PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft quests and DCs

Adurna
01-25-2018, 07:33 AM
Hi,

taking advantage of the downtime, I thought I'd ask about an issue that has been on my mind. Namely, what are the dcs for secret doors in the ravenloft quests?
I ask because last week, before undergoing an epic reincarnation, I was doing a few quests to drop a couple of items. Now, I was doing 'an invitation to dinner', and as luck would have it I got the card that would have me enter the treasury. Only I couldn't see the door. Granted, I was in on hard, but I have no doubt that even in normal I would have had the same problem.

At cap, I should be caster level 30, and with the spell I should manage a search dc of 50, unless my math is wrong. I thought that surely there must be an alternative route other than the one through the fireplace, since the quest *requires* me to go there, but I had no such luck finding it.

Now then, is there an alternate route so that someone can finish the quest without having to either invest tons of resources into the search skill or having to beg someone to come in and be a door opener for me?

And before you suggest simply reentering the quest to find a better card reading, the other quest 'raven at the door' or whatever it's called also requires to go through there with what I assume is the same DC (I tried and was unsuccesfull, so either way higher than 50).

MeliCat
01-25-2018, 08:57 AM
oh? I was surprised the other day the other way - as in I was told that the exit was going to be the fireplace. As I was late, way below level, and too scared to adventure to find the others hanging around near the end, I wandered over to the fireplace expecting to have no hope whatsoever of the search, only this time to my surprise I could actually search the door. Wondering if that was for real the next one I could search also... and, despite knowing that it would likely activate the ghosts in there, I could search the next also.

(At which point ofc the ghosts activated, and I ran madly for the steps but couldn't get out fast enough before they killed me. And then of course the rest of the party turned up, laughed at my shiny soulstone and dragged it to the shrine just beyond there).

So for me I know that my DC was way lower than needed and yet it still worked - I assumed it was because the card order had made it mandatory.

So, just to be specific, you had done the first 2 cards and then you tried going through the treasury?

Steelstar
01-25-2018, 10:04 AM
Hi,

taking advantage of the downtime, I thought I'd ask about an issue that has been on my mind. Namely, what are the dcs for secret doors in the ravenloft quests?
I ask because last week, before undergoing an epic reincarnation, I was doing a few quests to drop a couple of items. Now, I was doing 'an invitation to dinner', and as luck would have it I got the card that would have me enter the treasury. Only I couldn't see the door. Granted, I was in on hard, but I have no doubt that even in normal I would have had the same problem.

At cap, I should be caster level 30, and with the spell I should manage a search dc of 50, unless my math is wrong. I thought that surely there must be an alternative route other than the one through the fireplace, since the quest *requires* me to go there, but I had no such luck finding it.

Now then, is there an alternate route so that someone can finish the quest without having to either invest tons of resources into the search skill or having to beg someone to come in and be a door opener for me?

And before you suggest simply reentering the quest to find a better card reading, the other quest 'raven at the door' or whatever it's called also requires to go through there with what I assume is the same DC (I tried and was unsuccesfull, so either way higher than 50).

Had you already spoken to Ezmerelda? If the quest requires you to go through that hidden door, talking to her should reduce the DC for finding it. (And tell you that it's been reduced, in big yellow letters beneath her dialogue.)

MeliCat
01-25-2018, 10:09 AM
Had you already spoken to Ezmerelda? If the quest requires you to go through that hidden door, talking to her should reduce the DC for finding it. (And tell you that it's been reduced, in big yellow letters beneath her dialogue.)

sheesh Steel... you're expecting me to *read* in game instructions? :D :D

(and yes I deserve every wrong term, bad choice and failed exploration for being so slack :D )

Adurna
01-25-2018, 10:16 AM
I'm afraid I don't much remember the order of things. I'll have to try some more once I hit level 30 again.

However, I'm quite sure I had the same problem with that door in 'A raven at the door' and as far as I know there is no Esmeralda there...

Even if I'm imagining things, I'd still like to know the DC to see if it's something I can achieve. It would still come in handy for optionals and shortcuts.

Spadedragon
01-25-2018, 10:28 AM
On 'A Raven At The Door' since the fireplace secret door is required to finish the quest the dc is much lower than normal. When this same door is optional, the dc is much higher.

SisAmethyst
01-25-2018, 12:17 PM
On 'A Raven At The Door' since the fireplace secret door is required to finish the quest the dc is much lower than normal. When this same door is optional, the dc is much higher.

At least for 'An Invitation to Dinner (http://ddowiki.com/page/An_Invitation_to_Dinner)' and 'A Raven at the Door (http://ddowiki.com/page/A_Raven_at_the_Door)' I now added the reference to the DC tables for Traps, Locks and Secret doors into the Wiki (http://ddowiki.com/), so that the community can start determining the DCs. Have to do that for the other quests too...

PsychoBlonde
01-25-2018, 12:30 PM
At least for 'A Raven at the Door' I now added the reference to the DC tables for Traps, Locks and Secret doors into the Wiki (http://ddowiki.com/page/A_Raven_at_the_Door), so that the community can start determining the DCs. Have to do that for the other quests too...

Heh, sadly my main is useless for this, because you'd get something like "147 works" . . . helpful XD

I'm leveling an alt who also does traps, so with any luck that'll help.

Engoril
01-26-2018, 06:59 AM
Even if I'm imagining things, I'd still like to know the DC to see if it's something I can achieve. It would still come in handy for optionals and shortcuts.

In my experience, on elite I have found them all with search 75-79. I've not got the exact number pinned, there appear to be 2 slightly different secret door DC because sometimes I need to use greater heroism to succeed, but usually I do not. Hard does not appear to be much easier, maybe 2 less, not sure. There is a secret door in either death house or invitation to dinner (I cannot remember which it was) that I found yesterday, that needed exactly 75 search on hard.

I am using a class that doesn't get search as a career skill. I cannot remember if I actually put any points into either. I have in the past put a few in, but don't think I bothered this life. Some enhancements I took may have boosted it in passing. What I do have is two items, both cannith crafted, one gives 15 int and 7 insightful int (for +11 to search) and another that gives search 22 and 11 insightful search. Together those items give +44 to search and +4 from greater heroisim makes 48. If you are level 30 you will have at least 10 levels in search (unless your int is below 10). So you only need another 17 from whatever bonuses you can find to reach 75, some classes and races will do it easier than others.