PDA

View Full Version : Set effects.

bloodnose13
01-26-2018, 10:29 PM
with addition of so many demanding set effects in ravenloft, i think we will have issues with new items added by future quests, being tied down by an item just to preserve set is troubling, even now not all of items fit for every class, but need to be used due to fact there may not be a choice.

so an idea, set effect auguments, two types, both created by tradeing in an item with set effect you could want + some of the strahd/baba raid tokens.
type 1, allows to trade in quest item, requires 2 items still eqipped, rest can be auguments slotted into items
type 2, allows to trade in raid item, for a set augument that requires only 1 item

so in case of 3 item sets it would be 1 or 2 aguments allowed, and in case of 5 item sets , either 3 or 4 auguments allowed to form set.
slotted set effect overrides the set effect on item.

this idea could be applied to all sets in the game in the future, not just revenloft, but ravenloft sets is the current thing that im thinking off. set effects while being great now may realy create lot of grief later on in future quest packs.

hinton
01-28-2018, 12:55 PM
I read this a few days ago and have been mulling it over a bit.

In any game with sets you have to consider when it's time to break up a set.
Is this new piece of gear good enough to loose the bonus?
That is part of the negative of a set to balance the advantage of a set bonus.
I don't really like all set or even many sets having a flex piece.
The Gem of Many Facets exists for the Korthos 2 piece sets and the The Devil's Handiwork needs 5 of 8(but i consider that a build flex optoon)

If you want your set bonus sacrifice your flexability and be smart enough to know when to switch away from the set.
If someone isn't sure when to loose the set I'm sure they will ask on the forum since so many people are not smart enough to figure thing out.

bloodnose13
01-29-2018, 04:05 PM
I read this a few days ago and have been mulling it over a bit.

In any game with sets you have to consider when it's time to break up a set.
Is this new piece of gear good enough to loose the bonus?
That is part of the negative of a set to balance the advantage of a set bonus.
I don't really like all set or even many sets having a flex piece.
The Gem of Many Facets exists for the Korthos 2 piece sets and the The Devil's Handiwork needs 5 of 8(but i consider that a build flex optoon)

If you want your set bonus sacrifice your flexability and be smart enough to know when to switch away from the set.
If someone isn't sure when to loose the set I'm sure they will ask on the forum since so many people are not smart enough to figure thing out.

i know what you mean, but also i think of next updates, even if next updates will have gold plated awsome items in them, then its one slightly better item that has to contest against whole set of items, in ravenloft nearly all items form a set, which means by the time next update appears, majority of people will have at least one set on them, that means up to 5 slots taken. the thing i suggested, while it would make it possible to keep set with a non set item, would stilll have requirement for player to WORK for that ability by raiding, which by itself would give another reason for everyone to want to raid.

what is the incentive for raiding? exp? its items for majority, and when everyone gets items they want out of the raid, raid dies down, we saw that multiple times. especialy since raid timer bypasses appeared, that raids die down faster. so maybe that could be one of new incentives to run raids, not just those but if done smart could revive some of older raids also.
thats just theory but maybe it should be considered.

blerkington
01-29-2018, 04:47 PM
I'd say Ravenloft has shown us several things about the developers' attitude to these issues.

1. Increases in gear power don't show any signs of slowing down. In this paid expansion, there was a particularly large jump.
2. Little to no concern about itemisation problems, eg, putting certain effects in odd/conflicting slots, splitting effects and leaving crucial effects off other items.
3. Constant regearing for capped characters (getting new gear and also replacing crafted gear for people wanting BiS) is the central part of their endgame.
4. Zero concern about making older content obsolete through constant power creep.

So I would be very, very surprised if we saw any effort in future updates to allow us to preserve old set bonuses with a reduced number of items. If anything, I'd expect to see updates that make a concerted effort to make old gear less desirable, in order to fuel pack sales. And even though you'd expect more creep from a paid expansion that is meant to be a particularly desirable purchase, the next couple of P2P packs still have to be compelling sales too and that means better gear.

If they were really interested in making this easier for us, they'd do something with Slaver items, such as letting us break them down for a partial return of materials and/or reaper bonus blanks. But there has been zero movement on that front despite repeated requests from the community.

Thanks.

bloodnose13
01-30-2018, 05:53 PM
I'd say Ravenloft has shown us several things about the developers' attitude to these issues.

1. Increases in gear power don't show any signs of slowing down. In this paid expansion, there was a particularly large jump.
2. Little to no concern about itemisation problems, eg, putting certain effects in odd/conflicting slots, splitting effects and leaving crucial effects off other items.
3. Constant regearing for capped characters (getting new gear and also replacing crafted gear for people wanting BiS) is the central part of their endgame.
4. Zero concern about making older content obsolete through constant power creep.

So I would be very, very surprised if we saw any effort in future updates to allow us to preserve old set bonuses with a reduced number of items. If anything, I'd expect to see updates that make a concerted effort to make old gear less desirable, in order to fuel pack sales. And even though you'd expect more creep from a paid expansion that is meant to be a particularly desirable purchase, the next couple of P2P packs still have to be compelling sales too and that means better gear.

If they were really interested in making this easier for us, they'd do something with Slaver items, such as letting us break them down for a partial return of materials and/or reaper bonus blanks. But there has been zero movement on that front despite repeated requests from the community.

Thanks.

sadly its all true, personaly i think that ddo in future should go towards things like customizable items and more in a way of auguments, i very much liked the items with random effects, that allowed for more combinations of same item, but thats other topic.

fact is that ravenlofts set heavy items will be a problem for a future, unless items from next update will be twice as good, it will be hard choice to break set, few people that i met have that problem even now, thanks to set from slavers. sets are too restricting as a mechanic and anything that would lessen the pressure would be welcome.