PDA

View Full Version : Make Sentient Weapons Sentient: Chatbot AI's For Sentient Weapons

TheKeeper1981
12-22-2017, 11:15 PM
Heyla, all!

I think the coolest part about sentient weapons is that they're, well, sentient. The weapons talk and interact with you, have their own opinions, aren't afraid to tell you when you're slacking in your adventure work, etc. I.E.: They're your adventure companions. So why not make them true companions in DDO by giving them a semblance of sentience--one that we can directly interact and converse with--by linking each sentient jewel-type to a chatbot AI befitting the jewel-type's personality (ex: the timid jewel links to a chatbot that is very polite and shy with the player, etc.)? And before people bring up the obvious dangers of these chatbots learning naughty words and insulting phrases, there ARE ways to guard against it. The chatbot, Zo, for example, is specifically programmed not to accept such language and conversations from people, so she's very sweet and well-mannered. Standing Stone wouldn't even have to start from scratch to make AI, either: Microsoft has released Cortana's AI source code to the public (which, by the way, happens to be the basis for the code for Zo).

So what does everyone else think? I think this would be a really fun feature to have, and it would make DDO rather unique among other MMO's.

EpicWolfy
12-22-2017, 11:20 PM
I would very much like to be able to talk to my Sentient weapon! (:

Saekee
12-23-2017, 07:58 AM
I want a shortcut bar for sentient weapons just like hirelings (with ofc the option to not have the bar). Then have all sorts of fun elements on it like you say

doubledge
12-23-2017, 11:30 AM
As much as I'd love to have this, I think DDO just doesn't have the hardware to properly utilize this function. The game's already running pretty hot for the system it's running on. A chatbot might kill the hamsters running the machinery.

Not to mention that, even with the protections in place, people would still figure out how to reduce any AI into a schizophrenic mess.

dunklezhan
12-23-2017, 12:16 PM
I think perhaps you underestimate the cognitive processing load required by even those dumbass customer service company chatbots various companies have started using, never mind the processing and very specific circumstances which are put in place for the experimental learning AIs on those web experiments you've seen.

Though yeah, of course it would be nice.