PDA

View Full Version : New Store Item - Siberys Spirit Cake with Dimension Door

Dulcimerist
04-04-2018, 11:32 AM
Would it be possible to create a new type of Siberys Spirit Cake, which also has the effect of a Dimension Door to automatically send the revived player to the quest entrance? (It wouldn't open up an actual door like the spell, but would simply teleport the player and revive at the quest entrance.)

Fairly often, a player will die and their soulstone is in a place where it's impossible to move to a safe location to use a Siberys Spirit Cake, whether it be due to a large group of mobs, a bunch of active traps, or being in the middle of a lava lake. Reviving with a cake in these situations would result in instantly dying again, and buying a cake from the DDO Store would be worthless. Having a cake that would send the player to a safe location (like the quest entrance) right before reviving the player would be worth buying from the DDO Store in these cases, if it avoids failing the quest.

FestusHood
04-04-2018, 02:09 PM
Or just a ddoor clicky, like the wand of teleport. Maybe some kind of new craftable in crystal cove or something, single use potions of ddoor, or a permanent one with a very long cooldown.

Dulcimerist
04-04-2018, 02:16 PM
Or just a ddoor clicky, like the wand of teleport. Maybe some kind of new craftable in crystal cove or something, single use potions of ddoor, or a permanent one with a very long cooldown.

A D-door clickie would be sweet as well. As far as being dead in a bad location and needing a cake goes, the player would be dead again before being able to use the clickie. That's why a special type of cake that would teleport and then bring the character back to life would be very useful. I bet SSG would sell a fair amount of a special cake like that.

AlcoArgo
04-04-2018, 02:31 PM
Nope and Nope with a helping of Nope added in. DDoor scrolls were removed from the store way back in year 2 or so of DDO because they were OP, much like firewall scrolls and FoM scrolls. Casters were having all of their spells and abilities copied and used by melee.

Now fast forward 10 years... things have changed, yet firewall, FoM and DDoor are still rare scrolls, Yes there has been some creep - FoM comes as an endless potion now and DDoor can be an ability (mark of passage) that requires some investment or you can buy a DDoor clicky in the form of Mikayl the Pious (lvl 11 Ftr). Firewall is still nice but not as OP as it used to be.

As for dying with too many mobs around? Well,too bad. If you don't like it then don't die. Death should have consequences. With raise and rez scrolls so commonplace and cleric hirelings with the spells death is often not a big deal even when soloing but sometimes you die and just have to suck it up and start over.

Sometimes you fail the quest. Learn and get better.

Please no more Easy Buttons. There are enough already.

Enoach
04-04-2018, 04:11 PM
D-door is a powerful spell but there are dangers in having such an option

1. Quests with lock-out points would not be able to be completed
2. There are still situations where the use of D-door has the possibility of "bugging" or making is so a quest cannot be completed

An example to think about is a Quest like offering of blood. Even though it is up to the players to raise bridges these could prevent a completion if the raise is on the wrong side.

---
I know the OP mentions not being able to find a "safe" spot to raise, but I struggle to think of a quest where you are not able to find someplace "relatively safe/out of sight" that is outside the 10 second rubberband from stone. I would be curious to hear such an example.

Dulcimerist
04-04-2018, 04:25 PM
D-door is a powerful spell but there are dangers in having such an option

1. Quests with lock-out points would not be able to be completed
2. There are still situations where the use of D-door has the possibility of "bugging" or making is so a quest cannot be completed

An example to think about is a Quest like offering of blood. Even though it is up to the players to raise bridges these could prevent a completion if the raise is on the wrong side.

---
I know the OP mentions not being able to find a "safe" spot to raise, but I struggle to think of a quest where you are not able to find someplace "relatively safe/out of sight" that is outside the 10 second rubberband from stone. I would be curious to hear such an example.

Haywire in the VoN chain is another where you wouldn't want to go back to the entrance, due to lockout.

Falling into a lava pit that has no way out or a vary far swim would be one example. Madstone Crater has a spot, for example; but if someone manages to fall into that lava pit, they probably deserve to not have a way out. ;) Dying out in the open with reapers hanging around might be another example.

I agree with the points made in the previous posts. If this item were to be made, it would be geared toward solo questers, and would generate a little bit of revenue for SSG. I prefer party questing and enjoy the teamwork, so I personally would probably not benefit from an item like this. Others might, though.

Sunnie
04-04-2018, 06:41 PM
Falling into a lava pit that has no way out or a vary far swim would be one example. Madstone Crater has a spot, for example; but if someone manages to fall into that lava pit, they probably deserve to not have a way out.
I've seen that happen once. I think another player jumped down and managed to cast a quickened ddoor to get the both of them out of there.

PsychoBlonde
04-04-2018, 10:03 PM
As long as it costs 500+ ddo points.