PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian Capstone: Make Storm's Eye a permanent effect

Kaboom2112
04-30-2018, 07:07 PM
BSing with some other players about what to do to get barbs a little bit better compared to Fighters and other melee classes.

The +25 damage for barbs should be permanent feature, not a click that counts down.

Compared to fighter this is no way overpowered at all with all the MP and DS a Kensai can get. That and barbs in what uses to be considered the optimal setup of 41/38/1 AP setup cannot afford Know the Angles.

To be honest this is probably still under powered, but it's a start.

adrian69
04-30-2018, 09:04 PM
BSing with some other players about what to do to get barbs a little bit better compared to Fighters and other melee classes.

The +25 damage for barbs should be permanent feature, not a click that counts down.

Compared to fighter this is no way overpowered at all with all the MP and DS a Kensai can get. That and barbs in what uses to be considered the optimal setup of 41/38/1 AP setup cannot afford Know the Angles.

To be honest this is probably still under powered, but it's a start.

It's a decent suggestion, but it's unlikely. I think changing it to something like when you vorpal, you gain Storm's Eye for 12 seconds. If you're to-hit is good, then you should have pretty consistent uptime. Actually, if they had 20-30 more melee power from the trees and the 400 bludgeoning damage from capstone was more consistent, like it proced on a roll of 20 (or 19-20) instead of a 5% chance (still a 5% chance, just not as random anymore), and scaled with 200% melee power, they'd be right there beside Kensei in their own special way. Kensei is fine were it is except in some newer content. I hope the don't think nerfing it is the way to bring all melees in line when the others just need some simple fixes. A permanent Storms Eye is in line, but it would be a little bit stronger than Kensei. Maybe by 5-10%, so it's nothing outrageous.

The issue is barb MP is so situational with long CDs in between. You can Crackling Attack which gives an avg of +2[w] and 6 MP for 12 seconds out of 30. You have laughter which is 5 melee power for 12 seconds out of 30. Then you have Cruel Cut which is like 5 MP for 6/12/18 (I think, don't remember) out of 30. You have 15 permanent from cores. So like 31 MP tops for around 12 seconds out of 30. If I was on the council I would recommend these changes:

Frenzied Berzerker

Frenzy Increase to 10 melee power

Storm's Eye Toggle: You gain damage that increases on hit up to 15 stacks. Damage fades by 1 every seconds. You lose 5 melee power, 5 AC, 5 PRR, 5 MRR as long as Storm Eye remains toggled, but gain 10 to-hit.

Crackling Attack: 9 second duration/6 second CD

Ravager:

Slaughter and Laughter: Combine into one attack at 7.5 [W]. 10 Melee Power when you score a critical attack. 10 second duration/12 second CD. 2 AP.

Cruel Cut Line: Remove the Con Damage and combine with Dismember create the new cruel cut:
Cruel Cut: Does 1/2/4d6 Bane damage and 1/2/4d6 poison damage on hit. 10 second CD. 1 AP per tier.
Festering Wound: Reduces Healing Amplification by 25/40/50% and reduces PRR/MRR by 3/6/10 for 10 seconds; Prereq: Cruel Cut
Torpidity: The target's wounds have caused lethargy and lose 5/10/20 Melee/Ranged/Spell Power for 10 seconds. The creature falls down on a failed Fortitude Save of Barbarian Level+intimidate modifier. The knockdown effect does not work on bosses. prereq: Festering Wounds.

New Tier 4 ability:

Inspirational* Carnage: Your brutality inspires your allies: You gain 3/6/10 melee power and ranged power. This affect is doubled when raged and without the ability to cast spells. When you score a killing blow nearby allies will gain a primal bonus to 10 melee power, 10 ranged power, and 20 spell power for one minute.

Just some suggestions

Kaboom2112
04-30-2018, 10:55 PM
Your ideas are better than mine :)

adrian69
04-30-2018, 11:31 PM

Thanks. I get lost when thinking of nifty ways to make OS a better tree for a barbarian because it should be the "tank" tree, but there's little tanky about outside of +7/DR, saves, x to will saves, and antimagic shield, and the MRR bonus. I don't know if it's good or bad or horrible or is only for MC builds or is just mainly for flavor. It's hideous! It has 3 good things going on in there in my opinion, considering you don't want the capstone for the MRR.

Ear Smash
75% to rage
Anti-Magic Shell
Something else...

For me, they could move Anti-Magic Shell as over to Core 4 FB and activated by a RNG of like 10% for 20 seconds when force magic is used.
Combine Extend Rage with Extra rage as 20/35/50% for 3 AP!. And place Ear Smash in FB somehow by getting rid of Exhausting Blow, but moving power rage to tier 4 (who has the AP until 8-12 to buy more than +1 strength anyway?). They could just get rid of OS if they did this.

lyrecono
04-30-2018, 11:43 PM

No, not realy.
A barb needs more dps, not a capstone that takes away melee power.
Compared to other melee classes, the barb is way behind but to add insult to injury, a spellcasting class has been given the rage class ability, combined with a defencive stance???? Full spellcasting and due to the 25% hp has a potential higher hp, the druid makes a better class for raging and melee combat then the actuall barb.
Though the barb was the first melee class to recieve a pass, there was a lot of resistance from players that didn't partake in the highest settings of the endgame meta as a barb and thought the changes were making it to strong.
The game became harder and harder and the barb was left ill equiped to handle it due to the near sightedness of those players.
The devs don't come out of this without blame, steelstar already showed he knows little of the barb issues or melee as a whole.
Many other devs rarely play the game, if the do, it was often as an arti (cough sev, cough).

The current problems involve a lack of dps and survivebility, a fighter can focus on dps yet can easily spend a few feats and points to drasticly raise his mrr,prr and hp. A barb lacks this option.
Forgetting melee classes for a moment, a warllock, druid and arti have better defences and all 3 of those can stay out of reach if so desired.

There are also quality of life improvements to be made.
Why stop at making storm eye a toggle? Do the same for the 2 frenzies.
Remove ocult slayer and add runescared as a defencive option with limited spells to buff himself like a pally.
Also add some prr,mrr and much needed melee power to the greater and mighty rage class abilities, maybe a epic rage feat , adding a +4 str, dex,con and 1 mrr,prr,melee power per level, requiring lv 20 levels of barb.

Sebastrd
05-01-2018, 08:22 PM

Storm's Eye was initially bugged to work exactly that way.

the_one_dwarfforged
05-02-2018, 05:26 AM
they need to completely redesign frenzy and ravager to focus more on what each tree is specifically supposed to excel at.

imo, frenzy should be short duration high burst dmg, ravager should be trash killing.

i think a good change for rage mechanics would be to remove rage charges and instead make it a passive effect that has a chance to proc on hit, on taking dmg, and on kill, with additional stacks being granted up to a maximum (or with no limit, but each stack would have to be worth less) on those same conditions or perhaps based on intervals of time with the entire effect fading ~6 seconds after combat ends. i think this would contribute to solving barb self healing issues considerably without being a direct self healing buff.

possibly, i think it could be interesting for frenzy to become some entirely passive buff and death frenzy to become a buff clicky with no cd that stacks up to a maximum or perhaps unlimited but costs something considerable each time. the cost could be either a -10 hamp penalty per stack, or it could be 100 hp scaled by melee power. either way, it allows for some on demand burst, or gradual ramping up of a lot of power.

melee attacks (slaughter, cracking attack, cruel cut) need to be completely revamped in a lot of areas of the game, not just barb. personally i think it would be great if only a small percentage of active melee attacks used the basic attack animation (the ones that grant buffs and arent gratuitous; so, opportunity attack is a prime example, because the entire point of that ability is the mp buff, but its an attack for the flavor) and most of them used special animations and dealt considerably more damage than they currently do. i do not think barb should be relying on clicky attacks for buffs; their clicky attacks should just be direct damage abilities.

barb defenses dont need to be touched, theyre good enough. theyre barbs...if you want to kill stuff and not die...kill it faster or play a fighter, thats the whole point, isnt it?

assuming the discussion is primarily considering reaper, i think that it would be fine for barbs to do slightly more dps than fighters *only because* barb self healing is effectively removed from the game and *only if* barbs have both lower defenses and less crowd control options/effectiveness. fighter needs a complete redesign too imo, but, barbs yea, whatever.