PDA

View Full Version : More cosmetic options :)

vryxnr
10-28-2017, 12:16 AM
I love me some cosmetic options.

Better cosmetics ui and storage as well, of course.

But at this moment in time I want to draw attention to something we have in game that I would love to be able to transfer cosmetically. Shadow Dragonscale Armor Aura. We can apply cosmetic auras to cosmetic weapons, but AFAIK we cannot apply an aura to a cosmetic armor... but Shadow Dragonscale has an aura built in to it (so I know it can be done). I would LOVE to be able to take that aura (even if that's our only option. Though more aura options would be fantastic too) and put it onto my cosmetic armor and see what kind of neat effects/looks I can create.

Aelonwy
10-28-2017, 05:31 PM
Some months ago I proposed another cosmetic slot entirely that allowed us to add a cosmetic aura to ourselves. My initial suggestion was that they mimicked spell visual effects (without the spell buffs of course). So such easily replicated visual auras as blur, fireshield hot and cold, and yes thunderforged shadow should be available first.

TrinityTurtle
10-29-2017, 02:58 PM
I would also love more cosmetic items.

And a place to store them. Some sort of cosmetic item only bank or something.

And if I had my way, eye cosmetics would be separate from hats, so that I could wear my green glowy turtle eyes with a nifty hat of some kind. :)

bjones0064
10-29-2017, 09:13 PM
Is it sad that mabar cosmetics are blowing away the new expansion cosmetics by miles and miles?

Aelonwy
10-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Is it sad that mabar cosmetics are blowing away the new expansion cosmetics by miles and miles?

Yes. But then I think the expansion cosmetics are just way too plain. I can understand the Vampire Hunter being all black but they really should have made the noble outfit at least black and purple or black and red or something with some pizzazz.

vryxnr
10-30-2017, 02:39 PM

That is highly subjective, and thus not true for everyone. At least when and where I tend to play, I see significantly more people rocking the new Ravenloft cosmetics than anything from the Mabar/Night Revels, despite being around longer and having more opportunity to have been gotten by more people (and yes, I often still play with people who've been around for many years). I've heard people say 'meh, don't care for it' regarding Mabar/Night revels while loving the Barovian stuff, and I've heard people rave over them both, though I've heard much more positive in game comments about the Ravenloft stuff these last weeks. Sure, you can dismiss that as it simply being new, but it's not possible to have heard anything about it before the last few weeks as it didn't exist until recently, while Mabar/Night Revels cosmetics have been around for a long while, and I've heard both positive and negative reviews about them when they were new as well.

Regardless, I would like more cosmetic options. However, just asking for "MOAR EVERYTHING" (which I do want btw) is likely to be ignored or dismissed as far too much to do, so instead I'm proposing baby steps... and here (in my OP) I'm suggesting adding various Aura effects to the cosmetic armor slot, akin to what we can already do with cosmetic weapons, particularly as we already have armor-auras, both from spells as pointed out, and form the Shadow Dragonscale armors from Thunderholme, so much of the artistic work is already done. :)

Annex
10-30-2017, 03:29 PM
That is highly subjective, and thus not true for everyone.

Ayup.

In my opinion, the developers at Standing Stone face a real dilemma with the DDO cosmetic item system.

In a game like The Lord of the Rings Online, a player can select and dye individual pieces--Head, Torso, Legs, Hands, Feet, Shoulders, Cape. This allows players to express their creativity and select desirable pieces from developer created ensembles. When any piece of an ensemble can become useful for an outfit, players have reason to collect all the pieces.

In DDO, a developer decides the composition and colour of each outfit. The player must accept all or nothing. This results in far less player interest and thus far fewer sales.

It gets worse. The DDO storage system offers extremely limited capability and capacity. Even if DDO possessed a system for assembling outfits from individual pieces, the game lacks the means to collect and store such items.

If the developers at Standing Stone truly wish to make cosmetic items a revenue center they must break up the outfits into pieces, allow players to dye the pieces, massively overhaul and expand the storage system, and make the steady release of store purchased cosmetic items a priority. That will require a serious investment of developer resources.

Does DDO have enough population to pay for the creation of such a system? For Severlin, that is the question.

Again in my opinion, the most recent cosmetic outfits--Red Reaper's Platemail, Ravenloft Noble, Ravenloft Vampire Hunter--all look very professional. They may not fit my personal tastes but they certainly comprise quality artwork. The artist(s) at Standing Stone can deliver high quality work if allowed.

Also, thank you to Severlin for ending the embargo on cosmetic outfits. I did create one Reaper's Red Platemail and I will, eventually, purchase Ravenloft. My delay on the latter has absolutely no connection to the quality or composition of the new cosmetic items.

Hoglum
10-30-2017, 04:46 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l41m1mj9OYdrRJPe8/giphy.gif

vryxnr
10-30-2017, 06:02 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/l41m1mj9OYdrRJPe8/giphy.gif

He may be dancing in dirt. but he's also having the time of his life. That's what matters most imo, he's happy (doing something that isn't inherently hurting others). More power to him! :D

It's not about shiny high end graphics (there are many games out there that give way better graphics), but I'm glad there are some (would kinda suck if we could only see the wire-skeletons that form everything). Heck, I've argued that the current art style is a part of what makes DDO. It's not hyper-realism, which imo works well for a fantasy D&D inspired game like this (though sometimes I would love to see what a character/monster/area would look like with say, dark souls -esque graphics).

However, what I love the most - regardless of graphics or whatnot - is variety/options. Even in very early 8-bit and earlier games, customization/options were great additions and highly valued. I think we could and should have more. :)