PDA

View Full Version : Lifesealed Doors

PsychoBlonde
03-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Something I'd like to see (and even love if it was applied to existing content)--when you run across a door that only unlocks when mobs are killed, there's a glowing aura on the door/lever/whatever that says "lifeseal" if you click on it, and the mobs you have to kill have a similar glow.

It would communicate what you have to do, and would also be less lame than a door that somehow knows to unlock itself when the last hobgoblin dies.

Lonnbeimnech
03-15-2018, 11:05 AM
I would prefer if one of the mobs dropped a key to the door.

I would also prefer if you could pick the lock instead.

Bogenbroom
03-15-2018, 11:29 AM
Something I'd like to see (and even love if it was applied to existing content)--when you run across a door that only unlocks when mobs are killed, there's a glowing aura on the door/lever/whatever that says "lifeseal" if you click on it, and the mobs you have to kill have a similar glow.

It would communicate what you have to do, and would also be less lame than a door that somehow knows to unlock itself when the last hobgoblin dies.

I really like that. Currently it is one of those mechs that feels very false, but your suggestion (or something in that vein) would try to incorporate it into the world instead of it begin a purely articifical mech.

Phoenicis
03-15-2018, 12:48 PM

This.

Anything other than the door just can't be opened until all the mobs are dead.

Saekee
03-15-2018, 03:20 PM

/signed
they do the key drop thing in Gianthold & I seem to recall elsewhere. For lifesealed doors, I would like to see a huge glowing umbilical chord connecting the mobs to the doorknob

Aelonwy
03-15-2018, 04:06 PM
For lifesealed doors, I would like to see a huge glowing umbilical chord connecting the mobs to the doorknob

I don't know why but this made me laugh and laugh. I can just see a group running into a room to slaughter the door-babies.

In PnP this would work more like the magical seal on the door has X# of hp based on the number of mobs whose life force are connected to the magical seal. This would also be a much cooler and more interesting mechanic if the mobs which are magically sealed to the door were not all in one room but spread throughout the dungeon. Maybe you wouldn't have to kill all of them either, maybe 3 out of 5 would do, giving you options as to which mobs to go after, in PnP of course.

TitusOvid
03-15-2018, 04:23 PM

Anything else is lame, really.
A non-pickable door is fine now and then but let some mob drop a key. It opens up the game to a little bit more tactic play.
Thank you for considering.

I don't know why but this made me laugh and laugh. I can just see a group running into a room to slaughter the door-babies.

In PnP this would work more like the magical seal on the door has X# of hp based on the number of mobs whose life force are connected to the magical seal. This would also be a much cooler and more interesting mechanic if the mobs which are magically sealed to the door were not all in one room but spread throughout the dungeon. Maybe you wouldn't have to kill all of them either, maybe 3 out of 5 would do, giving you options as to which mobs to go after, in PnP of course.

Actually this is awesome, too.
Maybe if you found 3 of the 5 guys the lock is even pickable cause the seal is weakend.

cdbd3rd
03-15-2018, 08:06 PM

For lifesealed doors, I would like to see a huge glowing umbilical chord connecting the mobs to the doorknob

Been watching my boy play some Diablo 3 and remember a power that would look similar. Sentry, or something like that. Don't see any good YouTube vids of the effect.

Maybe made like the beams in Misery's Peak, if those could be affixed to mobile anchor points... Hmm.

JOTMON
03-15-2018, 11:03 PM
why do we have to pick locks when...

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/strangerthings/images/6/68/Shining_jack_hacha.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20161012225421&path-prefix=es