PDA

View Full Version : Refurbishing the old.

Pavelov
03-13-2018, 10:56 AM
So, this game is really great. You can see the history of the game progression in the expansions and gear. The problem is that it is useless. Whenever an expansion comes out, or significant change made it makes so much of the game pointless and obsolete. The ONLY reason anyone runs Vault of Night anymore is a really nice bit of exp. The amazing red/orange raid gear that drops is completely useless. Random drops in dungeons are SO much better that there is no point in wearing the equipment much less spending effort to get the equipment. Siber Atoll raid isn't even done anymore except as a "nostalgia" run for guilds. Same with Twilight Forge. The awesome system for crafting epic gear out of named items and raid gear is a COMPLETE WASTE. A lv 15 piece of cannith crafted gear is better then the very hard to lv 20 epic crafted gear. What about the commendation gear in Eveningstar? A full set should be better then any mix and matched bunch of blues, but they are are useless. I understand that from a "business" standpoint you have to make everything new BETTER so people will throw money at the company to get it, but it has gotten gut wrenchingly stupid. PLEASE go back and refurbish all this gear to make it in line with new stuff and give people a reason to actually play all the content that the game designers spent so much time and effort on.

Pavelov
03-13-2018, 11:01 AM
Quick addition. This was done with cannith challenges (weapons still need base damage progression) and with Red Fens and Sharn Syndicate, and I think the changes are great. The news is that Crystal Cove is getting some upgrades, which is great. BUT PLEASE boost the old epic crafting gear.

lyrecono
03-13-2018, 05:00 PM
So, this game is really great. You can see the history of the game progression in the expansions and gear. The problem is that it is useless. Whenever an expansion comes out, or significant change made it makes so much of the game pointless and obsolete.
You run content to pick up the gear in order to farm the next bit of content. Not doing that makes it harder when the next update comes around and turns your toon into a waste of space (for groups that run harder difficulties)
The ONLY reason anyone runs Vault of Night anymore is a really nice bit of exp.
The same reason people run similar content after getting the gear from it. I assume you're not farming the harbor for the +1 stat trinkets during a tr?
Unlike other raids, VoN is rather well run, easy to get people for, easy to get flagged for, has decent exp/minute.
If you want people to do more old school raids, ask the devs to go easier on flagging and make the exp/min worth running it.

The amazing red/orange raid gear that drops is completely useless.
As it should be, the VoN raid is over a decade old and it's best piece of melee gear got nerfed.

Random drops in dungeons are SO much better that there is no point in wearing the equipment much less spending effort to get the equipment.
Really? what random drop is better then the barovian raid gear?
You shouldn't compare decade old raid loot with current random gear but what is currently best at cap/latest content.

Siber Atoll raid isn't even done anymore except as a "nostalgia" run for guilds.
Siber atoll doesn't have a raid, it's a quest, assuming you mean SoS, it rarely gets run because it's no longer required to run the flagging quests at lv to get to 20.

Same with Twilight Forge. The awesome system for crafting epic gear out of named items and raid gear is a COMPLETE WASTE.
Again, a decade old heroic gear set (not an epic one), to much has changed over the years, those mechanics are no longer in place.
Though i do admit, i do miss the visuals in there.

A lv 15 piece of cannith crafted gear is better then the very hard to lv 20 epic crafted gear.
And the content changed to match the increased power from newer gear.
Now there is no reason to waste your time with the old shard/seal/scroll system and you too can go straight for the newer gear.

What about the commendation gear in Eveningstar? A full set should be better then any mix and matched bunch of blues, but they are are useless.
Back in the day when the cap was 20 only a small group bothered to farm epics for the +1 stat bonus, when the cap was about to be raised to 25, the devs implemented a simple system for the rest of the population to catch up.
The evening star sets were created specifically for this purpose, to help people catch up, so they could run the content just as well as the gear farmers.
They wee never meant to be the best gear set forever.
I understand that from a "business" standpoint you have to make everything new BETTER so people will throw money at the company to get it, but it has gotten gut wrenchingly stupid.
Agreed, gear should be fixed at a lv and only by raising the level cap should there be reason to increase the power on gear. This would however create a very stale game that would promote casual gaming where logging in for a week every 3-6 months should suffice to get all the basic gear for your toons. if there is no reason to log in more often, why pay as much? or at all?

PLEASE go back and refurbish all this gear to make it in line with new stuff and give people a reason to actually play all the content that the game designers spent so much time and effort on.

The best way to make people play old content is by making it fun&relevant, this should be done without invalidating the need to buy new content (from a business perspective).

1, by creating a sigil or bag that holds flagging totems/runes. said runes/totems can be obtained by flagging once and should keep you flagged forever.
2, create easy ways to reach a raid, portals of sorts. a new teleport scroll that has the 20 hardest raids to reach on it?
3, make the exp per min worth it to rerun it.
4, Make the raid fun to run, not everyone likes to work their backsides of for an hour only to see it fail due to random chance outside of the players control, or wait an hour for a bugged raid boss to come back down.
5, re-balance the content fit in the difficulty of quests at that lv (kinda like heroic tempest spine is now fun and easy exp), this also due to the ever shrinking population, short-manning is often the norm.

Arch-Necromancer
03-17-2018, 04:16 AM
It would be nice it devs would continue their work on updating old loot.

Sharn and Fens loot update was really nice and it would be nice to see more of that in the future. Like at least one old adventure pack per update.

They did not update all Red Fens loot (armor and weapons were not updated), so even that needs to be finished.

Rofaust
03-30-2018, 07:15 AM
Easiest most efficient way to fix this imo is to take every outdated named item and reset the value of every attribute to be equal to cannith crafted/random loot gen level equivalent. Raid gear and Epic scroll-seal-shard crafted items of course can be a couple of power levels stronger than their minimum level would dictate, and some items with many powerful or unique abilities could be scaled back a level or two for balance. Rarer items could be stronger, etc. but the rule of thumb would be if you can craft an item with better attributes at the same level, then the old name item needs to be brought up to that level At Least.

Annoveija
03-30-2018, 08:21 AM
since most quests will last more then half hour why not house j or house p buffs last more then half hour? guild ship buffs last 5 hours, for me house j and house p favor is not worth much to worry about since i never use the buffs but if you can get a buff cast on you for one hour or two hours for 100 or 300 gold from favor vendor i bet more players will want that favor...if my cleric can get 1 hour for jump buff I will LOVE house p buffs lol she is horrible jumper

changelingamuck
03-30-2018, 09:24 AM
They did not update all Red Fens loot (armor and weapons were not updated), so even that needs to be finished.

More than that. None of the upgraded epic versions of Red Fens items were updated. They were under time constraints to fit in the updates that they did manage to do, of course.

Recared
03-31-2018, 02:44 PM
So, this game is really great. You can see the history of the game progression in the expansions and gear. The problem is that it is useless. Whenever an expansion comes out, or significant change made it makes so much of the game pointless and obsolete. The ONLY reason anyone runs Vault of Night anymore is a really nice bit of exp. The amazing red/orange raid gear that drops is completely useless. Random drops in dungeons are SO much better that there is no point in wearing the equipment much less spending effort to get the equipment. Siber Atoll raid isn't even done anymore except as a "nostalgia" run for guilds. Same with Twilight Forge. The awesome system for crafting epic gear out of named items and raid gear is a COMPLETE WASTE. A lv 15 piece of cannith crafted gear is better then the very hard to lv 20 epic crafted gear. What about the commendation gear in Eveningstar? A full set should be better then any mix and matched bunch of blues, but they are are useless. I understand that from a "business" standpoint you have to make everything new BETTER so people will throw money at the company to get it, but it has gotten gut wrenchingly stupid. PLEASE go back and refurbish all this gear to make it in line with new stuff and give people a reason to actually play all the content that the game designers spent so much time and effort on.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/457568-2-suggestions-for-infinite-fun-infinite-customization-infinite-revitalization-of-DDO

Qhualor
03-31-2018, 03:36 PM

I agree, but what you are asking for would be a monster of work for the devs. with the amount of work they already have to do between updates, they might only have time to do 1 packs worth of named loot. it would take several years at least to go through all of them. if its easier to create new named loot, I would rather have them do that than update old named loot. even that probably would take a considerable amount of time.

Arch-Necromancer
04-07-2018, 03:29 AM
I agree, but what you are asking for would be a monster of work for the devs. with the amount of work they already have to do between updates, they might only have time to do 1 packs worth of named loot. it would take several years at least to go through all of them.

Even one pack per update would be nice. Something is better than nothing.

Even if it would take several years, it would be an awesome thing. Every time one pack would get updated loot, players would enjoy playing it, and many old packs would be played again instead of being skipped due to outdated loot.