PDA

View Full Version : XP Tomes of Learning from Special Vendors

TimtheGreat89
10-07-2017, 12:02 AM
I realize that this may not happen anytime soon, but what if XP Tomes of Learning both Heroic and Epic could be gotten from Special In-Game Vendors that take Tokens of the Twelve. Heroic Tomes could be brought from Normal Tokens, while Epic Tomes could be brought from Greater Tokens. This is would make them Bound to Account, allowing players to get Tomes for their other toons. Think about it, for I've spent the entire day thinking this idea up. The Tomes would still be brought from the DDO Store of course. But wouldn't it be nice to have Special In-Game Vendors that sell them for Tokens? Something that Turbine could consider in the future.

doubledge
10-07-2017, 02:32 AM
There is no way in any way, shape, or form that XP tomes will become available for anything besides DDO points.

They are one of the game's biggest money earners (I've personally bought six of the damn things), and removing them will not only shoot the game in the foot, but will also cheese off anyone who bought tomes with real money.

TimtheGreat89
10-07-2017, 03:28 AM
There is no way in any way, shape, or form that XP tomes will become available for anything besides DDO points.

They are one of the game's biggest money earners (I've personally bought six of the damn things), and removing them will not only shoot the game in the foot, but will also cheese off anyone who bought tomes with real money.

Okay, I get that. It's just an idea, I am a crazy vision person that dreams up whacky things that are not part of reality.

Chacka_DDO
10-07-2017, 01:57 PM
I realize that this may not happen anytime soon, but what if XP Tomes of Learning both Heroic and Epic could be gotten from Special In-Game Vendors that take Tokens of the Twelve. Heroic Tomes could be brought from Normal Tokens, while Epic Tomes could be brought from Greater Tokens. This is would make them Bound to Account, allowing players to get Tomes for their other toons. Think about it, for I've spent the entire day thinking this idea up. The Tomes would still be brought from the DDO Store of course. But wouldn't it be nice to have Special In-Game Vendors that sell them for Tokens? Something that Turbine could consider in the future.

If I read this I just wonder why such tomes cannot drop in chests or appear in quest reward lists like all other tomes I know (at least I am not aware if they can). To make a vendor who sells them would be something new but in my opinion also not completely absurd.
I could imagine that vendors could sell such Tomes for Astral Shards like vendors also sell gold seal hirelings for Astral Shards.

TimtheGreat89
10-08-2017, 04:54 PM
If I read this I just wonder why such tomes cannot drop in chests or appear in quest reward lists like all other tomes I know (at least I am not aware if they can). To make a vendor who sells them would be something new but in my opinion also not completely absurd.
I could imagine that vendors could sell such Tomes for Astral Shards like vendors also sell gold seal hirelings for Astral Shards.

So you agree with my idea? That's great, because it could enhance the game in a good way for the future.

Chacka_DDO
10-08-2017, 06:11 PM
So you agree with my idea? That's great, because it could enhance the game in a good way for the future.

I would say I am neutral I just try to give constructive input. At the end, it doesn't matter if I agree or not. Because I think the feedback in this forum is not important. SSG should be happy to hear what you think and want.
For your suggestion, I would recommend to maybe tell why you think it could enhance the game in a good way for the future?

Annex
10-08-2017, 07:19 PM
I have long wondered why Vendors offer such a poor selection of items for Astral Shards. It seems like the Developers decided to abandon Astral Shards not long after their introduction.

Chacka_DDO
10-08-2017, 08:05 PM
I have long wondered why Vendors offer such a poor selection of items for Astral Shards. It seems like the Developers decided to abandon Astral Shards not long after their introduction.

Indeed, I wonder too. Anyway, I would say it would be smart to sell tomes for shards, and a lot of things you can buy for DDO Points could you sell for shards too. And it is not even hard to say how much shards, just an equivalent to the DDO point price. With this, they would earn more money as if they sell them only for DDO points. The whole DDO could be funded by a thriving economy between players. But that needs more economic knowledge than SSG seems to have.

Annex
10-08-2017, 08:43 PM
Indeed, I wonder too. Anyway, I would say it would be smart to sell tomes for shards, and a lot of things you can buy for DDO Points could you sell for shards too. And it is not even hard to say how much shards, just an equivalent to the DDO point price. With this, they would earn more money as if they sell them only for DDO points. The whole DDO could be funded by a thriving economy between players. But that needs more economic knowledge than SSG seems to have.

In my opinion, the Developers exercise considerable consideration and act in ways contrary to player opinion only because players rarely reach a consensus, knowledge unavailable to players bears upon the situation, and they absolutely must generate steady revenue. Of course, as human beings they sometimes make mistakes, like not immediately providing me with a Medusa bodyguard who levels with me. *le sigh*

I know Astral Shards met with significant resistance when introduced. A goodly number of players railed against the destruction of the Platinum Auction House and even now refuse to use the Astral Shard Auction House. From a game purist point of view, Astral Shards removed dedicated game play as the best means to acquire excellent treasure, replacing it with real world wealth as the best means. That sifted the Foundation of "DDO Society".

The Developers may have decided to let that fire burn itself out. However, times change and the current situation may favor an expansion of Astral Shards.

"What of the future?", she asked the Night Hag.

Chacka_DDO
10-09-2017, 04:30 AM
In my opinion, the Developers exercise considerable consideration and act in ways contrary to player opinion only because players rarely reach a consensus, knowledge unavailable to players bears upon the situation, and they absolutely must generate steady revenue. Of course, as human beings they sometimes make mistakes, like not immediately providing me with a Medusa bodyguard who levels with me. *le sigh*

I know Astral Shards met with significant resistance when introduced. A goodly number of players railed against the destruction of the Platinum Auction House and even now refuse to use the Astral Shard Auction House. From a game purist point of view, Astral Shards removed dedicated game play as the best means to acquire excellent treasure, replacing it with real world wealth as the best means. That sifted the Foundation of "DDO Society".

The Developers may have decided to let that fire burn itself out. However, times change and the current situation may favor an expansion of Astral Shards.

"What of the future?", she asked the Night Hag.

I have not studied economics even if something similar to business management was my profession. But I can say, even the existence of a second currency is already a strong indicator that something is entirely wrong. A currency reform is sometimes needed in an economy but there is never a second currency. In some exceptions, a second currency existed temporary but not permanent. And if you say, it is only a game, I think that's wrong. An MMO is not far from a state and it needs a lot of knowledge to do it right. I've heard, in World of Warcraft they hired studied economists who care about the economy of the game. This is for me one sign that the success of World of Warcraft is foremost based on hard solid work and not just some kind of accident is. I am sure the developers try their best in DDO, but it is obviously often enough not enough. And if players tell them that they are doing something wrong, they don't hear them anyway, because they are only players. Not that some players have professions and maybe know something better than they do. (just my perception of course)
I've heard, there were plans for a third currency in DDO. As I heard this... another player describes this with these words: what do the five fingers to the face say? SLAP! but at least they seem to have canceled this plans.