PDA

View Full Version : Epic Chronoscope Question

Annex
05-22-2018, 05:10 PM
How difficult is The Chronoscope on Epic Normal difficulty? Is it equivalent to, say, Subversion on Epic Normal with full scaling? Are there any gotchas to avoid?

Various forum posters claim The Chornoscope is "easy" to solo but I am not a very good player. (I suck.) I would like to have a rough idea of what to expect before trying. Unfortunately, watching other people run a quest on YouTube conveys very little information about the kind of character required to succeed or what can cause a failure.

Thank you!

xCataluna
05-22-2018, 05:25 PM
I don't know what I could compare it in difficulty to that would be useful, but Chronoscope in general is very, very forgiving.
I just duo'd it a couple days ago as an Artificer, my partner's a Paladin.

There are at least four full shrines in there... and a fifth that might be resurrection only, might be a standard pair, I don't remember.
You'll want good-aligned damage, because devils, devils everywhere.
If you're worried about being squishy, don't zerg. The bearded devils will teleport and mob you like, five at a time. And they bring friends.

Versus Blood Plate you'll want to make sure you take out the Shavarath Armorers in each wave. They heal him and make that fight longer if you don't.
The Conjoined Abishai Destroyer has an overrun attack that's a pain if you're melee. And whenever it turns into a dragon, you do not want to be in front of it.
Get out of the tent at the end before it blows up. There's a portal on one side of the platform Tremas and Sullomades were standing on.

btolson
05-22-2018, 06:08 PM
For the boss fight, bring renewable sources of deathward, or be immune to e-drain. You will get dispelled (at least on harder difficulties, not sure on normal) and edrained down to level 1 otherwise. A source (scrolls) of greater restoration or unyielding sovereignty clicky are a nice fallback too.

Also bring remove curse, because the black dragon form has a mass tentacle attack that curses you for reduced (0?) incoming healing. It's usually not hard to avoid, unless you get knocked down.

Knockdown immunity is quite handy as well if you're melee, but not required. There's a stance in Unyielding Sentinel that provides it.

Otherwise the quest is not that tough, even on harder difficulties. If you die during the end fight, you will be teleported to a res shrine, and can just go back to the fight armed with more knowledge. Boss will reset though.

Fivetigers33
05-23-2018, 09:45 AM
I'm not sure what level you are, but I'd wager ANY level 30 toon with only random gen gear can stroll through that raid on Epic Normal with their eyes closed. Obviously it gets harder the lower your level, but soloing it on EN is a completely realistic goal. The fact that it's a raid may be psyching you out. Just give it a try. Worst case scenario you waste 30-40 minutes.

Annex
05-23-2018, 01:22 PM
Thank you very much for the replies and information. This endeavor makes me very nervous, yes. I will give it a try in a couple days when I return to level 30. Do you think 1,300 Hit Points and 100 Physical Resistance Rating will be sufficient to survive, presuming I can avoid level drain attacks?

AbyssalMage
05-23-2018, 02:17 PM
Strategy:

First fight (chrono transporter): Basic DPS fight. Nothing too special.

Second Fight (making your way to Tavern/Grimus?): Basic DPS fights. Nothing too special (i.e. watch the swarming).

Third Fight (inside Bank): On EE can be a pain but EH (and lower) isn't too much of a hassle. (because you are solo, the AoE attack in nullified)

*repeat second fight to sewers*

Fourth Fight: This one can be a severe pain in the keester. If you are unable to Range effectively you can easily get swarmed when he teleports onto "Kobald shaman ledges." If he gets onto a ledge you can't reach, withdraw (i.e. Retreat) to an area where it breaks LoS and wait for him to leave it so you can continue the attack. Otherwise, it is a straight DPS fight (but watch being swarmed).

Final Fight: If you are "geared to the gills" this fight is cake walk. Otherwise, do what most people do and hide in the naturally forming crevice and beat the **** out of the Dragon there. It prevents you from being swarmed.

Gear wise:
Silver + Good TF tier II (or better) weapon
DW clicky x3
Shield Scrolls/wands/clicky
Self-Healing (Cocoon, Silver Flame Pots, ED, ect...)

Never tried solo'ing as caster so not exactly sure what you would need as far as spell prep.

AbyssalMage
05-23-2018, 02:20 PM
Thank you very much for the replies and information. This endeavor makes me very nervous, yes. I will give it a try in a couple days when I return to level 30. Do you think 1,300 Hit Points and 100 Physical Resistance Rating will be sufficient to survive, presuming I can avoid level drain attacks?
More than enough. Should be able to solo EH/EN by level 24 (or earlier if you have some exceptional gear). DR breakers and self-healing are the "must haves" from my perspective for EN/EH.

Loromir
05-23-2018, 02:55 PM
I'm not sure what level you are, but I'd wager ANY level 30 toon with only random gen gear can stroll through that raid on Epic Normal with their eyes closed. Obviously it gets harder the lower your level, but soloing it on EN is a completely realistic goal. The fact that it's a raid may be psyching you out. Just give it a try. Worst case scenario you waste 30-40 minutes.

No need to wait til your level 30. Epic Normal should be doable at lvl 24 or so...even for a relatively new player. To me...the hard part is finding the incapacitated guards that need to be healed.

I would equate the difficulty of EN Chronoscope to EH Devils Assault.

Fivetigers33
05-29-2018, 11:06 AM
I will give it a try in a couple days when I return to level 30.

How did it go? The suspense is killing me!

Annex
05-29-2018, 05:21 PM
How did it go? The suspense is killing me!

I failed a couple Will checks and have not yet made the attempt. All the suggested items are assembled. Now I just need to force myself to craft some equipment and go.

Saekee
05-29-2018, 06:14 PM
hey Annex, that is a very popular raid. I suggest you open it up to everyone on EE from 20-30 and post in the text: "please come and zerg this thing." People will join for the Greater tokens at the end so that they can get some to make the Master's Gift (you need five; that raid is an easy way to accumulate them).

Is this a rogue build? One part that is tricky is the fast healing of the end boss. If you can use an elemental fury shortsword in the offhand, then that will not be an issue since no matter what, you will hit it with the elemental type that stops the fast healing (you will heal it slightly too lol).

The opening sequence always gives me goosebumps.

You an always just try it on EN. If you fail, you can still shut off your computer and have a cupcake or something.

blerkington
05-29-2018, 06:54 PM
Using stealth is problematic in there when Bearded Devils are nearby; they can find us even when our stealth skills are very high. If you get seen, you will have to stand and fight because running away will spread the alarm.

Moving slowly through the quest and killing everything might be the best method if you don't know where monsters appear and what types they are. There will be respawns though.

Take plenty of heal scrolls with you. You may not need them but it's better to have them anyway. Have a missile weapon too; you may need some way of bringing down the red abishai air patrols. If one sees you it may alarm other enemies as it follows you around.

There are two taverns with shrines. They reset on EN so you can use them more than once. If you try to enter the taverns while you have the aggro of teleporting monsters, those monsters may follow you inside.

Dimension door is useful for avoiding some fights, but you cannot use a hireling for that or for healing either because this is a raid.

Good luck with your attempt. I don't think you will find this difficult on a capped character if you try EN. If it does go badly or you want to duo it first for a practice run let me know and I will help you.

Thanks.

Annex
06-01-2018, 10:44 AM
Oops. I should probably watch my own thread. :o

hey Annex, that is a very popular raid. I suggest you open it up to everyone on EE from 20-30 and post in the text: "please come and zerg this thing." People will join for the Greater tokens at the end so that they can get some to make the Master's Gift (you need five; that raid is an easy way to accumulate them).

Is this a rogue build? One part that is tricky is the fast healing of the end boss. If you can use an elemental fury shortsword in the offhand, then that will not be an issue since no matter what, you will hit it with the elemental type that stops the fast healing (you will heal it slightly too lol).

The opening sequence always gives me goosebumps.

You an always just try it on EN. If you fail, you can still shut off your computer and have a cupcake or something.

Hello Saekee San! My avatar is and always has been a cat burglar...urrr....rogue assassin. I play her 98% of the time and have done so since I started back in 2013.

I want to solo Chornoscope for three reasons. First, I want my Trinket slot back on all my characters. Second, I want something new and exciting to work on in Epic levels. Festivals are few and far between in DDO. Third, if I am powerful enough to solo it, I can start making Epic Normal groups every weekend to help new and casual players learn the raid and earn Epic Dungeon Tokens.

I will not run anything on Epic Elite or higher difficulty. My avatar would get crushed and I play to survive.

Annex
06-01-2018, 10:49 AM
Using stealth is problematic in there when Bearded Devils are nearby; they can find us even when our stealth skills are very high. If you get seen, you will have to stand and fight because running away will spread the alarm.

Moving slowly through the quest and killing everything might be the best method if you don't know where monsters appear and what types they are. There will be respawns though.

Take plenty of heal scrolls with you. You may not need them but it's better to have them anyway. Have a missile weapon too; you may need some way of bringing down the red abishai air patrols. If one sees you it may alarm other enemies as it follows you around.

There are two taverns with shrines. They reset on EN so you can use them more than once. If you try to enter the taverns while you have the aggro of teleporting monsters, those monsters may follow you inside.

Dimension door is useful for avoiding some fights, but you cannot use a hireling for that or for healing either because this is a raid.

Good luck with your attempt. I don't think you will find this difficult on a capped character if you try EN. If it does go badly or you want to duo it first for a practice run let me know and I will help you.

Thanks.

Thank you very much for the extremely kind offer, blerkington. If I fail miserably, I will contact you.

I think I am prepared for everything accept the 1,000 point Constitution drain. I have no clue how I can possibly deal with that.

HungarianRhapsody
06-01-2018, 10:56 AM
I'll mention that the Sands of Menectarum raid Against The Demon Queen is also very doable in Epic. And a lot of fun.

Enoach
06-01-2018, 11:08 AM
I failed a couple Will checks and have not yet made the attempt. All the suggested items are assembled. Now I just need to force myself to craft some equipment and go.

For will saves think about adding Spell Resistance to your "bag of tricks". If gear is not something you can work in, you can use UMD to get the base Spell Resistance. Keep in mind the UMD is the "no fail" mark, as this would be a buff more likely applied out of combat you can get away with a lower UMD then "No fail". Even if this only adds 20% chance the spell won't land it can make a significant defense vs Will Save attacks. The more layers they have to get through the less chance they will succeed.

Mass Version scrolls (13 minutes) Adds 25 (12 + 13 which is minimum caster level)
Aulandar Thistlecrown <Divine Scroll Vendor - Levels 3-7> found in House of Wizardry in House Jorasco
ML: 11, CL: 13, UMD: 44, Base value: 227pp 5gp

Single version scrolls (9 minutes) Adds 21 (12 + 9 which is minimum caster level)
Aulandar Thistlecrown <Divine Scroll Vendor - Levels 3-7> found in House of Wizardry in House Jorasco
ML: 7, CL: 9, UMD: 36, Base value: 112pp 5gp

blerkington
06-01-2018, 12:24 PM
Thank you very much for the extremely kind offer, blerkington. If I fail miserably, I will contact you.

You're welcome. The offer of help is there, and of course it's up to you to decide what form it would take. It's not a problem if you choose not to accept it.

There are a bunch of raids that we can solo on a capped character. So hopefully this attempt will open up another part of the game for you, and then later on you can help others get into the raiding scene too.

One of the other people in this thread is also on our server, and recently he has been doing teaching runs of various raids on low difficulty settings. The pace is relaxed, no-one gets yelled at, and he seems more than happy to explain what is happening at any given moment. If you see one of those runs, consider joining it.

Thanks.

Niminae
06-01-2018, 09:36 PM
For will saves think about adding Spell Resistance to your "bag of tricks". If gear is not something you can work in, you can use UMD to get the base Spell Resistance. Keep in mind the UMD is the "no fail" mark, as this would be a buff more likely applied out of combat you can get away with a lower UMD then "No fail". Even if this only adds 20% chance the spell won't land it can make a significant defense vs Will Save attacks. The more layers they have to get through the less chance they will succeed.

Mass Version scrolls (13 minutes) Adds 25 (12 + 13 which is minimum caster level)
ML: 11, CL: 13, UMD: 44, Base value: 227pp 5gp

Single version scrolls (9 minutes) Adds 21 (12 + 9 which is minimum caster level)
ML: 7, CL: 9, UMD: 36, Base value: 112pp 5gp

You missed a Spot check...

AbyssalMage
06-02-2018, 01:23 AM
Drink one of these (https://www.google.com/search?q=pictures+of+alcohol&client=firefox-b-1-ab&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLxo-8q7TbAhX5ITQIHTYeATYQsAQIKA&biw=1271&bih=620).
Makes every will check possible :)

On a serious note, have you tried yet?

Saekee
06-02-2018, 07:41 AM
Annex we are all rooting for you! Please give us an update!

Niminae
06-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Annex we are all rooting for you! Please give us an update!

Seriously, get in there and do it! What's the worst that can happen? You die a horrible death and have to spend a few hundred plat repairing your gear? *psaw* Just do it already!

Saekee
06-04-2018, 11:03 AM
Seriously, get in there and do it! What's the worst that can happen? You die a horrible death and have to spend a few hundred plat repairing your gear? *psaw* Just do it already!

hey Annex what can we do to help encourage you? it is a really lovely quest. I do not raid much ever but I do that one all the time. It is one of the best ones in terms of storylines.

Annex
06-06-2018, 02:09 AM
First off, I want to thank everyone offering advice and support, especially AbyssalMage for the very detailed responses.

So. The mission was a success! :D I took in two L30 cat burglars (pure Rogue Assassin) and completed the quest in 57 minutes. My avatar did all the fighting. My second character waited out the fighting in the Rusty Nail, tending to the wounded.

For others considering doing this on Epic Normal difficulty, except for the last fight, I found it about equivalent to an Epic Normal Devil Assault, scaled for 3.5. Unless intentionally trying to pull a huge group of enemies, the Devils attack in very manageable groups of 3 to 6. The flying Red Abashi often stay out of melee range so bring a missile weapon. I could not find all the injured guards and eventually gave up trying. Enemies continuously rejoin the battle. Bloodplate has about 50,000 hit points. I took him out in three rounds. Razorarm has about 25,000 hit points. I dropped him in about 15 seconds.

On Epic Normal difficulty, The Conjoined Abashi Devastator has about 150,000 hit points and posses more challenge than anything else in the Raid, by far. I fought him like I would a dragon, constantly attacking his right flank such that I orbited him until he was dead. When he changes into dragon form he freezes in place so if you are constantly seeking his flank, you will always end up out of the Breath Weapon Cone. The Red Dragon form comes and goes so quickly there is no way someone like me could actively dodge the attack. I simply never stayed in front of him. He dropped a cloud once. I moved 20 feet and then resumed orbiting him.

To prepare for the battle, I used the old Acid, Cold, Electricity, Fire, and Sonic shrines that go in the Airship Cargo Hold, figuring they could not be dispelled. To protect against the big Red Dragon breath attack, I twisted in Energy Sheath: Fire, and applied it right before starting the end fight. I only applied Death Ward for the end fight. I used Neutralize Poison potions to ward against the big Constitution drain attack. I had 1,490 hit points and doubt I ever went below 1,350 during the entire Raid. Blur, about 130 AC, about 110 PRR, Improved Evasion, and Epic Reflexes kept me quite safe.

Anyway, it was a very fun quest. I wish there were more like it. Thanks again for all the advice and guidance!

Oh. A few additional questions:

Is the Rusty Nail completely safe? It sure seemed so.

How often can I repeat this? Every three days?

Is Epic Normal Against the Demon Queen comparable in difficulty to this?

Does another quest continue the story of the Gann family and the fate of Nat Gann?

Fivetigers33
06-06-2018, 12:06 PM
Congratulations! Those poor city guards...

Devils might be able to teleport into the Rusty Nail if they are chasing you. I've never tested it though. Someone else may know for sure.

You can run it every 3 days.

Epic Normal Against the Demon Queen/Zawabi's Revenge is probably even easier than Epic Chronscope, assuming you have ranged dps for the actual raid portion. Without ranged dps, it's probably about the same.

Not sure about Nat Gann.

Saekee
06-06-2018, 12:55 PM
congratz!

Tricosene
06-08-2018, 09:35 PM
Does another quest continue the story of the Gann family and the fate of Nat Gann?

Don't forget that we get a clue in The Shipwrecked Spy and we find his urn in Partycrashers. I seem to remember finding another reference to his fate elsewhere, but I can't place it.

Anyhow, congrats on your success! I tried the epic version on solo not that long ago, too, and I had been afraid that it would slaughter me. Wasn't the storyline great? I thought it was one of the best quests in the entire game.

AbyssalMage
06-09-2018, 01:46 AM
<snip>

Oh. A few additional questions:

Is the Rusty Nail completely safe? It sure seemed so.
It should be because you "zone" into it.

How often can I repeat this? Every three days?
Yes (as long as you collect your end reward. Which I will admit I have done on more than one occasion).

Is Epic Normal Against the Demon Queen comparable in difficulty to this?
Easier.

As a ranged user just keep moving/kiting. Ignore the Gnolls (they re-spawn). Blur/Displacement help vs. Gnolls. Djinn (usually) die thanks to IPS while you are taking out The DQ. Don't get in melee range during her "I am War" phase (i.e. when she is <=20%).

***You will have to teleport both avatars into final fight area (i.e. Don't think final portal stays up long after final script begins). Second one may perish but easy to rez once all the fighting is done.***

Other than what Tricosene stated, I don't think so.

Annex
06-09-2018, 02:42 AM
Don't forget that we get a clue in The Shipwrecked Spy and we find his urn in Partycrashers. I seem to remember finding another reference to his fate elsewhere, but I can't place it.

I knew about the urn but not the pack! I want to save Nat Gann from the Devils!

Anyhow, congrats on your success! I tried the epic version on solo not that long ago, too, and I had been afraid that it would slaughter me. Wasn't the storyline great? I thought it was one of the best quests in the entire game.

Thank you and congratulations to you! I was absolutely certain I would get squished. Everything about the raid was a pleasant surprise and afterward, my first thought was, "Now why can't more regular quests be like that one?" I agree. It is one of the very best quests I have played.

Annex
06-09-2018, 03:01 AM
Yes (as long as you collect your end reward. Which I will admit I have done on more than one occasion).

POOH BEAR!!! *looks* Arrggggg. Drat!!! :mad: I was going to go again tomorrow! Oh well. Thank you for warning me.

Easier.

As a ranged user just keep moving/kiting. Ignore the Gnolls (they re-spawn). Blur/Displacement help vs. Gnolls. Djinn (usually) die thanks to IPS while you are taking out The DQ. Don't get in melee range during her "I am War" phase (i.e. when she is <=20%).

Unfortunately, I am pure melee. I inflict about as much ranged damage as a Wiffle Ball.

***You will have to teleport both avatars into final fight area (i.e. Don't think final portal stays up long after final script begins). Second one may perish but easy to rez once all the fighting is done.***

Drat. That won't work. That's okay.

Thank you again for all the information, AbyssalMage! :)

Aelonwy
06-09-2018, 12:59 PM
I knew about the urn but not the pack! I want to save Nat Gann from the Devils!

I found a reference to Nat Gann that surprised me just last fall. While running Bargain of Blood with my son for the first time, he wanted to click on all the Magic Speaking Mouths. Now I had done that, in 2009/10 when I first played the quest but hadn't since. One of the Mouths, has a message that they are "paging Nat Gann". I don't remember the exact sentence but other then mentioning his name it doesn't say a whole lot. I believe it was the Mouth in the first enclosed area with cowering NPCs behind the lookout-perch with a lever on top.

Annex
06-10-2018, 12:59 AM
It turned out my avatar was not on cooldown. I must have turned in the quest on my avatar but not with the other character. Anyway, I just went again, this time at level 24. All three boss fights took significantly longer and the Conjoined Abashai Devastator used more special attacks but I made it through.

Congratulations! Those poor city guards...

Devils might be able to teleport into the Rusty Nail if they are chasing you. I've never tested it though. Someone else may know for sure.

You can run it every 3 days.

Epic Normal Against the Demon Queen/Zawabi's Revenge is probably even easier than Epic Chronscope, assuming you have ranged dps for the actual raid portion. Without ranged dps, it's probably about the same.

Not sure about Nat Gann.

Thank you, Five Tigers! I am going to pay a visit on Lailat when next I reach level 30. She cannot really touch me in the quest version so maybe the raid version will go well.

I found a reference to Nat Gann that surprised me just last fall. While running Bargain of Blood with my son for the first time, he wanted to click on all the Magic Speaking Mouths. Now I had done that, in 2009/10 when I first played the quest but hadn't since. One of the Mouths, has a message that they are "paging Nat Gann". I don't remember the exact sentence but other then mentioning his name it doesn't say a whole lot. I believe it was the Mouth in the first enclosed area with cowering NPCs behind the lookout-perch with a lever on top.

Thank you for the hint, Aelonwy. I will run that quest tomorrow and look for the Magic Mouth.

Annex
06-12-2018, 09:58 PM
With my third successful Chornoscope run behind me I now have a Gift of the Master made and slotted in my Epic Ring of the Stalker. Yay me, I guess. :o After four years of swapping trinkets it feels very strange to play without worrying about such things.

One down and about 19 to go... I suppose this may take a while. :eek:

Annex
07-12-2018, 08:18 AM
After about 6 runs on The Chronoscope on Epic Normal difficulty, in my experience, the quest is _extremely_ uneven. For my characters, the Conjoined Abashai Devastator poses the only threat. In most runs the Devastator takes some time to kill but never lands a serious hit. However, sometimes the Devastator goes into Black mode, dispells all defenses, and drains levels extremely rapidly. In one run the monster dispelled my defenses and then drained off almost 1,500 hit points on a level 30 character in less than 3 seconds. I am simply not fast enough to react to something like that.

For anyone wishing to solo The Chronoscope without any deaths I highly recommend entering with immunity to Energy Drain, using something like Cold Shield to prevent an accident against Red mode, and then stacking maybe 800 hit points for everything else (if that).

I am retiring from solo raiding as I have one Master's Gift and that will do. Good luck to anyone else trying this. :)