PDA

View Full Version : build help

kage1822
07-08-2018, 10:35 AM
first, I'm a F2P, so only have access to the basic free classes.

yes I know this multi class isnt ideal, but I like it and am seeking some assistance in making it better with the limitations I have...

the character is a multiclass sorcerer/rogue, right now its 2sorc/1rog with the air & Cold Savants and EK, i know, i know EK not ideal for a sorc/rog, but the mage armor SLA is too good to pass up, and i'm enjoying the eldricth strike.

oh I should mention this is first life, once I'm able to TR, i'm going Wiz/Rog

C-Dog
07-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Welcome to DDO!

Okay, several points, so... where to start...

Well, before that - not a lot of good news. BUT, Level 3 is nothing, so at absolute worst you can delete and rebuild something better. I know it seems like a lot of effort lost, but in the long run (even the medium run!) it will not seem so. At worst, for now you can use this guy as a mule to hold your spare loot.

yes I know this multi class isnt ideal, but I like it...
First, "I like it" is the goal of the game! Rule #1 is always "Have fun!", and don't let anyone - not me, not that founding vet, no one - tell you how to have fun!

That said, I have to ask - if you play a "fun" build, but soon start dying more and more, and failing quests more often - will that still be "fun"?

And I ask because you ~might~ well be heading that way... :(

oh I should mention this is first life, once I'm able to TR, i'm going Wiz/Rog

If you get there.

DDO is not D&D. Or, more accurately, not any edition you've played before.

One of the (VERY) common pitfalls when shifting from tabletop to this game is expecting Character Building to work the same - it doesn't. No amount of tabletop will prepare you to be a DDO Character Designer. Think of DDO as "D&D Edition 6.e" - it's similar, but just not the same as any edition you've played before.

Some of the char-gen rules are slightly different, and there are "Enhancements", which adds a whole 'nother level to the whole thing. But right now, let's stick to simple trapping mechanics...

In this case, in order to be an effective Trapper, you need 3 skills kept at max:

o Spot (to be notified when a trap is nearby)
o Search (to find the trap-disarming box)
o Disable Device (to... well, yeah)

And those need to be maxed because if you don't have enough, you fail - and you don't want to fail.

And you can also have Open Lock, altho' that doesn't ~need~ to be maxed. In fact, if you can keep your gear current with your level, and don't mind re-rolling until you roll high enough, "most" locks in the game can be opened with just the starting 4 ranks of Open Lock + Gear + enhancement boosts.

So - to keep those 3(+) skills maxed, a character needs one or both of the following:

1) Enough Skill Points to purchase them
and/or
2) Enough Rogue level to make up for a multi-class build not having enough skill points

Classes like Fighter, Cleric, Paladin - and Sorcerer - only have 2 skill points/level. In DDO, you can (and need to) buy 2 cross-class ranks of each of those skills - that's 6 skill points/level, OR enough rogue levels mixed in to make up for that.

the character is a multiclass sorcerer/rogue...
And I'm gussing that your Sorcerer doesn't have ~18 Int. ;)

...right now its 2sorc/1rog with the air & Cold Savants and EK, i know, i know EK not ideal for a sorc/rog, but the mage armor SLA is too good to pass up, and i'm enjoying the eldricth strike...
Okay, slow down - Eldritch Strike says you're being a melee build - so why the Sorcerer levels???

What are you trying to get out of this build? What was "the plan"? To be a magic-buffed combatant? To be a caster with combat as a back-up? To be Batman?

How would this work on tabletop that you are trying to duplicate here?

In DDO, even more than D&D, you really want to specialize. If you're a caster, your spells should ~always~ be better than pulling out a weapon, and vice versa. A build that can do a little magic and a little fighting will start to fail at both around Level 5-8. So it will take you a LOT longer to get to 20, if you can ever even make it.

That may be too much "fun" from one character, even for you. :rolleyes::cool:

... and am seeking some assistance in making it better with the limitations I have...
So, let's get down to it...

First, without seeing your character, I have to warn you that it just might not be remotely practical, depending (see below). There are lots of good sorcerer builds out there, and lots of good rogue builds, and some decent "flavor" builds that combine magic with combat - but almost no Rogue-Sorcerer combos that anyone "recommends" to new players (and certainly not as "first life"). And adding "trapping" in there only thins it out more and makes matters less tenable.

So, again - without knowing the details - sorry, but this does not sound like a promising start. Sometimes, ya just can't get there from here. :(

That said (and if you still insist on pushing forward)... need to know more about your build, what exactly we have to work with. So...

o What race?
o I assume you took Rogue at Level 1?
o What Stat spread? Str/Con/Dex/Int/Wis/Cha?
o What Feats so far? (Level 1, (Human?), Level 3?)
o Can we abandon |Trapping"? Is that a dealbreaker?
o (Out of curiosity - what Server is home?)

Not saying we can get there from where you are now, but if it's possible, there are those on the forum who will know, and how to minimize the obstacles. :cool:

kage1822
07-08-2018, 08:41 PM
Welcome to DDO!

o What race?
o I assume you took Rogue at Level 1?
o What Stat spread? Str/Con/Dex/Int/Wis/Cha?
o What Feats so far? (Level 1, (Human?), Level 3?)
o Can we abandon |Trapping"? Is that a dealbreaker?
o (Out of curiosity - what Server is home?)

Not saying we can get there from where you are now, but if it's possible, there are those on the forum who will know, and how to minimize the obstacles. :cool:

Elf
yes
STR 10, DEX 20, CON 8, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 20
Toughness & Maximize Spell (mainly use it for my SLAs)
I'd like to keep trapping
Ghallanda

I just went and reset all of my trees, so that I can scratch EK, and start building a proper Sorc/Rog with help

C-Dog
07-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Cool - but you ignored one of the most important questions, one asked in several places in the above post - what are you trying to get out of this build?

Caster w/ melee to fall back on? Melee combatant w/ magic to buff? Mix? Anything and everything? That, as much as anything, will dictate where to go from here, whether to push on or "back to the drawing board". :cool:

Elf
STR 10, DEX 20, CON 8, INT 16, WIS 10, CHA 20
Yeah, that doesn't remotely add up. Or, rather, it adds up to 48 out of (at max) a possible 36 points - and that's without getting above an 18 Charisma (which is kinda impossible on an Elf). So... hrmmm...

I need the "base" stats, before ship buffs and gear (try mouse-hovering over to see).

I would guess that those are all "+2" from Guild buff - b/c that does add up, exactly, BUT that adds up to 36 points - and I'm dubious that a new F2P player is already on 3rd life.

But, ignoring that, some comments...

Dex is (nearly) useless unless you're a Dex-based combatant - which this isn't. Dump Dex.

Con is NOT a dump stat. That alone will kill you more than any other obstacle with this build. Start with 6 points into Con, see where that leaves you.

I was going to post a suggested build, but here's the problem...

Search + Disable Device (the absolute minimum any Trapper needs) is 4 skill points/level. Plus Spellcraft (so you can blast decently) is 5/level.

For Sorcerer, that requires a 16 Int. Less if you add more Rogue levels, but then you're ending up with a spell progression that is behind your character level curve - you're getting level 3 spells when most sorcerers have level 4-5, etc. So "blasting" suddenly becomes weak, at best, and a fail all too often.

You want at least 6 build points into Con so you aren't a glass cannon.

You want a high Charisma, so... yeah... and, if you only have 32 points, that's it, done.

And that still means your carrying capacity sucks, and you need 2 extra feats (Insightful Reflexes and Force of Personality) so your Will and Reflex Saves don't suck. But oh well...

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 12 (+6)
Int 16 (+10)
Wis 8
Cha 18 (+16)
= 32 build points

So, for skills, each Sorcerer Level, that's 5 skill points, or...

+1 Spellcraft
+1 Search
+1 Disable Device

... which means that, unless you have someone in your party who has all the traps memorized, you're going to be finding them barbarian style - with your face.

So, you start subbing in Rogue levels to make up for that... and you start losing out on caster levels, which hurts the spells you have and reduces your casting DC for what you do have, so they don't land as often nor hit as hard.

Is this build "fun" still?

Now, if you want to use Sorcerer to buff a Rogue build, that's different, and doable - just don't think you'll be able to do any offensive blasting, or at least much of anything that's very effective.

kage1822
07-08-2018, 10:45 PM
Cool - but you ignored one of the most important questions, one asked in several places in the above post - what are you trying to get out of this build?

Caster w/ melee to fall back on? Melee combatant w/ magic to buff? Mix? Anything and everything? That, as much as anything, will dictate where to go from here, whether to push on or "back to the drawing board". :cool:

Yeah, that doesn't remotely add up. Or, rather, it adds up to 48 out of (at max) a possible 36 points - and that's without getting above an 18 Charisma (which is kinda impossible on an Elf). So... hrmmm...

I need the "base" stats, before ship buffs and gear (try mouse-hovering over to see).

I would guess that those are all "+2" from Guild buff - b/c that does add up, exactly, BUT that adds up to 36 points - and I'm dubious that a new F2P player is already on 3rd life.

But, ignoring that, some comments...

Dex is (nearly) useless unless you're a Dex-based combatant - which this isn't. Dump Dex.

Con is NOT a dump stat. That alone will kill you more than any other obstacle with this build. Start with 6 points into Con, see where that leaves you.

I was going to post a suggested build, but here's the problem...

Search + Disable Device (the absolute minimum any Trapper needs) is 4 skill points/level. Plus Spellcraft (so you can blast decently) is 5/level.

For Sorcerer, that requires a 16 Int. Less if you add more Rogue levels, but then you're ending up with a spell progression that is behind your character level curve - you're getting level 3 spells when most sorcerers have level 4-5, etc. So "blasting" suddenly becomes weak, at best, and a fail all too often.

You want at least 6 build points into Con so you aren't a glass cannon.

You want a high Charisma, so... yeah... and, if you only have 32 points, that's it, done.

And that still means your carrying capacity sucks, and you need 2 extra feats (Insightful Reflexes and Force of Personality) so your Will and Reflex Saves don't suck. But oh well...

Str 8
Dex 10
Con 12 (+6)
Int 16 (+10)
Wis 8
Cha 18 (+16)
= 32 build points

So, for skills, each Sorcerer Level, that's 5 skill points, or...

+1 Spellcraft
+1 Search
+1 Disable Device

... which means that, unless you have someone in your party who has all the traps memorized, you're going to be finding them barbarian style - with your face.

So, you start subbing in Rogue levels to make up for that... and you start losing out on caster levels, which hurts the spells you have and reduces your casting DC for what you do have, so they don't land as often nor hit as hard.

Is this build "fun" still?

Now, if you want to use Sorcerer to buff a Rogue build, that's different, and doable - just don't think you'll be able to do any offensive blasting, or at least much of anything that's very effective.

caster with melee to fall back on
I usually always give my cloth and light armor characters high DEX as DEX affects AC to a degree, plus reflex, and certain skills

Base Stats were:

STR 8
DEX 16
CON 6
INT 14
WIS 8
CHA 18

I really don't want to start over, as I'll lose stuff given to me by some of my guild members, as F2P I do not have shared bank space

C-Dog
07-09-2018, 02:22 AM
caster with melee to fall back on
K, got it. Caster it is.

There will be no "melee to fall back on", except by accident. Any spell will be better than any melee damage this toon can dish out. If you're completely out of spell points, he can pull out a bow and pewpew for free.

(For a designed melee/evoker, see this build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470282-The-Fusion-Reactor-An-Energy-Efficient-21st-Century-Drow-Evoker).)

I really don't want to start over, as I'll lose stuff given to me by some of my guild members, as F2P I do not have shared bank space
Yeah, a Shared Bank is one of the first targets to buy w/ DDO Points for any F2P account. Start saving up now - if you take a 100-favor runner thru all 8 servers, you should have 1,000(+) DP, which will send you well on your way. Wait for a sale, grab it when it comes around.

But the easy solution is to whip up a 2nd F2P account and dualbox (http://ddowiki.com/page/Dualbox). It's legal in-game, and unless something is bound, you won't lose a thing.

I usually always give my cloth and light armor characters high DEX as DEX affects AC to a degree, plus reflex, and certain skills
That's legit in D&D, but in DDO "armor class" and "to hit" work w/ a different (and non-intuitive) formula. Bottom line, unless you really focus on it, it's not worth pursuing, at least not at the expense of the basic character. Currently in DDO, offense is king, so let's get your DPS up, and we drop Dex off the fire escape with full military honors :cool:

STR 8
DEX 16
CON 6
INT 14
WIS 8
CHA 18
That's 28 points, a much more reasonable (read: possible) start. :cool:

Okay, 18 Cha is solid for a caster, but 14 Int is not sufficient for a multi-class trapper w/ a main class that only has 2 skill points /level. So we have to cut some fat off one or the other of those concepts. And by your preference, it won't be Charisma.

And 6 Con... ugh. Think Gandalf against the Balrog, but if Gandalf were not a Player Character, and was just some NPC wannabe sparkfinger. Splat, he remarked, and was forgotten. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, we already talked about Dex - gone. So that's what we have to work with.

So, given the cards you have, you can either...

1) Abandon trapping. If you stick w/ Sorcerer, 4 skill points/level is simply NOT enough. I know, but it's just one of your (very) limited options, just throwing it out there. You focus on Sorcerer levels and never look back. Not every class can do everything, at least not as a first build.

...or...

b) Abandon casting, and take a level of Rogue about every 3-5 levels to keep the trapping skills up. This will get you the skill points you need, but at a cost. Losing that many caster levels will seriously gimp your casting ability, and you'll feel it more and more as you level up. But you'll have your trapping skill points. But this is even less attractive than #1.

...and/or...

iii) (THIS) - Use the free Heart of Wood you have to re-design your build. You can't change your Race or the Rogue level, but you can change the stats to solve one (or both) of the above problems. I think this is your best bet at this point, and this is exactly the type of thing that the HoW is there for, to fix broken builds for new players.

Remember - DDO is not D&D. Sorry, just the way it is. :(

I recommend choice iii, but notice that you can't get 16 Int and any more than an 8 Con - still painfully low. Glass cannon low. Flyspeck on the windshield low. Thermo-nuclear-tipped derigible low. I trust you're hearing this. Your choice, but you've been warned.

At Sorcerer Level 8 (Character Level 9) you'll get Wall of Fire - that's money. So at Character Level 10 you can either continue w/ Sorcerer, or take another multi-class splash (discussed below).

So... here's what I'd suggest, using the LHoW and rebuilding...

Option 1: Abandon Trapping, or at least most of it. Stick to this build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5741622&viewfull=1#post5741622) as closely as possible - understanding that you'll be a caster level behind. Go Electric first, and then Flame (and respec for Cold later if you want, your call).

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt
. . . . . . . .----
Strength. . . . 10
Dexterity . . . 10
Constitution. . 12
Intelligence. . 12
Wisdom. . . . . .8
Charisma. . . . 18. . .

Skills
. . . . . R .S .S .S .S .S .S .S .S .R. S. S. S. S. S. S. S. S. S. S
. . . . . 1 .2 .3 .4 .5 .6 .7 .8 .9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20
. . . . .------------------------------------------------------------
Concent . 2 .3 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Spellcr . 2 . . 2. 2. 2. 1. 1. 1. 1. . .2 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .23
UMD . . . 4 . . . . . . .½ .½ .½ .½ .7. . .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ . . 17
Open Lo . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
Balance . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
Jump. . . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
Haggle. . 4 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .4
Swim. . . 3 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .3
Heal. . . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2
Tumble. . 1 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .1
. . . . .36 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .9. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 2
. . . . .36 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .9. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3

Shown for Level 10 is Rogue 2, for the Use Magical Device skill points, which will help you cast scrolls like Raise Dead and Heal at higher levels, and Evasion, which will not be great, but... meh, better than nothing. If you don't want to go Rog 2, your best alternatives are...

o Barb 1 - 10% faster running. Run to quests, run after loot, run away from trouble. Faster feet is better feet.
o Wizard 1 - for +1 more caster Feat, more spell points, and some lowbie filler spells (Shield, Protection from Evil, Expeditious Retreat - those don't scale w/ Caster Level)

or ignore the 2nd multi and just stick w/ moar Sorcerer, that works too.

If you take Barbarian at 10, your skill is Jump or UMD. If you take Wizard, just fill spellcraft/concentration + UMD.

You'll get Knock in place of Open Lock, and leave Trapping to the pro's. Note also the 10 Str will help a LOT w/ carrying capacity (http://ddowiki.com/page/Carrying_capacity), which can be a real pain w/ 8 Str.

(See this post (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5574422&viewfull=1#post5574422) for suggested spell list)

Your alternative, Option 2: sticking to Trapping, is more complex, less durable, requires more gear, and is only ~barely~ a trapper at that...

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt
. . . . . . . .----
Strength. . . . .8
Dexterity . . . 10
Constitution. . .8
Intelligence. . 16
Wisdom. . . . . .8
Charisma. . . . 18. . .

Skills
Disable . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 . . . . . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .23
Search. . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Spellcr . 2 .1 .1 .1 .1 . . 2. 1. 1. . .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .20
UMD . . . 4 . . . . . . . . . .½ .½ .6. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
Concent . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2
. . . . .44 .5 .5 .5 .5 .4 .4 .4 .4 11 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5
. . . . .44 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 11 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5

He can't "Spot" the traps, so you have to either rely on your party, or your memory, or DDOWiki for trap locations.

Here, w/ Int +3 > Dex, Insightful Reflexes is an investment worth considering for Evasion.

I think those are your 2 best options, w/ my recommendation leaning strongly toward the first. A simple Electrical Sorcerer is a blast, and the Rogue Level will soon be forgotten. TR, and it'll just be a lesson you can pass on to others. We've all been there. ;)

Oh...

Toughness & Maximize Spell (mainly use it for my SLAs)
See this thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5741622&viewfull=1#post5741622) for a good feat selection. Level 1 you won't be able to take any metamagics (since a Rogue 1 can't cast any spells), so... either Insightful Reflexes, or, yeah, Toughness, altho' that's not great.

kage1822
07-09-2018, 09:15 AM
K, got it. Caster it is.

There will be no "melee to fall back on", except by accident. Any spell will be better than any melee damage this toon can dish out. If you're completely out of spell points, he can pull out a bow and pewpew for free.

(For a designed melee/evoker, see this build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470282-The-Fusion-Reactor-An-Energy-Efficient-21st-Century-Drow-Evoker).)

Yeah, a Shared Bank is one of the first targets to buy w/ DDO Points for any F2P account. Start saving up now - if you take a 100-favor runner thru all 8 servers, you should have 1,000(+) DP, which will send you well on your way. Wait for a sale, grab it when it comes around.

But the easy solution is to whip up a 2nd F2P account and dualbox (http://ddowiki.com/page/Dualbox). It's legal in-game, and unless something is bound, you won't lose a thing.

That's legit in D&D, but in DDO "armor class" and "to hit" work w/ a different (and non-intuitive) formula. Bottom line, unless you really focus on it, it's not worth pursuing, at least not at the expense of the basic character. Currently in DDO, offense is king, so let's get your DPS up, and we drop Dex off the fire escape with full military honors :cool:

That's 28 points, a much more reasonable (read: possible) start. :cool:

Okay, 18 Cha is solid for a caster, but 14 Int is not sufficient for a multi-class trapper w/ a main class that only has 2 skill points /level. So we have to cut some fat off one or the other of those concepts. And by your preference, it won't be Charisma.

And 6 Con... ugh. Think Gandalf against the Balrog, but if Gandalf were not a Player Character, and was just some NPC wannabe sparkfinger. Splat, he remarked, and was forgotten. :rolleyes:

Fortunately, we already talked about Dex - gone. So that's what we have to work with.

So, given the cards you have, you can either...

1) Abandon trapping. If you stick w/ Sorcerer, 4 skill points/level is simply NOT enough. I know, but it's just one of your (very) limited options, just throwing it out there. You focus on Sorcerer levels and never look back. Not every class can do everything, at least not as a first build.

...or...

b) Abandon casting, and take a level of Rogue about every 3-5 levels to keep the trapping skills up. This will get you the skill points you need, but at a cost. Losing that many caster levels will seriously gimp your casting ability, and you'll feel it more and more as you level up. But you'll have your trapping skill points. But this is even less attractive than #1.

...and/or...

iii) (THIS) - Use the free Heart of Wood you have to re-design your build. You can't change your Race or the Rogue level, but you can change the stats to solve one (or both) of the above problems. I think this is your best bet at this point, and this is exactly the type of thing that the HoW is there for, to fix broken builds for new players.

Remember - DDO is not D&D. Sorry, just the way it is. :(

I recommend choice iii, but notice that you can't get 16 Int and any more than an 8 Con - still painfully low. Glass cannon low. Flyspeck on the windshield low. Thermo-nuclear-tipped derigible low. I trust you're hearing this. Your choice, but you've been warned.

At Sorcerer Level 8 (Character Level 9) you'll get Wall of Fire - that's money. So at Character Level 10 you can either continue w/ Sorcerer, or take another multi-class splash (discussed below).

So... here's what I'd suggest, using the LHoW and rebuilding...

Option 1: Abandon Trapping, or at least most of it. Stick to this build (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5741622&viewfull=1#post5741622) as closely as possible - understanding that you'll be a caster level behind. Go Electric first, and then Flame (and respec for Cold later if you want, your call).

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt
. . . . . . . .----
Strength. . . . 10
Dexterity . . . 10
Constitution. . 12
Intelligence. . 12
Wisdom. . . . . .8
Charisma. . . . 18. . .

Skills
Concent . 2 .3 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Spellcr . 2 . . 2. 2. 2. 1. 1. 1. 1. . .2 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .23
UMD . . . 4 . . . . . . .½ .½ .½ .½ .7. . .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ .½ . . 17
. . . . .36 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .9. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 2
. . . . .36 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .3 .9. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3. 3

Shown for Level 10 is Rogue 2, for the Use Magical Device skill points, which will help you cast scrolls like Raise Dead and Heal at higher levels, and Evasion, which will not be great, but... meh, better than nothing. If you don't want to go Rog 2, your best alternatives are...

o Barb 1 - 10% faster running. Run to quests, run after loot, run away from trouble. Faster feet is better feet.
o Wizard 1 - for +1 more caster Feat, more spell points, and some lowbie filler spells (Shield, Protection from Evil, Expeditious Retreat - those don't scale w/ Caster Level)

or ignore the 2nd multi and just stick w/ moar Sorcerer, that works too.

If you take Barbarian at 10, your skill is Jump or UMD. If you take Wizard, just fill spellcraft/concentration + UMD.

You'll get Knock in place of Open Lock, and leave Trapping to the pro's. Note also the 10 Str will help a LOT w/ carrying capacity (http://ddowiki.com/page/Carrying_capacity), which can be a real pain w/ 8 Str.

(See this post (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5574422&viewfull=1#post5574422) for suggested spell list)

Your alternative, Option 2: sticking to Trapping, is more complex, less durable, requires more gear, and is only ~barely~ a trapper at that...

Stats
. . . . . . . .28pt
. . . . . . . .----
Strength. . . . .8
Dexterity . . . 10
Constitution. . .8
Intelligence. . 16
Wisdom. . . . . .8
Charisma. . . . 18. . .

Skills
Disable . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 . . . . . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .23
Search. . 4 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 1. 23
Spellcr . 2 .1 .1 .1 .1 . . 2. 1. 1. . .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .1 .20
UMD . . . 4 . . . . . . . . . .½ .½ .6. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 11
Concent . 2 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .2
. . . . .44 .5 .5 .5 .5 .4 .4 .4 .4 11 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5
. . . . .44 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 11 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5 .5

He can't "Spot" the traps, so you have to either rely on your party, or your memory, or DDOWiki for trap locations.

Here, w/ Int +3 > Dex, Insightful Reflexes is an investment worth considering for Evasion.

I think those are your 2 best options, w/ my recommendation leaning strongly toward the first. A simple Electrical Sorcerer is a blast, and the Rogue Level will soon be forgotten. TR, and it'll just be a lesson you can pass on to others. We've all been there. ;)

Oh...

See this thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5741622&viewfull=1#post5741622) for a good feat selection. Level 1 you won't be able to take any metamagics (since a Rogue 1 can't cast any spells), so... either Insightful Reflexes, or, yeah, Toughness, altho' that's not great.

ok, so let me ask these questions;

1)if I took wiz levels, what do u think of EK tree, not for melee, rather some of the SLAs such as mage armor or shield
2) what sorcere trees would you recommend and how to use points on them?

C-Dog
07-09-2018, 04:23 PM
I added it above as an afterthought, but I have to say that the dual-box approach, to create a short-term mule on a 2nd F2P account to hold your best loot while you build a proper sorcerer, is the best of all the options. I have several alt accounts (far too many, ahem), and it's a technique that helps F2P/Premium immensely while you get your main account up to speed. The Rogue Level has created a flawed build - not insurmountable, but if you aren't losing much loot it'd be SO much better to start w/ a proper plan.

(also, see Private Message)

If you do, then go with this: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5741622&viewfull=1#post5741622 . It's also a good thread to read re "Sorcerer theory", altho' some few of the comments (esp re Palis) are out-dated due to more recent class revamps.

(Air-Fire version + spells here: https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457833-Basic-New-Player-Friendly-Sorc-Build?p=5574422&viewfull=1#post5574422)

(Note - if you really want, you can throw a starting level of Bard (for CLW + misc skills) in there and use a 2-handed weapon for early levels - it delays every Sorcerer spell by 1 level, but still quite workable, and you have a better character in the long run (i.e. by Level 10 or so).)

1)if I took wiz levels, what do u think of EK tree, not for melee, rather some of the SLAs such as mage armor or shield
In theory, nothing wrong w/ those SLA's, BUT taking Wiz levels dilutes your Sorcerer levels, so delays your better spells - bad plan. You want Sorcerer 18 Core enhancements for your Level 20 end-game, so that leaves you only 1 more non-sorcerer level to choose. Anything more is a bad move, and even then you should def wait until Sorcerer has their core spells, and that includes Wall of Fire.

2) what sorcerer trees would you recommend and how to use points on them?
The link I quoted above is a great thumbnail sketch, the "newbie friendly sorcerer". Basically, the 2 best trees are Fire or Electricity (Air). The 1st Fire SLA you want is Burning Hands, which is a nice little AoE - and, yes, you're doing it right by adding Maximize to those (pile on every Meta you can!). With the fire enhancements you can grab early fire spells to back that up. Flame on.

But once you can get Tier 4, Electric Loop is your money. So, as soon as feasible (~22 AP? during Character Level 6) you spend a few hundred PP, respec out of Fire and 100% into Air, grabbing Electric Loop asap. The AoE plus stun is just money. And you can spend some more coin and change your Sorcerer spells out of Fire to Electric to be better supported by your new tree.

From there, fill out Air Tier 4, and then grab either Fire or Cold (cold (water) might be better, as stuff starts to get immune to fire around level 7 or so, but Firewall is always a go-to, so ymmv).

Alled78
07-14-2018, 09:02 AM
Consider going sorc at first life is really difficult because u needto know well quests and spells.

I suggest you to go 18 sorc at leastdont split too much or u lose the main power of sorc : high lvl spell, and all core enhancement

I suggest going lightning sorc getting tier5 ehnancement as soon as possible
Then i used to invest in ek to gain light armor at least
Evasion is not very useful if u have low reflex save as all sorc usually have