PDA

View Full Version : Ravenloft Expansion Preview #3

Cocomajobo
11-30-2017, 02:01 PM
(EDIT: This third preview for the Ravenloft Expansion has concluded. Thank you to all those who came out and gave us feedback and bug reports! There are, at this time, no further previews planned before release of the expansion. We are very excited for the live release. =])

The third preview of the Ravenloft expansion is now live. This preview includes the vast majority of the expansion features, including the Baba Lysaga Raid which will be releasing in a patch AFTER the rest of the expansion launches, and a large swath of systems changes based on feedback from the first two previews. This third preview is expected to run until sometime on Monday December 4th.

If you find any bugs or issues we would love if you could submit reports here (https://help.standingstonegames.com/hc/en-us/requests/new).

Links to individual feedback threads:

Landscape and Quests (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/491896-Ravenloft-Expansion-Preview-3-Quests-and-Landscape)
Raids (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/491897-Ravenloft-Expansion-Preview-3-Raids)
Loot (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/491898-Ravenloft-Expansion-Preview-3-Loot)
Sentient Weapons (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/491899-Ravenloft-Expansion-Preview-3-Sentient-Weapons)

Some features that are in this preview for the first time include:

The Raid "Old Baba Hut" which will release to live in a patch AFTER the rest of Ravenloft launches.
The Ravenloft Saga (With both the Heroic and Legendary Saga NPC's residing in the Blood on the Vine Tavern in Barovia)
Keepers of the Feather Favor and favor rewards:

Tier 1: A Feat that grants +2 Saves against Undead.
Tier 2: A Small Augment Bag
Tier 3: Access to the Vistani Knife Fighter Universal Enhancement Tree to that character. (This is not an account wide unlock. It is a per character unlock.)

A wide swath of Named Loot changes details of which can be found in the Loot thread.
A few completely new Named Items such as a Quiver and A Left Handed Hand Axe details of which can be found in the Loot Thread.
Sentient Weapons voices that comment on your situation from time to time.
Targeted new Set Bonus effects for Sentient Filigree sets details of which can be found in the Sentient Weapons thread.
The Bottle of Mist item which has the following effects:

If you have not played the intro quest "Into the Mists": Teleports you to the entrance to Ravenloft in House Jorasco
If you have played the intro quest "Into the Mists": Teleports you to the Blood on the Vine Tavern within Barovia
There are two new statistics:

Missile Deflection: This grants a chance to have Missiles or Eldritch Blasts miss you.
Deflection Bypass: This grants a chance to bypass an enemies Missile Defelction.
And, the most important change, there is now a statue commemorating the greatest hero in all of Eberron, the hireling Byron Scoutsword, in the Eberron Hall of Hereos.

Cocomajobo
11-30-2017, 02:01 PM
Landscape:

Quests:

All quests should be accessible, however, "Oath of Vengeance" is currently unable to be completed due to a bug. No quest flagging has currently been set up so, despite this, you should be able to play and complete the rest of the content.
Not all splash screens are yet in.

Raids:

Old Baba's Hut has yet to be decorated.

Loot:

Some loot is using the wrong material types.
Armor appearances of essentially all armors have not been hooked up or finalized.
The Crypt Raider set erroneously grants +1/2 Artifact Bonus to Saves vs. Evil creatures.
Sinister Handaxe's "Left Handed" effect displays as a string table error on the item tooltip (though it does work!)
Memory of a Tailor's Duress is not currently part of the Crypt Raider Set.
Dusk, the Light Descends still mostly resembles a Short Sword with Illusion effects instead of reflecting the redesign listed in release notes.
The Light Within still applies to the Raid sickle while in the Main Hand instead of being swapped to the Off Hand as is listed in release notes.
Spiral, The Voice of the Elements does not carry it's aura effects when being made into a cosmetic.

Sentient Weapons:

Currently only named weapons Minimum level 21 and higher accept Sentience. By the time Ravenloft goes live the cutoff is expected to be Minimum Level 20.
There is currently no cooldown on the voice lines from your sentient weapon commenting when a named item is fed to it (Other comments adhere to a 20 second cooldown). This is incredibly annoying and not intended.
Only the first two set bonuses from filagree that a Sentient weapon has slotted display on the weapons tooltip. They all still apply, this is simply a display issue.
Not all new set bonus effects have been implemented.

Misc:

Ravenloft enemies are not yet counting towards the Monster Manual.
Barovian Witches will sometimes not have a death animation.

Splunge
11-30-2017, 03:07 PM

Missile Deflection: This grants a chance to have Missiles or Eldritch Blasts miss you.
Deflection Bypass: This grants a chance to bypass an enemies Missile Defelction.
[/LIST]
Is there an explanation somewhere about how this works?

Cocomajobo
11-30-2017, 03:12 PM
Is there an explanation somewhere about how this works?

It's essentially like a second layer of Dodge/Dodge bypass that specifically only works against Missiles and Eldritch Blasts.

leesun
11-30-2017, 03:17 PM
is the old baba hut raid by chance.... the dancing hut of baba yaga?

Splunge
11-30-2017, 03:20 PM
It's essentially like a second layer of Dodge/Dodge bypass that specifically only works against Missiles and Eldritch Blasts.

Is that magic missiles or normal missiles, as in bolts, arrows, etc?

Dorian
11-30-2017, 03:20 PM

Are all mobs going to have this? And is there a cap (like 25% dodge)?

Wizza
11-30-2017, 03:24 PM
I just wanted to say that I appreciate you making all these threads with all the details. Kudos.

Qhualor
11-30-2017, 03:28 PM
I would recommend swapping the T1 and T2 favor reward. I cant imagine too many people getting excited about a 10 slot BTC augment bag. I dont even pick up my 30 slot ingredients favor bag from the Twelve. Personally I would only really care about T1 and, since I have no current characters that would want the Vistani tree or plans over the next decade to create a new character that would want to use the tree, T1 favor is all I would really try for.

Also, I havent seen or found any verification that augment bags can go into the shared crafting bank. With so many things that can go into that bank and are unbound/BTA, if augment bags could than I would be buying much bigger bags that hold a lot more stuff and just delete the 10 slot favor bag. Not that I want a 10 slot bag because I have augments and such on bank toons.

Cocomajobo
11-30-2017, 03:30 PM
is the old baba hut raid by chance.... the dancing hut of baba yaga?

Yes. =D

Is that magic missiles or normal missiles, as in bolts, arrows, etc?

Mundane Missiles. As in bolts, arrows, etc.

Are all mobs going to have this? And is there a cap (like 25% dodge)?

This is a statistic that monsters can have, yes. Not every monster will have greater than 0 but certainly some will. And yes, the cap is 75%.

I just wanted to say that I appreciate you making all these threads with all the details. Kudos.

Thanks. It took hours but I am happy with how it came out and hope people can easily parse the large amount of information we are throwing at you all. <3

Wizza
11-30-2017, 03:39 PM
Thanks. It took hours but I am happy with how it came out and hope people can easily parse the large amount of information we are throwing at you all. <3

It looks nice indeed, and I appreciate the orange to outline the changes.

Ehm sorry I mean, you are bad and bad job!

leesun
11-30-2017, 03:43 PM
Yes. =D

oh sht it gonna get lit boys

PsychoBlonde
11-30-2017, 04:16 PM
I'll have to see it in action, but I'm sort of predicting the Ranged Deflection won't really accomplish much aside from adding YET ANOTHER THING to slot somehow. Like monster dodge and PRR, it's like to go ignored unless it's very highly present and impactful.

There's already the Deflect Arrows feat, is that now going to give you % Missile Deflection instead? Is missile deflection going on the random loot tables? Is it going to be added to shields and armor as a passive effect?

Is there a plan to put it on, say, certain types of monsters? (Like, rogues, monks, maybe archers, and mobs with shields?)

I really don't know about this. It's pretty plain it's meant to affect warlocks primarily, ranged toons secondarily, and maybe help people out with the very high damage archers in a lot of the newer content. Well, okay, but this could be accomplished a lot more easily just by putting a SAVING THROW on warlocks MAIN BLAST DAMAGE.

I think it should also apply to "ray" type spells that have no other saving throw (searing light, polar ray, etc. Not disintegration--it has a save.) Currently, there's no way to defend against any of these spells apart from being lucky enough to be far away and moving in the right direction to physically dodge them.

A quick rundown from what I saw on Lammania:

Kimberlei (Artificer, light armor): base missile deflection 0
Lehren (Monk/Fighter/Rogue in cloth armor): base missile deflection 0, with deflect arrows feat . . . still 0
Arekkeh (Paladin, heavy armor): base missile deflection 0

So it's a little hard to tell how this new stat is supposed to work. Is it like PRR where a stat is converted to a percentage, or like dodge where the stat IS the percentage?

Suggestions for "base" missile deflection stats (NOTE THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS DON'T QUOTE THESE AS SOME SORT OF OFFICIAL FIGURES):

Deflect Arrows feat: flat 35% missile deflection (with some bonuses for some of the places like Ranger where you can get better deflection)
Heavy Armor: 25% missile deflection
Medium Armor: 15% missile deflection
Light Armor: 5% missile deflection
Cloth armor: 0%

Buckler: +5%
Light Shield: +10%
Heavy Shield: +20%
Tower Shield: +30%
Actively blocking with shield: +20%
Actively blocking (no shield): +10%
Actively blocking (unarmed): +0%

Monk Earth Stance: +5/10/15/20%, so, yeah, an Earth Stance monk with Grandmaster and deflect arrows would be roughly equivalent to a heavy armor/tower shield tank in general, although the tank would get more benefit from actively blocking.

Further suggestion:
Confirmed criticals should bypass 100% missile deflection.

And that also serves pretty well as a guideline as to which monsters should get how much deflection, no?

hit_fido
11-30-2017, 04:20 PM

Why do I worry this is a "solution" to constraining warlock effectiveness that comes in a form that punishes bow/crossbow users? Doesn't dodge already affect missile weapons? Did dodge affect blasts? So now there's a double dodge in place for missile weapons and one dodge for blasters?

And how the hell do you deflect a cone blast?

Aelonwy
11-30-2017, 05:20 PM
Sentient Weapons:
Currently only named weapons Minimum level 21 and higher accept Sentience. By the time Ravenloft goes live the cutoff is expected to be Minimum Level 20.

First off this is great news.

There is currently no cooldown on the voice lines from your sentient weapon commenting when a named item is fed to it (Other comments adhere to a 20 second cooldown). This is incredibly annoying and not intended.

Secondly, I laughed so hard when I read this. Not intended? Are you sure?

Aelonwy
11-30-2017, 05:32 PM

*Tongue-in-cheek* Come on guys we all knew something like this was coming... the bandwagon complaints against warlocks/ranged and then 75% sale on warlocks... we could all read the magic 8-ball on this one. :p

And, the most important change, there is now a statue commemorating the greatest hero in all of Eberron, the hireling Byron Scoutsword, in the Eberron Hall of Hereos.
[/LIST]

Okay, who is this guy and why is he such a hero? Did he actually heal someone in a quest in a timely manner or what?

Xaxx
11-30-2017, 05:46 PM
Yes. =D

Mundane Missiles. As in bolts, arrows, etc.

This is a statistic that monsters can have, yes. Not every monster will have greater than 0 but certainly some will. And yes, the cap is 75%.

yep warlocks went on sale and less than a week later here is a nerfbat targeted at warlocks and ranged users.... do you guys get a perverse glee out of this stuff??

JOTMON
11-30-2017, 06:37 PM
[LIST]
Tier 3: Access to the Vistani Knife Fighter Universal Enhancement Tree to that character. (This is not an account wide unlock. It is a per character unlock.)

The Small augment bag for T2 is gimpy especially considering the small bag only holds 10 unique augments/filigrees

Comparatively..
The Twelve
T0- Untrusted - 0 Favor - Small Ingredients Bag (30 unique items)
T1- Suspicious - 40 Favor -Grants access to Altar of Fecundity in Meridia and (another) Small Ingredients Bag.
T2- Friend of The Twelve - 100 Favor - Large Ingredient Bag (80 unique items)

Please change to
Tier 0 - The small augment bag (10 unique items)
Tier 2 - Large augment bag (40 unique items).
Tier 3 - Add a 6-pack of unslotting Tools.

Krelar
11-30-2017, 07:40 PM

So does this mean it's lost when the toon reincarnates? So if we don't buy the tree we have to get to level ~10 every life before we can use it again?

gwonbush
11-30-2017, 07:42 PM
Okay, who is this guy and why is he such a hero? Did he actually heal someone in a quest in a timely manner or what?

He's the level 1 Barbarian hireling. He saved Korthos for all those builds that are weak at level 1-2.

Qhualor
11-30-2017, 07:58 PM

he is a level 1 barbarian hire I use to solo elite Cannith Crystal while I guard the crystal from the cultists. now I will have a place to admire and reflect upon his heroic deeds over these past years.

zehnvhex
11-30-2017, 07:59 PM
yep warlocks went on sale and less than a week later here is a nerfbat targeted at warlocks and ranged users.... do you guys get a perverse glee out of this stuff??

To be fair it's not that big of a deal.

Pre-10 I doubt any mob is going to have enough of this to matter.

Post-10 if you're relying on blast to do damage you're playing a warlock wrong.

Cocomajobo
11-30-2017, 08:05 PM
So does this mean it's lost when the toon reincarnates? So if we don't buy the tree we have to get to level ~10 every life before we can use it again?

No. Access to the Vistani tree persists through reincarnation. You only need to do the favor run once on a character to gain access to it.

Why do I worry this is a "solution" to constraining warlock effectiveness that comes in a form that punishes bow/crossbow users?

100% genuinely, this was entirely decided upon and implemented as just mundane missiles. And then, almost as an afterthought, Eldritch Blasts were decided to be included.

Doesn't dodge already affect missile weapons?

Yes.

Did dodge affect blasts?

No.

So now there's a double dodge in place for missile weapons and one dodge for blasters?

Yes.

Thar
11-30-2017, 10:31 PM

Bag- it's about time. augs have been an inventory annoyance since they came out.

Missle deflection - for ranged this is called AC, so you're putting in another bypass x2 for ranged and one for eldrich blast? Seemed a huge nerfbat to both warlocks and all ranged. There maybe some false advertising for those of us that paid for warlocks. Blasts are not the issue with warlocks, it's the auras warlocks. If this is high enough then no one will play blaster warlocks which there is not much reason now. Ranged nerf is a whole nother level of what in the world are you doing? you still have to hit, things can't move out of the way, now two dodge checks??? seriously? If you want melee to be more applicable to end game you need to take away 500 hp damage. This isn't the way.

Splunge
11-30-2017, 11:37 PM

I don't see anything in the loot thread that grants deflection bypass. How do we get it? Or is it something that only mobs can have?

Wizza
12-01-2017, 12:10 AM
In high reaper ranged already graze a lot. Now they will have to worry about:

AC
Dodge
Displacement
This new thing

Unnecessary change but well, in typical ssg fashion.

TitusOvid
12-01-2017, 01:46 AM

Is it possible to set those stats to zero with hold monster or fascinate, greater command for example? It would be logical.

On 2nd thought. I feel a bit silly here. maybe it is the cough meds I am taking. You implement a possibility for missle deflection AND a workaround at the same time?

Satyriasys
12-01-2017, 04:54 AM

It should affect Eldritch Burst NOT blast. You guys still don't get it. Warlocks are not OP, Enlightened Spirits are. And not just a bit but completely over the top broken. You should just remove that tree while you rework it.

Xaxx
12-01-2017, 08:50 AM
To be fair it's not that big of a deal.

Pre-10 I doubt any mob is going to have enough of this to matter.

Post-10 if you're relying on blast to do damage you're playing a warlock wrong.

The more the thought has crossed my mind the more I think this could be a much bigger deal should someone wish to push it. Much like the loot box stuff so many have been up to, ea just pushed the luck of the whole industry with battlefront 2. Now certain things are under review in some countries.... all it takes is one court case to start the ball rolling on things.

Microtransactions haven't been looked at so much for the past decade..... but I do wonder what would happen if someone got a bee in their bonnet and started researching the warlock sale dates to warlock power changes and decided to pursue something involving bait and switch... once can happen, twice can be a coincidence, three times is a pattern. This is the second time I recall something like this and some people seem to be saying this is a 3rd time....

All I'm saying here is that if ddo was wow and this went on with sale/nerf sale/nerf (putting something to a lower price looking for volume sales while knowing what your offering for sale is about to change for the worse compaired to whats being advertised) this would be a ranting point for alot of people, and alot of people ranting is how stupid things get done. Apply the sale/nerf strategy to any industry and see what happens. Imagine any car company offering a car for sale knowing something is wrong with it and offering massive discounts of them just before the make the announcement that they have to have massive recalls to make engine changes hat cut the horsepower or gas mileage of the car but 20 or even 5%. The imagine the same car company doing it twice or three times in less than 5 years. Tell me what kind of stuff that would cause....

TLDR: ssg might want to look at their future of ingame changes and not offer for sale things that are about to be changed without letting players know ahead of time

Lycurgus
12-01-2017, 09:08 AM
Bag- it's about time. augs have been an inventory annoyance since they came out.

Missle deflection - for ranged this is called AC, so you're putting in another bypass x2 for ranged and one for eldrich blast? Seemed a huge nerfbat to both warlocks and all ranged. There maybe some false advertising for those of us that paid for warlocks. Blasts are not the issue with warlocks, it's the auras warlocks. If this is high enough then no one will play blaster warlocks which there is not much reason now. Ranged nerf is a whole nother level of what in the world are you doing? you still have to hit, things can't move out of the way, now two dodge checks??? seriously? If you want melee to be more applicable to end game you need to take away 500 hp damage. This isn't the way.

At least the server populations are healthy and we can afford to lose those players unwilling to deal with yet another round of nerfs.

Anaximandroz
12-01-2017, 09:49 AM
Suggestions for "base" missile deflection stats (NOTE THESE ARE SUGGESTIONS DON'T QUOTE THESE AS SOME SORT OF OFFICIAL FIGURES):

Deflect Arrows feat: flat 35% missile deflection (with some bonuses for some of the places like Ranger where you can get better deflection)
Heavy Armor: 25% missile deflection
Medium Armor: 15% missile deflection
Light Armor: 5% missile deflection
Cloth armor: 0%

Buckler: +5%
Light Shield: +10%
Heavy Shield: +20%
Tower Shield: +30%
Actively blocking with shield: +20%
Actively blocking (no shield): +10%
Actively blocking (unarmed): +0%

Monk Earth Stance: +5/10/15/20%, so, yeah, an Earth Stance monk with Grandmaster and deflect arrows would be roughly equivalent to a heavy armor/tower shield tank in general, although the tank would get more benefit from actively blocking.

Further suggestion:
Confirmed criticals should bypass 100% missile deflection.

And that also serves pretty well as a guideline as to which monsters should get how much deflection, no?

if it comes to stay, to me this looks like would be an ideal scenario. Just add shooting in the run and precision by pass 35% missile deflection (maybe less in precision).

I would say this is more complex then it should and should just put a bigger penalty on ranged attacks while running and/or jumping, but with the inflated numbers any set value would make lower level impossible or wont make any difference at cap.

On the quests topic, i was running 1st with dm audio and the voice actress in the 1st quest i very good. Did you SSg hire the voice actor who did Nazeem in skyrim to do Stradh? At least in the 1st visit to Castle Ravenloft? I could hear "Did you go to Castle Ravenloft very often? Oh, what am I saying, of course you do (<- grind joke)."

guzzlr
12-01-2017, 10:14 AM

Tier 2: Uninspired and not of much value.
Tier 3: Are you serious? Per character? So, we will not be able to play the knife fighter though the Ravenloft content. I can accept that if I put this into the story part of my brain. This is a fighting system that comes from a place that we have never been to. Ok, fine. But the practical side of things hollers that this is a poor decision. If I buy it I get it unlocked on my account. If I play for it, I get it for one character that will then have to respec to be able to use it *after* the content has been played through. I don't care for the decision.

As far as the missile deflection thing? Will monster archers have maximum deflection bypass and deflection...and still be able to shoot across the world, and hit like a truck? Of course they will. This feels like more "Ability" inflation and a system that will skew the balance all over the place...again. You tossed in eldritch blast as an "afterthought." You may want to work on more plans from the beginning and stick to them before making "afterthought" decisions. I hope it works out.

TitusOvid
12-01-2017, 10:20 AM
Another idea. why don't you rework AC?! that is the statistic that should have that missle deflection implemented. Why are you adding c-rap to more c-rap? I don't get it?

The idea behind it all has merit, if I am looking really really hard. But dodge and AC should be handling that. not another stat.

Splunge
12-01-2017, 10:50 AM
This third preview is expected to run until sometime on Monday December 4th.

The last I heard, you were targeting Dec 5 as the release date. Is that still the case?

bracelet
12-01-2017, 11:14 AM

Why do you keep doing this to yourselves? Do you not want players? If you keep listening to the same 3 people incessantly whining about ranged builds, you will end up with those 3 guys quitting because there is no one left to play with. Just fix their melee builds so they don't get one-shot every time a mob looks cross-eyed at them, then everyone is happy. I am tired of mincing words on this. This is just bone-headed.

hit_fido
12-01-2017, 11:21 AM
100% genuinely, this was entirely decided upon and implemented as just mundane missiles. And then, almost as an afterthought, Eldritch Blasts were decided to be included.

I don't always like the answers but your efforts on posting stuff and making it readable and being active are pretty cool.

Admittedly, it makes perfect sense to me that if some players who have specced for it can deflect arrows on top of dodging them, or all the other stacked avoidance, then why shouldn't certain logically designed monsters be able to as well. If you go in and adjust all or most monsters so they all have some % of missile deflection, then I think you're doing it wrong. If you have certain monsters, bosses, or encounters designed for it I could see it as another tool to add challenge here and there.

I'm just guessing the way this went down was something like that observation about player/monster missile deflection parity, and then someone there probably realized we'd get bitter over a nerf to ranged while warlocks continue firing no fail chains and cones, so you decided to add blasts too - even though I can't find any logical reason that a mob can "deflect" a blast but not "dodge" it. They're both ranged attacks. It probably would make more sense to me if mobs could dodge blasts, but not deflect them, instead of deflecting but not dodging.

At any rate, thanks for clarifying.

NXPlasmid
12-01-2017, 11:53 AM
And then, almost as an afterthought, Eldritch Blasts were decided to be included.

OMG seriously. I just purchased Ravenloft but have yet to use the code. I can get my money back right? I am no longer that excited about the future of this game, not that I was all that excited in the first place...

memloch
12-01-2017, 12:27 PM
OMG seriously. I just purchased Ravenloft but have yet to use the code. I can get my money back right? I am no longer that excited about the future of this game, not that I was all that excited in the first place...

Does not matter if you purchase the expansion as this will still affect you. Either you want the new content or not?

Qhualor
12-01-2017, 12:34 PM

I was waiting to respond to this because I wasn't sure what it meant, if it was a new thing for players or mobs or just a Ravenloft thing.

I have to agree with others that this is not good. To me it comes across as obvious nerfing to specific builds. It's like you guys are aware that ranged and Warlocks are pretty dominant in the game and you throw in something to keep them in check. Nerfing enhancements and such didn't seem to work and changing the way mobs are agro'd from range really didn't accomplish the intention behind it.

It does make sense to nerf builds if they are overperforming, but it doesn't make sense to add another layer of defense that affects specific builds. If melees were considered the dominators, would there have been new layers of defense like a chance to do no damage from a slashing weapon? I would hope not because what does help keep builds from overperforming is in quest design and improvements to mobs. I don't mean quests with kill 10 mobs before advancing or adding new layers of defense. As someone else said, that's what dodge and AC is for. If there are D&D mobs that are resistant, immune or something to Eldritch Blasts, than include them in new content.

I know the story on not going back and improving mobs, but is it really worth it to add new defenses, design barrier quests, give mobs bigger than should be hitpoints, changing systems based on pecking order, etc? I suppose it's easier to add new code than it is to spend time changing old code, but it doesn't make the game more interesting or fun.

After reading what I wrote it came across as ranty. Just honest feedback.

Iriesys
12-01-2017, 12:44 PM

Great thinking SSG. First you killed melee with reaper... your melee players left, then you killed epics and end-game with reaper and racials... your end gamers left.
Let's see what is there left? That would be ranged and warlocks (because non-warlock DC casters need some DPS class to clean up) doing heroics.
Now you want to kill ranged and warlocks too. So after your ranged and warlock players leave who do you think will be left to play this game?

I'll leave that to you to think about. I guess you can count 2+2

The last I heard, you were targeting Dec 5 as the release date. Is that still the case?
Did you actually expect them to release it on the day they promised?
But it's ok people... I told you so, but nop! You ran and threw them your 120$ without even having seen what changes will be made and what content you will see.

They had a chance to change and make the game better. Their best chance so far, that is a new expansion. But no... instead of listening to feedback and helping melee become playable again in high skull reaper, they said "Screw this, fixing it is not worth it. Let's just nerf ranged and warlocks to melee level to balance the game." That's how you balance metas ladies and gentlemen.

Then they throw you in again their bait and switch with warlock sales and slowly drive this game to its closure while sucking the most money out of the whales.
People still think this game will last 3-4 years or whatever. They dont want it to last. They want to dry it clean, absorb all the fanboy money still available and then you'll get the Asheron's Call ending.
"On a happy Monday Morning... Thank you all for your bla bla.. adventures. Time to close. See ya!"

Money is going to LOTRO until it lasts. If they cared to keep DDO running, they would have spent money on server merges, graphics updates, bug fixes and class balance. This stuff costs money but does not bring in a big profit. But it keeps your game alive. It satisfies your current playerbase and has little impact on new players who don't know about the game. For that you need advertising, of which there is none.
Expansions are a quick way of making bursts of income. Create expansion where 10% of the quests do not work (who cares), grab the money, keep the game open for a year or so for more expansion buyers and then shut down.

JOTMON
12-01-2017, 12:47 PM
It should affect Eldritch Burst NOT blast. You guys still don't get it. Warlocks are not OP, Enlightened Spirits are. And not just a bit but completely over the top broken. You should just remove that tree while you rework it.

I would actually expect the opposite from this mechanic addition..
its missile defense. not aoe blast defense...

Is intent is to give a miss chance to missile attacks.. specifically targeting all the ranged attacks.

Lagin
12-01-2017, 01:11 PM

Oh boy, this is going to ruffle some feathers. Without reading the posts, Im guessing there are a few flames. Interesting reading ahead.

As for "Old Baba Hut" That's going to a blast.

John3000
12-01-2017, 01:30 PM

[/LIST]

Does missile deflection apply to only new content mobs ? or will old content mobs also get it ? Only Red / Orange mobs ? Or normal mobs ? What's the predicted scaling ? CR related or only in Reaper content ?

Not sure if I'm a fan of this... Thought Reaper 1-10 was introduced for those 30+ past lifers who wanted everything nerfed, so why scare away New players and 1st/2nd lifers with yet another warlock and ranged nerf + extra stat headaches ?

Cheers

Renvar
12-01-2017, 01:51 PM
On the surface the idea of missile deflection looks like an unnecessary complication to an already complicated system of attack and defense.

Issues:

1) It provides little to no improvement in defense for player characters. There are fewer ranged physical attacks than melee attacks in the game. Melee attacks on player characters are the issue in higher content. This does nothing to address that issue.

2) This provides some mobs (unknown how many) with a defense that will impact ranged DPS and warlock DPS. Neither of these were a problem in today's game. The issue with today's game is that melee characters do not have enough defensive ability, specifically from melee attacks. Lowering ranged and warlock DPS is a needless nerf. Regardless of how small it is.

3) It adds an additional calculation to the attack and defense routines, which, theoretically must be done on every attack. This only increases calculations. And, potentially, impacts performance.

4) It adds an additional effect that must be factored into gear. If there are regular, insightful, quality, exceptional, etc versions, possibly multiple effects. Both for the defensive version and the bypass version for offense. That adds even more clutter to an already overcrowded gear situation.

Better solutions:

Reuse existing defense system in place to improve player character defense without impacting ranged and warlock DPS. Option include:

1) Modify AC to add additional AC to medium and heavy armor. Making it viable again. Getting hit is a huge problem for melee PC's. Give them an actual option, besides dodge displacement ghostly blur, etc to avoid getting hit in LE and high skulls. Thish as the advantage of working for melee attacks and ranged attacks. Which is more the issue. To avoid everyone (including casters and ranged) using heavy armor exclusively, place an RoF penalty on thrown weapons, bows and cross bows when in medium and heavy armor. Increase the ASF penalty on casting (including eld blasts) in medium and heavy armor.

2) Modify Dodge to raise the dodge cap. Specifically the limitations when wearing medium and heavy armor. Give more sources to raise dodge cap. This new deflection feature is basically Dodge 2.0. How about just changing dodge slightly to add to the ability. If done correctly (by working with the dodge caps on med/heavy armor) this can be something that benefits heavy armor melees. Not just light/no armor builds. And again, this would help with both melee and ranged attacks.

3) If you really want to target just ranged attacks, modify the deflect arrows feat to be more effective than it currently is. Maybe create several tiers of the feat that can be taken that increase in effectiveness (tier 1 is 20% chance to deflect an arrow. Max 1 time per second. Tier 2 is 35% chance 2 times per second. Tier 3 is 50% chance 2 times per second. Or something like that. Balance it correctly. But you get the picture). Make them fighter and martial arts feats and/or maybe put some enhancements to improve deflect arrows in Ninja Spy, DWS, TA, and Vanguard (deflecting using a shield vs dodging them outright). Make them alter the percentage chance or the number of times per second max. Force players to invest to get it. Make a trade off. Maybe put something in some racial trees for halflings, gnomes, and elves as well. Give us something to spend those racial AP on...

Lots of ways to skin this cat that would use/enhance existing systems vs. making something entirely new. I hope you reconsider.

ShamgarSlamaden
12-01-2017, 02:06 PM
^This. Missile deflection to "help" melees isn't the right direction.

I get that the devs want high skull reaper to be "too hard" right now, and maybe it appears that warlocks/dc casters make it "too easy", but that still won't make melee what it needs to be in LE/reaper.

Splunge
12-01-2017, 02:11 PM
Tier 2: Uninspired and not of much value.

I like it. I keep all of my augments in the crafting storage bank, so I don't need anything big. This is big enough to gather any augments I find and make it easier to dump them into crafting storage when I get around to it. AFAIK, there's no other in-game source of augment bags. I'm going to want one on each of my toons.

JOTMON
12-01-2017, 02:28 PM
On the surface the idea of missile deflection looks like an unnecessary complication to an already complicated system of attack and defense.

Issues:

1) It provides little to no improvement in defense for player characters. There are fewer ranged physical attacks than melee attacks in the game. Melee attacks on player characters are the issue in higher content. This does nothing to address that issue.

2) This provides some mobs (unknown how many) with a defense that will impact ranged DPS and warlock DPS. Neither of these were a problem in today's game. The issue with today's game is that melee characters do not have enough defensive ability, specifically from melee attacks. Lowering ranged and warlock DPS is a needless nerf. Regardless of how small it is.

3) It adds an additional calculation to the attack and defense routines, which, theoretically must be done on every attack. This only increases calculations. And, potentially, impacts performance.

4) It adds an additional effect that must be factored into gear. If there are regular, insightful, quality, exceptional, etc versions, possibly multiple effects. Both for the defensive version and the bypass version for offense. That adds even more clutter to an already overcrowded gear situation.

Better solutions:

Reuse existing defense system in place to improve player character defense without impacting ranged and warlock DPS. Option include:

1) Modify AC to add additional AC to medium and heavy armor. Making it viable again. Getting hit is a huge problem for melee PC's. Give them an actual option, besides dodge displacement ghostly blur, etc to avoid getting hit in LE and high skulls. Thish as the advantage of working for melee attacks and ranged attacks. Which is more the issue. To avoid everyone (including casters and ranged) using heavy armor exclusively, place an RoF penalty on thrown weapons, bows and cross bows when in medium and heavy armor. Increase the ASF penalty on casting (including eld blasts) in medium and heavy armor.

2) Modify Dodge to raise the dodge cap. Specifically the limitations when wearing medium and heavy armor. Give more sources to raise dodge cap. This new deflection feature is basically Dodge 2.0. How about just changing dodge slightly to add to the ability. If done correctly (by working with the dodge caps on med/heavy armor) this can be something that benefits heavy armor melees. Not just light/no armor builds. And again, this would help with both melee and ranged attacks.

3) If you really want to target just ranged attacks, modify the deflect arrows feat to be more effective than it currently is. Maybe create several tiers of the feat that can be taken that increase in effectiveness (tier 1 is 20% chance to deflect an arrow. Max 1 time per second. Tier 2 is 35% chance 2 times per second. Tier 3 is 50% chance 2 times per second. Or something like that. Balance it correctly. But you get the picture). Make them fighter and martial arts feats and/or maybe put some enhancements to improve deflect arrows in Ninja Spy, DWS, TA, and Vanguard (deflecting using a shield vs dodging them outright). Make them alter the percentage chance or the number of times per second max. Force players to invest to get it. Make a trade off. Maybe put something in some racial trees for halflings, gnomes, and elves as well. Give us something to spend those racial AP on...

Lots of ways to skin this cat that would use/enhance existing systems vs. making something entirely new. I hope you reconsider.

1. The AC problem is a more encompassing issue that go beyond missile defense, besides AC is not so much of an issue..
PRR is more of an issue. change the scaling so that each 100 PRR gives 25% mitigation, cap at 95%.
give separate PRR for monks/barbarian levels that have the same bonus type as armor.

2. Dodge is not a good solution for missile defense.
Its an unequal defense for armored/unarmored. the evasion types gain advantage and armored builds dont fare as well.
I think missile defense as a separate option is better than trying to use dodge.

3. I would expect Deflect arrows to be part of the Missile defense system and apply a specific % towards the Missile defense total.

Cordovan
12-01-2017, 02:31 PM
I expect this to be asked, so putting the answer out now in regard to which level 20 named items are compatible with Sentient Jewels. This is not a comprehensive list, but the list of compatible items includes:

- Eveningstar Commendation turn-in weapons
- Eveningstar Challenge ML20 weapons
- King's Forest quest named weapons
- Old Eberron Epic weapons (Shard, Scroll, Seal weapons after being upgraded)
- Cannith Challenge ML20 weapons

JOTMON
12-01-2017, 02:33 PM
I expect this to be asked, so putting the answer out now in regard to which level 20 named items are compatible with Sentient Jewels. This is not a comprehensive list, but the list of compatible items includes:

Thanks

good to know.

Fivetigers33
12-01-2017, 02:34 PM

ML20 Alchemical weapons?

Renvar
12-01-2017, 02:50 PM
1. The AC problem is a more encompassing issue that go beyond missile defense, besides AC is not so much of an issue..
PRR is more of an issue. change the scaling so that each 100 PRR gives 25% mitigation, cap at 95%.
give separate PRR for monks/barbarian levels that have the same bonus type as armor.

Its an unequal defense for armored/unarmored. the evasion types gain advantage and armored builds dont fare as well.
I think missile defense as a separate option is better than trying to use dodge.

3. I would expect Deflect arrows to be part of the Missile defense system and apply a specific % towards the Missile defense total.

1. I agree. AC and PRR is the bigger issue. And the one that needs addressing. Not a new mechanic like deflection that does nothing to address the real issue. We can talk about the implementation options, and working with PRR in addition to AC is fine. But that is where the discussion should be. Particularly for heavy/medium armor builds.

2. Dodge is imperfect, but if you really want a system like deflection, this is still a better option than creating a new system. And you CAN make dodge work better for heavy/medium armor. Just because that is how it is today doesn't mean that is how it needs to be in the future. Again, this is one of the current flaws. AC and PRR are worse than dodge. As a result, we are going back to the days of "everyone is a pajama build" because dodge+ghostly+displace > AC+PRR+Ghostly+Displace. Armor up was supposed to fix this. But then they implemented champs and reapers that basically ignore AC and hit for so much damage that PRR is irrelevant. 25% of 20,000 damage still kills you. So to create challenge all they really did is nerf the advantages of Armor Up. Fixing this should be the goal. Not a new system around deflecting ranged attacks.

3. You can expect all you want. It isn't explicitly stated that it will. And the same goal can be done with an upgrade to deflect arrows that does not increase calculations or make gear more complex, or result in a DPS nerf to ranged and warlocks.

blerkington
12-01-2017, 02:55 PM
Deflection Bypass: This grants a chance to bypass an enemies Missile Defelction

This seems like a bad idea to me, even as someone who isn't playing a ranged build or a warlock and won't be directly affected. You do understand it will affect all ranged builds, right, not just the ones you think are over-performing?

Perhaps at the very least you should spend enough time on this that you can construct a correct sentence describing what will happen.

No: an enemies, Defelction
Yes: an enemy's, Deflection

There has already been some good feedback about potential problems with this change, and I'm sure there will be a lot more.

Including it with the expansion and after a warlock sale is very poor timing indeed. You guys certainly are masters of squandering community good-will and making your players dislike you.

That throwaway line about adding in certain warlock attacks at the last moment is very revealing about how carefully these changes are considered, and how poorly - still - you understand the balance problems with that class.

When you do things like this, I find myself thinking there's really no helping you people at all. You just do whatever pops into your heads, regardless of warnings and consequences, and that's a big part of why DDO is now in this wretched state.

Thanks.

SirValentine
12-01-2017, 03:32 PM

What is this supposed to mean? We already have the Deflect Arrows feat. We have Armor Class. We have miss chance due to concealment. We have Reflex saves. We even, for some unknown reason, have Dodge as a separate roll rather than being part of Armor Class. What does this represent? How does it work? Why does it exist?

I can see it's probably intended to nerf ranged (throw/bow/crossbow and also Warlock), but the method being used here is ugly and unjustified. Just nerf'em directly if you really think they need nerfing, don't further corrupt the game mechanics with non-D&D nonsense.

SirValentine
12-01-2017, 03:34 PM

That's a problem of the devs own making, so I don't view that as a good excuse at all. Dodge should be returned to where it was previously in DDO: as a part of AC. Then your objection here vanishes.

Soleran100
12-01-2017, 03:42 PM

This is an ugly way to nerf ranged and create more statflation to gear.

Poor bows are going to get punished even more in the end game.

Lycurgus
12-01-2017, 03:43 PM

Just to add to your suggestions, give heavy armor melee and barbarians an auto-granted class feat with a self-only clickie to cleanse DoTs. Gate it behind 10 or 12 class levels, limit the number of uses per rest so it has to be used strategically. Bam. Improved melee defenses while leaving existing mechanisms in place for adding threat to ranged and evasion types. Barbarian's balm, paladin's puissance, fighter's felicity, cleric's cautery, etc.

PsychoBlonde
12-01-2017, 03:51 PM

Heh.

Arkat
12-01-2017, 04:04 PM
ML20 Alchemical weapons?

No. All the weapons in Cordo's list are "named" weapons.

Alchemical weapons aren't "named."

Fivetigers33
12-01-2017, 04:10 PM

His post also says "This is not a comprehensive list". Why do you hate Alchemical weapons so much? Also, please explain how a +5 Boreal Cormyrian Longbow of Hemorrhaging counts as a named weapon.

Arkat
12-01-2017, 04:23 PM
Why do you hate Alchemical weapons so much?

My question to you is why are you so invested in Alchemical weapons?

The Cormyrian Bastard Sword of X, Y, and Z shouldn't count as named weapons either but, apparently, they do because Cormyr is a proper noun (it's a place) so since nouns are names of persons, places, or things, they count as named weapons for now.

Yeah, that's pretty technical and pretty "stretched" so I wouldn't be broken up if they decide to not make Eveningstar Challenge weapons "sentientable."

SerPounce
12-01-2017, 04:29 PM
This seems like a bad idea to me, even as someone who isn't playing a ranged build or a warlock and won't be directly affected. You do understand it will affect all ranged builds, right, not just the ones you think are over-performing?

Yeah. At least put a bunch of bypass in the AA &DWS capstones, and a bit in the Battle engineer capstone. Archers are weak if anything, and artificers are still pretty far behind mechanics and throwers even after their sorta-kinda update (still only have 2 trees, and the pet is still useless).

Fivetigers33
12-01-2017, 04:31 PM
My question to you is why are you so invested in Alchemical weapons?

I am a huge Alchemical weapon fan, I will admit. Their flexibility and low ML make them perfect candidates for Sentient weapons. Plus there's one for everyone.

I know I'd much rather use one of those than any other named weapon for low 20s at least, depending on the build, they could be viable all the way up to 28+.

SerPounce
12-01-2017, 04:45 PM
I am a huge Alchemical weapon fan, I will admit. Their flexibility and low ML make them perfect candidates for Sentient weapons. Plus there's one for everyone.

I know I'd much rather use one of those than any other named weapon for low 20s at least, depending on the build, they could be viable all the way up to 28+.

Really? They seem pretty dated... What weapon type (that makes sense to use) doesn't have something better in the 20-23 range?

Some of the best cosmetics in the game though!

Severlin
12-01-2017, 05:09 PM
Deflection can be used on gear to give a thematic protection against missiles without needing the heavily scripted current Missile Deflection feats. It scales better than adding another Missile Deflection with its own cooldown, and doesn't have the problem where its usefulness drops off against lots of enemies. The existing feats and enhancements haven't changed from their current implementation.

No enemies in the game, including Ravenloft enemies, have any Deflection.

Yes, we could use this in a raid or dungeon encounter to make melee DPS more valuable, but this isn't a stat we plan to add to regular enemies.

Sev~

Renvar
12-01-2017, 05:19 PM
I wouldn't be broken up if they decide to not make Eveningstar Challenge weapons "sentientable."

Players with thousands of challenge mats they can use to get maxxed sentient weapons on day one would be broken up...

zehnvhex
12-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Deflection can be used on gear to give a thematic protection against missiles without needing the heavily scripted current Missile Deflection feats.

How will it interact with Champion Dodge Bypass and Uncanny Aim?

SerPounce
12-01-2017, 05:47 PM
Deflection can be used on gear to give a thematic protection against missiles without needing the heavily scripted current Missile Deflection feats. It scales better than adding another Missile Deflection with its own cooldown, and doesn't have the problem where its usefulness drops off against lots of enemies. The existing feats and enhancements haven't changed from their current implementation.

Yes, we could use this in a raid or dungeon encounter to make melee DPS more valuable, but this isn't a stat we plan to add to regular enemies.

Sev~

Cool, good to know. I hope not a lot of time went into that though... kind of niche, and there's a lot of stuff that needs work!

Satyriasys
12-01-2017, 05:56 PM
I found some tokens in wilderness area chests. Anyone know what they are for?

Severlin
12-01-2017, 05:58 PM
How will it interact with Champion Dodge Bypass and Uncanny Aim?

It is not affected by either - if you roll to deflect a missile neither of these will prevent the deflection.

Sev~

Fivetigers33
12-01-2017, 06:01 PM
Really? They seem pretty dated... What weapon type (that makes sense to use) doesn't have something better in the 20-23 range?

First of all, pretty much all weapons in the 20-25 range are extremely dated compared to cannith crafting and updated random loot, with the exception of CitW stuff.

Alchemical caster weapons:
Arcane casters can get Arcane Augmentation IX. That's +2 to spell penetration
Divine casters can get an alchemical +2 bonus to Wisdom. That's +1 DC of all spells.
+100 spell points from Greater Elemental Spellpower.
You can get efficient metamagic for Enlarge, Empower, Extend, or Maximize.

Alchemical melees/ranged weapons:
DR breakers. Good, or Good + any metal type or Crystal for rusties/oozes.
+2 alchemical bonus to Constitution for 20+ HP and a fortitude save.
+100 spell points from Greater Elemental Spellpower. Cocoon on a melee anyone?

In terms of their DPS potential, lets look at a ML20 Cannith Crafted vs ML20 Alchemical Longsword.

Cannith Crafted Longsword
2 [1d8] +6, 16-20 x3 (assuming improved crit and +1/+1 competence bonus from enhancements)
4d6 force damage (+14 damage/hit)
4d6 bludgeon damage (+14 damage/hit)
+3 insightful deadly (+5.25 damage/hit when you factor in extra crit damage)
Red Augment
Total Bonus Damage per hit 33.25

Alchemical Longsword
2 [1d8] +6, 16-20 x3 (assuming improved crit and +1/+1 competence bonus from enhancements)
Flaming Burst (6.25 damage/hit)
Flaming Blast (3.45 damage/hit)
Seeker 10 (I wont even factor this in, as it can be on another item, but it's a good value and saves having to slot it somewhere else)
Alchemical Wisdom +2 (+1 will save)
Crushing Wave (10.5 damage/hit)
Corrosive Salt (9.3 damage/hit)
Freezing Gale (2.65 damage/hit)
Red Augment
Total Bonus Damage 32.15

As you can see, a DPS alchemical weapon is right in line with top of the line same level cannith crafted weapon. The seeker +10 would actually push the alchemical weapon past the cannith crafted weapon if you don't have a decent source of seeker somewhere else. All that aside, the fact that the alchemical weapon can bypass Good DR, put's it way ahead of anything cannith crafted for general DPS and utility. Now I know you can get super lucky and find a random gen DR breaker + red aug, but those are pretty rare.

For caster weapons, I like taking the Fire Shield (Cold) T1, +2 Constitution T2, then whichever caster T3 fits best. These weapons are pure awesomeness.

blerkington
12-01-2017, 06:05 PM

Sev~

So for now and in the recent future, this is just another effect for us to try to squeeze into our gear or more likely ignore. But it may be used more frequently in the future, in a very blunt instrument sort of way, to tone down damage for low to mid dps ranged builds as well as high dps ones, and warlock blasts too? It all just seems so pointless.

Asheras/Renvar already made the very pertinent point that a big problem with gearing right now stems from your team's love of adding new bonus types of the same effect (enhancement, exceptional, insightful, profane, alchemical, artifact, etc). So even to be really good at just one thing we have to gear for six or more stacking bonuses for just one effect.

That is putting a lot of pressure on fitting in what we need to be decent at just one or two things, not even to get everything we want, into a gear set.

What makes it worse is the way your team loves to sprinkle these effects apparently at random over items, meaning we get this awful game of gear tetris every time we try to upgrade one item, never mind the inevitable conflicts leading to missed or duplicated effects. With around 4 effects allowed per item and some of them not being very good, perhaps you can start to understand the havoc your approach to building loot is causing some of us at endgame.

That aside, if you are seriously concerned about making melee dps more valuable (I assume you mean in mid to high skull reaper content, because it's not really an issue below there) you need to address the issue of melees' ability to survive very high damage attacks from bosses with little to no advance warning or way to avoid them.

I play a melee character in reaper content at cap and the boss fights are usually by far the most dangerous point for a melee. A party with decent cc and instakills doesn't have to worry much about anything leading up to boss fights.

But even with access to a lot of dodge, dodge clickies and a temp hp buffer from an LGS triple positive weapon, many boss fights are just terrible; terribly dangerous and also terribly boring at the same time. And of course, the higher the skulls go, the less damage we're doing and the more damage we're taking. That is why efficient reaper groups often include few spots for melee dps, just to take care of enemies that can't be instakilled (which ranged can do too), and ranged damage is so commonly preferred for boss fights.

So, to me anyway, it looks very much to me like your 'solution' is fixing something that isn't a problem while ignoring something that is arguably a much bigger problem. Like I said before, this just seems like you are making small pointless changes in the belief they will help when they won't, while ignoring other much more serious issues like the enormous uneveness of difficulty harder content presents different build types.

And if anything you should be consolidating and reducing effects, not adding more. The answer to every game design problem is not to add more of everything and frankly I think this should be pretty obvious by now with the problems we have in the game stemming from this approach.

Thanks.

Taurnish
12-01-2017, 06:20 PM
The Small augment bag for T2 is gimpy especially considering the small bag only holds 10 unique augments/filigrees

Comparatively..
The Twelve
T0- Untrusted - 0 Favor - Small Ingredients Bag (30 unique items)
T1- Suspicious - 40 Favor -Grants access to Altar of Fecundity in Meridia and (another) Small Ingredients Bag.
T2- Friend of The Twelve - 100 Favor - Large Ingredient Bag (80 unique items)

Please change to
Tier 0 - The small augment bag (10 unique items)
Tier 2 - Large augment bag (40 unique items).
Tier 3 - Add a 6-pack of unslotting Tools.

I agree with Jot. The reward should be a little more "rewarding"

Splunge
12-01-2017, 06:23 PM

Sev~

Thanks for adding some info about this, but I'm even more confused now. What's the purpose of having eldritch blast deflection if enemies don't have it? Are there going to be enemies that shoot eldritch blasts at players?

SerPounce
12-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Thanks for adding some info about this, but I'm even more confused now. What's the purpose of having eldritch blast deflection if enemies don't have it? Are there going to be enemies that shoot eldritch blasts at players?

Come to think of it, having warlock mobs to beat on might be really cathartic for some of our forum friends.

Ravand
12-01-2017, 07:19 PM

Gee, thanks for implementing such a large change *120 HOURS* before the expansion is expected to go live. Too bad if we leveled a ranged or Warock toon to 30 expecting to jump right in on release day. Sigh.

Not against the "nerf" per se, but did it really have to appear with such short notice?!

Last, I appreciate the nod to Byron Scoutsword. He has been a faithful companion, saving Korthos with me over and over again as I TR'd.

Edit: I kept reading.

Sev~

Thanks for the update.

SirValentine
12-01-2017, 07:29 PM

Wrong. Alchemical weapons are considered named per recent dev post (emphasis added):

Crafted items are, generally, considered named items. Just a sub-category as far as our internal designations go.

This is why in the OP we specifically mention that Named weapons, excluding those crafted with specific systems, can become sentient. Simply saying named weapons would have included crafted ones.

Only certain specific systems are excluded. We're trying to find out whether Alchemical is one of those or not.

SirValentine
12-01-2017, 07:36 PM

I'm on the TR train currently, but I routinely used Alchemical as my main weapon from level 18 to, and at, 30. The question is, what else is better? Nothing at all in the 18-25 range, and nothing easy in the 26-30 range.

Grinding a Tier 3 LGS could have gotten me +1 to my caster stat, by upping from +1 to +2 Exceptional. But an Alchemical just flat out gave me a +2 stacking bonus.

Yes, conceivably I could have used Alchemical + LGS, but giving up the Slavers orb would have required a lot of other gear shuffling...it was on my list of things to maybe do eventually, but in the short-term, Alchemical continued to remain the best option.

SirValentine
12-01-2017, 07:58 PM
It scales better...

You guys keep using this line when you want to take more of the "Dungeons & Dragons" out of what you still try to call "Dungeons & Dragons Online".

elvesunited
12-01-2017, 07:59 PM

Sev~

So, much fear over something that will have little effect. Although it is odd that it would include warlock blasts if no monsters will have any deflection. Unless .....
Does that mean we've got some warlock monsters coming our way?

"Run! That hill giant is an enlightened warlock doing aura damage!"
"Don't worry! My Paladin has missile deflection of 75. I can tank him!"

Are any feats going to be changed for the new deflection ability?
such as shield deflection feat or deflect arrows,?

Qhualor
12-01-2017, 09:21 PM

Sev~

so my rant was for nothing!? not going to blame Coco because I think he/she did a great job with the layout of information and color coding, but something like that should have been better explained right from the beginning. you notice how it quickly turned bad and everyone running around shouting doom?

so this sounds like a good thing, I think if I am understanding it now.

shinsirhc
12-02-2017, 02:02 AM

Fully crafted Alchemical, Thunder-Forged and Toee weapon should accept sentient jewel. I don't get why this weapon are not included.. This weapon once fully crafted they stay that way it's not like LGS where you can remove the tiers and swap them everytime you want.

barecm
12-02-2017, 05:38 AM
Why do I worry this is a "solution" to constraining warlock effectiveness that comes in a form that punishes bow/crossbow users? Doesn't dodge already affect missile weapons? Did dodge affect blasts? So now there's a double dodge in place for missile weapons and one dodge for blasters?

Exactly. We already have dodge for missile attacks. Why do we need a second form of dodge for missile attacks?

John3000
12-02-2017, 07:00 AM

Sev~

Thank you Sev for clearing this up. This seems to make a lot more sense. :)

But could you explain to us how the other new stat "Deflection Bypass" is intended to be used ? Is it a Mob stat to allow certain champs, orange and red named mobs to still be able to hit PC players with high missile deflection ?

Cheers :)

TitusOvid
12-02-2017, 07:41 AM

Sev~

Thank you for clearing that up.
Would you clarify the reasoning behind this as well? For me it is still doing the same thing twice over. Why don't you change the existing feats and enhancememts or AC scripting?

Thanks in advance.

Rys
12-02-2017, 11:25 AM

Sev~

I would too, love to know, what is the reasoning behind adding yet another effect very similar to what we have already in the game. More importantly I am interested in knowing what is the reasoning behind:

'Missile Deflection: This grants a chance to have Missiles or Eldritch Blasts miss you,' when enemies don't use Eldrich Blasts.
'Deflection Bypass: This grants a chance to bypass an enemies Missile Defelction,' when enemies don't have any delfection.

Very confused.

SeveredSteel
12-02-2017, 11:40 AM
I would too, love to know, what is the reasoning behind adding yet another effect very similar to what we have already in the game. More importantly I am interested in knowing what is the reasoning behind:

'Missile Deflection: This grants a chance to have Missiles or Eldritch Blasts miss you,' when enemies don't use Eldrich Blasts.
'Deflection Bypass: This grants a chance to bypass an enemies Missile Defelction,' when enemies don't have any delfection.

Very confused.

Please allow me to explain. It's kind of like this thing that we put in. But we might not use the thing. Yet. Probably. We may or may not. Depending.

Rys
12-02-2017, 11:46 AM
Please allow me to explain. It's kind of like this thing that we put in. But we might not use the thing. Yet. Probably. We may or may not. Depending.

I am not that confused :P But it is fun too watch.

guzzlr
12-02-2017, 12:04 PM
I like it. I keep all of my augments in the crafting storage bank, so I don't need anything big. This is big enough to gather any augments I find and make it easier to dump them into crafting storage when I get around to it. AFAIK, there's no other in-game source of augment bags. I'm going to want one on each of my toons.

Fair enough. Not all rewards need to have value to everyone. I can live with it...or without it.

Hostyle
12-02-2017, 09:53 PM
So, much fear over something that will have little effect. Although it is odd that it would include warlock blasts if no monsters will have any deflection. Unless .....
Does that mean we've got some warlock monsters coming our way?

"Run! That hill giant is an enlightened warlock doing aura damage!"
"Don't worry! My Paladin has missile deflection of 75. I can tank him!"

Are any feats going to be changed for the new deflection ability?
such as shield deflection feat or deflect arrows,?

This. Would make a lot of sense.

Mr_Helmet
12-02-2017, 09:55 PM
Deflection Bypass: This grants a chance to bypass an enemies Missile Defelction.[/INDENT]

What the point of adding more garbage systems to your game when Armor Class and D20 to-hit covered all of this years ago?

J-mann
12-03-2017, 12:04 AM

Sev~

Sev, you do realize how increadibly tight modern gear sets already are, ESPECIALLY melee gear sets right? Adding another stat we need to gear is not going to help much of anything yaknow?

John3000
12-03-2017, 12:38 PM
Could you tell us if there will be a favor reward for reaching 60 "Keepers of the feather" favor points ? If yes, what is the planned reward ?

Is there a chance you guys could finally set/fix the missing favor rewards for "Purple Dragon Knights" and "The Gatekeepers" at the same time ? (because it's been a couple of years the favor threshold has been reached but with nothing to account for it)

Favor is an excellent design that pushes players to run all content, even those not time vs XP rewarding. It encourages new players to buy old packs. And creates more variety among listed LFMs. If you want ideas for favor rewards, let us know... I'm sure the player base has lots of ideas. ;-)

Cheers

Arkat
12-03-2017, 01:03 PM
Could you tell us if there will be a favor reward for reaching 60 "Keepers of the feather" favor points ? If yes, what is the planned reward ?

Already answered.

rehakp
12-04-2017, 06:12 AM
So new stat that deflefts mundane missiles and warlock blasts but nothing else ....
Ok i still dont see any logic behind that othar than:
"Hey i want to nerf ranged and i want to nerf warlock. I have crazy idea to do both with introducing only one new stat"
Whats next ? Introduction of new stat that reduces damage taken from halflings, great axes, firebolls and characters in robes ?

Please explain what logic is in this nerf ?

Vish
12-04-2017, 07:33 AM

Sev~

Sev,
You really think I believe this?
You guys are gonna stealth all kinds of stuff I bet
I hope so anyways,
I like there to be mystery with this realm
Ya, I know,
You're up against some stupid deadline...
And you're still gonna ship it,
I expect a hot fix on Friday, and then on Tuesday.
And you've been absent...
Like its an expansion,
Where is the commentary,
The guiding hand?
Oh well, youve messed the loot,
And I hope you mess it one more time
Even tho there's no time left
And sentient looks like you did it in a month,
Will you really support it?
Will it be the endgame?

Anyways, I bought the standard
So I'll go playing
And of course,
Beta testing
(imagine what a month of polishing would bring?)
(a sober new year?)
But I realize the commitment to play Santa claus
And in that regard,
I hope you and yours,
Have a merry Christmas!
;)

The_Human_Cypher
12-04-2017, 09:36 AM
I downloaded the Lamannia client this weekend and had to do a character copy from Argo to Lamannia as there was a wipe from the previous build. When I logged into my character and opened the Mists of Ravenloft pre-purchase bundle (The Raven token), I did not receive the Vampire Hunter outfit or the Raven pet.

Is this because my character was equipped with both of those cosmetics already? I also did not receive the Level 30 Scarecrow hireling, but it was already in my inventory from Argo. There were also no cosmetic pets in the Pets tab; I don't think I ever noticed this problem before when copying a character from Lamannia.

I just wanted to bring this to the devs' attention so there are no issues with the launch and the Mists of Ravenloft pre-purchase items on Wednesday.

Cocomajobo
12-04-2017, 02:12 PM
This third preview for the Ravenloft Expansion has concluded. Thank you to all those who came out and gave us feedback and bug reports! There are, at this time, no further previews planned before release of the expansion. We are very excited for the live release. =]

Fenix93
12-04-2017, 02:43 PM
This third preview for the Ravenloft Expansion has concluded. Thank you to all those who came out and gave us feedback and bug reports! There are, at this time, no further previews planned before release of the expansion. We are very excited for the live release. =]

I'm also happy with this preview I hope that with the latest feadback today you can still make changes and fix the bugs, but overall I want to congratulate you by SSG for having Reso ravenloft a reality in DDO, you have succeeded for me from my point of view to fully collect the atmosphere and the spirit of the setting, in addition I am glad that you remained faithful on many things to the campaign of the 5th edition of "Cursed of Strahd" where I presume you were based. But then I believe that Mist of Ravenloft is one of the biggest expansions after MoTU to have ever been implemented, and bodes well in the future, quibdi thank you for what you have done and I hope many will be able to sail the lands of Barovia .

P.S when logging in with a character in barovia marks as if the character is in the forgotten Realms ... this is the case and a bug? or has not yet been implemented a characters selection of Ravenloft-themed?

DYWYPI
12-04-2017, 02:52 PM
This Ravenloft preview, I did a couple of quests I hadn't done prior... It appears 'The Land of Barovia' wilderness is still repeatedly crashing the DDO Client. It happens every single time I enter that "Wilderness". Even if I finish a quest in there or leave the Barovia Tavern area(s), etc. So it looks like no improvement regarding it crashing of the DDO client; twice each and every time that wilderness area tries to initially load.

John3000
12-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Already answered.

Originally Posted by Cocomajobo View Post

Doh... my bad. Thanks. The Tier 2 seems a little lacking... it doesn't encourage players to rerun quests after TR, which is what favor should incite.
A +1 dodge or +1 racial AP that resets on TR would in my opinion be much better choices. Put the small augment bag (which doesn't hold alot) for sale with one of the vendors like you've already done with other bags.

And please fix Gatekeeper and PDK missing last tier rewards. ;-)

Cheers

Gabrael
12-04-2017, 03:38 PM
the cry of battle sentient set still list the same bonus for 2 and 3 piece set, just saying

Marupal
12-04-2017, 05:08 PM
This Ravenloft preview, I did a couple of quests I hadn't done prior... It appears 'The Land of Barovia' wilderness is still repeatedly crashing the DDO Client. It happens every single time I enter that "Wilderness". Even if I finish a quest in there or leave the Barovia Tavern area(s), etc. So it looks like no improvement regarding it crashing of the DDO client; twice each and every time that wilderness area tries to initially load.

Experienced this on one my desktops too. All the other comps in the household handled it just fine. Will have to see if there is something in the game settings I can adjust to get this to stop (like stencil shadows or something).

Really beautiful content and interesting loot! Looking forward to running through this with the family.

Nonesuch2008
12-04-2017, 06:11 PM
And please fix Gatekeeper and PDK missing last tier rewards. ;-)

Pretty please?

Celender
12-06-2017, 12:23 AM

Sev~

If no mobs will have deflection why bother having a bypass deflection effect? For PvP? This is not a PvP focused game. To increase player defense? Like ranged thrash mobs is hard to handle.

Now if you want to nerf WL even more ( warlock with 75% discount a week before nerfing it, nice move there.) make eldritch blast damage be mitigated by MRR like anyother magic!

JOTMON
12-06-2017, 10:08 AM

Sev~

This does bring up the question.. why are you implementing missile deflection if no current enemies are going to have deflection.

..thinking.. maybe its intended for players not enemies.

~are mobs are getting amped up ranged damage..

~are enemy warlocks are coming...

Cordovan
12-06-2017, 10:14 AM
This does bring up the question.. why are you implementing missile deflection if no current enemies are going to have deflection.

..thinking.. maybe its intended for players not enemies.

~are mobs are getting amped up ranged damage..

~are enemy warlocks are coming...

It's a better method of providing the benefit rather than relying on the heavily-scripted feats way of doing it. We are looking at ways to use it, perhaps as a new kind of Reaper that would pose a challenge to kiters and be good for melee, for example, but have not yet taken that step.

silinteresting
12-06-2017, 10:19 AM
It's a better method of providing the benefit rather than relying on the heavily-scripted feats way of doing it. We are looking at ways to use it, perhaps as a new kind of Reaper that would pose a challenge to kiters and be good for melee, for example, but have not yet taken that step.

a new reaper might be coming hmm interesting...

your friend sil :)

JOTMON
12-06-2017, 10:44 AM

That makes sense.

KingNite
12-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Yup sounds as an amazing idea to challenge them, make them miss 75% of the time so they take 3 times longer to kill that reaper, how challenging it will be! Pretty sure everyone is thrilled with that new challenge you guys work so hard to provide :)

PS. I just hope you guys give us a grind too that allows us accumulate enough % to bypass that awesome challenge of randomly misisng X% of the time depending on your weapon choice, if you are generous enough maybe you cound allow us to pay to skip or lessen that grind, that would be fantastic.

Yalinaa
12-06-2017, 05:01 PM

Who cares... So people will charm that reaper first, what a challenge!!