PDA

View Full Version : To be melee

Kriogen
03-05-2018, 09:16 AM
Challenge is not if the best way to do it is "ranged".

Sugestion:
- Charge: You are able to leap through the air to bring the fight to your enemies. Short(ish) range. Hard-targeted ability, must target hostile target. You jump to that specific target. Not a "travel" power, an attack. No extra funky stuff. Just get there. Short cooldown(2-4 sec).

To be a melee, you have to be in melee range. Every single melee build needs a way to get in melee range like yesterday.

P.S.:
Even Cellimas ordered me to "Charge!". But how? I have no button for that.

Kaboom2112
03-05-2018, 09:28 AM
You will at level 29 :)

Fire charge is awesome.

Allorian
03-05-2018, 10:00 AM

Sugestion:
- Charge: You are able to leap through the air to bring the fight to your enemies. Short(ish) range. Hard-targeted ability, must target hostile target. You jump to that specific target. Not a "travel" power, an attack. No extra funky stuff. Just get there. Short cooldown(2-4 sec).

To be a melee, you have to be in melee range. Every single melee build needs a way to get in melee range like yesterday.

P.S.:

It's called Dire Charge, you have to have all three martial destinies filled out and it's acquired at 29th lvl.

Thx
Glam

Kriogen
03-05-2018, 12:32 PM
Charge, not Dire Charge. Like Trip and Improved Trip.

Something that you can get at very low levels.

Lonnbeimnech
03-05-2018, 12:53 PM
Charge, not Dire Charge. Like Trip and Improved Trip.

Something that you can get at very low levels.

Vanguard get Shield Rush and Shield Charge

lyrecono
03-05-2018, 11:03 PM

Sugestion:

P.S.:

Prety much no, have you tried a striding or speed item? Haste potions? The abot quiver? A class with permanently increased movement speed( monk or barbarian). A class witha temperary speed boost?(barb, ranger and bard)
Just to name a few.

Palna
03-06-2018, 04:01 AM
Weird responses, with ways to get around the suggestion instead of discussions on how it's a good or bad idea... Anyways, I like it and used this type of action alot when i played PnP. Could be a feat granted just the same as Sunder, Trip etc, don't think it devalues those abilities mentioned in the thread dependant on the cooldown maybe.

Charge
Charging is a special full-round action that allows you to move up to twice your speed and attack during the action. However, it carries tight restrictions on how you can move.

Movement During a Charge
You must move before your attack, not after. You must move at least 10 feet (2 squares) and may move up to double your speed directly toward the designated opponent.

You must have a clear path toward the opponent, and nothing can hinder your movement (such as difficult terrain or obstacles). Here’s what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.) Second, if any line from your starting space to the ending space passes through a square that blocks movement, slows movement, or contains a creature (even an ally), you can’t charge. (Helpless creatures don’t stop a charge.)

If you don’t have line of sight to the opponent at the start of your turn, you can’t charge that opponent.

You can’t take a 5-foot step in the same round as a charge.

If you are able to take only a standard action or a move action on your turn, you can still charge, but you are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). You can’t use this option unless you are restricted to taking only a standard action or move action on your turn.

Attacking on a Charge
After moving, you may make a single melee attack. You get a +2 bonus on the attack roll and take a -2 penalty to your AC until the start of your next turn.

A charging character gets a +2 bonus on the Strength check made to bull rush an opponent.

Even if you have extra attacks, such as from having a high enough base attack bonus or from using multiple weapons, you only get to make one attack during a charge.

Lances and Charge Attacks
A lance deals double damage if employed by a mounted character in a charge.

Weapons Readied against a Charge
Spears, tridents, and certain other piercing weapons deal double damage when readied (set) and used against a charging character.

Saekee
03-06-2018, 06:33 AM
assassins, acrobats, DWS/tempests & ninjas can use sneak to move up close too

Revolted
03-06-2018, 07:32 AM
Personally I think that would be a nice idea, but there's a problem with charge in DDO: it's not just a move foreward at high speed it also is the only way to "fly" over short/medium pits. An action like charge would devalue abilities like the ones from the monk and fvs, or the one from the Exalted Angel. would also make items like boots of propulsion useless. That kind of "maneuver" as a very high interest on this game, with the quick fights and real time actions. So, although I would love to see it in the game, I'll have to vote NO.

Kriogen
03-06-2018, 08:54 AM
Personally I think that would be a nice idea, but there's a problem with charge in DDO: it's not just a move foreward at high speed it also is the only way to "fly" over short/medium pits. An action like charge would devalue abilities like the ones from the monk and fvs, or the one from the Exalted Angel. would also make items like boots of propulsion useless. That kind of "maneuver" as a very high interest on this game, with the quick fights and real time actions. So, although I would love to see it in the game, I'll have to vote NO.

...Hard-targeted ability, must target hostile target. ....

Not "travel forward", must have hostile target or no go.

Kriogen
03-06-2018, 08:58 AM
assassins, acrobats, DWS/tempests & ninjas can use sneak to move up close too
It has nothing to do with sneaking.

Plus, woudn't it be nice if you could do it like a cat, panther. Sneak close enough and ... pounce on an unsuspecting pray?

the_one_dwarfforged
03-13-2018, 12:07 AM
i dont think a charge in the manner youve described it is necessary or worth a feat.

personally i would love it if dire charge was a melee focused feat and available in heroics rather than what it is now; would also love if vanguard builds were more viable to actually be able to use the mobility in that tree but best case scenario you arent going to take t5 vg anyway.

having essentially a blink on a 3 sec cd would actually be detrimental to the game imo.

noobodyfool
06-02-2018, 04:37 AM

Sugestion:

P.S.:

Need a charge at low levels

Vehementi
06-06-2018, 01:54 AM
Gotta love how even small nice quality of life changes people are so quick to go "What change?! noo pitch forks! we must change the topic and find bandaids!"

Kinda sad to see what the community is like now and even on the ddo discord...

Least the game has gotten better content.

Assassins/ninjas need a pounce or a dash behind ability.
Acrobats need somersaulting behind target. But that might not be possible with the games current engine...

"It's called Dire Charge, you have to have all three martial destinies filled out and it's acquired at 29th lvl."

Yes... a tiny little ability that adds to the game you must grind to level 29 to get... That's most definitely what the OP is talking about. You must know every martial arts in the game to learn to dash forward... My god that sounds insanely stupid. We should also learn to walk at level 3 instead. Just saying.

Enoach
06-06-2018, 06:38 AM
I myself would like to see SSG implement more Tactical melee abilities like Bull Rush, Charge, Disarm, Grapple and Overrun.

Annex
06-06-2018, 11:08 AM
Unfortunately, spell casters kill low hit point enemies so fast I am not sure even a quick charge would help. The Draconic Epic Destiny ability Flyby Attack kinda works as you describe.

The problem really involves the relationship between spell casters and dungeon difficulty. If a spell caster enters a low difficulty dungeon, he or she can quickly and efficiently kill everything with area damage spells from long range, creating the problem you describe. In a high difficulty dungeon, area damage spells cannot get the job done and spell casters must switch to other tactics like charm, hold, and single target instant-kill. The latter situation leaves some room for melee types to get in on the action. Unfortunately, in DDO, the way monster damage ramps up with difficulty, unprepared melee types will quickly get overwhelmed in a high difficulty environment unless someone can lock down enemies before engaging. That leads to requests for more hold skills and self healing since no one can guarantee a hold oriented character will join every party.

The developers could help with this problem by changing the composition of monster packs in all difficulties. If each monster pack consisted of one or two high defense monsters and a bunch of low defense monsters, spell casters could mow down the low defense monsters leaving the high defense monsters for melee. By "high defense" I mean a monster with high hit points, high resistance to magical damage, immunity to charm, and immunity instant kill. Such a monster need not have high offense! Please note that Monster Champions, with some tweaking, could easily provide such monsters. Right now, Monster Champions mostly provide a bunch of high offense monsters making ranged combat, charm, hold, and instant-kill even more desirable.

Of course, if the developers did what I suggest, some players would complain about "bags of hit points" and we would circle around back where we started. :eek:

Wipey
06-06-2018, 12:47 PM
"Casters have always been so easy."

That's why there always been like 80% melees or other "dps", bunch of completely not useful newbies unable to make any classic caster work and handful of old timers ( same people that you invite or glad to have on high skulls for hjealing, casting ).
That's why almost every single "caster" in heroics is a aswd+left mouse cone tardlock. Newbies just never experience "casting".
Constant influx of threads from helpless new palemasters or clerics. Every year.
How many people play or even know great ( ~ 100+ DCs ) casters ?
Casters are so easy that almost noone plays them.

Enoach
06-06-2018, 01:09 PM
"Casters have always been so easy."

That's why there always been like 80% melees or other "dps", bunch of completely not useful newbies unable to make any classic caster work and handful of old timers ( same people that you invite or glad to have on high skulls for hjealing, casting ).
That's why almost every single "caster" in heroics is a aswd+left mouse cone tardlock. Newbies just never experience "casting".
Constant influx of threads from helpless new palemasters or clerics. Every year.
How many people play or even know great ( ~ 100+ DCs ) casters ?
Casters are so easy that almost noone plays them.

This gave me a smile... and reminded me why Intelligence and Wisdom are Caster Attributes. Sometimes actually using those outside of a Number on a sheet of paper changes the outcome on a more significant basis. Maybe that is why I love playing my wizard and cleric so much :).

noobodyfool
08-08-2018, 12:29 AM
Unfortunately, spell casters kill low hit point enemies so fast I am not sure even a quick charge would help. The Draconic Epic Destiny ability Flyby Attack kinda works as you describe.

The problem really involves the relationship between spell casters and dungeon difficulty. If a spell caster enters a low difficulty dungeon, he or she can quickly and efficiently kill everything with area damage spells from long range, creating the problem you describe. In a high difficulty dungeon, area damage spells cannot get the job done and spell casters must switch to other tactics like charm, hold, and single target instant-kill. The latter situation leaves some room for melee types to get in on the action. Unfortunately, in DDO, the way monster damage ramps up with difficulty, unprepared melee types will quickly get overwhelmed in a high difficulty environment unless someone can lock down enemies before engaging. That leads to requests for more hold skills and self healing since no one can guarantee a hold oriented character will join every party.

The developers could help with this problem by changing the composition of monster packs in all difficulties. If each monster pack consisted of one or two high defense monsters and a bunch of low defense monsters, spell casters could mow down the low defense monsters leaving the high defense monsters for melee. By "high defense" I mean a monster with high hit points, high resistance to magical damage, immunity to charm, and immunity instant kill. Such a monster need not have high offense! Please note that Monster Champions, with some tweaking, could easily provide such monsters. Right now, Monster Champions mostly provide a bunch of high offense monsters making ranged combat, charm, hold, and instant-kill even more desirable.

Of course, if the developers did what I suggest, some players would complain about "bags of hit points" and we would circle around back where we started. :eek:

This gave me a smile... and reminded me why Intelligence and Wisdom are so rarely found on threads. Sometimes actually using those outside of the Meta, changes the outcome on a more significant basis. Maybe that is why I love playing Melee so much!

Lagin
08-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Every single melee build needs a way to get in melee range like yesterday.

So, ranged & caster toons beat you to the fight? You want something to help you get into battle 1st?
you have options:rolleyes:

Splash 1 lvl Barbarian

Dont play a dwarf cleric based toon

In a pug,............................sorry, cant help you.

With guild-mates and friends, offer them your loot to let you run ahead, (much fun can be had with this)

Offer to smash all the breakables, guard the rear, answer the phone, get coffee, and stay in the back and pike.
OR, adjust your playstyle and whom you run with. (that's not a fun option)

*Fighters have proficiency w/ bows, just sayin. :cool: