PDA

View Full Version : give bards a choice of buff instrument

TallMikeM
10-08-2017, 07:54 AM
Inspired by the thread about the new race and gypsy jazz, I would love to see bards be given a choice of instrument they play when they buff etc. Specifically I'd love to be able to chose to play the fiddle. I am sure this is sooooo far down the list of priorities that you'd need a telescope to see it, but thought I'd put it out there.

Chacka_DDO
10-08-2017, 01:26 PM
Different instruments and animations? yes, please!
In Ever Quest they had animations for lutes, flutes, and drums and even with the by far older graphic engine, you can see they move their fingers when they play flute or lute if I remember correctly. I had also some fun there to watch the different animations (the old character models were better animated than the new in my opinion) characters in DDO are overall far better animated than in EQ. But I can imagine, even more, different animations are possible to make the game look and feel even better.

I would like to add that bards should hide their weapons when they play an instrument (tested for Halfling and Dragonborn) the same for monk meditation, it looks quite odd if the characters have there weapons stabbed trough there heads if they meditate.
And the Dragonborn race got no running animation when they play an instrument, they just slide around with the animation as if they stand.
The inspire heroism Song plays no melody at all.
The Songs could/should have a volume bar (maybe sound volume for player characters or something).
by the way, I really like the animations and character models in DDO I just wish the awesome artists could use a more modern graphic engine.

Chacka_DDO
10-09-2017, 08:22 AM
And just as an addition, we could have an additional equipment slot for bard instruments like we have for quivers. This could decide what instrument the bard plays and this could also have an influence on the music magic of a bard. Maybe longer lasting songs or additional songs/rest or something. Or this equipment slot is just only cosmetic.

cpw_acc
10-09-2017, 09:59 AM
Unfortunately, my bard plays the harpsichord and has a heck of a time fitting that in his backpack

Aelonwy
10-10-2017, 11:44 AM
And just as an addition, we could have an additional equipment slot for bard instruments like we have for quivers. This could decide what instrument the bard plays and this could also have an influence on the music magic of a bard. Maybe longer lasting songs or additional songs/rest or something. Or this equipment slot is just only cosmetic.

I love this idea. Of course I love cosmetics. I have three bards, my bardificer hagglebard would like to play something that looks steampunk maybe a really cool looking accordion. My drow swashbuckler would like a harp, and my halforc warchanter wants a really big drum.

Selvera
10-10-2017, 11:51 AM
Unfortunately, my bard plays the harpsichord and has a heck of a time fitting that in his backpack

Man that's tough.

But just imagine me for a second; trying to lug around the church organ on my vampire-bard. But it's worth it because it gives me +3 to intimidate and +5 to style.

Chacka_DDO
10-10-2017, 12:49 PM
I love this idea. Of course I love cosmetics. I have three bards, my bardificer hagglebard would like to play something that looks steampunk maybe a really cool looking accordion. My drow swashbuckler would like a harp, and my halforc warchanter wants a really big drum.

funny ideas, I like your humor. I definitively would like to see something like this :D.

Man that's tough.

But just imagine me for a second; trying to lug around the church organ on my vampire-bard. But it's worth it because it gives me +3 to intimidate and +5 to style.

I could imagine a quest with such a church organ, and a bard is able to play it with effects for a fight or something.
Don't worry, I've understood the wit in your joke. But also this could be the basis of a serious Idea for a game.

cru121
10-10-2017, 02:03 PM
unfortunately animations are expensive to make. so... it's probably unlikely to ever happen.
that said, perhaps at least a recoloration of the little guitar would be possible...

Sir_Noob
10-10-2017, 02:26 PM
A didjeridu staff build!
I can see it now...

Chacka_DDO
10-10-2017, 04:48 PM
unfortunately animations are expensive to make. so... it's probably unlikely to ever happen.
that said, perhaps at least a recoloration of the little guitar would be possible...

It looks like you have to repeat it like a mantra ... we should not talk about effort and if you can practically do it. Here is room to dream a bit.
As I played Pong on an Atari as a little child (the game was already old at this time but a friend of my mother still owned it) I could not imagine something like DDO is one day possible.

Without any exaggeration, I sometimes think DDO is a human-made miracle that came true.

Nevertheless, DDO can get better and new animations are possible, of course not without additional effort.
Maybe SSG could try to introduce new fighting animations as a kind of expansion packs. If you buy them you see your and other characters swing there weapon different. Or even better everyone sees you got cool new animations for your character and want to buy them too. (I think I suggested this already)
And new animations for Instruments could be a part of this.

vryxnr
10-10-2017, 06:45 PM
Yes, yes, and more yes.