PDA

View Full Version : Remember your location in guild ship

Bertum
03-10-2018, 02:28 PM
If the game remembered your location in the guild ship when a toon logs off, I think the game would save a lot of unnecessary loading. Like loading bank toons and going to the cargo hold.

I guess if the guild ship changed since that toon last logged on, it could go to the usual default location.

If you go off the ship, when you return you would go to the usual default location.

Sunnie
03-10-2018, 03:38 PM
My understanding is that the individual guild airships only exist as locations when someone is actually on them (and for 5 minutes after the last person goes off until the instance resets). There's a general model for each airship and the amenities are only loaded as needed when you enter the deck they're on. This should cause FAR less loading and stress for the servers than saving every airship as its individual area, which would all be subject to changes when someone decides to move the rooms or crew around.
So while it would be nice to be able to log out, then in on another character and put something in the bank or mail it, then out again, and in on the first character, appearing in the same spot (probably in the Orien Express) as you were before... I'm pretty sure it would greatly increase overall loading and server load since every time you relog the game would have to fetch the information about which of the now hundreds of ships you're on, where exactly on it you are, and possibly have to load all the amenities on it instead of just the ones on your deck. The game would also have to run a check every time to see if the saved location corresponds with the current ship layout which, as you yourself say, may have changed and the Orien Express may now be the Danger Room. And what about the cargo hold and the legacy amenities? They're on timers which change constantly, causing the state of the ship to change constantly.

But yeah, if the technical kinks can be ironed out it might save a little loading when you need to log onto 5 or 6 characters and check their banks for an item to pass to your main or whatever. On the flipside I'm pretty sure it would greatly increase loading in the case where someone logs on, grabs buffs, and gets off the ship to do questing.

So, decent idea that would make some things slightly more comfortable, but I think it would require a complete recoding of how the game handles airships, and that's just not a reasonable mount of work for what would be an improvement in only some cases.

Josielynn
03-20-2018, 02:18 PM
...If the game remembered your location in the guild ship when a toon logs off, I think the game would save a lot of unnecessary loading. Like loading bank toons and going to the cargo hold...

I just put my storage toons in Stormreach by the banker. Easy on/off.

My gripe is they need a better way for us to search through our gear when we level. Why not let us export to a spreadsheet so we can sort our stuff by level (both character and bank)? They want us to re-level over and over with the resurrection system, but give us no way to do it efficiently. Even the TR bank lacks a search bar.