especially the Korthos area.

Now places like Epic Orchard, Thunderholme, and the New Barovian area (at least for slayers) give massive amounts of XP in a very short time if you are running a 50% pot and a 200% slayer.

If you got a good party of 6 people in Epic Orchard, all who could split up and be self-sufficient, you can easily get up to 7500 kills in less than hour. That's about 2 million XP with 50% pot going. 2 million XP per hour is really good.

cdbd3rd
08-02-2018, 01:46 PM
The only reason to max out every explorer area would be to satisfy an OCD desire to check EVERY BOX in the game. Especially the Korthos area.....

When one's OCD meets the 7500 cap of Red Fens.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/ab/bc/70/abbc702eeecb1124371d9bd9ae36b547.gif

Kylstrem
08-02-2018, 01:52 PM
Ugh Red Fens...

and yeah, The TR reset of every explorer area is just a killer for the truly OCD.
I want to get every past life 3x... but I also want to max out every explorer area...
Ooh, got every past life, now I'll start doing explorer areas and character monster manual kills.

Oh no, SSG's next update/expansion includes a new race and/or class?!?!?!?

:cool:

Selvera
08-02-2018, 02:14 PM
The only non-xp reward for "completing everything" in wilderness zones is that if you get all of the explorer locations in a zone; it unlocks the full map of the explorer area (as well as usually a decent chunk of xp). While this is fairly athsthetic; I do like doing it in some higher level zones like thunderholme because explorers are essentially guaranteed decent XP that anyone can get regardless of character power (as long as mobsdon't kill them getting there). And some maps are pretty. Use a wiki to find all the explorers.

For low level zones like Khorthos; this is really unnecessary; there's plenty of other xp around that level which is typically much faster to get for any character. But it can still be fun to run around Khorthos once or twice for the explorers to see the whole zone.

And yes; the full maps do reset when you do a TR; so it's not like they're permanent if you jump on the TR cycle.

FlavoredSoul
08-08-2018, 11:18 AM
It's really not needed nor is it efficient to max out slayers in low level content, just grab the explorers while you're going to the quests and maybe hit the first or second milestone for slayers.

I wouldn't even consider caring about slayers until Orchard at the earliest, and even then it's just grab what you can while questing and then farm rats vans to the next milestone, I'd never recomend you max out any heroic slayer area.

The only wildness areas anyone maxes anymore is Kings Forest, Epic Orchard, Thunderholme, and Legendary Barovia.

Nebless
08-08-2018, 11:57 AM
The Slayer deed, not so much.

When going to and from quests in a wilderness area I'll kill everything I find, but once the quests are done, that's it for the killing. Now I might go back from time to time if I don't want to do a quest, but just run around and kill stuff, but unless I'm really close 380 out of 400 etc.... Where I end is where I end.

Now I will do all the explorer points just because those are fairly easy and will try a couple times to get the rares, but I've never been able to complete the rares deed on any wilderness map I've done. You always have those that always show - thank you for the loot, and you will have those that only show once in a blue moon. Yes I'll check the locations while running the quests and if I'm just screwing around killing stuff I might check if I remember what I'm missing, but it's not a priority.

It's nice xp to get, but not MUST HAVE xp.

Something to think about that goes along with those slayer deeds is completing the monster manual deeds. While generally those just come as they may, I did notice I was close on one of my Bugbear deeds so I farmed Crystal Cove to finish it for the xp.