PDA

View Full Version : U38 Preview 2: Disciples of Rage Adventure Pack

Cocomajobo
03-27-2018, 03:14 PM
U38 comes with 5 new dungeons! Bear in mind, in this preview they are in varying states of feature completion and polish. The regular questgivers will be located in House Jorasco once U38 is released to the live servers, however, for this preview the only way to access the quests is from a "The Questgiver" located in the center of the Test Dojo. You can purchase the adventure pack from the DDO store using DDO points granted to you by "Lord Poincelot" who is also located in the center of the Test Dojo.

The five U38 dungeons are level 14 in Heroic and Level 31 in Legendary. For this preview the quests can be completed in any order, however, when they reach live you will need to complete the intro to Flag for the middle three and you will need to complete all of the middle three (in any order) to flag for the Capstone. The quests are:

Night Falls on Stormreach Intro
Quarantine
The Madness of Crowds
The Age of Rage
Toxic Treatment Capstone

Let us know what your first impressions are!

UurlockYgmeov
03-27-2018, 04:47 PM
which one has Kookies?

Cocomajobo
03-27-2018, 04:48 PM
which one has Kookies?

That would be The Age of Rage. =]

UurlockYgmeov
03-27-2018, 04:56 PM
That would be The Age of Rage. =]

Hmm... ragecookies?

http://49.media.tumblr.com/e93b3eee9528b6c026b81d478f80214a/tumblr_o4d9xed1OJ1s2wio8o1_1280.gifhttps://im-01.gifer.com/QaoX.gif
https://media.giphy.com/media/oAqwJCDb4iT8A/giphy.gif

https://78.media.tumblr.com/3b5e188dffc959362864e5c8dcc9d906/tumblr_oyv1sbuAcf1wzvt9qo1_500.gif

Andu_Indorin
03-27-2018, 05:02 PM
Hmm... ragecookies?

Hmmm ... Overkill ???

UurlockYgmeov
03-27-2018, 06:13 PM
Hmmm ... Overkill ???

do Kobold's know any other way? :P

LrdSlvrhnd
03-27-2018, 07:46 PM
ragecookies... would that be taking a big ol' bite out of a chocolate chip cookie... and getting a mouthful of oatmeal raisin?

PsychoBlonde
03-27-2018, 08:19 PM
Ran the quest chain:

Did you guys INTEND to re-activate the runearm charging sound? It's quite loud and obnoxious AND it now sometimes DOESN'T GO AWAY when you unequip your weapons.

Numerous grammatical errors in the masses of text present in these quests.

In Night Falls on Stormreach, after you defeat the rioters in the plaza, the DM says "the way to the west is now open" and the door on the EAST side of the plaza opened.

This quest chain feels like a prelude to a much bigger and cooler Xoriat chain. Either that, or the heroic version is supposed to be a prelude to one of the existing Xoriat chains, but this really doesn't make any sense given that two of them don't have an epic version and the legendary version of this is higher level than all of the other Xoriat chains.

Really nothing in there that made me say "oh, hey, that's cool".

It kind of needs some kind of "you are enraged" atmospheric, the way Xoriat quests have the whole madness thing, and Missing has the creepy grayscale thing.

UurlockYgmeov
03-27-2018, 09:37 PM

Did you guys INTEND to re-activate the runearm charging sound? It's quite loud and obnoxious AND it now sometimes DOESN'T GO AWAY when you unequip your weapons.

This quest chain feels like a prelude to a much bigger and cooler Xoriat chain. Either that, or the heroic version is supposed to be a prelude to one of the existing Xoriat chains, but this really doesn't make any sense given that two of them don't have an epic version and the legendary version of this is higher level than all of the other Xoriat chains.

yes - but I thought they added an option to 'not hear it'.

much bigger xoriat chain! yes... like that one quest out in House P... only added to the chain and epicfied. Oh the lament of the spouses for all the dead PC's!

Did you try eating the ragecookie? ;p

zehnvhex
03-28-2018, 12:03 AM
All quests completed at a level 14 on reaper and/or elite.

The new DOJO layout

DEAR GOD STOP THE PULSING BIGBY'S HANDS. SEIZURE TIME BOYS.

Night Falls on Stormreach

Compared to the intro to Ravenloft (Death House) this falls extremely flat. It started out okay with the optional Sharn Syndicate on the rooftops. However, within seconds I felt myself saying, "Hey it's been 10 feet since the last encounter of 5~6 melee mobs, 2 casters and 1~2 ranged...I wonder if...oh hey yup. Hey it's been 10 feet since the last encounter of 5~6 melee mobs..."

I'm guessing DM voices aren't hooked up yet?

Lay off the copy/paste tool for mob encounters. The tavern itself is decent but the rest of the zone is just blah. Speaking of which, why don't NPC's talk anymore? Go run the intro to VoN3 and notice how all the rank and file trolls are cursing you and are like, "Blargh I'll get you!" Can we start doing that again?

The dungeon isn't difficult, the layout is okay. It felt more tedious than anything. There was no sense of urgency really. It was all very ho-hum. The highlight of the zone was finding Fred. Collectible placement was decent. Sidequests were what you'd expect. I appreciated that the maddened crowd didn't add to dungeon alert so you can just run past them if you want.

I suspect that there's supposed to be an optional to not kill/agro any citizens because there's a 'sneaky path' you can take but there's really no point to it currently?

The XP is really low but that's to be expected in this day and age.

Recommendations: Fewer Sharn Syndicate packs just for the sake of having Sharn Syndicate packs. Make the stealing/darkening of the beacon more dramatic. The text blurb was super fast too it seemed. It feelss like whatever magic you guys had when making Ravenloft is gone. You need to not lose that spark.

QA: Nothing stood at as being a glaring issue. The townspeople before triggering the rage event can spawn reapers but I imagine there's nothing you can do about that with your current reaper tech. As mentioned one of the on screen text blurbs seems to go really fast. I wasn't able to read it the first time. Not sure if it sync'd up with audio or not. I'm not sure if intended or not but the DC on the secret door in the nights market is really high.

Quarantine

When you say you deployed a mist I expected, y'know...a mist. Other than that little faux pax I was pleased with this quest untilafter you kill the first mini-boss. Then it goes from "This is cool...the seedy underbelly of Stomreach slums!" with quality mob placement and encounters to "We learned absolutely nothing from the criticisms of Baba's hut. Here, do the same thing twice. Also, back to copy/paste encounters! YAY!"

Difficulty was about what I'd expect. The layout was kinda fun for a small dungeon. I didn't really see many/any collectibles in this one. The optionals are fine.

Recommendations: Add a 'kill' counter to clearing the central area. Only have us do it once, that second time is unnecessary padding. Absolutely nobody likes it when you do that kind of thing. If you want to add a second encounter to that area, at least mix it up a bit. Don't ruin what is a neat little 'slums of stormreach' relief aid romp. A neat add would be a timer of like....10 minutes for a bonus optional end chest. Get to the guy before they make off with most of the supplies kinda thing.

QA: Nothing really jumped out at me.

The Madness of Crowds

I was worried for a second that there would be a bunch of copy/paste mob packs. Unfortunately I was right. 3 Warriors, 2 scouts and 1~2 scorpions. Sound familiar?

However, apparently Drow can talk! "That one! Kill it with Fire!" "YOUR CURSE ENDS HERE!" Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! Whoever remembered NPC's can talk deserves a big hug. Brawnpits is great fun as well and very well written.

Visually this zone is great. I spent far more time trying to jump off the waterfall then I care to admit. There are no collectibles near as I could tell in the zone.

Considering how absurdly fast you can complete this quest I can see why the XP is so low but...it's insultingly low. I can beat Ghosts of Perdition in about the same amount of time and that one is worth 4x the xp this one is worth.

Recommendations: Again, stop it with the cloning of mob packs. There's a grand total of 3 encounters in the zone that feel natural/organic and everything else feels like somebody opened up the quest layout and put a pack of the same 7 mobs every 20 feet.

QA: At "r1 lx1041 ly78 i15 ox36.47 oy132.50 oz312.76 h333.3Q:0x7002FF38" there's a tree with really weird invisible walls/pathing around it. Treasure bags don't seem to be hooked up when dropped by NPC's.

The Age of Rage

Finally a dungeon where the fights don't feel all copy/pasted. Most of the fights feel natural/fitting to the location they are in and not just a "It's been 10 feet, put another 3 warriors, 2 ranged, 1 caster and animal companion here." We're back to silent NPC's again though. Apparently only Drow can talk.

The sleeping quarters area I'm guessing is unfinished? It's not on the map, the rooms are just giant empty nothing with a handful of mobs in them?

I enjoyed the smashy smashy room. This is the quality content I come to DDO for. I want an entire raid that is just smashing boxes.

The XP again was insultingly low. There are level 5 quests which are quicker and give more XP. The difficulty here was a little higher than previous quests. Tons of CC/magic spam. If not paying attention on the final fight it's easy to get quickly overwhelmed.

I'm guessing collectibles are not hooked up in this quest as I found plenty of bookcases I expected I would be able to click on but there wasn't anything there.

Recommendations: Finish the sleeping quarter area or cut it. Otherwise I felt this was a great quest visually and otherwise. I enjoyed reading the book at the end. "Nope."

QA: First potential clue has /n/n typo. The second to last clue has a grammatical error. It should read "is integral to the return of the mad lord" The Book of Rage last page uses double quotes in a really weird place.

Toxic Treatment

If this was what Newcomers had looked like I would probably have been more kind to that quest. Visually i'm in love with this quest. It does, however, feel incredibly unfinished. The caves are all but vacant. There's, near as I can tell, not a single chest in the entire dungeon, the camp feels like it should have a 4th quest NPC that offers some sort of side quest.

I do like that the layout of the quest gives an advantage to a group in that you can split up to finish the three trials quicker. However, when giving out an XP reward you should never bank on people having that option. As such, given the difficulty of the final fight, the obnoxiousness of the cave section and all the back/forthing, the XP reward for this is atrocious.

There were like, 2 or 3 collectibles in the quest. Not good but not bad.

The encounters, what few there were that is, were on point. I could see them needlessly mucking this up though.

Recommendations: For the warriors trial I would recommend making it a kill 5 with an optional to kill 15 and have more umber hulks. Finding 5 was obnoxious and made the cave feel empty but having more with no incentive would just be bloat. I would add a 'quick return' to the village at the end of each path as well.

QA: When talking to the hunter's trial elder if you go down the conversation path for more info, you have to exit the convo and then talk with him again and pick the other conversation path to actually start the trial.

Final Thoughts:

I have a feeling this pack is going to end up in the "fire and forget" dust bin alongside MOT. It has the same absolute garbage xp values. The only thing it really does better than MOT is the mob HP values aren't nearly as bloated. The quests are really quick in a group though so I can see them being semi-popular among the 'Let's hit every quest in the game for easy R3 xp' for static groups. For solo play these are a definite pass.

After week 1 when everyone has the one or two items they want from this quest I don't see any LFM's ever forming for it ever again though. As quick as they are, they still aren't worth the xp. Even on R1 with a 50% xp pot going I barely got 2 bubbles of xp running the 5 quests at level 14. By contrast any one wing of GH is going to give me that and change.

Lore-wise it was neat. It of course felt very unfinished and I imagine it's a precursor to more in the storyline. I look forward to chasing after the Sharn syndicate to get the beacon back.

I didn't experience it but I've seen a lot of people complaining about the litany of CC that gets flooded everywhere. My guess is that it's a level 30 issue since on level 14 the only CC I got hit with was dominate by the very last boss in the chain.

Overall I'd say remove some of the copy/paste mob packs, triple the base XP values for the quests so they are on par with other level 14 quests, fix the lack of collectibles in some of the quests, finish up the stuff that feels unpolished (Terrace event being bland for the significant it has, sleeping quarters being just a bunch of square rooms, etc...) and this would be a solid addition to the game.

Fenix93
03-28-2018, 06:52 AM
I really like the easter egg before umber Hulks' room in the wing of the Vulkron trials, a symbol of SSG engraved in the wall but well hidden but you can still notice it.

Loromir
03-28-2018, 07:18 AM
Night Falls on Stormreach

Compared to the intro to Ravenloft (Death House) this falls extremely flat.

Actually....Death House is not the intro quest for Ravenloft. Into the Mist is the intro quest. Death House is a great quest IMO...so it would be hard to compare a lot of quests to that. Compare Night Falls to Into the Mist and see where it falls.

zehnvhex
03-28-2018, 08:34 AM
Actually....Death House is not the intro quest for Ravenloft. Into the Mist is the intro quest. Death House is a great quest IMO...so it would be hard to compare a lot of quests to that. Compare Night Falls to Into the Mist and see where it falls.

lol no.

zehnvhex
03-28-2018, 08:37 AM
I really like the easter egg before umber Hulks' room in the wing of the Vulkron trials, a symbol of SSG engraved in the wall but well hidden but you can still notice it.

I enjoyed the callbacks/easter eggs. The 'humor' in this pack is a stark contrast the grim/grittiness that was Ravenloft and I like it. Brawnpits writing is fun. Running into Haverdasher and him talking about the accommodations, the Giant in the night market pulling a "Uh...we were here first buddy", reading the book and going "Oh god nope. Nope nope nope." etc...all great.

I think one thing that was particularly brilliant was at the start of the third quest and your character goes, "These giants are smelly and disgusting and dear god why don't they bathe?" and I'm like...that's really not something that...ooooooooooh. I get it. I'm starting to be affected by the...yeaaah. Cool!

mikarddo
03-28-2018, 09:29 AM
I think making these quests level 14 is a major mistake. Level 13, 14 and 16 are all full of quests that are run regularly for good xp while level 15 has fewer "must run" quests on my list atleast.

Further, moving the quests and named items from 14 to 15 would mean that the gear aligns better with Cannith Crafted gear as abilities and many other effects go up at level 15 (ie, con is +7 at ML 13 and ML 14 but +8 at ML 15, ML 16 and ML 17). This would make it much more likely that people would actually want and use the gear as they could plan a level 15 gear set around some of these named items rather than look at the level 14 item and note that it would be replaced by a crafted item with better stats at level 15 and not bother.

So, please consider changing the level to 15 (and make the xp reasonable - Mines if T is _not_) if you want us to actually run these quests more than a few times.

Arkat
03-28-2018, 11:51 AM
Does SSG not have an editor or proofreader on staff?

Seriously, the poor grammar/spelling and the outright inaccuracies of some of the dialog and information is downright distracting.

multipro
03-28-2018, 12:28 PM
After running this entire chain I was really disappointed that you guys are going for another madness type chain. I was hoping for something based off maybe lords of dust or something in that realm based off the name of the pack. As I ran through it all I could say was, "that encounter was slow and boring." When I got to the next encounter is what the exact same amount of mobs and even the same mob types. I also couldn't help but noticing that these quests are cuts of other quests pasted together with rather lazy transitions. Every time I entered a quest I could tell I was in another quest just starting in another section of it or perhaps even the same section.

I HATE all of the madness monsters because of the non-savable damage and weird CC effects that can't be blocked without super high saves. On R1 I couldn't do the endfight to the last 2 quests solo because the chaos beholders perma CC'd me and once I had death pens it just got worse. Granted I was running a tempest ranger with evasion and decent saves but I still struggled through these. It was interesting to see a new madness monster even though its damage was also weird and annoying. I noticed DM voices weren't working but that is not a big thing for me. I think that we have plenty of madness chains but I can see how this kind of fits into a story arc, and I say that loosely. Also please buff the XP. If these give this much XP on live there is no reason to run them once you have what you want from them.

For a second I want to talk about the capstone quest Toxic Treatment. What is the point in all this open area???? I spent 50 minutes on my first run through just second guessing myself and trying to find packs of mobs that didn't exist. Again you ripped sections from other quests and stuck them on here. The beginning was the same as To Curse the Sky, followed by a bit of Search and Rescue caves. Then you get into the open city area and it looked beautiful, but I was quickly reminded of the old content with the RSO puzzles leading into a Monastery puzzle in one trial, a forest with ONE count it ONE monster, a red named panther, in the second trial, and the third trial had only EIGHT mobs, 3 scorpions and 5 Umber Hulks. I did find the secret unlockable button that lead to an underground where I presume a chest will be added. Then after the third trial the endfight. The aqueduct looked really cool and then you enter the "temple?" and the endfight was again a chaos beholder that spawned stuff when its HP got lower. I didn't notice this at first and I had an orange alert from just that room which made the endfight that much more annoying.

Overall I think the pack is solid but its clear that all of the gear is build for Druids and Arties to actually use the sorry excuses of updated abilities they got at endgame. I don't see anyone besides a tempest picking up the new weapons, outside of druid/arty. I think the pack needs some refinement which is fine for a first look and hopefully you give us another look at these before they go live so that we don't get another ravenloft situation where so much is broken and you have to do 8 patches just to fix things and even then stuff remains unfixed. If I had to give a rating out of 10 I would give this a 4/10. It has some depth and new stuff but its a lot of copy/cut/paste from other areas. I think once people get the gear they need from these no one will run them anymore. I do however understand that this is just a bridge to U39 which is bringing a classic pack so I hope that you knock it out of the park with that one.

On a super positive note I am glad that you are giving other people in the office a chance to make new content because we get to see what other people make and it allows the game to expand more and stay alive.

Hoglum
03-28-2018, 06:02 PM
U38 comes with 5 new dungeons!

Level 31

Are you ever going to make some epic dungeons? As best I can tell you've made lv 30+ dungeons for over 3 straight years (going on 4). Most everything 20 - 29 is regurgitated old stuff to begin with.

It would be nice to have something else for a change in the 20's.

Nonesuch2008
03-28-2018, 06:13 PM
Are you ever going to make some epic dungeons? As best I can tell you've made lv 30+ dungeons for over 3 straight years (going on 4). Most everything 20 - 29 is regurgitated old stuff to begin with.

Or drow-o-rama. I'd like to see some more stuff in this range as well, it's the main reason I avoid doing heroic versions of several chains, so I can save them for epic levels.

As for the new content, I spent some time figuring out how to get to Goldscuttle in the Night Market. Please tell me that he will activate & do something when all this goes live, right?

GramercyRiff
03-28-2018, 07:51 PM
This is pretty bad early news regarding these quests. I guess it's getting close to taking a break from the game.

The Druid and Artificer stuff doesn't thrill me. The loot is nothing special. The quests sound bad. I'll still hold out some hope for Druid.

The_Human_Cypher
03-28-2018, 08:04 PM
Does SSG not have an editor or proofreader on staff?

Seriously, the poor grammar/spelling and the outright inaccuracies of some of the dialog and information is downright distracting.

The lack of accurate dialogue text in quests is an ongoing issue.

I hereby volunteer to be an unpaid proof-reader for new DDO content. I am willing to sign an NDA and everything. I am a published author and have a strong grasp of the English language, so I would be a good candidate for this volunteer position.

zehnvhex
03-28-2018, 09:04 PM
I think part of it is with how quality most of the Ravenloft quests are (C3 is a little lackluster, but C1 and C2 are rock solid), this just feels like a return to the old form we had from SSG of last year. Newcomers, Black and Blue, the MoT chain.

I mean, the idea behind the quests is great if you enjoy the Xoriat storyline. The pacing is okay. But the dungeons themselves suffer from a significant lack of oomph.

Like you go and do Ravenloft and between Death House, Bonegrinder and Invitation it -really- sets the tone and you're like "Oh my...."

It isn't until the 3rd quest in this series that I actually start to feel at all invested. They should start Q1 with the Terrace event and really punch it up. I mean this should be a huge bigly bad thing and instead I didn't even realize anything had happened at first because at no point is your attention drawn to the beacon.

Vorachtin
03-28-2018, 09:14 PM
quests are great.

the one with all the giants, objectives could be clearer imo. not a bug just feedback.

and if only there was an armored beholder at the end of Rage ;)

Arkat
03-28-2018, 09:16 PM

I hereby volunteer to be an unpaid proof-reader for new DDO content. I am willing to sign an NDA and everything. I am a published author and have a strong grasp of the English language, so I would be a good candidate for this volunteer position.

I'd be willing to do it, too...but not unpaid.

Good luck to you, though.

vms4ever
03-29-2018, 05:33 AM
and if only there was an armored beholder at the end of Rage ;)

I agree. Rage was fun (soloing it on Elite), right up until destroying the book. Small room, barrier, armored beholder with (apparently) a huge amount of hp who seems to be addicted to CC? Not fun. And then I died and didn't try to re-enter. But it was a nice quest, linear but nice.

The_Human_Cypher
03-29-2018, 07:53 AM
U38 comes with 5 new dungeons! Bear in mind, in this preview they are in varying states of feature completion and polish. The regular questgivers will be located in House Jorasco once U38 is released to the live servers, however, for this preview the only way to access the quests is from a "The Questgiver" located in the center of the Test Dojo. You can purchase the adventure pack from the DDO store using DDO points granted to you by "Lord Poincelot" who is also located in the center of the Test Dojo.

The five U38 dungeons are level 14 in Heroic and Level 31 in Legendary. For this preview the quests can be completed in any order, however, when they reach live you will need to complete the intro to Flag for the middle three and you will need to complete all of the middle three (in any order) to flag for the Capstone. The quests are:

Quarantine
The Madness of Crowds
The Age of Rage
Toxic Treatment Capstone

Let us know what your first impressions are!

The Madness of Crowds quest title is a reference to an early work in the field of psychology, 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraordinary_Popular_Delusions_and_the_Madness_of _Crowds

Knockback
03-29-2018, 04:38 PM
The Madness of Crowds quest title is a reference to an early work in the field of psychology, 'Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds.'

It is - though it's also taken directly from Eberron lore. "The madness of crowds" is the literal translation of "Du’rashka Tul," the curse afflicting Xen'drik. That's from Secrets of Xen'drik, page 53. Apparently someone at WOTC was a Charles Mackay fan!

lyrecono
03-29-2018, 05:30 PM
1 archer next to the throne is stuck in the wall
Goldscuttle doesn't speak.
Some npc's repeat each others dialoge

Quarantine
lots of ledges got me stuck, on the squire near the npc llorowith, the invisible walls were the culprit.
at the end fight, the harbor looks terribly vague.

The Madness of Crowds
There is a text on the splash screen, however, i can't read it, it lasts only half a second.
the quest didn't advance the first time, though i did get a quest reward.
It didn't advance during the second time.
nor the third, the door doesn't open, with or without doing the optionals and exploring the map

The Age of Rage
The "potential clue" (a scroll on the table) is full of errors.
the "bedrooms" are empty, just a few mobs but no beds.

Toxic Treatment Capstone
no end chest?
every quest that had bear traps had them lying about in the open (all were visible a mile away)

So does this mean we're seeing xendrix content soon? Since the stormreach flame was taken to sharn.
Are we getting a new crafting system?

Are we going to see more lore specific Eberron culture specific references?
Sure, house J are into healing but what about (dino riding) halfling barbarians? (they are considered as such in the players handbook)
preferably with a barbarian overhaul.

Do something better with the bug reporting tool.

Aelonwy
03-29-2018, 06:40 PM
It's kind of sad reading the early reviews of the new ones to come in u38 and comparing them with the Vale quests. I really get the impression the Ravenloft quests were largely so good because they were more or less copied from existing PnP material and the spike in quality is just going to be a momentary aberration.

It sounds like u38 will be taking us back to the copypasta corridors 'n' clumps approach. I'd be very glad to be proved wrong about this return to business as usual but what I've heard so far doesn't sound good at all. Doing consistently good work in a creative field isn't easy, but the bar really needs to be raised some even if it's not reasonable to expect everything to be gold from now on.

Thanks.

This is a comment from General Discussions... the part that concerns me is :

It sounds like u38 will be taking us back to the copypast(e) corridors 'n' clumps approach.

Please say this isn't so?! Does this need to become a meme like Ghostbane in order to see a change in direction? ToEE is rife with it. Dragonblood Prophecy suffers from the copy-paste mob groups. Mines of Tethyamar has some issues with it too but doesn't feel nearly as repetitive as the hallways of Black and Blue. It breaks immersion and makes questing dull.

Player 1 - "Oh look its that same group of mobs we fought in the last room, so how do you want to fight them?"
Player 2 - "Same way we fought them 2 minutes ago."
Player 1 - "What do you think is in the next hallway?"
Player 2 - "Probably this same group of mobs..."

I never once felt this way playing Ravenloft even in Mad Tea Party or Fresh Baked Dreams where the mob types do get repetitive, it still feels like they have good reason to be there.

Andu_Indorin
03-29-2018, 08:54 PM
One quick suggestion. The Madness of Crowds is a rather large, open area that some players have had difficulty navigating (i.e., finding Brawn Pits). I'd suggest you add the purple diamond icons to each of the altars before release as an aid to navigating this map.

Andu_Indorin
03-29-2018, 09:11 PM
After Ravenloft, which obviously had much more work go into it, this is quite a let down. One thing that makes for a good adventure pack is a strong central narrative. Ravenloft had that in spades. I never quite picked up the narrative thread in this set of quests. Nor did I really get any sense of urgency from the atmosphere of the chain. Why are we doing this again? Two days after running the chain, I could not even remember the contents of the Age of Rage. "Cut, copy, and paste" is a pretty good way to describe this adventure pack.

In many ways, the Sorrowdusk adventure pack is a better product than this latest release.

It would be nice if we, the players, could get a sense of that Stormreach -- the events, history, politics -- was building to some sort of climactic confrontation, a destiny of some sort. That's one way to keep player interest up ...

Jetrule
03-29-2018, 10:15 PM
I ran all the quests on heroic elite with a first life lvl 15 character with gear from the dojo and a supreme tome. Some I ran on legendary 1 skull reaper with my main re-incarnated first as a melee wolf and then as a melee arti. The dojo needs to see the guild buff giver return by the way I missed my fast public movement and other guild buffs.

Night Falls on Stormreach:

This Quest left me feeling drawn in to the story line. There is obviously some quest giver dialogue missing, since we dont have quest givers yet. Still the feeling was strong in me that Xoriat was behind this new menace Though I suspected Yalthoon somewhere in the quests afterwards. I liked the opening lamp lighting and the chat with the giant the throne, the dismissive arrogant guard. Its like he was clueless to all my coin lord favor. LOL. The Terrace scene was dramatic and could be made more so with a great voice performance.

Quarantine:

I loved the ability to subdue the plague victims without killing them. There should be some quest xp tied to this. The stung faced Vulkorim High priest was disturbing with his dialogue. The hack and slash was pretty easy.

The Madness of Crowds:

A gorgeous area. Reminiscent of "A small Problem" for obvious reasons. The graphics are much improved over A Small Problem though, and the quest story and action are solid.

The Age of Rage:

This quest shifted the difficulty up several notches. I was running a experimental fire caster elemental druid level 15 on elite I had to get spell potions from the fake DDO store and I died three times any way. It is the same way I ran all the other quests with a total of two deaths. I pushed my way through the book with real trepidation. I wanted to destroy it but curiosity was stronger than fear, barely. Well done. Great difficult hack and slash. good map for tactics, This was the most fun i had in the quests,

Toxic Treatment:

The quest seemed the most empty but I liked that it wasn't a kill fest. I liked the intelligence trial having a shroud type puzzle not available in puzzle solvers. The Mushroom hunt left me searching and getting stuck for a long frustrating while for my last mushroom. That will be a first time experience for many I suspect. The end fight was satisfying. The quest series left me looking forwards to heading to Sharn. Well done overall Not Awsome like Ravenloft but well done. I like several pieces of loot. I was shocked by the low experience point awards.

Ahwaric
03-30-2018, 01:49 AM
Please say this isn't so?! Does this need to become a meme like Ghostbane in order to see a change in direction? ToEE is rife with it. Dragonblood Prophecy suffers from the copy-paste mob groups. Mines of Tethyamar has some issues with it too but doesn't feel nearly as repetitive as the hallways of Black and Blue. It breaks immersion and makes questing dull.
I did not run the quests (focused on druid changes instead), but this post caught my attention as well.
Please, do not copy and paste encounters!!! It is really boring and makes qests run less. And it feels lazy. If you do not have manhours to polish the quests and make encounters varied, just add less quests - but do it instead. It will be better for the pack and game as a whole. Even if it is too late now for U38, please, oh, please, remeber it next time.
For now, I still hope the encounters were placeholder and it will get fixed before release. And please, make it more like MoR, and less like Slavers/ToEE. I hate Slavers and it ruins my memories of ToEE.

HuneyMunster
03-30-2018, 05:05 AM

The problem with that is unless xp is great most people will still run the dailies/orchard/thunderholme outside of 1st time bonus. Also capped charracter need new content to have incentive to remain at cap.

The only way I can see it working is releasing Heroic, Epic and Legendary versions of new content.

AbyssalMage
03-30-2018, 07:09 AM
Yuck, hate Xoriat style packs. Others love them. Bleh.

Came to see what the excitement was about. Now I am not excited :(

Yesenia
03-30-2018, 09:29 AM

OH GOD PLEASE DON'T SAY THAT! Whispers: The endgame fanboys will come out with th..their pitchforks! They're Scary!! Seriously I agree with you but unfortunately some ppl are of the mindset that the 30+ quests of Legendary/Lvl 30 isn't enough to keep the capped crowd busy enough.. And while the rest of the game suffers all future upcoming packs, loot, etc should be catered to them, you know, because nobody TR's anymore to get more lives and bonuses under their belt.. That's crazy talk! How dare you ask for more content for the rest of the epic lvl's.. Shame on you! If I wasn't a Silver Flame fanatic i swear! hehe Seriously though I 100% agree with you and argu....debated my heart out on this issue in the other thread but as i say, ppl seem to not think there's enough endgame content :(

Jetrule
03-30-2018, 10:05 AM
This thread seems to be going off the rails with concern over too much max level content. I have already posted my review of the quests, as to the level... It was not all that long ago, I think when reaper was introduced or racial TR's that many people were upset about the lack of end game content and no reason to stay at cap. I think that 22 or 24 new legendary quests have arrived since then counting this pack and 2 or 3 raids. I for sure have done 2 epic lives since Ravenloft came out I ran a few of the old epified quests and once through MOTU But by and large I ran Ravenloft sagas all through epic levels. Just sentient food farming and filigree collecting provide motivation for that. The quality of the content and the availability of pugs and the nice saga reward provide out the rest of the incentive for me.

This quest pack needs its experience per quest increased or it will become nearly as un popular as Mines of Tellamar. The gear here is good and many builds will benefit from some of it. But for re playability and putting it into play for players seeking epic past lives the experience should approach something like we see in Devils Gambit. Put interesting new content forward as something rewarding to run on many levels, which will increase the lfm postings for it and the SSG profit. While you are at it boost Mines of Tellamar experience to something approaching Devils Gambit. O)n Cannith at any rate I regularly see Gambit quest LFM's, Mines LFM's have nearly disappeared despite better loot being available there. It doesn't have to turn into a Experience point bloat situation but a big cut to experience points is putting some fun, nice new content in the grave yard f forgotten quests. Dont let this new pack bee doomed to the graveyard.

A interesting option is a nice quest arc reward choice with a chance for a 100k EXP stone to appear and/or a guaranteed random rare filligree. Carrots are nice, sticks are not and the low xp in this quest arc is a big spiky stick. The loot and quality of the quests are carrots but those carrots loose value over time the stick never looses its disincentive value.

Marupal
03-30-2018, 01:00 PM
Only ran the one quest - Age of Rage. Enjoyed it.
It had a natural feel to it. Like others have said, things belonged there, it was a realistic DM'ed environment.
Layout was fun. Repeat friendly in the same way Lords of Dust is.

This is one of the few quests that should be able to activate the PVP flag. Randomly or quest driven, it doesn't matter.

Last, a huge missed opportunity in this quest: at key points around the quest there should have been oatmeal raisin cookies. Nothing symbolizes despair and rage like an oatmeal raisin cookie does. :)

Arkat
03-30-2018, 01:37 PM
Last, a huge missed opportunity in this quest: at key points around the quest there should have been oatmeal raisin cookies. Nothing symbolizes despair and rage like an oatmeal raisin cookie does. :)

This is DDO, not Disney!

Yesenia
03-30-2018, 03:09 PM
This is DDO, not Disney!

Could've fooled me, especially with the fact they are actually taking the request for bear dyes into serious consideration.. Just Sayin'

zehnvhex
03-30-2018, 04:24 PM
Please, do not copy and paste encounters!!!

Off the top of my head:

1st quest - About 80% copy/pasted fights.

2nd quest - First half of the dungeon is pretty unique. Second half is all copy/pasta.

3rd quest - There's the warlock, the uh...scorpion thing I guess and the final fight. Everything else is copy/paste.

4th quest - Pretty well designed, best of the bunch though there's an entire section of the dungeon that is pretty obviously unfinished (sleeping quarters). It's just 4 GIANT empty rooms with like 4~6 mobs standing on top of each other.

5th quest - There's like...8 mobs in the entire zone not including the last fight and even then the last fight is just a copy/pasted pack from Q2.

Marupal
03-30-2018, 04:29 PM
This is DDO, not Disney!

Not sure what the connection between disney and oatmeal raisin is, but was referring to this:

http://ddowiki.com/images/Oatmeal_Raisin_Kookie.jpg

A favorite kookie among certain kobolds.

Lokeal_The_Flame
03-31-2018, 12:12 AM
This thread seems to be going off the rails with concern over too much max level content. I have already posted my review of the quests, as to the level... It was not all that long ago, I think when reaper was introduced or racial TR's that many people were upset about the lack of end game content and no reason to stay at cap. I think that 22 or 24 new legendary quests have arrived since then counting this pack and 2 or 3 raids. I for sure have done 2 epic lives since Ravenloft came out I ran a few of the old epified quests and once through MOTU But by and large I ran Ravenloft sagas all through epic levels. Just sentient food farming and filigree collecting provide motivation for that. The quality of the content and the availability of pugs and the nice saga reward provide out the rest of the incentive for me.

This quest pack needs its experience per quest increased or it will become nearly as un popular as Mines of Tellamar. The gear here is good and many builds will benefit from some of it. But for re playability and putting it into play for players seeking epic past lives the experience should approach something like we see in Devils Gambit. Put interesting new content forward as something rewarding to run on many levels, which will increase the lfm postings for it and the SSG profit. While you are at it boost Mines of Tellamar experience to something approaching Devils Gambit. O)n Cannith at any rate I regularly see Gambit quest LFM's, Mines LFM's have nearly disappeared despite better loot being available there. It doesn't have to turn into a Experience point bloat situation but a big cut to experience points is putting some fun, nice new content in the grave yard f forgotten quests. Dont let this new pack bee doomed to the graveyard.

A interesting option is a nice quest arc reward choice with a chance for a 100k EXP stone to appear and/or a guaranteed random rare filligree. Carrots are nice, sticks are not and the low xp in this quest arc is a big spiky stick. The loot and quality of the quests are carrots but those carrots loose value over time the stick never looses its disincentive value.

Off the rails? OFF THE RAILS? I'll show you off the rails when I sick my army of necromancer squirrels on you for stealing my Jello! You want the crazy train? I'll bring it filled to the brim with swiss cheese and by the end of the night you'll be crying to your aunt Nellie about how you never got to feel like a real girl because Voltron stole your snack packs!

Lokeal_The_Flame
03-31-2018, 12:26 AM
Not sure what the connection between disney and oatmeal raisin is, but was referring to this:

http://ddowiki.com/images/Oatmeal_Raisin_Kookie.jpg

A favorite kookie among certain kobolds.

Shhhh, don't even mention Disney, they might try to buy DDO out too........ Star Wars and Marvel Comics... two very nerdy enterprises and Disney owns a chunk of both, the next logical conclusion would be purchasing the rights to D&D and after that the next logical conclusion might be to buy the rights to the games O_O

lol

DYWYPI
03-31-2018, 03:39 AM
It seems like your Developers still have quite a lot of proofreading and removing of erroneous code "newlines" to complete:

https://i.imgur.com/SWAbfuF.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yKIXLqb.jpg

DYWYPI
03-31-2018, 09:30 AM
I did manage to get time to complete four of the five quests. For 'Toxic Treatment', I had only gained Favour from two of the 'Elders'. I was halfway through the last "Mushroom" collecting trial... When it was announced the server was going to shutdown in several seconds.

Night Falls on Stormreach: there appeared to be no background music or voiceovers, which probably would have enhanced the quest. In fact none of the quests currently seemed to have background music or voice acting.

The map was sparsely populated and thematically the Acid trap seemed to make little sense in where it was placed. The tiny 'nine tiled' puzzle took about 3 seconds to complete and was probably not needed - I suspect most people would just run through the spraying acid. There was an attempt at humour in some of the dialogue but at no stage did the quest feel like there was an urgency regarding a rampaging or emerging 'plague'.

The 'Enraged Citizens' were semi-amusing but other than that there was little to zero atmosphere, plenty of tedium and general monotony.

Quarantine: the second quest was very similar to the first with an annoying; hack-and-slash 'everything that moves', hide and seek before several dozen gates would open. I presume it was a mechanic to prevent chain-reaction mob aggravation, turning into Dungeon Alert. So it was just wander around and "Go kill things!" no real intelligent objective.

If I vaguely remember there was some 'Concentration checks' in some of the quests. In other words unfriendly to Rogues (who are designed to evade unnecessary combat). Actually, I cannot remember much of the first two quests because they were uninspiring and bland. If they had been Level 5, maybe they'd be more in tune with beginner content. There were a few System Administrator jokes but nothing else stood out.

The Madness of Crowds: there was a mild attempt at humour and the scenery was pleasant. There was a rehashing of Brawnpit and part of the quest 'A Small Problem' objectives. The quest itself was mediocre and the landscape seemed underutilised. It was more like a mini-slayer area without many points of interest. The storyline in the first three quests was fine but they were all lacking in ambience.

The Age of Rage: this quest had some promising potential, it was far superior to the first three for immersion and replayability. However, some of the rooms looked overlarge for the mobs themselves, it wasn't an issue but looked a tiny bit unbalanced. The "kill to unlock a door to progress" was far less intrusive and more balanced. :D

Of course the Oxen (Cartwright), and the Bears made it feel more homely and added to diversity, making it more realistic. The 'Sate your Hunger for Destruction...' was a nice touch as were the Bear Traps in a quest full of bears. The experimental bodies on the slabs obviously were going to animate and it was welcomed.

The final Tile Puzzle trap was well implemented, and I liked that it "locked" the tiles on completion of the Puzzle rather than disabling the Trap damage effects - it was one of the best features. I did get a "DNT – Bonus Dungeon Quest Advanced" message on completion.

Overall it was pretty good quest; unlike could be said about the first two quests. The first two quests - in my humble opinion - just seemed lacklustre and far too linear and uninvolved. Perhaps with background music and voiceovers they'd vastly improve.

Toxic Treatment: like I mentioned prior, I didn't get past appeasing all the '3 Elders' before the server was shutdown. However, the quest was mostly enjoyable and like 'The Age of Rage' more varied and not just mindless hack-and-slash. The theme was pretty good and in keeping with the Drow culture and stereotypes, etc. :D

Albeit there was one "major issue" and concern, I came across with the: nine flashing rune "Simon" memory recall, and sound game...

Hunters Trial Intelligence: I was officially diagnosed, with a fairly common cognitive disability when I was studying at University by an Educational Psychologist. Give me a 'Culture Fair' Intelligence Test and I'll likely score within the top few percentiles of the population. :-)

Albeit one of the noticeable effects of my disability is I have a poor or faulty short-term memory and have trouble with sequencing, e.g. I have trouble remembering things like order of the alphabet or strings of words or numbers, for example telephone numbers.

Therefore unlike an unaffected individual that would have would have little or no perceived difficulty remembering and recalling: 5 or 6 digits; it causes me great stress or burden. Therefore I'm prone to completely forget the sequence or make major errors. In other words; my digit span is significantly, drastically and adversely affected.

https://i.imgur.com/XgLO54X.jpg

Assuming your DDO Developers insist on having one lever for each of the two sides (and have the additional sets of flashing runes triggering consecutively). Plus if you won't deviate from "resetting and removing any prior stage puzzle progress" on an incorrect selection; is it possible you can slow down the animation slightly or lengthen the time, one of the nine runes light up?

I had considerable issues with recalling both the four and five lighting up sequences, which only leads me to believe you haven't tested this specific puzzle with people that have cognitive disabilities. In which case it is similar to unwitting discrimination, against those individuals. :-/

I really liked the concept of the "Simon" puzzle but how it was implemented (timed sequencing) could do with some tiny tweaks to help people whom may have such disabilities (to aid accessibility). I did complete the two "Simon" puzzles but it took an exceptional amount of reattempts for recalling the later two sequences. :-(

In addition I think some of the time, latency was effecting the sound playing at the exact same time when the runes where lighting up.

I haven't gone into great detail and just reiterated those issues that I found most memorable.

Yesenia
03-31-2018, 11:51 AM
Shhhh, don't even mention Disney, they might try to buy DDO out too........ Star Wars and Marvel Comics... two very nerdy enterprises and Disney owns a chunk of both, the next logical conclusion would be purchasing the rights to D&D and after that the next logical conclusion might be to buy the rights to the games O_O

lol

Lol, Oddly enough this actually sounds reasonable.. Though honestly would that be such a bad thing? I love the SSG team, I do, despite their flaws.. Buuuut Disney is pretty big and aside from creating an Emo antagonist in Star Wars.. They've been good at keeping to lore..

Andu_Indorin
03-31-2018, 02:32 PM

When I stop and think about, I can see how the devs would be more concerned with getting the coding right and quickly running through the in-game text. Still, it projects a lack of quality control. ... And there ought to be a single person responsible for quality control who should ensure a degree of adherence to the English language.

And I'm still bothered by Mantle head wraps.

The_Human_Cypher
03-31-2018, 05:54 PM
When I stop and think about, I can see how the devs would be more concerned with getting the coding right and quickly running through the in-game text. Still, it projects a lack of quality control. ... And there ought to be a single person responsible for quality control who should ensure a degree of adherence to the English language.

And I'm still bothered by Mantle head wraps.

Many of the errors I've noticed in quest/raid/event text are things any spell-checker would catch. If SSG would just run all text for content through a standard MS Word doc spelling and grammar checker, the bulk of these mistakes could be caught before content went live.

DYWYPI
04-03-2018, 09:04 AM
It's not always the main concern there are spelling mistakes or grammatical errors (within the game dialogue) that can detract from overall quality. Though obviously it can be slightly disappointing to see such errors in a Preview.

My spelling ability is weak and my grammar capability truly atrocious though that's partly due to my dyslexia. I've co-authored a book and even helped with proofreading of some works from, the late Joe Dever (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Dever) (under licence) but I digress. I understand there's diversity and people do regularly make typographical errors.

Nonetheless some of those [NPC] Spelling and grammar mishaps are being repeatedly "Bug reported" but are still seemly being ignored. Apparently even after several years no effort is made to correct those errors. That type of attitude can be considered pitiful.

For example: it was officially 'Bug Reported' last year during the Mimic Hunt: "You are to High Level for this dungeon to get a mimic." might not be the intended message. Even this year, within the DDO Forums there were several threads relating to that specific erroneous message.

Mimics spawning from Guild Airship Chests; was considered "problematic" and thus corrected [March 20th]. In spite of that there was still failure to change a single letter to form the new word, i.e. adding "o" onto the end of [to] resulting in [too]. Maybe somehow that's kludgy, from kludge. Since the faulty message still occurred even after the mentioned fix, will the said text be corrected 2019?

I personally know Jerry fixes spelling errors, when he's informed so I'll give him his due there. :-) Though somehow the same type of basic errors; seem to be slipping through the holes of the Bug Reporting net.

FlimsyFirewood
04-04-2018, 10:44 AM
"You are to high level for this dungeon to get a mimic."

I fixed this typo yesterday, it should propagate on live servers with the next patch.

If you find similar text issues that bug you personally, just send me a private message on this forum with the exact quote and I'll take care of it. Thanks for reporting and feedback!

Aelonwy
04-04-2018, 11:55 AM
Any adjustments, or polishing, to the encounters in U38 so that it doesn't suffer from copy/paste mediocrity?

DYWYPI
04-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Just in case if anyone wasn't fully aware, within the (lower) image I posted above [Post #45 (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/495170-U38-Preview-2-Disciples-of-Rage-Adventure-Pack?p=6083581&viewfull=1#post6083581)]. I purposely didn't mention it contained the text:
"[...] Apparently the Dis[]ples of Rage ..." Perhaps:
[...] Apparently the Disc[i]ples of Rage ..." Was the likely the original textual objective?

I'd suspect that's already been fixed or noted but I thought I'd mention it just in case...

[...] If you find similar text issues that bug you personally, just send me a private message on this forum with the exact quote and I'll take care of it. Thanks for reporting and feedback!

No legacy is so rich as honesty. Thanks for your assistance; you do know you'll likely now have other people starting to PM spam you, demanding that you personally fix every single conceivable bug within the game.

The_Human_Cypher
04-05-2018, 05:25 PM
I fixed this typo yesterday, it should propagate on live servers with the next patch.

If you find similar text issues that bug you personally, just send me a private message on this forum with the exact quote and I'll take care of it. Thanks for reporting and feedback!

There are still a number of spelling and grammatical errors in the Ravenloft content, especially in the quest 'A Raven at the Door.' I posted to the Ravenloft bugs thread with extensive screenshots of these errors in 'A Raven at the Door' earlier this year. I will PM you the link to the thread now in the hope that these mistakes are fixed with the next patch.

Nubom70
04-15-2018, 09:44 AM
Yeah, not impressed with Toxic at all. It's a cluster of time-wasters, leading up to the only good fight in the entire mission. Oozes, hulks, one red panther, puzzles that were outdated 20 updates ago, and a view-cutting mazes. Yay. Someone really skipped breakfast and coffee on "idea day".

DukePe
04-15-2018, 09:48 AM
In fact I like all of the new chain.

It's a great solo test on equal level (did elite on a lvl 15-16 character) and keeping out for what spawns, what rushes and how to deal with it was fresh and difficult.
Using the enviroment was important.

I like the loot - the Mask of Vulkroom is pretty darn neat for my character (ranger) and the rest is decent as well.

The Brawnpit had this bug still - dropped bags can't be picked up. I wonder where that bug resides, sinces it crosses quests! Must be something to do with the map.
Also nice that Concentration skill actually matters (I failed ALL of mine!). ;)

~~DukeP~~