PDA

View Full Version : Bards - Touchups and ideas.

TMTrainer
12-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Alright, no need for introductions, lets get to the meat. I'm not going to flavor any of this, but I just want the ideas to be out there.

Bard
Overall: All bonuses granted by playing songs stack with everything (unique bonus), including bonuses granted by enhancements.

Swashbuckler

Cores -
Core 1: Fine
Core 2: Fine
Core 3: Fine
Core 4: Fine
Core 5: Fine
Core 6:
Move: While Swashbuckling, you gain the Evasion feat, down to core 4 (level 12).
New: Depending on your offhand, you gain a special effect.
--- Orb: You deal bonus Sonic Damage equal to 2d6 + orb's enhancement level. Your orb benefits from your swashbuckler core abilities that improve weapon enhancement level and is considered an implement for you. You also gain +1 all DCs.
--- Runearm: You gain the Rune Arm Use feat, scaling with your bard level. You have a chance to fire a level 1 charge version of your rune arm without interrupting your current rune arm charge when you attack.
--- Nothing: You gain an additional +1 weapon damage per 5 character levels, and an additional 10% doublestrike/shot.
--- Buckler: You gain 10% dodge, and +25% shield bash chance. When the shield bash is successful, enemies must make a (10 + 1/2 Perform + d20 save) or be knocked down.

Tier 1
Blow by Blow:
New: Scales with spellpower (apparently bugged currently).
Tier 2
Fine
Tier 3
Different Tack:
New: Now gives [stat] to hit.
Tier 4
Fine
Tier 5
Coup de Grace:
New: If an uninstakillable mob fails the save, the attack is an automatic crit and the attack is improved by +50 melee power.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
Spellsinger
Core 1: Core 6 now also grants +1 to the DCs of Enchantment, Evocation, and Illusion spells (as per the bonus of core 1)
Core 3: Fine
Core 5: Fine
Core 6: Fine

Tier 1
Fine
Tier 2
Marigold Crown:
Modified: You can now put 6 total points into this ability, letting you to take each individual crown.
Tier 3
Fine
Tier 4
Frolic:
Modified: When you sing a Song of Freedom on an ally, they gain a Freedom of Movement based on your caster level.
Tier 5
Spell Song Vigor:
Modified: Boosted by positive heal amplification.
Horn of Thunder:
Modified: Blast your foes with 1d6 Sonic and 1d6 Electric damage per caster level. Sonic damage is doubled vs. Oozes, as the thunderous pressure disrupts their amorphous structure. Creatures making a Reflex save take half damage. Max caster level: 25. Affects liches.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ________
Warchanter
Core 1: Fine
Core 3:
Modified: Song of Heroism now provides fear immunity as per the normal spell effects.
Core 5:
Moved: You have Base Attack Bonus equal to your character level moved to core 4:
Core 6:
Modified: When you Inspire Heroics, for 120 seconds the targeted ally gains +5 Unique Music bonus to Attack, +5 Music bonus to Damage, +15 Music bonus to Physical and Magical Resistance and +15% Music bonus to resist Acid, Cold, Electric, and Fire damage, +15 melee and ranged power and +30 spell power.
New: The cooldown on your Spinning Ice is reduced by 10 seconds, and the spellpoint cost of the Frozen Fury and Spinning Ice is reduced to 0.

Tier 1
Enchant Weapons
Modifed: You can now put 6 points into this enhancements, which grants the following.
--- 2 AP, if you are Bard level 1, you get an Enchant Weapons SLA.
--- 2 AP, if you are Bard level 4, you get an Elemental Weapons SLA.
--- 2 AP, if you are Bard level 7, you get an Adamantine Weapons SLA.
Tier 2
Arcane Shield Chant
Modified: Now grants 2/4/6% as opposed to 2/4/6 flat all resistance.
Iced Edges
Modified: Now deals, 1/2/3d6 cold damage, scaling with spell power.
Action Boost Sprint
Replaced: With Rallying Cry action boost (see above)
Tier 3
Ironskin Chant
Modified: You and nearby allies gain DR (2/4/6) and (2/4/6) Music bonus to PRR and MRR. Your party's AC is increased by 1/3/5%.
The Frozen Fury
New: When using a 2 handed weapon and successfully hit with The Frozen Fury, you deal an additional 1d2 cold damage per bard level to all enemies around you (exactly like Eldritch Strike (this is on top of it's current functionality). When a frozen enemy dies it also produces this effect and this damage scales with spell power.
Tier 4
Northwind
Modified: On vorpal hit, your enemy is briefly frozen. No save. This effect triggers at most once every (30/20/10) seconds. Bosses cannot be frozen. Applies Frozen Fury's new functionality when the Frozen enemy dies.
Reckless Chant:
Modified: You and nearby allies gain +(3/6/10) Music bonus to universal Spell Power, Doublestrike and Doubleshot, but lose 1/3/5 AC.
Tier 5
Movement Booster
Modified: Now only Expeditious Chant. Rallying Cry lowered to T2.
Chant of Power
Modified: You and nearby allies gain +0.5[W], 5/10/15 Music bonus to melee power and ranged power, 2/4/6% spell critical chance, and 5/10/15% spell critical damage.
Howl of the North
New: Now grants +1 bonus to crit threat range, doubled for 2 handed weapons on top of it's old functionality.
Spinning Ice:
New: When using a 2 handed weapon and successfully hit with Spinning Ice, you deal an additional (1d4 + 1) cold damage per bard level to all enemies around you exactly like Eldritch Strike (this is on top of it's current functionality). When an frozen enemy dies it also produces this effect and this damage scales with spell power.

edrein
12-24-2017, 04:18 AM
These are all great, you've managed to highlight some of the outdated portions of each tree and give them a gentle nudge to be a bit more modern. Especially love the changes to the Swashbuckle capstone as that makes a lot more sense. Dropping the evasion and BAB bonuses to 12 also help a lot. Overall great changes. My only gripe is changing Howl of the North. As it stands currently it actually stacks with swashbuckler stance. Making it the premium SWF DPS t5. As you can combine it with Perfect SWF and get insane numbers on a 19-20 roll.

Tom116
12-24-2017, 01:06 PM
Looks good :)
Unless I missed it though, why not crit multiplier in Warchanter? Only giving +1 (or 2 with 2 handed) range is nice, but most physical attackers get +1/+1 to stay competitive.

I'd also much prefer they catch up the classes that are more outdated (druid/arti, sorc/wiz a bit too) first before giving bard a second run through of buffs. That way druids can be good without doing the TWF/SWF bug lol

TMTrainer
12-24-2017, 03:24 PM
Looks good :)
Unless I missed it though, why not crit multiplier in Warchanter? Only giving +1 (or 2 with 2 handed) range is nice, but most physical attackers get +1/+1 to stay competitive.

I'd also much prefer they catch up the classes that are more outdated (druid/arti, sorc/wiz a bit too) first before giving bard a second run through of buffs. That way druids can be good without doing the TWF/SWF bug lol

My goal with these changes was not to make Bard the best, just nudge them up. If I wasn't clear in my description, Howl of the North gives both it's old "+1 multi on 19-20" as well as the changes I suggested, "1 crit range, doubled for 2h weapons". I know it's not as good as +1 multi, but Bard gets a bunch of other stuff other than DPS (I especially wanted to underball the suggestions I made with the changes I made to Chant of Power and Reckless Chant).

They may not output the best single target with the changes I made, but a Spinning Ice build would probably be really strong for CC and AoE damage.

Edit: Also, I agree. I might post a list of changes for Druid as well as it really rubs me the wrong way that Druid is only 'viable' in a lot of player's eyes if they use TWF/SWF.

SoVeryBelgian
12-28-2017, 10:57 PM
http://i68.tinypic.com/14lu3i9.png

I rearranged the tree to waste slightly less SP and allow for what you all described as "One-Stop Shopping" in a bardsong, collecting all the buffs so you don't have so many clickies that people will not wait for.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/492334-Bard-songs <<

-

I also changed Spellsong Trance to an innate ability that augments your Inspire Courage and lasts as long as that does. I don't feel like it's too OP with only a 10% discount, but if the length of the song was a worry, you could reduce it to 5%. Spellsong Vigor is still SINGLE-TARGET though, but it also lasts longer.

Core Tier :

I'd leave em untouched, except adding +1 Caster Level / Max Caster Level for Enchant Spells at Capstone, replacing Song of Arcane Might, which felt like a waste of AP.

Tier 1 :

Song of Arcane Possibility - Toggle - While Active, your Songs gain 5% Additional Duration and your Universal Spellpower is increased by +15. Allows you to retain all changes to Inspire Courage. **

Rest of these are the same.

Tier 2 :

Flicker - Changed to be either 3/5/7% Morale bonus to avoid physical hits (Stacks with Blur, Displacement, and Lesser Displacement) for the group, or 10% Permanent Ghostly for Yourself. **

Haunted Notes - Changed to be 2 AP instead of 3, Now when you use Enthrall or Fascinate, Mobs take a stacking -2 to all saves.

Tier 3 :

Elemental Herald - Either 3/5/7% Stacking Morale Bonus to Absorb Energy for the group, or 10% Stacking Absorb Energy for Yourself. **

Enthrall is the same, Spell Penetration is now just for the caster, not the group, +3 Spell Pen for 3 AP. Rest is the same.

Tier 4 :

Raucous Refrain - Changed to either +(x)Save for the group with Sleep Spells, Exhaustion, Paralysis and Energy Drain, or twice that amount for Yourself. **

Spellsong Trance - Now Innate, 5% reduction in Spell Cost while Inspire Courage Lasts. **

Tier 5 :

Only thing I'd change is maybe make Prodigy less costly, 2 AP for +2 Enchant DC, +1 Caster Level / Max Caster Level all Spells. And make Horn of Thunder a slower cooldown, and more powerful.