PDA

View Full Version : Returned player from long ago, very confused

vilhazarog
01-19-2018, 03:37 PM
So I wanted to come back and check things out again, but I am very confused how to get started:

1) I have a lvl 20 dwarf cleric, a level 16 WF Wiz 14, Rog 2, and a low level drow twf paladin
Apparently I will need to LR all of them, they were all created before epic destinies and the biggest change seems to be enhancements
Any advice on the cleric? Can someone point me to a good dwarf pure cleric build?
The wiz/rog was one of these that could do traps, self heal, remember having a lot of fun with that one, advice on how to rebuild him would also be appreciated

2) Any idea what happened to my shields? They've vanished.

3) Looking at the build threads seems like no one takes the Toughness feat anymore, and it used to be everyone took toughness, what happened?

4) I've lost my premium status... saw this has happened to other people, submitted a ticket.

5) My dwarf has some green steel goggles, is green steel still a thing or has everyone moved on? At the time the shroud is what everyone did end game.

6) Any other advice?

Impaqt
01-19-2018, 03:59 PM
So I wanted to come back and check things out again, but I am very confused how to get started:

1) I have a lvl 20 dwarf cleric, a level 16 WF Wiz 14, Rog 2, and a low level drow twf paladin
Apparently I will need to LR all of them, they were all created before epic destinies and the biggest change seems to be enhancements
Any advice on the cleric? Can someone point me to a good dwarf pure cleric build?
The wiz/rog was one of these that could do traps, self heal, remember having a lot of fun with that one, advice on how to rebuild him would also be appreciated

3) Looking at the build threads seems like no one takes the Toughness feat anymore, and it used to be everyone took toughness, what happened?

4) I've lost my premium status... saw this has happened to other people, submitted a ticket.

5) My dwarf has some green steel goggles, is green steel still a thing or has everyone moved on? At the time the shroud is what everyone did end game.

6) Any other advice?

None of those characters would actually have any Epic destinies yet. You can continue playing them from where you left off with no trouble. Note that destinies need to be purchased though. they arent free.
Enhancements can be reset easily.

The cleric should have a free LR heart. they reason to use it would be to gain your domain and associated abilities.

2: nothing happened to shields.

3: Touchness used to be required to take Toughness enhancements. Its not anymore so is a very poor return in investment nowadays. the feat needs to be updated desperatly.

4: N/a

5: I still use mine on all my characters from level 11- 18ish at least. Some use them into epics still.

Greantun
01-19-2018, 04:05 PM

6) Any other advice?

Welcome Back!

1) You could, instead of LR, TR those that are 20 and start over, might be better to relearn the gameplay.
2) Nope
3) They added automatic feats that give you extra XP Heroic Durability and Improved Heroic Durability http://ddowiki.com/page/Feats#Free_passive_feats
4) Good
5) I still use my GS cloak and necklace until much later in my lives, and my GS weapons until something better is found
6) Have fun!

unbongwah
01-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Welcome back, OP. :)

First off, I recommend you bookmark / check out the Build Repository (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470423-Build-Repository).

Depends: what sort of cleric do you want to play? Biggest cleric-specific changes in the last few years were the addition of new deities and domains (http://ddowiki.com/page/Domain) were finally implemented. I've started assembling a list of cleric builds (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/490080-Adventures-in-Theorycrafting-Messing-with-Domains) since domains came out.

In Ye Olden Days, you needed the Toughness feat to take the various class / race Toughness enhancements, which was a fairly cheap way of adding extra HPs. Since then, the pre-req was dropped and there has been waaaay more power creep in terms of how many extra HPs you can get from gear etc., rendering the Toughness feat itself basically moot.

For heroics, GS gear is definitely still valuable, so if you want to run a bunch of heroic (http://ddowiki.com/page/Heroic_True_Reincarnation) or racial (http://ddowiki.com/page/Racial_Reincarnation) PLs, it's definitely worth holding onto. In epic levels you'll replace it with better gear inc. Legendary GS (http://ddowiki.com/page/Legendary_Green_Steel_items).

Niminae
01-21-2018, 01:28 PM
1) You could, instead of LR, TR those that are 20 and start over, might be better to relearn the gameplay.

This is good advice. TR your L20 Cleric and pick up a Heroic Past life and get to rebuild the character to work well with the current meta all in one stroke. With the L18 character you can suffer through 2 levels and then TR it as well.

Melee Cleric is not a strong build, and especially not for a pure class Cleric build. The Warpriest enhancement tree is a very poor one for melee, and even the addition of a couple melee focused Domains didn't change the bar by much. Mix in about 5 levels of Fighter and/or Paladin and it can become tolerable.

vilhazarog
01-21-2018, 07:28 PM
This is good advice. TR your L20 Cleric and pick up a Heroic Past life and get to rebuild the character to work well with the current meta all in one stroke. With the L18 character you can suffer through 2 levels and then TR it as well.

Melee Cleric is not a strong build, and especially not for a pure class Cleric build. The Warpriest enhancement tree is a very poor one for melee, and even the addition of a couple melee focused Domains didn't change the bar by much. Mix in about 5 levels of Fighter and/or Paladin and it can become tolerable.

Before I can TR I need to grind out another 15 epic tokens though. Unless there is an easier way to TR?

I went ahead and LR'd into the "newbie necro cleric" build with death domain and DD and RS enhancements for now, I have a number of LR hearts.

Tom116
01-22-2018, 06:36 AM
Before I can TR I need to grind out another 15 epic tokens though. Unless there is an easier way to TR?

I went ahead and LR'd into the "newbie necro cleric" build with death domain and DD and RS enhancements for now, I have a number of LR hearts.

The only one to TR is through Epic Tokens or buying the Heroic True Heart of Wood outright from the DDO Store. The tokens drop quite well from Epic Elite quests though, and Devil Assault drops them just as well on Epic Normal. If you open an LFM asking people to pass tokens, you can often get 5+ per run :)

Greantun
01-22-2018, 06:46 AM
The only one to TR is through Epic Tokens or buying the Heroic True Heart of Wood outright from the DDO Store. The tokens drop quite well from Epic Elite quests though, and Devil Assault drops them just as well on Epic Normal. If you open an LFM asking people to pass tokens, you can often get 5+ per run :)

FYI,

They are no longer called Epic Tokens, they are called Tokens of the Twelve.

You also can get fragments of them by running the Lords of Dust chain. Usually there is an LFM up for that.

Swimms
01-22-2018, 06:59 AM

As a recently returned player who last played in 2010 when the level cap was 20 and epics and enhancements did not exist, my only advice is to stick with it. I was so overwhelmed at first about what and how to build a character in the "modern" DDO. Not to mention I had about 10 hot bars with a myriad of icons and clickies what I had no clue as to what their original purpose was. Starting fresh with a heroic TR on your cleric would be a great way to go if you can grind out the tokens. You may find you have token fragments and or greater tokens of the 12 depending on what you ran before you stopped playing that can be converted into tokens of the 12. There is a small but dedicated group of players that seem more than happy to help with new/returning player advice as evidence from this thread. Stick with it and try not to get overwhelmed as you relearn the game.

Don't forget the wiki, 99% of your questions can be answered there.

C-Dog
01-23-2018, 02:36 AM
Before I can TR I need to grind out another 15 epic tokens though.
Meh, that's fast enough. Spies, Devil Assault, some others are usually found as daily LFM runs. Easy.

And not "Epic" tokens (or Greater, as they are now called), just regular old ToT's.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Token_of_the_Twelve#Tokens_of_the_Twelve

Niminae
01-23-2018, 03:20 AM
Meh, that's fast enough. Spies, Devil Assault, some others are usually found as daily LFM runs. Easy.

And not "Epic" tokens (or Greater, as they are now called), just regular old ToT's.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Token_of_the_Twelve#Tokens_of_the_Twelve

Aside from the quests already mentioned, Lords of Dust is a very fast to run quest with a pile of collectables and I think the Token of the Twelve is guaranteed. Many also do Devil Assault, and the best Tokens there come oddly enough from EN. It's a bit dull since you can typically kill the devil waves with ease before the next one comes. But you can post a LFM with something like "Pikers welcome, please pass Tokens if you can" and you might get some people who will pass to you.

Also check your green bag using 'Twelve' and you can convert 100 Fragments of a Token of the Twelve into 1 Token at Lahar in the Twelve enclave. And 1 Greater Token to 1 Token, but it takes 5 of those to make a Voice of the Master augment so you might want to hold on to a few Greaters for that purpose.

Arianrhod
01-23-2018, 01:56 PM
Personally, I'd start by playing around some with that low level drow (or starting a brand new character), just to get a feel for "how things are now" before doing anything with the higher level characters. After all, you could find yourself wanting to feed all your old named items to a sentient jewel once you get a few randomly generated new items ;)

vilhazarog
01-24-2018, 01:57 PM

Anyone know how long this takes? I haven't got a response and I'm still set to free, and now I am remembering that I had a half-orc barb that was holding some of my stuff in that 4th slot.

Xgemina
01-24-2018, 02:36 PM
Anyone know how long this takes? I haven't got a response and I'm still set to free, and now I am remembering that I had a half-orc barb that was holding some of my stuff in that 4th slot.

I did this recently and it took 12 days, but that was over the holidays (submitted it 12/22) so I would guess a week-ish.

vilhazarog
01-26-2018, 12:57 PM
I did this recently and it took 12 days, but that was over the holidays (submitted it 12/22) so I would guess a week-ish.

Took little over a week, but all resolved now.

CSQ
01-29-2018, 09:49 AM

Doing an epic normal Devil Assault awards two tokens per day usually. Sometimes you'll only get one drop, but usually two. If it's all you do at epic, it takes about a week and a half to get enough tokens (and you can run other epic content to make that faster; I usually run some Phiarlan stuff but that's not optimal) to TR and you'll earn okay experience towards an epic destiny doing this. Don't run Devil Assault on hard or elite, since it will reward fewer tokens (the normal drop rate is actually because of some weird bug, never been fixed) and take longer.

cestvel
01-29-2018, 11:30 AM
Doing an epic normal Devil Assault awards two tokens per day usually. Sometimes you'll only get one drop, but usually two. If it's all you do at epic, it takes about a week and a half to get enough tokens (and you can run other epic content to make that faster; I usually run some Phiarlan stuff but that's not optimal) to TR and you'll earn okay experience towards an epic destiny doing this. Don't run Devil Assault on hard or elite, since it will reward fewer tokens (the normal drop rate is actually because of some weird bug, never been fixed) and take longer.

You get tokens every run. Not counting ransacking, though.

Matuse
01-29-2018, 11:43 AM
I just did a series of 10-12 days of doing EH Devil Assault every day with a second box looter to pass tokens. I did NOT get one every time. Usually you get 1 full token and 20-40 fragments in an EH run, but there were a few times where it was just the fragment and no full token.

C-Dog
01-29-2018, 03:17 PM
Most players do this EN, and most all(?) get a token. Not saying it's impossible for less, but from what I've seen it'd be exceptional bad luck. But I can't say I've stopped and done a detailed survey every time, either. :/

I just did a series of 10-12 days of doing EH Devil Assault every day ... I did NOT get one every time...
Is it possible you were approaching ransack? ToT's will stop dropping, just like (most) other named loot.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Chest_ransack (see near bottom of article)

Matuse
01-29-2018, 04:20 PM
Not ransack, because the lack of token happened to one character and not the other, and they only run it together. Plus I missed a day in there.

vilhazarog
01-29-2018, 06:09 PM

Not ransack, because the lack of token happened to one character and not the other, and they only run it together. Plus I missed a day in there.

Seems like your mistake was running it on hard instead of normal and so you weren't taking advantage of the bug to get the extra token?

Whitering
01-30-2018, 11:35 AM

I run DA every day with 2 accounts, and I can say this with near 100% certainty. On Epic Normal you get 2 tokens or 1 and a Shard of varying strength. I have run the Vale raid maybe twice but I have made 3 greensteel items just from running DA.

C-Dog
01-30-2018, 03:44 PM
Ummm... confused by this.

If both are always running together, then they both are accumulating the same ransack value on those chests. Ransack is incremental - % return gets lowered before it becomes "zero". If the % < 100% but > 0% , then it could happen to neither, one, or both.

Ransack is based on runs over a 7-day period, so missing 1 day is irrelevant. (See article linked above for full explanation.)

From what you're describing so far, (partial) ransack is a very real possibility.

Whitering
01-30-2018, 05:37 PM
Ummm... confused by this.

If both are always running together, then they both are accumulating the same ransack value on those chests. Ransack is incremental - % return gets lowered before it becomes "zero". If the % < 100% but > 0% , then it could happen to neither, one, or both.

Ransack is based on runs over a 7-day period, so missing 1 day is irrelevant. (See article linked above for full explanation.)

From what you're describing so far, (partial) ransack is a very real possibility.

Also it is possible to get two shards and no tokens.

I have rerolled normal shards before and a token is what replaced them in every instance except the one time I got a Supreme Shard instead. Of course, if he was ransacked this is all elementary but then again the game tells you if you have ransacked the chest.

Let`s look at what I experienced yesterday in Enter the Mists. Normally you get one Visanti token every run, I was in there for named items, of which I only got one, and I ran until it gave me the ransack warning an no token. I am nearly positive that was run 9.

So, I think you can start tailing off at 9, with 10 being your last gasp of real loot before empty chest. So, maybe if he was on 9 he would not get a token just like I did not on run 9, and I did get the notice that I had ransacked the chest, and I think I could have run it one more time, but decided to complete the quests (I was recalling and restarting the quest).

Once you are ransacked you get zilch, empty chest, but based on what happened last night I think there is a ransack stage, less loot and a warning at 9 and 10, after that nothing.

Matuse
01-30-2018, 07:56 PM

Missing a day is entirely relevant, since instead of 7 chest pulls in 7 days it's only 6 and there's no possibility whatsoever of hitting ransack.

I don't believe ransack is my issue, I think it just doesn't drop a token every single time. Most times? Yes. Every time? No.

kendo
01-31-2018, 08:48 AM
Missing a day is entirely relevant, since instead of 7 chest pulls in 7 days it's only 6 and there's no possibility whatsoever of hitting ransack.

I don't believe ransack is my issue, I think it just doesn't drop a token every single time. Most times? Yes. Every time? No.

I run DA almost every day to build up a stash of tokens and, while I haven't kept a detailed log, I would estimate that I see 1 token between the two chests at least 70 - 80% of the time, 2 tokens maybe 15 - 20 % of the time and zero tokens around 5 - 10% of the time. the odds of getting two tokens seems to be higher than getting zero.

always run on Normal as that definitely drops full tokens more often than higher levels, so it's also a very easy run to wrap up the day's session. just wish they would add a way to speed up the next wave, like the bell in Breaking the Ranks :)

Whitering
01-31-2018, 11:26 AM
I run DA almost every day to build up a stash of tokens and, while I haven't kept a detailed log, I would estimate that I see 1 token between the two chests at least 70 - 80% of the time, 2 tokens maybe 15 - 20 % of the time and zero tokens around 5 - 10% of the time. the odds of getting two tokens seems to be higher than getting zero.

always run on Normal as that definitely drops full tokens more often than higher levels, so it's also a very easy run to wrap up the day's session. just wish they would add a way to speed up the next wave, like the bell in Breaking the Ranks :)

Oh god this...the run could be 5 minutes instead it`s like hard coded to be close to 25

cestvel
01-31-2018, 11:37 AM

My experience is on EN which has a better droprate on Tokens anyways. And I got at least one, but mostly two tokens. Though I only ran it three times in a row to help guilies out.

Stoner81
01-31-2018, 03:59 PM
I just did a series of 10-12 days of doing EH Devil Assault every day with a second box looter to pass tokens. I did NOT get one every time. Usually you get 1 full token and 20-40 fragments in an EH run, but there were a few times where it was just the fragment and no full token.

There is your problem, running it on EH. Running on EN has the best drop rates for full tokens.

Stoner81.

Gremmlynn
02-01-2018, 12:54 AM
I just did a series of 10-12 days of doing EH Devil Assault every day with a second box looter to pass tokens. I did NOT get one every time. Usually you get 1 full token and 20-40 fragments in an EH run, but there were a few times where it was just the fragment and no full token.EH (or even EE) is the wrong difficulty for token farming there. EN has the best token drops in DA for some odd reason.

Whitering
02-01-2018, 12:01 PM
EH (or even EE) is the wrong difficulty for token farming there. EN has the best token drops in DA for some odd reason.

I mean the DDO Wiki states it clearly...