PDA

View Full Version : Warlock splash for innate Shield?

Loresong
02-07-2018, 02:28 PM
So I'm playing a shuriken-flinging Monk and enjoying it a lot, however I'm a little concerned about my survivability. Does anyone have experience or thoughts to share on respeccing to 18 Monk/ 2 Warlock to pick up that passive Shield in Enlightened Spirit? It seems like it'd help some, especially against champion casters and their ridiculous damage output, but it also seems like it might be too niche to make up for the loss of Vorpal and a point of crit multiplier in the ninja spy capstone. (And yes, I'm aware that shield clickies exist, but grabbing a +3 heart of wood sounds like way less of a hassle than farming Ghola-Fan for a bunch of belts, so I'm considering this first.) I'm also considering a rogue mechanic 18/warlock 2, for similar reasons, since Mechanic's capstone isn't as much of a loss, but there it's also viable to go Gnome and pick up Mark of Scribing.

Advice?

Tom116
02-07-2018, 02:44 PM
So I'm playing a shuriken-flinging Monk and enjoying it a lot, however I'm a little concerned about my survivability. Does anyone have experience or thoughts to share on respeccing to 18 Monk/ 2 Warlock to pick up that passive Shield in Enlightened Spirit? It seems like it'd help some, especially against champion casters and their ridiculous damage output, but it also seems like it might be too niche to make up for the loss of Vorpal and a point of crit multiplier in the ninja spy capstone. (And yes, I'm aware that shield clickies exist, but grabbing a +3 heart of wood sounds like way less of a hassle than farming Ghola-Fan for a bunch of belts, so I'm considering this first.) I'm also considering a rogue mechanic 18/warlock 2, for similar reasons, since Mechanic's capstone isn't as much of a loss, but there it's also viable to go Gnome and pick up Mark of Scribing.

Advice?

UMD wands. Wand of Shield is purchasable at the guild vendors with 50 charges, caster level 1 gives 5 mins of it. Shoot one off whenever you see lots of possible MM casters, or right before if you know the quest well enough. They can be removed via dispel magic, but that spell isn't common enough to worry that much about it.

Definitely not worth losing the ninja capstone over (even half ranks of UMD should be able to cast it without too much trouble), and on a mechanic I assume you already have UMD ranks planned with the thousands of skill points an int-based rogue gets :)

Hallstatt
02-07-2018, 03:17 PM
You could also use shield or nightshield scrolls. They stack to 100!

Loresong
02-07-2018, 04:16 PM
Oh, hey, I had not realised shield came in wands. Don't have any UMD currently on the monk, but that can be remedied pretty easily. Thank you!

Tom116
02-07-2018, 07:18 PM
You could also use shield or nightshield scrolls. They stack to 100!

True, but scrolls can be smashed during combat. Probably more shield/plat with a wand that can be repaired when damaged. It's always painful to see "13 Scrolls of Resurrection have been Destroyed" in a fight.

Oh, hey, I had not realised shield came in wands. Don't have any UMD currently on the monk, but that can be remedied pretty easily. Thank you!
Np, glad to help :)

Matuse
02-08-2018, 12:26 AM
Do Abbot, get guaranteed 15 minute nightshield clicky dress.

Or wait until Halloween comes back and get a nightshield clicky dress from the Night Revels.

AbyssalMage
02-08-2018, 07:41 AM
True, but scrolls can be smashed during combat. Probably more shield/plat with a wand that can be repaired when damaged. It's always painful to see "13 Scrolls of Resurrection have been Destroyed" in a fight.
Scrolls of Shield are cheap. Can be bought in the Marketplace (nice central area). And I would prefer those getting destroyed over other consumables.

Necro Pack provides a 14 minute clicky (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Raiment_of_the_Fervent) which is ~3 scrolls although 1 despell and your SoL and have to UMD Scrolls/wands again.

Robe of Shadow (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Robe_of_Shadow_(Level_24)) like mentioned is your best bet once October rolls around again.

Regardless, this is an instance where clickies/scrolls/wands is better than losing 2 levels. UMD is very useful :)

Bobmj
02-09-2018, 11:51 AM
And until you can UMD Shield scrolls there are low-level options:

http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Protective_Gloves

http://m.ddowiki.com/page/Item:Goggles_of_Shielding

Not as convenient as being able to cast it, but with a couple of these you can get from shrine to shrine on any toon.

PsychoBlonde
02-09-2018, 02:23 PM
Do Abbot, get guaranteed 15 minute nightshield clicky dress.

Or wait until Halloween comes back and get a nightshield clicky dress from the Night Revels.

Can also make a legendary greensteel nightshield clickie.

Whitering
02-09-2018, 02:27 PM

Even if you don't use arrows for ranged combat, a stack of arrows in the slot is like 50% chance to be damaged instead of your other gear that takes damage from damage. Try it out.

Also, BTA or BTC items cannot be destroyed this way, if they have durability it can be lost, but always repaired. If it doesn't have durability, it can't be damaged at all if it is BTA or BTC.

Silverleafeon
02-13-2018, 09:58 AM
Eventually for end game final builds, you can replace your shield wands (I carry multiple one and trade one to persons that need thus.) with Leg Greensteel Crafting - 20 minute clicky for mostly small leg ingrediants which you will have plenty of as you build your 2 ~ 5 piece Mat/Opp hp set?

http://ddowiki.com/page/Legendary_Green_Steel_items/Active

Nightshield
Legendary Inferior Focus of Positive Energy x2
Legendary Inferior Focus of Negative Energy x2
Legendary Diluted Ethereal Essence x2
Legendary Diluted Material Essence x1
Legendary Cloudy Gem of Opposition x3
Charges: 1/1, CL: 20
Grants a resistance bonus to saves and protection from magic missiles.

Silverleafeon
02-13-2018, 09:59 AM
Even if you don't use arrows for ranged combat, a stack of arrows in the slot is like 50% chance to be damaged instead of your other gear that takes damage from damage. Try it out.

Thanks for the tip.

Remember doing that long ago to protect heal scroll stacks.

Whitering
02-20-2018, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Remember doing that long ago to protect heal scroll stacks.

I mean, it's not a 100% but often when I start losing potions and scrolls and such it's because I've run out of arrows.

Powerhungry
02-20-2018, 04:21 PM

I've learned to never carry less than three shield wands at a time. If you only carry one, it will be the first thing mobs break when you need it most.

QuantumFX
02-20-2018, 07:15 PM
Or, run Waterworks and check your chain end reward list. That's where all my BtA 5 charge items came from.