PDA

View Full Version : Running DDO within VMWare Fusion

Carpone
11-13-2017, 10:38 AM
Got fed up enough with the DDO Mac client getting stuck while zoning that I installed VMWare Fusion 10, Windows 7 Ultimate as a guest VM and DDO within that. The Windows DDO Client runs fine within VMWare Fusion with one exception: When holding the right mouse button to control the camera, it rotates through max up and max down positions of the camera as I move the mouse. I've tried the different presets (classic, FPS and default) and played around with the different Steer options under Key Bindings (MMO Interact/Steer, Classic Interact/Steer, etc) none of which solve the problem.

Bueller?

dunklezhan
11-13-2017, 11:40 AM
If you have more than one USB port available, see if you can dedicate that to the VM?

I know on a win10 PC you can sometimes have to do that kind of thing to get stuff like headsets to pass through properly. Maybe with Macs it's mouses?

Carpone
11-15-2017, 07:05 AM
That was a good suggestion. The solution is to dedicate the mouse to the VM instead of passing it through the host to the guest. This article describes the fix that worked: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1033435

Summary of steps to connect an external keyboard and/or mouse directly to your virtual machine:

Shut down the virtual machine that needs the mouse/keyboard.
Plug the second mouse/keyboard into your host.
Edit your virtual machine's .vmx file to include the lines below. For more information, see Locating a hosted virtual machine's files (1003880)

usb.generic.allowHID = "TRUE"
usb.generic.allowLastHID = "TRUE"

Power on your virtual machine.
Go to VM > Removable Devices.
Find and select your keyboard/mouse.
Click Connect (Disconnect from host).

Miow
11-15-2017, 07:57 AM
If you have more than one USB port available, see if you can dedicate that to the VM?

I know on a win10 PC you can sometimes have to do that kind of thing to get stuff like headsets to pass through properly. Maybe with Macs it's mouses?

Good job :)