PDA

View Full Version : Ka is a Wheel: Next steps in TR Question

Ahlina_Las'Baelin
10-03-2017, 07:38 PM
So, here I am, returning to the game after a seven year hiatus...

I am on a Premium (not FtP or VIP) account so have to be cautious with my Favor-earned DDO Points. I want to do a new TR and really start to focus on *one* character rather than have a slew of sub-par characters.

I have a batch of characters (remember when to expand gameplay at level cap you made multiple alts?) that are all one-time True Reincarnates
1) Fighter14/Ranger6; formerly Barbarian
2) Cleric19.4; Formerly Cleric
3) Bard19.2; Formerly Bard
4) Artificer20; Formerly Rogue

I also have a first life Favored Soul at 21st level, and a Sorc13 (formerly Sorc) that could be leveled.

If you were in my shoes, which would you TR? Into what? and of course, the hardest question, "Why those choices?"

Thanks a bunch a bunch!

Fedora1
10-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Out of all the classes you have played so far, are there any you least enjoyed? Pick the one that already has that past life so it if you decide to go for completionist you already have it done.

Or does one have any special, hard to get, BTC gear?

Which one already has the most tomes applied?

Just some thoughts to consider. Any of the past lives (heroic) are about the same, and since it will be a 2nd TR you should be starting your next life with 36 build points, correct?

EDIT - Forgot to say welcome back!

blerkington
10-03-2017, 08:15 PM
If I were in your situation, three things I would look at are:

1. Did you dislike levelling any of those classes? If so, maybe choose that character because you've got that particular heroic life out of the way.
2. Are any of these characters significantly better geared than the others, eg greensteel items, a mysterious bauble, etc?
3. Does one of them have more DDO points invested into bags, inventory slots, tomes and other useful but non-transferable items?

Depending on what sort of character you'd like to play next, the past life feats you get from TRing might also be worth taking into account.

Anyway, welcome back and good luck with it.

Ahlina_Las'Baelin
10-03-2017, 08:35 PM
I left the game as TR was becoming a thing. Many of the +3 Tomes I had before got lost to early versions of TR.
Tomes: across the six mentioned characters, all have +2 everywhere, except the Arti has three +3 tomes, the Bard has one +3 and one +1 tome. The FvS also has one +1 tome. So that's not really a weight on the decision...

In regards to favorite/least favorite. I like playing my cleric, but she's best in a group. I am not sure of the viability of melees for soloing (my bard does fine, but she's a self buffing self healing (if need be) swashbuckler!) and I solo quite a bit. The Artificer is fine, and fun. The FvS is sooooo out of date I don't know if I like playing her or not... and the Sorc would be some work to get leveled. or, TL:DR... I don't know which is my favorite.

Tomes: across the six mentioned characters, all have +2 everywhere, except the Arti has three +3 tomes, the Bard has one +3 and one +1 tome. The FvS also has one +1 tome. So that's not really a weight on the decision...

About gear... it's all so old it needs to be replaced anyway! :lol: Newer versions of most of it give things like augment slots that weren't there before...

And yes, 36 point builds :D

Fedora1
10-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Swashbucklers were not a thing 7 years ago, is this character newly leveled since you came back?

Don't worry about your FVS being out of date, he should have a lesser heart of wood to make a do-over.

Tomes - +2 tomes are MUCH easier to come by (favor and AH) than +3s, so if your bard has +3s that might be a good reason to go with the bard.

Ahlina_Las'Baelin
10-03-2017, 09:14 PM
the Bard, she was a Bard19/Sorc1 then I TR'd her about two months ago (around the time I came back). She has a +3 CHA and +1 WIS tome. Some Greensteel gear (phase two mana goggles and a Devotion GS Longsword (she was a hell of a medic before the Cleric Enhancements made them king of that heap!). Even a Dragontouched Shroud (with obligatory cosmetic cover, cause damn, DDO that looks like ship!)

The Arti or the Bard seem most likely candidates, but as I said, I can only do this every so often with my limit on DDO Points...

And the fighter has the most GS gear, debuff resisting goggles and HP Necklace as well as an arsenal of GS Blades

blerkington
10-03-2017, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure if you remember this, but you don't have to spend any DDO points to reincarnate.

You can buy the heart needed for reincarnation by acquiring epic dungeon tokens (for TRing and RRing) or heart seeds (for IRing and ERing).

So your DDO points can be spent on other things, like adventure packs if there are some you're missing or other store items that can't be bought in game.

Perhaps you already understood this, but when I looked at your post again the fact that you mentioned DDO points in connection with questions about reincarnation made me wonder.

Thanks.

Fedora1
10-04-2017, 04:29 AM
The Arti or the Bard seem most likely candidates, but as I said, I can only do this every so often with my limit on DDO Points...

As previous poster said, you don't need to (and shouldn't) spend DDO points for this. Run DA on EN or any of the quests that give fragments of the token of the twelve (or challenges). Even soloing it doesn't take too long to acquire the 20 needed for a heart.

CPDK9
10-04-2017, 10:32 AM
You mentioned you liked playing the Cleric, so here is a recommendation along those lines. You should have a free heart because of the recent addition of domains. Use that to reset the Cleric into a "Light Cannon" type build. You'll want to choose sun as your domain. I have had very few problems soloing this type of build and with plenty of SLAs (thanks to domains) in the rotation rarely run out of SP. Grind out 20 tokens running Devil Assault on Epic Normal and you have enough tokens to TR if you need to change your race. I find that Sun Elf works the best for myself.

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/472000-Iconic-Builds-for-New-Players

Scroll down the thread to the Sun Elf Lightbringer.

Ahlina_Las'Baelin
10-04-2017, 03:46 PM
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input :)

And especially thank you for reminding me about the Token farming! (as much as I love farming...)

Fivetigers33
10-04-2017, 04:24 PM
Others have previously mentioned these things, but i'll reiterate for you. Here are the things I would consider which picking which toon to focus on:

Does one toon have more BtC gear that you want to be using? I know you said one toon has a bunch of GS swords, buf if you want to play cleric the swords may be irrelevant.
Does one toon have more ability tomes (higher than +2) than the other toons?

In terms of which toon to pick based on past lives, I'll say the bard past lives are not all that in the grand scheme of things. Unless that toon falls into one of the categories above, that'd be the last one I would focus on, and I love playing bards. Even if you want to play a bard, I'd take 1 fighter and 1 barbarian past live over 2 bard lives any day of the week. Here's my past life analysis for your reading pleasure.

Artificer/Rogue - solid all around choice. UMD + trap saves
Cleric/Cleric - pick this one if you intend to focus on conjuration spells and/or turning undead
Fighter/Barb - the best pick for melee tactics (warchanter spinning ice!)
Bard/Bard - nope

C-Dog
10-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Welcome back!

I'm premium too, and I, too, came back after a haitus to a half-dozen loved and carefully nurtured "main" alts. So I know where you are. Some observations from my similar experience...

1) Once you focus on a main, DDO points will start to rain down as you level them with new quests. Well, maybe not "rain", but at least enough for new packs/etc., if not every bell and whistle you could lust for. Wait for stuff to go On Sale, keep an eye out for PUG's doing quests you haven't done, and you'll be fine.

2) All your old alts have been given free +20 Hearts of Wood, and all alts now start with Lesser Hearts of Wood, so rebuilding is no problem. (And anything w/ existing Cleric levels got a 2nd LHoW, via the recent Domain pass!) I suggest you start here (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/470423-Build-Repository?p=5759353&viewfull=1#post5759353) and get a feel for where the game has gone recently. Bards, Clerics, Favored Souls, Monks, Paladins - hey, since you've been gone, all the classes have had a pass (or two!) and been upgraded. All(?) classes can now melee decently, and all(!?) classes can find a way to self-heal in one form or another. This ain't the Cleric you last saw.

2.1 Plus, via Fred you can change all your Feats without a HoW. He's also helpful for trying to reconstruct the build-order for Feats, and classes for old multi-class characters that you can't remember. (http://ddowiki.com/page/Fred).

3) People ask what you liked least - meh, decide what you like to run. With few exceptions, it's possible to go ranged, caster or melee and still end up with a dominant Past Life of your pick for TR purposes. There are also several "TR Templates" (e.g. Warlock 9, or Bard 5/Ftr 3, etc., etc.) that you can then glom any class on to, and cruise on the merits of that template's base abilities. That also saves on recycling gear! (Also, you can save the +20 HoW, and use it to "skip" your least favorite TR life, by changing to that as Dominant Class right before TR.)

4) Epic (20+) questing is now a thing. Epic TR @ 30 gets you benefits for your future Heroic past lifes, as well as making future Epic lives better. And (arguably) 20 to 30 goes faster than 1 to 20. Trick is to ER from 30 to 20, then (after closing/re-opening game, ahem - diff discussion) HR from 20 to 1, level back to 30, rinse, repeat. Not for everyone, but it's the "recommended" path.

5) Reaper is now a thing - MUCH more XP if you can run Reaper difficulty, esp at-level (or slightly above!). So if you're interested in catching the TR train, Reaper is def the fast track (ooh, apt metaphor! :D). Melee'ing Reapers is def the hard road, so consider leaning toward ranged or casters if heading that direction.

o http://ddowiki.com/page/Reaper_difficulty

6) On that note, the DDOWiki is your friend. Or, at least, your know-it-all neighbor. Drop by if you have any quick questions.

7) Lastly - don't rush in to anything. Those LHoW's can save you from a mistake, but only once. Look at some recommended builds, see if you can reset your Enhancements (and maybe one Feat via the Hall of Mark?) and get a feel for the game play before committing - it's only plat, and these days plat is easy.

And any questions, we'll be here. ;)

GL!
o/

CPDK9
10-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the responses, I appreciate the input :)

And especially thank you for reminding me about the Token farming! (as much as I love farming...)

Forgot to mention that I changed the AP spread for a few reasons. I did not pick up searing light in divine tree since you get that as a SLA and shares the same cooldown timer. I also dropped getting sunburst in the sun elf tree since you also get it as a SLA and has a fairly short cooldown so no need to double-dip. The saved points I believe I dumped into Radiant Servant.

korgzz_bloodaxe
10-13-2017, 02:15 AM
Artificer is in a very good position at the moment. They are one of the most powerful classes without the need for a lot of past lives - similar to a rogue mechanic gxbow build. I would recommend playing with your arty a bit and maybe trying to farm some of the newer items to make your TR a bit smoother. If you are considering an Arty pick up a low level vorpal repeater and you are pretty much good all the way to 20 and if you get a fatal flaw all the way to 30.

Niminae
10-15-2017, 02:19 AM
Artificer is in a very good position at the moment. They are one of the most powerful classes without the need for a lot of past lives - similar to a rogue mechanic gxbow build. I would recommend playing with your arty a bit and maybe trying to farm some of the newer items to make your TR a bit smoother. If you are considering an Arty pick up a low level vorpal repeater and you are pretty much good all the way to 20 and if you get a fatal flaw all the way to 30.

I agree for the most part, but I have to point out that the Fighter Kensai tree provides better utility for repeaters (and at about the same AP cost) than the Artificer Battle Engineer tree does. A build which combines the two has a lot of synergies. For either a pure Artificer or a Fighter/Artificer build, the Harper tree is key for the Int to hit and Int to damage Enhancements, despite the spells the Artificer has which duplicate the same utility as both of those. The high Int also supports a strong trapping role.