PDA

View Full Version : Hello! Newbie Needs Help With Camera and UI. Help!

Trig_of_Cowtown
03-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Trig and I hail from the city of Columbus, Ohio, affectionately nicknamed Cowtown.

I'm the author(?) of several long running webcomics and was thinking of doing a DDO based comic using screenshots I take from the game. But, I've run into two problems.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take screenshots of my character from the front. The camera insists on showing me only the back of my head. It's frustrating. *sigh*

The second thing is, I want to know how to hide the UI during screenshots. Can't make a decent comic if my ability buttons are in the way. *laughs*

Anywho, this is both my introduction to the DDO community and a plea for help from a 54 yr old guy who isn't quite as savvy as you young'uns. :D

I appreciate any help or tips you can provide.

-Trig

Lonnbeimnech
03-21-2018, 03:30 PM
Hi everyone! I'm Trig and I hail from the city of Columbus, Ohio, affectionately nicknamed Cowtown.

I'm the author(?) of several long running webcomics and was thinking of doing a DDO based comic using screenshots I take from the game. But, I've run into two problems.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to take screenshots of my character from the front. The camera insists on showing me only the back of my head. It's frustrating. *sigh*

The second thing is, I want to know how to hide the UI during screenshots. Can't make a decent comic if my ability buttons are in the way. *laughs*

Anywho, this is both my introduction to the DDO community and a plea for help from a 54 yr old guy who isn't quite as savvy as you young'uns. :D

-Trig

Hold down the mouse wheel and move the mouse to rotate the camera

Trig_of_Cowtown
03-21-2018, 03:33 PM

Thanks! That seems easy for even a mild technaphobe like me.:)

But, how to hide the UI?:confused:

zman67
03-21-2018, 03:48 PM
ctrl + z

v4ven
03-21-2018, 04:09 PM
You can also go into the UI settings and change the default from holding the wheel down and moving the mouse to whatever key you want. I'm set up where [ and ] turn my camera left and right.

UurlockYgmeov
03-21-2018, 04:52 PM
use a cameratoon? ;p

http://www.dcdes.org/images/FPO_toon_camera_photo.jpg

Niminae
03-21-2018, 07:04 PM

The number pad has a lot of camera functions. 4 or 6 to circle left or right. 8 to look up, 2 to look down. 7 to pull the camera back, 9 to move it in. 9 all the way in is a first person perspective, but there for some reason the 8 and 2 functions are reversed.

FuryFlash
03-21-2018, 07:08 PM
Thanks! That seems easy for even a mild technaphobe like me.:)

But, how to hide the UI?:confused:

Alt-Z is the default key combination to hide/show UI. As mentioned above, holding the mouse wheel and moving the mouse will orbit the camera around your character, as well as some of the number pad keys (rotate up, down, left, right, zoom in, zoom out).

Trig_of_Cowtown
03-22-2018, 07:44 AM
Alt-Z is the default key combination to hide/show UI. As mentioned above, holding the mouse wheel and moving the mouse will orbit the camera around your character, as well as some of the number pad keys (rotate up, down, left, right, zoom in, zoom out).

Thank you all muchly!

:)

Swimms
03-22-2018, 10:09 AM
Thank you all muchly!

:)

Make sure to post your work when completed!!

Trig_of_Cowtown
03-22-2018, 01:43 PM
Make sure to post your work when completed!!

I will! :)

I hope my work impresses you.

Whitering
03-22-2018, 02:39 PM
STO covers up loading screens with terrific screen shots taken by the players, and gives credit, it's pretty cool, maybe DDO should consider something like that.

C-Dog
03-23-2018, 05:31 AM
o http://ddowiki.com/page/Screenshot

Mindos
03-23-2018, 05:46 PM

-Trig

Hitting "T" turns off mouselook mode, so when you hold down the middle mouse button to move the camera, it will NOT snap back when you release the middle button.

PsychoBlonde
03-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Hey, Trig, I'm from Kettering, so not far from you. If you're on Thelanis you'd be welcome to join my guild Magefire Cannon. I'd be happy to help you with getting shots, too, if you like, sometimes it's a lot easier to get the shot you want with another character being the "camera" in first person mode.

And make sure you join my Best Screenshot weekly competition!

Trig_of_Cowtown
03-26-2018, 05:34 PM
Hey, Trig, I'm from Kettering, so not far from you. If you're on Thelanis you'd be welcome to join my guild Magefire Cannon. I'd be happy to help you with getting shots, too, if you like, sometimes it's a lot easier to get the shot you want with another character being the "camera" in first person mode.

And make sure you join my Best Screenshot weekly competition!

Howdy! /waves

Thank you for the invite and the offer for assistance, Psychoblonde! I'll take you up on it when my fibromyalgia settles down. (I've got it bad. Actually considered disabled by the state.)

I'm not on Thelanis. I just picked the top server on the list. Is it easy to transfer to another server or is it better just create a new character? It's no skin off my knee either way since I'm only 1st level on both of my characters.

Now, I just let the game walk me through the character creation when I was creating my characters. Is that okay? Got a feeling that I'm going to be looking for a copy of the d20 3.5 rules. :cool:

PsychoBlonde
03-26-2018, 06:38 PM
Howdy! /waves

Thank you for the invite and the offer for assistance, Psychoblonde! I'll take you up on it when my fibromyalgia settles down. (I've got it bad. Actually considered disabled by the state.)

I'm not on Thelanis. I just picked the top server on the list. Is it easy to transfer to another server or is it better just create a new character? It's no skin off my knee either way since I'm only 1st level on both of my characters.

Now, I just let the game walk me through the character creation when I was creating my characters. Is that okay? Got a feeling that I'm going to be looking for a copy of the d20 3.5 rules. :cool:

Sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia, that's a bummer.

It costs a pretty solid chunk of change to transfer a character, but making a new one on another server is easy, and you get bonus free DDO store points for getting some favor on each server, so it even helps you a little bit.

If you're not terribly familiar with the system, it's okay to use the character path to start out with. The way DDO works is different enough from 3.5 that you're not really going to be any better enlightened by picking up the pen and paper rules.

I'd say maybe just stay away from some of the more complicated character options. Barbarian, Paladin, Warlock (if you have them), Ranger, and Favored Soul (if you have them) are pretty simple to start learning to play the game. Artificer, Rogue, Monk, Bard, and Druid start simple but gets more complex later. Wizard and Sorcerer are probably the toughest for a beginner to play well right now and I'd steer clear of them for the present.

Propane
03-26-2018, 07:36 PM
A few things to check out...

http://www.gwen-morse.com/wiki/index.php/Tips_for_DDO_Noobs

From Axel's DDO Channel (Youtube)

New Players - Watch This Video (from DDO main forums)

I spent some time recently creating a video on my DDO youtube channel explaining DDO basics new players need to know that the game doesn't necessarily explain. See the video below. I'm hoping this helps out new players. I tried to cover everything I felt was essential for someone just getting started in DDO while at the same time keeping it as short and simple as possible. The topics I cover and their locations in the video are listed below as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B0qZarj5ZxA

0:00 - intro
1:00 - using the map
1:31 - taverns
2:22 - banks
2:57 - trainers
3:33 - auction houses
4:25 - vendors
5:15 - hirelings/hireling vendors
6:03 - airships/airship beacons
6:47 - joining and creating groups/the social menu
9:15 - adventure compendium
11:10 - using the ddowiki to find quests
13:45 - chat boxes
14:25 - voice chat
15:35 - enhancements
17:02 - using hotbars/how to use keymapping
19:06 - character sheet
22:33 - setting graphics level
24:32 - outro

Trig_of_Cowtown
03-27-2018, 11:32 AM
Sorry to hear about your fibromyalgia, that's a bummer.

It costs a pretty solid chunk of change to transfer a character, but making a new one on another server is easy, and you get bonus free DDO store points for getting some favor on each server, so it even helps you a little bit.

If you're not terribly familiar with the system, it's okay to use the character path to start out with. The way DDO works is different enough from 3.5 that you're not really going to be any better enlightened by picking up the pen and paper rules.

I'd say maybe just stay away from some of the more complicated character options. Barbarian, Paladin, Warlock (if you have them), Ranger, and Favored Soul (if you have them) are pretty simple to start learning to play the game. Artificer, Rogue, Monk, Bard, and Druid start simple but gets more complex later. Wizard and Sorcerer are probably the toughest for a beginner to play well right now and I'd steer clear of them for the present.

That's what I was thinking. Since I'm free to play at the moment, I'm limited to three characters and only a few class choices. *snerk* My two characters are a wizard and a rogue. Oops. Sounds like I have some deleting to do. *laugh*

Oh well.

A few things to check out...

http://www.gwen-morse.com/wiki/index.php/Tips_for_DDO_Noobs

From Axel's DDO Channel (Youtube)

New Players - Watch This Video (from DDO main forums)

I spent some time recently creating a video on my DDO youtube channel explaining DDO basics new players need to know that the game doesn't necessarily explain. See the video below. I'm hoping this helps out new players. I tried to cover everything I felt was essential for someone just getting started in DDO while at the same time keeping it as short and simple as possible. The topics I cover and their locations in the video are listed below as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=B0qZarj5ZxA

*snip for brevity*

COOL! Thank you! I'll watch the whole thing later tonight.:D

Trig_of_Cowtown
04-05-2018, 05:09 PM
That's what I was thinking. Since I'm free to play at the moment, I'm limited to three characters and only a few class choices. *snerk* My two characters are a wizard and a rogue. Oops. Sounds like I have some deleting to do. *laugh*

Oh well.

COOL! Thank you! I'll watch the whole thing later tonight.:D

*Reads Tips for DDO Noobs Guide*

HOLY MOLY! I am suddenly feeling completely overwhelmed. Is this the game for me? I mean, I just want to play and have fun like I used to do with pen and paper but it sounds like I have to be better prepared than one of the corporate backed raiders in World of Warcraft!

Can't I just be an adventurer who wants to see the world and do a little good along the way?:(

PsychoBlonde
04-05-2018, 05:29 PM
*Reads Tips for DDO Noobs Guide*

HOLY MOLY! I am suddenly feeling completely overwhelmed. Is this the game for me? I mean, I just want to play and have fun like I used to do with pen and paper but it sounds like I have to be better prepared than one of the corporate backed raiders in World of Warcraft!

Can't I just be an adventurer who wants to see the world and do a little good along the way?:(

It sounds A LOT more complex than it actually is. It's just a factor of there being lots to see and do!

The vast majority of it only comes into play slowly, as you've mastered more basic systems.

The biggest problem that I see people have is that they start out with too much specific stuff in mind. They ask things like:

"How should I make an endgame capable build with X, Y, Z, and Q, R, S"

No. Stop. Go back. You are new. I COULD answer that question, but you wouldn't UNDERSTAND the answer and it'll just make you frustrated. Either that, or I'd wind up giving you a pat answer that is only about 20% accurate, because there are so many "it depends" variables that any short answer is going to be woefully deficient.

Start with the basics. You're not building an "endgame capable character". You're just playing the game. You have THREE things that you need to do right now:

1. Stay alive
2. Deal some damage
3. Complete the quest and get xp.

That's it. That's all you need to worry about. How can I stay alive better. How can I deal damage better. How can I better complete THIS quest and get some xp. If you don't directly see how an option will help you either stay alive or deal damage, skip that option for now and do something else. It's either an advanced option or it's not very good.

Literally everything you will ever do in the game builds from those three fundamentals.

Trig_of_Cowtown
04-06-2018, 12:27 AM
It sounds A LOT more complex than it actually is. It's just a factor of there being lots to see and do!

The vast majority of it only comes into play slowly, as you've mastered more basic systems.

The biggest problem that I see people have is that they start out with too much specific stuff in mind. They ask things like:

"How should I make an endgame capable build with X, Y, Z, and Q, R, S"

No. Stop. Go back. You are new. I COULD answer that question, but you wouldn't UNDERSTAND the answer and it'll just make you frustrated. Either that, or I'd wind up giving you a pat answer that is only about 20% accurate, because there are so many "it depends" variables that any short answer is going to be woefully deficient.

Start with the basics. You're not building an "endgame capable character". You're just playing the game. You have THREE things that you need to do right now:

1. Stay alive
2. Deal some damage
3. Complete the quest and get xp.

That's it. That's all you need to worry about. How can I stay alive better. How can I deal damage better. How can I better complete THIS quest and get some xp. If you don't directly see how an option will help you either stay alive or deal damage, skip that option for now and do something else. It's either an advanced option or it's not very good.

Literally everything you will ever do in the game builds from those three fundamentals.

Whew. That's a relief. :)

Loromir
06-27-2018, 02:31 PM

I'm the author(?) of several long running webcomics and was thinking of doing a DDO based comic using screenshots I take from the game.

-Trig

Trig...have your started the "DDO Based comic"?. If so, where can we see it?

Also...where can we see your other web comics?