PDA

View Full Version : Newbie questions

Evehn
06-30-2018, 11:10 AM
Howdy!

I'm Evehn, nice to meet you all :)

I'm very new to the game. Actually I had an account years ago, but I've only realized just now how much I enjoy this game. Better late than never I guess ;)

I have read about TR, epic reincarnations, past life feats, third lives, 36 points builds... And I can't get my head around how to get to one optimal character in a straight line, so here I am.

Let's say I'm really into playing a caster druid, specifically something like Gingerspyce's build, what would the path to get there look like? I'm guessing I'd have to play at least twice to lv 20 as a sorcerer for the caster past lives, but after that I don't know exactly what to aim toward, and in which order. Any help would be appreciated!

I also noticed that there is the offer about veteran status 3, I was wondering if I could make a few alts, accept the quest on the ship, and leave them there ready to level up, so that I don't have to decide on all the builds together.

Thanks a lot!!

C-Dog
06-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Welcome (back?) to the game!

...I have read about TR, epic reincarnations, past life feats, third lives, 36 points builds... And I can't get my head around how to get to one optimal character in a straight line, so here I am.

... I'm guessing I'd have to play at least twice to lv 20 as a sorcerer for the caster past lives, but after that I don't know exactly what to aim toward, and in which order. Any help would be appreciated...
Right - 1 reincarnation gets you to 34 build points (doesn't matter if you started at 28 or 32), and the 2nd gets you to 36, the max.

As for past lives, all depends what you mean by "optimal". Improvements rapidly become diminishing returns, but the small boosts all add up, and there are a LOT of them possible. So it really depends on what your build is, and what boosts are important to you, and how much effort you want to put in before you have your "optimal" character.

Here's a list of all possible for standard Heroic "True" Reincarnation, which happens at Level 20 and gives you a Class Past Life bonus...

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life#Free_feats

So, Sorcerer past lives would get +20 spell points & +1 to Evocation for each PL - and you could do 3, if you wanted to max that. Note that if, instead, you wanted your (very few) Conjurations to get a similar boost, you would need Cleric PL's - and so on.

You could also go with Racial Past Lives, and chase down boosts to your stats and free racial AP's - but that's both a longer road and (probably) a less significant boost - e.g. 4 PL's for +2 to Wisdom, 2 more for +2 AP. But it's an option...

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Racial_Reincarnation#Racial_PL_Benefits

From there, we could talk about Iconic PL's, and Epic reincarnation (2 diff things) - and you can get both an Iconic and Class PL at the same time - if you wanted to go there. Again, small boosts, but it all adds up.

But for a "short" straight line to a 36 point evoker, yes, 2 Sorcerer PL's is the way to go.

I also noticed that there is the offer about veteran status 3, I was wondering if I could make a few alts, accept the quest on the ship, and leave them there ready to level up, so that I don't have to decide on all the builds together.
Yes and no - you have to decide on Level 1, which is the foundation for the rest of any build. If you can do that, then, yes, you can leave that Level 1 alt there and worry about Levels 2-10 later. Just make sure you select "I want to start at Level 10" before the event is over!

unbongwah
06-30-2018, 01:02 PM
Welcome to DDO. :)

First off, I'll say that how much time you spend on the leveling treadmill will depend both on your tolerance for the grind and your long-term game plans. The forums are dominated by long-time players focused on maxing out their performance in the hardest Reaper content. But most content can be played just fine on a first-life build, particularly if you're comfortable with soloing at your own pace. Don't feel as though you have to treat DDO like it's a second job to do well, because where's the fun in that?

That said, for a caster druid build like Ginger's, I would say the past lives I would prioritize are:

Heroic PLs: Sorcerer x3 for the stacking Evocation DC bonus and Wizard x1 for the chooseable past-life feat
Racial PLs: Human x2 and Aasimar x2 for the extra WIS; one more of each gets you extra racial APs
Epic PL Arcane Criticals x3 for the spell crit bonus
Iconic PL: Morninglord x3 for the Light / Alignment Spellpower bonus. Remember you also get a heroic PL feat with Iconic TRs.

Secondary PLs include:

Wizard x3 and Favored Soul x3 for stacking Spell Penetration bonuses. Druids have relatively few spells with Spell Pen checks, so this is a much lower priority for them than e.g. Pale Master builds.
Cleric x3 for Conjuration DC bonus. Again, not a lot of offensive Conjuration druid spells, so less of a priority than the Evocation bonuses above. [Combining with Morninglord ITRs is a no-brainer though.]
Paladin x3 for the stacking heal amp: good for any toon which relies on positive energy healing, really.
Druid x3 if you want to invest in summoning. Though summoning in DDO is still largely terrible. :o
Power over Life & Death (Divine EPL) for extra Positive Spellpower.
PDK and Deep Gnome ITRs for the stacking PRR & MRR bonuses, respectively. Extra Divine EPLs will also boost PRR.

Evehn
06-30-2018, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the great answers!

I guess I had completely misunderstood the mechanics of the past life feats. I thought they were feats unlocked for all characters each time a character TR and you could only slot a few at character creation, while in fact they are a stacking bonus for one single character, not shared with any other character, correct?

So I can reincarnate as many time as I want on a character, and at one point I'll TR to my favorite class/race and keep all the bonuses I got thus far?

EllisDee37
06-30-2018, 05:28 PM
they are a stacking bonus for one single character, not shared with any other character, correct?Correct, yes.

So I can reincarnate as many time as I want on a character, and at one point I'll TR to my favorite class/race and keep all the bonuses I got thus far?Yes, exactly.

Evehn
07-01-2018, 05:26 AM
Thank you!!

Since I'm only lv 7, it might be wise to use the veteran 3 promotion to start another class at level 10, and get the final one when I have at least the 36 points build and a few useful past lives.

Xgya
07-01-2018, 07:44 AM
Thank you!!

Since I'm only lv 7, it might be wise to use the veteran 3 promotion to start another class at level 10, and get the final one when I have at least the 36 points build and a few useful past lives.

A pretty good idea.
The gear offered at level 10 isn't that amazing, so you might want to keep a few pieces you earned along the way, either by the way of shared bank, or, if you don't have that yet, by mailing the best ones (that aren't bound) to your new character.

unbongwah
07-01-2018, 12:00 PM
To be honest, Veteran Status 3 is a newbie trap, IMO. Starting at level 10 with only the basic starter gear (http://ddowiki.com/page/Veteran_Status_II_starter_item) while you're still learning how to play the game is a recipe for frustration because the quests in that level range expect you to be, like, competent at playing. It makes more sense to take the slow road: start from the beginning, learn as you go, and acquire some better gear in the process. Once you know what you're doing and have more resources to twink your alts, then take advantage of Veteran Status for your other toons.

Evehn
07-02-2018, 02:58 AM
I actually decided to stay on my little druid, I missed him straight away when I tried starting at level 10 with no idea what to do :p

Plus I would leave too many quests behind, and I thorougly enjoy getting to know the dungeons. Most people I group with have been very patient and helpful so far, so +1 for Sarlona!

SirValentine
07-02-2018, 08:41 AM
But for a "short" straight line to a 36 point evoker, yes, 2 Sorcerer PL's is the way to go.

Certainly a reasonable path, though I'd also consider instead doing 1 Wiz + 1 Sorc. Wiz gets you the option for +1 to all DCs, and also some more spell pen.

Igognito
07-02-2018, 11:43 AM
Stay with your lvl 7 character. The favor you have gathered is more important than 3 lvls.

Do make lvl 10 characters on other servers to play later. Good for fast favor collection :-D

PsychoBlonde
07-02-2018, 03:44 PM
To be honest, Veteran Status 3 is a newbie trap, IMO. Starting at level 10 with only the basic starter gear (http://ddowiki.com/page/Veteran_Status_II_starter_item) while you're still learning how to play the game is a recipe for frustration because the quests in that level range expect you to be, like, competent at playing. It makes more sense to take the slow road: start from the beginning, learn as you go, and acquire some better gear in the process. Once you know what you're doing and have more resources to twink your alts, then take advantage of Veteran Status for your other toons.

It works out well if you go BACK and do the LOWER-LEVEL quests, because they're quite easy at that point and you can try out various combinations of enhancements without much pressure.

I actually recommend that people make an Iconic as their first character (if they don't mind buying an Iconic class) and go back to clear favor from low-level quests. They won't be dying suddenly to the nasty "gotchas" in MANY low-level quests. They'll have a fair number of options spread before them, so they can get a look at what that looks like.

The really low-level stuff in the game can be frightfully boring. It's a sewer! With Kobolds! It's a warehouse! With more Kobolds! Many of the more interesting quests like Proof is in the Poison have painful gotchas like the SINGLE SHRINE in that GHASTLY LONG QUEST.

Yes, if you do "at level" stuff, it's going to suck. But if you drop down a few levels you can run quests quite comfortably even on high difficulties and actually ENJOY playing.

C-Dog
07-02-2018, 04:52 PM
Certainly a reasonable path, though I'd also consider instead doing 1 Wiz + 1 Sorc. Wiz gets you the option for +1 to all DCs, and also some more spell pen.
Excellent point - Wizard Past life Feat (the active one that you select, not the automatic passive Past Life bonus) gives +1 to all spells. But it does take a Feat slot, so you do have to fit it in somewhere.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life#Purchased_feats

Evehn
07-03-2018, 07:57 AM
I''l try and do something like druid --> sorc --> wiz --> druid --> sorc --> sorc -->druid, this way I'll have lots to play and enough variety. While I understand the wolf isn't really used in high level content, I still want to try and max him because it just feels right :D

I'm not really into raiding usually, so it works out well, should keep me busy for years!

C-Dog
07-03-2018, 01:09 PM
I''l try and do something like druid --> sorc --> wiz --> druid --> sorc --> sorc -->druid, this way I'll have lots to play and enough variety.
That's one way, but often once you have collected the gear you want/need for one class/build, it's handy to just re-use it immediately. Then you can lose the stuff you don't need for the next class(es), and save space in the long run.

Or not - either way.

While I understand the wolf isn't really used in high level content, I still want to try and max him because it just feels right :D
I'd say the majority of critiques on the forum are re Epic or end-Epic play, not end-Heroic. Wolf should do fine (maybe not optimal, but more than enough).

I'm not really into raiding usually, so it works out well, should keep me busy for years!
Once you figure it out, if you can hook on to one of the TR trains that go around, it might only take you as little as a few weeks to TR. Depending how dedicated you are to that goal.

Have fun!

supot2
07-05-2018, 03:30 AM
how do i post my own thread? i am a player of 8 years, but I forgot my old account password. This is frustrating.

Rog
07-05-2018, 05:50 AM
Howdy!

I'm Evehn, nice to meet you all :)

I'm very new to the game. Actually I had an account years ago, but I've only realized just now how much I enjoy this game. Better late than never I guess ;)

I have read about TR, epic reincarnations, past life feats, third lives, 36 points builds... And I can't get my head around how to get to one optimal character in a straight line, so here I am.

Let's say I'm really into playing a caster druid, specifically something like Gingerspyce's build, what would the path to get there look like? I'm guessing I'd have to play at least twice to lv 20 as a sorcerer for the caster past lives, but after that I don't know exactly what to aim toward, and in which order. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot!!
most people plan for months ahead, go at your own speed, and try to have fun.

Hipparan
07-05-2018, 07:29 AM
While I understand the wolf isn't really used in high level content, I still want to try and max him because it just feels right :D

I understand how you feel. I can't speak for the wolf, but the Iron Defender dog Artificers get was pretty useful for me at higher levels when I maxed him out. There is a lever in the Legendary Tempest's Spine raid where you need to have a high enough Strength to pull. My dog was the only "person" in the raid who was able to pull it. I bet if you put enough effort into your Druid Wolf, you could get it to that point as well. I think I might try that on my Druid as well.

unbongwah
07-05-2018, 08:51 AM
how do i post my own thread? i am a player of 8 years, but I forgot my old account password. This is frustrating.
Brand-new forum accounts have restricted posting privileges. Sorry about that. :(