PDA

View Full Version : idea about older weapons.

bloodnose13
01-17-2018, 06:38 PM
there is a lot of weapons that are older, however they lose in the weapons rat race becouse of their lower +w bonuses, there is lot of rare weapons that could shine for much longer if just they could have dice that would scale, so here is an idea:

new feat, HEROIC POWER, similar as the hp granting one, this one however would grant a NON STACKING +w bonus every 5 levels, by level 20 every weapon held would be 2w, then in epic levels they could go as high as 5w by level 30, since it would not stack with the natural bonus of the weapon it would not create any power creep, and would revive lot of weapons that get thrown aside just becouse their dice is getting too low.

Tom116
01-17-2018, 07:57 PM
there is a lot of weapons that are older, however they lose in the weapons rat race becouse of their lower +w bonuses, there is lot of rare weapons that could shine for much longer if just they could have dice that would scale, so here is an idea:

new feat, HEROIC POWER, similar as the hp granting one, this one however would grant a NON STACKING +w bonus every 5 levels, by level 20 every weapon held would be 2w, then in epic levels they could go as high as 5w by level 30, since it would not stack with the natural bonus of the weapon it would not create any power creep, and would revive lot of weapons that get thrown aside just becouse their dice is getting too low.

It's a cool idea, but I think it's too much of a generalization to have all the older weapons being hit by this. Sure, there's the vast majority that are at best jewel food. But then imagine a Carnifex with a couple extra +W's? Might be better to have work done on a more individual level, but then that would be a lot of man hours so they'd have to charge for it. People would be upset they were working on updating weapons instead of making actual new content, and it would basically be another grind for the devs. They already need to finish the class updates which have been going on for years, there's still ED's that need love too.

bloodnose13
01-18-2018, 09:42 PM
It's a cool idea, but I think it's too much of a generalization to have all the older weapons being hit by this. Sure, there's the vast majority that are at best jewel food. But then imagine a Carnifex with a couple extra +W's? Might be better to have work done on a more individual level, but then that would be a lot of man hours so they'd have to charge for it. People would be upset they were working on updating weapons instead of making actual new content, and it would basically be another grind for the devs. They already need to finish the class updates which have been going on for years, there's still ED's that need love too.

i think thats exactly the beauty of this idea, even a weapon from heroic levels would have good enough dice to be used in epic levels, does not mean effects on the wepaon would not be weak, but weapon itself would be proper. not to go that low but think of the old epic weapons, sword of shadow? sirocco? midnight greetings? they would/could go back into action easly with that, and in heroic levels there are also weapons that get old way too fast by them simply getting outclassed by new content weapons.

Arch-Necromancer
01-21-2018, 05:31 AM
Why not just update old weapons with new stats, like it has been done with Sharn and Red Fens?

Now that we have Sentient weapons, maybe Epic weapons could get a priority and be updated first so we get a wider choice of weapons for Sentience.

hinton
01-21-2018, 09:57 AM
It's my understanding (maybe I'm wrong) that the old items were hard coded in so you can't just change them without causing issues down the line.

As far as epic vs. heroic I feel on Cannith at least the number of 1-19's are equal to the 20-30's (wish who gave a number)and the heroic gear is the more dated of the two groups as a whole.

bloodnose13
01-21-2018, 03:28 PM
Why not just update old weapons with new stats, like it has been done with Sharn and Red Fens?

Now that we have Sentient weapons, maybe Epic weapons could get a priority and be updated first so we get a wider choice of weapons for Sentience.

it should be done, but thats not realy the point of the idea i posted, point is to extend the life and usefulness of the weapons. there is a lot of weapons that lose their appeal just becouse there is a 1 or 2 levels higher weapon that will just outclass it in a dice regard, there are weapons that are nice and unique but due to the dice diffrence they lose against new.

frankly this idea would affect all weapons at once, as oposed to getting a set of updated weapons once or twice a year... in that regard it would be faster and easier, IF its possible.

It's my understanding (maybe I'm wrong) that the old items were hard coded in so you can't just change them without causing issues down the line.

As far as epic vs. heroic I feel on Cannith at least the number of 1-19's are equal to the 20-30's (wish who gave a number)and the heroic gear is the more dated of the two groups as a whole.

if it was same effect, in a form of feat that would override the weapon +W bonus, then no changes to weapons themselves would be needed.

hinton
01-21-2018, 07:36 PM
Most of the issues with the older weapons is not the +w or die on the base damage. Most of the problems are the scaled elemental effects.

bloodnose13
01-26-2018, 08:58 PM
Most of the issues with the older weapons is not the +w or die on the base damage. Most of the problems are the scaled elemental effects.

true, but there are some weapons that are unique and would perform good, if not the fact their dice falls so much behind the high level weapons, think of all those old epic weapons? or those from lolth raid? or those painfuly crafted from cannith raids? fact is those weapons lose in power to RANDOM WEAPONS just in few levels.

as i see it, touching up all weapons in ddo that fall behind 1 by 1 will take long time, and im not sure devs would even care to, but change like this would affect all weapons at same time. by simply affecting the weapon your character holds.