PDA

View Full Version : Alignment - important or not?

thkn777
01-12-2018, 10:44 AM
Hello,
so I created a few characters to see how I like them. Then I noticed, that I didn't really pay attention to the alignment.

Question:
Does the alignment plays a role in the game? Can you kinda "destroy" your char just because you pick the "wrong" alignment?

I know alignment mostly from P&P, but what is it like in DDO?

Gahndalf
01-12-2018, 10:49 AM
certain classes are not playable with certain alignments. so if you do not pay attention to alignment, you may not be able to multiclass the way you want as some classes would be impossible.

Also there are some evil aligned weapons in the game that give good aligned players a negative level equipping.

Amundir
01-12-2018, 10:57 AM
There are also some (very few) spells that are restricted by what your alignment is. Such as:
Chaos Hammer: Cannot be case by lawful characters
Order's Wrath: Cannot be cast by chaotic characters
Unholy Blight: Cannot be cast by good characters

Maquist
01-12-2018, 01:30 PM
There are also sometimes where having a certain alignment will open up different dialogue options, and in Prison of the Planes, there's one room that can only be completed by someone who is Lawful.

Arianrhod
01-12-2018, 02:08 PM
The class alignment restrictions are the same as in P&P 3.5:

paladins must be Lawful Good
monks must be Lawful
bards & barbarians cannot be Lawful
druids must be some form of Neutral (TN, LN, CN or NG)
not sure about warlocks, I think they have alignment restrictions for their pacts (like only Fey pact can be Good, others must be non-good)

At character creation it won't allow an alignment your character can't have, but if you plan to multiclass (as mentioned above), you'll need to make sure to take a compatible alignment (and don't plan on making a bard/paladin or barbarian/monk <g>)

Tom116
01-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Hello,
so I created a few characters to see how I like them. Then I noticed, that I didn't really pay attention to the alignment.

Question:
Does the alignment plays a role in the game? Can you kinda "destroy" your char just because you pick the "wrong" alignment?

I know alignment mostly from P&P, but what is it like in DDO?

Classes:
Barbarians and Bards cannot be Lawful.
Druids must be Neutral Good, Lawful Neutral, Chaotic Neutral, or True Neutral.
Monks must be Lawful Good or Lawful Neutral.
Paladins must be Lawful Good.

Warlock pacts:
Fey can be any alignment.
Fiend cannot be Good.
Great Old One cannot be Lawful.

As Amundir said, the "4 Alignment Spells" have a special case too. For these spells, you can't cast any you are opposite alignment to (no Chaos Hammer if Lawful, etc). Also, when being attacked with these spells your alignment comes into play; if you are the opposite alignment then the spell hits its full potential. If you are neutral in the portion of your alignment the spell cares about (ie Chaotic vs Lawful against Chaos Hammer), you only take half damage and it negates the additional effect. In addition, if you are the alignment it represents (Chaos Hammer = any Chaotic, etc), you are fully immune to the spell.

Wearing an item of opposite alignment (rare, but most common is a Taint of Evil effect) also gives you an artificial negative level permanently, until it is removed.

Those are the key things to know about alignment. There are some dialogue differences, but those are largely just for flavor. The only one I can think of off the top of my head that matters is the first "prison" in Prisoner of the Planes, where you must be Lawful to complete the room.

Hope this helps! :)

fmalfeas
01-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Also, Lawful characters are immune to Order's Wrath. Chaotic Characters are immune to Chaos Hammer. Good characters are immune to Holy Smite. And True Neutral characters take minimal effect from those while not being completely immune. And True Neutral are immune to Word of Balance.

Bards must be Chaotic.
Monks must be Lawful.
Paladins must be Lawful Good.
Druid must be something that includes Neutral.

There's an Epic Destiny ability that causes your weapons to have your alignment for purposes of DR breaking as well. So for a Lawful Good character, their weapons end up counting as Good + Lawful if they have that, even if the weapon is a masterwork club. Of course, if they're True Neutral, it has no effect at all, and is a wasted used of points.

C-Dog
01-12-2018, 03:31 PM
There are also some quests where some alignments (Good) are more susceptible to certain damage/etc.

And many weapons (even some droploot) will hand a negative level to opposed alignments.

A few items (Ring of Ancestors (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ring_of_the_Ancestors), Ring of Balance (http://ddowiki.com/page/Ring_of_Balance)) require certain alignments to (fully) function.

Sum it up, most players will choose True Neutral unless they have a very specific reason to choose something else.

thkn777
01-12-2018, 03:49 PM
Thanks for all the answers. The game picked "Lawful good" for my char (for whatever reason, maybe by accident), I'll see if I run into problems.

MacRighteous
01-12-2018, 03:56 PM
Thanks for all the answers. The game picked "Lawful good" for my char (for whatever reason, maybe by accident), I'll see if I run into problems.

OOC - what is your characters class?

thkn777
01-12-2018, 04:05 PM
OOC - what is your characters class?

Trying Artificer at the moment.

MacRighteous
01-12-2018, 04:27 PM
unless you try MCing into a restricted class you should be fine.

unbongwah
01-12-2018, 04:27 PM
In addition to everything else, Neutral-aligned characters (i.e., LN/TN/CN) are immune to Unholy damage, which starts showing up in lvl 10-ish quests / wildernesses like Demon Sands, IIRC. They also don't take a negative level when equipping evil-tainted gear such as Litany of the Dead (http://ddowiki.com/page/Item:Litany_of_the_Dead).

One minor advantage of True Neutral characters is they can use Stability items (http://ddowiki.com/page/Stability). Unfortunately devs never got around to going beyond Superior Stability (+6 to AC & saves), so it's not something you use for long (if at all).

There's also some gear with alignment restrictions, although these can usually be bypassed if you have a high enough UMD skill (http://ddowiki.com/page/Use_Magic_Device).

adrian69
03-31-2018, 01:41 AM
Bards must be Chaotic.

Had to point out that bards just can't be lawful. They can be neutral, chaotic, and or good.

Whitering
04-02-2018, 05:25 PM
I have good Use magic, which is important when neg leveled since I use Celestia, which requires good, and also before that Star of the Day, which I also have to overcome, because I am Lawful Neutral. So, it's not just for evil items, but for good items if you are neutral you may have to UMD them. Locks also have different choices based on Alignment.