PDA

View Full Version : Morninglord's "Word of Recall" spell.

Antheal
10-13-2017, 07:57 PM
It seems odd that the level 6 Divine spell "Word of Recall" would send a native of the Forgotten Realms to some random place in Eberron.

Perhaps there should be somewhere more appropriate for Morninglords to teleport to?

JOTMON
10-13-2017, 08:27 PM
It seems odd that the level 6 Divine spell "Word of Recall" would send a native of the Forgotten Realms to some random place in Eberron.

Perhaps there should be somewhere more appropriate for Morninglords to teleport to?

Good point..

also makes me wonder about the banish spell when Eberronians are in FR and when FR's are in Eberron...

cru121
10-14-2017, 12:31 AM
Perhaps there should be divine nook in Eberron and FR Hall of Heroes. And Word of Recall should point there.

Chacka_DDO
10-14-2017, 04:38 AM
I think a destination for all Eberron Churches and all Faerûn Churches in the Halls of heroes would make more sense than a destination only in a building that belongs to the Sovereign Host.
and for practical use, these destinations are better too.
But for lore reasons, it would be better to do more in my opinion.
If possible all Churches could have a small building in DDO.
In Eberron, Blade Lord in Cannith, Blood of Vol in Necropolis e.g..
And three buildings in Eveningstar for the Faerûn Churches.
I know the public areas in DDO are relatively small for an MMO but I think it is enough space for this.
For the Teleport spell the same, why no Teleport to Eveningstar? And of course more destinations for Greater-Teleport too.

Antheal
10-15-2017, 12:43 AM
If there was a church for each religion, then Word of Recall could act like the Arcane Teleport spell and give you a multiple choice selection of which church to warp to.

Or it could be tied to the Religion's Follower of Faith feat chosen at the first Divine level.

I think that would be fair.

Chacka_DDO
10-15-2017, 08:41 AM
If there was a church for each religion, then Word of Recall could act like the Arcane Teleport spell and give you a multiple choice selection of which church to warp to.

Or it could be tied to the Religion's Follower of Faith feat chosen at the first Divine level.

I think that would be fair.

I did a very small recherche and found this (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Word%20of%20Recall#content).
I think DDO should follow his own path and is only based on the 3.5 D&D rules in my opinion.
But it is good to take a look what the pen and paper ideas are when it comes to questions about game-lore.
And this tells me what I had initially thought makes sense.
With the spell Word of Recall, the caster can return to his sanctuary but this must be a location, such as a temple, dedicated to or strongly linked to your deity.
In Pen and Paper, it works as a mass spell too by the way.
Therefore if you want to follow the pen and paper development, the spell should be changed and we need more temples in the game for the different Churches.
And the current spell makes not much sense because it only works for the Followers of the Sovereign Host as it should.

the correct implementation in DDO would be if the caster could enter a Temple of his deity and there he can set a destination point for this spell.
So the spell needs to be divided into two spells, one for setting the destination and one to teleport him and his group to this location.

JOTMON
10-15-2017, 09:17 AM
For the Teleport spell the same, why no Teleport to Eveningstar? And of course more destinations for Greater-Teleport too.

Travelling between planes should require a planescaller or other means.. not any version of Teleport.
It should require a different or even higher level spell like.. Gate or Plane Shift.
Teleport is limited to the specific plane, Teleport when cast should only allow destinations within that plane, we should not be able to teleport back to Eberron from FR or any other planes.

Even word of Recall should not be able to transvers the planes.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wordOfRecall.htm

Eberron/FR may get some gray area pass due to Lolths 'Rift between worlds' causality effects..

and Eberron has some underlying differences with it becoming coterminous with various neighboring planes
http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Planes_of_Eberron

but ..
we should still have teleport spell destinations for travel within the FR plane..
I would of expected to see in our current realm situation requiring the use of two teleports to transverse Eberron/FR effectively utilizing a 2 point teleport through a midway station with the rift/hall of heroes as a bridging destination..

could even add a different teleport scroll..
add FR scroll vendors with a different teleport scroll that has FR destinations, this template could be copied across to other realms as they were added keeping destination pools smaller and only work in the appropriate realm.

Chacka_DDO
10-15-2017, 10:54 AM
Travelling between planes should require a planescaller or other means.. not any version of Teleport.
It should require a different or even higher level spell like.. Gate or Plane Shift.
Teleport is limited to the specific plane, Teleport when cast should only allow destinations within that plane, we should not be able to teleport back to Eberron from FR or any other planes.

Even word of Recall should not be able to transvers the planes.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/wordOfRecall.htm

Eberron/FR may get some gray area pass due to Lolths 'Rift between worlds' causality effects..

and Eberron has some underlying differences with it becoming coterminous with various neighboring planes
http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Planes_of_Eberron

but ..
we should still have teleport spell destinations for travel within the FR plane..
I would of expected to see in our current realm situation requiring the use of two teleports to transverse Eberron/FR effectively utilizing a 2 point teleport through a midway station with the rift/hall of heroes as a bridging destination..

could even add a different teleport scroll..
add FR scroll vendors with a different teleport scroll that has FR destinations, this template could be copied across to other realms as they were added keeping destination pools smaller and only work in the appropriate realm.

For the spell Teleport, I think it is maybe right what you say and I would basically agree with you that this all could be and maybe should be implemented correctly in DDO and should follow the pen and paper lore.
So you need to cast a spell for change the plane/realm first and then you can cast a teleportation within this plane/realm. And if this spell fails it should not only lead you to the marketplace.

But for practical use in DDO and because DDO is in fact quite small you could also assume the spell Teleport is just a bit more "mighty" as it should be.

The spell Word of Recall seems to be able to cross plane/realm borders in the 5th edition at least it tells no restriction regarding this. In the 3.5 version you linked, the spell got this restriction but you don't need to cast it in a temple, it must be just a "familiar" place so you could set this point basically anywhere within a realm/plane.

But nothing is caved in stone and rules can be changed in games even laws of nature can be changed in a game ;).

If you seek advice in pen and paper rules, I would look at the newest rules first. Because I assume, they were changed by someone who is familiar with the old rules and had good reasons to change them.
But in my opinion, DDO needs its own rules when it comes to details. Because it is not a tabletop game and not turn-based.