PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on SSG's Customer Service

Oatmealsavage
04-11-2018, 09:17 PM
Hello All,

Recently, I attempted to craft a heroic green steel item leaving all my ingredients in my shared crafting storage. A bug of some sort caused the ENTIRE stack of several ingredients to get used instead of just one. I submitted a ticket and waited for an hour and a half for a GM. Like most of you, I have a job and RL commitments, so I had to log off. Today I logged in to see that the GM that was assigned my ticket told me that he/she was sorry but that the issue can't be resolved because I logged off.

I have stacks of 50+ shroud ingredients that went up in a puff of smoke and they seriously think that I need to wait on line for 10 hours to get it fixed? Here is my question. How does anyone get anything addressed by a GM if they take 10 hours to answer a ticket?

I have been playing this game a long time, but have rarely needed to submit help tickets. Is this the new norm with SSG? Any thoughts on recourse? Is there an easier path that I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance for any constructive ideas.

RapkintheRanger
04-11-2018, 09:23 PM
Hello All,

Recently, I attempted to craft a heroic green steel item leaving all my ingredients in my shared crafting storage. A bug of some sort caused the ENTIRE stack of several ingredients to get used instead of just one. I submitted a ticket and waited for an hour and a half for a GM. Like most of you, I have a job and RL commitments, so I had to log off. Today I logged in to see that the GM that was assigned my ticket told me that he/she was sorry but that the issue can't be resolved because I logged off.

I have stacks of 50+ shroud ingredients that went up in a puff of smoke and they seriously think that I need to wait on line for 10 hours to get it fixed? Here is my question. How does anyone get anything addressed by a GM if they take 10 hours to answer a ticket?

I have been playing this game a long time, but have rarely needed to submit help tickets. Is this the new norm with SSG? Any thoughts on recourse? Is there an easier path that I'm not seeing? Thanks in advance for any constructive ideas.

Constructive ideas, I have none.

J1NG
04-12-2018, 02:02 AM
It's very much touch and go with regards to wait times.

I've not had to contact in game CS much, but recently, the last 2 times, were answered (around) within 1 hour or less. But they were about the Aasimar Scourge cosmetics not being delivered on a TR. So was a quick fix for them really to mail them over.

There was another time however, where it was a multi-hour wait before the issue was even resolved.

It's mostly related to when you throw the ticket in I guess. The long wait times I had were all during late (US) evening times. Whilst the ones that were answered relatively quickly were early-mid day times (in the US). It's been like that since their change to service hours I believe.

J1NG

:: edit ::

Forgot to add. The shared bank ingredients use for crafting is a bit funny. Did you have multiple stacks of the ingredient in question? Because if you exhaust that pile, it will not automatically switch to the next one for you. You'll need to clear out the ingredient tab and then reselect it again. But if it can't see the ingredients still, its likely because the sharded ingredient storage only lets the first 11 pages be easily visible to crafting areas. The ones afterwards are buggy. The best things to do is to always pull needed ings out for crafting once you've bought the 2nd Ingredient Storage or more from the DDO store.

Memnir
04-12-2018, 02:11 AM
Try PMing Cordovan (https://www.ddo.com/forums/member.php/402576-Cordovan) about the matter, include ticket numbers if you have them.

HAL
04-12-2018, 06:27 AM
Hello All,

That is terrible news about your ingredients, I hope you get them back. Regarding Customer Service - no, this isn't new. It has been the case for as long as I can remember that if you create a ticket in-game that ticket will be closed with no help if you are not in-game when they get around to it. What I do is note my in-game ticket number and when I logoff I go to the SSG website and open a Help Ticket. I reference the in-game ticket number and give a description. A ticket opened on the website will not be auto-closed like an in-game ticket. I just don't open an in-game ticket if I know I'm logging soon.

Qhualor
04-12-2018, 06:38 AM
I suspect..
the hours that customer service is available
the volume of tickets
the amount of time it takes to address those tickets
VIP should still have the highest priority

there is not enough GMs to respond in a timely manner. I know when it was still Turbine there were at least a few cutbacks to customer service.

Lagin
04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
The CS team handles both games LotRO & DDO,(maybe more?) if you had this wait time issue yesterday, it was an update day, so the are busier than normal.

Also, I think LotRO just had an update 2 weeks ago? SO that adds to the wait time. SSG has been very consistent with in-game tickets. And I for one have no complaints with them.
As for the issue, that sucks. Hope you get it resolved. Losing items that we farm for isn't right.

*FYI for all players, if you are expressing your displeasure when submitting a ticket, be careful. Yelling, swearing and threatening in your submission will get you nowhere.
As the saying goes "it's easier to catch a fly with honey." Im NOT suggesting the OP did this, I just putting the tidbit out there.

noinfo
04-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Been waiting 13-14 hours to fix up a Tree on my druid. One of the trees has been missing since TR (checked all methods) been closed 2 days in a row with no assistance and this one is likely to be closed as well. So at the moment you really don't want to hear my thoughts on CS.

Going back through my last few years worth of tickets the last time I actually received any actual support was in 2014 after loosing all ED's. And then I had to put in multiple tickets and finally wait online for about 12 hours. Over half a dozen since then 0 resolved.
So as far as customer service goes... It goes without saying.

noinfo
04-12-2018, 05:07 PM
Been waiting 13-14 hours to fix up a Tree on my druid. One of the trees has been missing since TR (checked all methods) been closed 2 days in a row with no assistance and this one is likely to be closed as well. So at the moment you really don't want to hear my thoughts on CS.

Going back through my last few years worth of tickets the last time I actually received any actual support was in 2014 after loosing all ED's. And then I had to put in multiple tickets and finally wait online for about 12 hours. Over half a dozen since then 0 resolved.
So as far as customer service goes... It goes without saying.

And credit when it is due. Fixed while NOT online!

Oatmealsavage
04-12-2018, 08:44 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback. To answer some of the questions:

All of my ingredients were in one stack and only in the shared crafting storage tab, so there wasn't any issues with multiple piles. But good question nonetheless. The incident did happen around 2000 CST, so yes, it was in the evening. I'm sure that DID play a role in my ticket not getting answered.

I have no issues with them being busy. I get it. Even though I'm a VIP, I don't have a chip on my shoulder and assume that CS should get back to me in 5 minutes "or else". I'm bent out of shape at the lame reply. If the STANDARD is 2+ hours to respond to a ticket, then don't say, "Gee. We'd really like to help you, but you logged off. Oh well." That's not even close to reasonable considering the average age of our player base. I would have been happy with, "Hey sorry. We're swamped, but if you email the issue to www.trynottoloseyourshipoverthis.com, we'll put you on the list and try and resolve your issue."

*sigh* I will send the PM and try some of the other ideas. Truly, thanks everyone. The venting is cathartic as well. A stack of 50+ smalls isn't the end of the world, but d*** it, I earned those. All of them, just like most of you. I grinded 100+ shrouds. They're mine! Heh.

Night folks. See you in the Shroud. ;)

Jerevth
04-18-2018, 01:41 PM
I submitted my own TT, played for about two more hours. Logged off, later on I logged back in on a different toon and 10 minutes in this little gem popped:

Thank you for your request for assistance. Unfortunately we have to close this request as you were offline with the affected character at the time we were able to assist you. The issue you are reporting cannot be resolved while you are offline. If you have a similar issue in the future, please submit a new help request from the character experiencing the issue and we will be happy to assist you. - +Doe+

Doh indeed. I received notification (The exclamation mark, upper left corner), and it may be possible the CS rep didn't have the ability to contact me while I was on another character but if the notification was designed to immediately provide a status change in my trouble ticket while I'm online, I suspect "due diligence didn't". It's fine, I deleted a toon I wasn't using, built an alt and verified that Grace in Battle/ Knowledge of Battle populated correctly post patch for me.

Apparently, Favored Souls made prior to the update didn't get the option to take either of those feats. (Or at least mine didn't)

Addicted to the game and will continue to play, but I think customer service would do well to actually attempt to contact the player in follow-up and arrange a time to log into the character with issues rather than play Trouble Ticket Tag. It's more service oriented, makes more sense and generates far less cynicism as to what CS stands for.

V/r

blerkington
04-18-2018, 01:57 PM
Well, every disgruntled CS person knows the 'best' way to handle tickets is wait until the customer logs and then close them.

I hope the CS people SSG are using aren't being evaluated solely by tickets closed per day. Customer satisfaction with the outcome should be a factor too.

Thanks.

airbornerangers
04-18-2018, 01:59 PM
if on argo, look up thtasselhoff, wiil resupply with ings,
there is NO cs in this game, take what you will of that statement, but it is the truth for me and most of argo,

Riddle_of_Steel
04-18-2018, 03:28 PM
if on argo, look up thtasselhoff, wiil resupply with ings,
there is NO cs in this game, take what you will of that statement, but it is the truth for me and most of argo,Reluctantly Agreed, what passes for CS in game is generally "we waiting you out and won, your ticket is closed". At any rate, if you are on Thelanis, shoot me a PM and I can likely get you resupplied.

HAL
04-18-2018, 08:19 PM
Reluctantly Agreed, what passes for CS in game is generally "we waiting you out and won, your ticket is closed". At any rate, if you are on Thelanis, shoot me a PM and I can likely get you resupplied.

You really have to wonder if SSG is checking the CSR logs. If they are hours behind on tickets, they could simply be closing EVERY SINGLE in-game ticket since almost everyone will have logged off after many hours...

SiliconScout
04-19-2018, 02:12 AM
You really have to wonder if SSG is checking the CSR logs. If they are hours behind on tickets, they could simply be closing EVERY SINGLE in-game ticket since almost everyone will have logged off after many hours...

A. I don't think they are checking the logs at all, I mean AT ALL
B. They aren't closing every ticket as I occasionally do get a reply of some sort though lately I would say I am down to about 25% response with an average time of about 2 hours.

I am sure A is true because B IS true for sure and they aren't doing anything at all about it. DDO is the red headed ugly duckling in their world and I honestly believe that the GM's help us when there isn't an LORTO ticket open. When they see us offline I expect the quickly pop over and close the ticket just to clear out the queue. It would very much match my experience in the last 3 years or so.

HAL
04-19-2018, 07:33 AM
B. They aren't closing every ticket as I occasionally do get a reply of some sort though lately I would say I am down to about 25% response with an average time of about 2 hours.

I can't remember the last time I made an in-game ticket. I go out of my way to avoid doing so because I know that it likely will be closed with zero attempt to help.

IMO it seems that there are 2 different ticket systems:

1 = in-game which means GMs get the ticket. If you are not online the GM has zero recourse to help you and has instructions to close your ticket rather than leave it open for some reason.

2 = website ticket which means CSRs get the ticket. If they answer your email and you don't reply in X amount of time they don't auto-close your ticket. You could ignore their reply for days and then reply and still get help.

I have suggested in the past that in-game tickets should generate the same type of tickets as the website ticket system. You should get the same automatic email reply and if you have to log off your ticket should remain.

When your ticket is first in line, a GM can examine the ticket to see if it MUST be handled while you are online. If it does (stuck in quest, etc.), handle it. GMs should only close the ticket if they can see that the issue is temporary and is past. I.e. you had trouble in a quest but that character is no longer in that quest. The goal should not be closing tickets, the goal should be helping customers.

The key is what to do with tickets if the player is not online. In that case if the ticket doesn't REQUIRE you to be online, maybe transfer it to the other Help system. Does missing items require you to be online? I don't think so. I think they could check your account without you having to be logged in. I think the problem is that the two ticket systems are separate and the GMs ONLY handle THEIR tickets if you are online.

I have made a website help ticket where they decided I had to be online and actually made an appointment with me to be online. Why can't the GMs do that? Because their ticket system doesn't have a means of contacting you. In-game help tickets should be on the same type of system as the website tickets.

TitusOvid
04-19-2018, 10:28 AM
There are a lot of possibilties for CS to improve their services. Either they are not willing or are not able to perform such changes. Doesn't matter what reason, it doesn't help their reputation or the game.
CS is one of the most important departments in a company due to direct influence on customer satisfaction. If management doesn't see that and act appropriatly, it is a lost cause and one step further in a downright spiral.
CS in DDO never had a good reputation/feedback imo and I play since early 2010. It is a sign of negligence.
Only thing you can do is in the end, don't expect anything or expect the worst you may get a positive surprise. Not likely but ... hope never dies, right?

Good luck on your endeavour OP.

zehnvhex
04-19-2018, 11:01 AM
There are a lot of possibilties for CS to improve their services. Either they are not willing or are not able to perform such changes. Doesn't matter what reason, it doesn't help their reputation or the game.

To give you an idea of how it works currently:

DDO has a back end for CS to work with. We know from developer offhand comments that working with DDO remotely is a chore at best.

What this back end is capable of we're not sure but we also know that if your character is not currently logged in, there's a lot less it can do. This should give you an idea of how poorly implemented it is.

Previously they had a largely in house CS team that was part of CS as a whole for Turbine and probably WB. When they switched to SSG they lost all that so they had to out-source. The company they outsource to does CS for a large number of games that all are too big to not have CS handled by 'the one guy' but too small to afford their own CS.

This out-sourced CS will have a set of metrics they have to abide by in order to hit their numbers and not get fired. Customer Satisfaction with ticket resolution is usually pretty low on those metrics. Ticket turnover rate is usually the most important metric for them since SSG will get billed based on the number of completed tickets, regardless of if the situation is resolved or not.

There's an on-site CS team (Alkaid and probably an unpaid intern or two mostly I imagine) who handles anything the web team can't. However, the system is set up such that you have to log a ticket specifically for the on site team since the normal CS team can't turn them over. However, if you try to log a ticket with them directly (trying to bypass the web team) they'll juts tell you to try the web team first.

So the issue is two part.

The bigger issue is the DDO back end for CS sucks. Account issues they can usually clear up but if it involves interaction with your character at all (restorations etc...) then you're out of luck. This isn't the CS persons issue, it's SSG (or rather Codemasters I imagine who programmed the original CS interface that probably has never been updated) fault.

The second of course is that there is no communication between the web team and the on site team. It would be nice if they could just pass along that an issue was unresolved and the on site team picks it up, but the web team has no incentive to do this because then it's an unresolved/escalated issue and they don't get paid for that. So even if they could, they wouldn't want to.

So yeah...if you've ever wondered why Comcast technical support sucks so bad it's because they use the exact same system.

Grace_ana
04-19-2018, 11:15 AM
We have had luck at least getting hold of someone on Saturday night raid night, because we have had raids bug out twice on us. The first time we got a response within 10 min and it was fixed. The second time we waited for about 30 min (the raid bugged twice in a row in the same place, so we weren't about to try and restart again) and we got an unwanted completion with no chests. Both times it was +Crane.

Other times it has ranged wildly. I have waited 5-6 hours at a stretch and gotten no response, and then the ticket is closed (I suspect it is automatically closed as soon as you log out on that toon, producing the auto-response that we have seen). However, once I do connect, they are *usually* helpful.

It's not a satisfactory system, and there's no advice I can give to the OP that hasn't been given already. But if any devs stop by the thread, I would recommend making a new in-game system that would better prioritize help tickets. The player would mark off something like "need help immediately" with the next drop down something like "stuck in quest." Other things that are bad but aren't immediately impacting gameplay would give players an option to make an appointment for online help. The player could choose from hours on an availability list. That way, they player isn't waiting forever, and the GM can connect with them.

Realistically, it's not fair to expect players to wait online for hours on end. We have RL lives too, and schedules of our own to keep. I also understand that some things cannot be fixed behind the scenes when players are not available. An appointment system would help alleviate that, and things that need to be immediate (like when we are stuck in a quest) can be addressed faster without sorting through all the other noise.

TitusOvid
04-19-2018, 12:31 PM
To give you an idea of how it works currently:

DDO has a back end for CS to work with. We know from developer offhand comments that working with DDO remotely is a chore at best.

What this back end is capable of we're not sure but we also know that if your character is not currently logged in, there's a lot less it can do. This should give you an idea of how poorly implemented it is.

Previously they had a largely in house CS team that was part of CS as a whole for Turbine and probably WB. When they switched to SSG they lost all that so they had to out-source. The company they outsource to does CS for a large number of games that all are too big to not have CS handled by 'the one guy' but too small to afford their own CS.

This out-sourced CS will have a set of metrics they have to abide by in order to hit their numbers and not get fired. Customer Satisfaction with ticket resolution is usually pretty low on those metrics. Ticket turnover rate is usually the most important metric for them since SSG will get billed based on the number of completed tickets, regardless of if the situation is resolved or not.

There's an on-site CS team (Alkaid and probably an unpaid intern or two mostly I imagine) who handles anything the web team can't. However, the system is set up such that you have to log a ticket specifically for the on site team since the normal CS team can't turn them over. However, if you try to log a ticket with them directly (trying to bypass the web team) they'll juts tell you to try the web team first.

So the issue is two part.

The bigger issue is the DDO back end for CS sucks. Account issues they can usually clear up but if it involves interaction with your character at all (restorations etc...) then you're out of luck. This isn't the CS persons issue, it's SSG (or rather Codemasters I imagine who programmed the original CS interface that probably has never been updated) fault.

The second of course is that there is no communication between the web team and the on site team. It would be nice if they could just pass along that an issue was unresolved and the on site team picks it up, but the web team has no incentive to do this because then it's an unresolved/escalated issue and they don't get paid for that. So even if they could, they wouldn't want to.

So yeah...if you've ever wondered why Comcast technical support sucks so bad it's because they use the exact same system.

So maybe changes would be complicated or hard or non-profitable for a time but they are possible if you want to. And I am sure that the profit in the end justifies the hurdles they have to overcome.

That said, I just had a GM contact me and he is trying to solve a problem for me. And he seems to be creative in problem solving. It was my 2nd ticket concerning that problem. The 1st was closed because I was offline. let's see what happens.

Dulcimerist
04-19-2018, 03:59 PM
I haven't done an in-game CS request for many, many years. Those were for a couple of quests that bugged at the end, and the Turbine GM was unable to help us on either occasion.

I only submit CS tickets through the website now, and have had mixed responses. At the beginning of the year, I had an excellent experience in resolving my inability to purchase an item from the DDO store on characters which were eligible to purchase but couldn't see them. The CS rep asked me if it would be okay for him to manually place the item in my inventory and manually deduct the DDO points in order to make the purchase. I agreed and thanked him, and it was resolved really well. That CS rep's name was Morty, and I'm super impressed by him! I'm unsure if he still works at SSG, though.

Another ticket was when I encountered a bug where I couldn't install an augment, but I found a workaround and updated my ticket before CS responded. They responded soon thereafter, thanked me for the information, and forwarded that to the development team.

I, too, experienced items which went missing; and I'm awaiting a response. I was able to attach some documentation to the ticket, by submitting it through the website. I guess I can post to this thread what my experience is in resolving that.

I hope that the OP and any others who lost items will be able to recover them, and applaud the community members who have stepped up to replace the OP's mats. (I've never run shroud, unfortunately; so I have none of those mats.)

HAL
04-19-2018, 04:04 PM
I, too, experienced items which went missing; and I'm awaiting a response. I was able to attach some documentation to the ticket, by submitting it through the website. I guess I can post to this thread what my experience is in resolving that.

I hope that the OP and any others who lost items will be able to recover them, and applaud the community members who have stepped up to replace the OP's mats. (I've never run shroud, unfortunately; so I have none of those mats.)

The OP lost GS crafting mats. You also seem to have lost items recently. Do we have any idea why items are going missing or is this just random stuff going missing which has been happening for quite some time and often reappears in the mail?

Dulcimerist
05-18-2018, 12:10 AM
I'm hoping that the OP has at least received some help and support from the player community in replacing his mats. I'd be interested to hear if he ended up submitting a ticket through the email system, since the response time of the in-game ticket system is too slow to be of practical use.

I promised to post my customer service experience with my missing items in this thread, so here it goes:
Although it did take about four weeks to receive a response, I'm happy to report that Morty still works for SSG. (Perhaps he has been on vacation, which is why one of the devs had answered a ticket for a separate issue back in March.) Morty is very professional, helpful, and polite; and is one of the best things SSG has going for them. Although he couldn't replace the named loot item I lost, he was able to replace the expensive DDO Store items that had disappeared. I had attached copies of the purchase confirmation emails to my ticket submitted through here:
https://help.standingstonegames.com/
Yes, I would've really liked to have had these items back sooner, but I'm simply happy to have them back now. I'd still consider this to be a really good customer service experience.

J-2
06-07-2018, 11:52 AM
As im now going on hour 10 waiting for a ticket response from customer service, i am quite bored, and may use this time to start trashing them in every thread possible.

Is that wrong? It certainly doesn't feel wrong right now.

SiliconScout
06-07-2018, 11:40 PM
I believe that it's no coincidence that SSG Customer Service is an anagram for CS retrocessive smug.

They have been steadily moving backwards and seem quite proud of / happy for it to be so.

Another anagram could be CS's customers grieve and once again, I do not believe that to be at all in any way a coincidence.

Chai
06-08-2018, 09:07 AM
The single largest issue I have seen is the closing of tickets without giving the customer any time to reply back. As this has happened over a significant period of time (~6 years or so) it is typically an indication that either management is not involved enough to catch it, or it is allowed by management.

Dulcimerist
06-08-2018, 11:16 AM
The single largest issue I have seen is the closing of tickets without giving the customer any time to reply back. As this has happened over a significant period of time (~6 years or so) it is typically an indication that either management is not involved enough to catch it, or it is allowed by management.

If customer service had tickets remaining open in order for customers to reply back, management might think they're not doing their job; so customer service prefers to close the tickets as soon as possible?