PDA

View Full Version : Lock to Backpack Tab/Inventory Slot

vryxnr
09-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Maybe it's just me, but I like to keep my character's inventory somewhat organized. For me, each backpack tab is for a specific type.group of equipment. One for weapons/gear, one for scrolls, one for wands, one for potions, one for bags and collectables that don't go into bags, etc.

What bugs me is that ATM whenever you change gear (use a scroll/wand change weapons for a specific situation, etc) it puts what you've "swapped" out into the next open inventory slot, and when you "swap" back it puts that into the next open inventory slot (meaning it doesn't actually swap it from where it was in your inventory, it just mixes everything, kept re-usable gear and found loot, into one jumbles mess from left to right). Post-quest is now a ritual of selling everything so I can see where my kept re-usable gear is, then moving them all back to where I want them.

I would live to be able to lock gear into specific inventory slots or backpack tabs with a toggle much like the 'junk' and 'do not sell' toggles we currently have. Heck, I'd also love to be able to designate a backpack tab as the priority loot tab, so that found loot will go there first before finding the next empty slot anywhere.

Don't know how complicated such would be, but a man can dream can't he?

*dares to dream*

Chacka_DDO
09-30-2017, 06:29 AM
even if I know it is somehow stupid of me I have the same"problem" I don't like if my items change their place in my inventory and I don't like if items I just looted appear somewhere in my inventory only because a slot in the firs back pack has become free.
Also, I don't like if I have to search for a quest item inside a quest, like the voice or ring in the vault of night.
I know the second tab works better in those cases because there you have a search function, but it bothers me anyhow because I'm still used to the first system.
So what could be the solution?
for the changing places problem, i think it could be possible if you use an item, the used item just not disappear completely in your inventory slot, it leaves a placeholder, this way you would loose max 16 inventory slots because items appear in your equipment slots and in your inventory slot.
They don't leave placeholders if you actively drag those items from your inventory in the equipment slots. Only if you equip items with a shortcut bar they leave placeholders.

https://i.imgur.com/j5FUuGK.jpg

The placeholder and the item disappear if you put an item into a bank.
In the UI settings you could have the option: Items leave placeholders in your inventory (when equipped with your shortcut bar).
This should solve the problem, but there might be better ideas.

Mglaxix
09-30-2017, 10:08 AM
If you take the time to organize your inventory and realize that the only items that move when changing them is your handed items you can keep the rest of your inventory sorted out nicely. For instance all my goggles, trinkets, pots, rings, armors, boots, helms, bracers, cloaks, etc... are in a row and they stay in exactly the same row, however weapons, scrolls, shields, wands are handed and can move stuff around a little. So by keeping my main gear to the last tabs the only sorting I must do is for the handed items from time to time. Hope this helps

https://image.ibb.co/fq4zLb/Inventory.jpg

PsychoBlonde
09-30-2017, 11:39 AM
I suggested some time ago that they make it so that items that leave your hands go into the LAST available inventory slot instead of the FIRST one, so your useable items end up in your last slot while your loot goes into your first slot. It would at least keep them separate and be quite easy to implement, because you'd more or less have to change the line of code from "Find first empty inventory slot" to "find last empty inventory slot".

Chacka_DDO
09-30-2017, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the input and you are partially right, but try it out for yourself, the items for each inventory slot must be sorted in your way. And if you change the items they change the position within the row. But the system collapses totally if you use sometimes a shield and a weapon or a two handed weapon or two weapons or if you use scrolls and you used a full stack of this scrolls, then you have inventory slots free and those inventory slots get filled with new loot from chests, and after a while your inventory is no longer ordered.
So your system lessens the problem but it doesn't solve it and it is some additional work.
You may think about my solution, It completely removes the problem because all items turn back to their positions before you used them. no item changes to a position other than the ones assigned to it, not within a row or even to a completely different position.
Just for items you consume like potions and scrolls you have still slots that get free, scrolls and potions could also leave a placeholder after the complete stack is consumed, and the next time you refill your stock they go first in the placeholder places. For those items it is just need to stacks with a size of 0 possible. Those zero size stacks could grey out when only 0 scrolls or potions or spell ingrediesnts are left in the stack.
But if you put every consumable after your equipment this should be a minor problem anyway.
Sure only a developer can do the change I suggest, but this forum is there for this reason.
And something that would be even better is additional space just only for fresh loot. I called it a “loot bag” in another Suggestion, this ensures you know always where your fresh loot goes to. And quest items (those items droping on leaving a quest) could have special invetory slots where they go to and you could drag this inventory slots in a shortcut bar and if you pick a quest item you have instantly access to it, without searching in your inventory in any way (I think I made no suggestion regarding this already)

Chacka_DDO
09-30-2017, 11:51 AM
I suggested some time ago that they make it so that items that leave your hands go into the LAST available inventory slot instead of the FIRST one, so your useable items end up in your last slot while your loot goes into your first slot. It would at least keep them separate and be quite easy to implement, because you'd more or less have to change the line of code from "Find first empty inventory slot" to "find last empty inventory slot".

I hope I make not a logical mistake but if I see it right, also this only lessens the problem but items stilll move in your inventroy around when you consume items and when your inventroy is completely full (happens to me all the time) or if you use a two handed item or two items in your main and off hand

PsychoBlonde
09-30-2017, 04:19 PM
You may think about my solution, It completely removes the problem because all items turn back to their positions before you used them. no item changes to a position other than the ones assigned to it, not within a row or even to a completely different position.

It would also require completely re-writing how the entire inventory works to let an item essentially occupy 2 slots at the same time (your hands and also a "saved" slot in your inventory).

The bugs could be catastrophic.

And what happens if you transfer the saved item to your bank/shared bank? Does it unlock from that inventory slot?

This is an incredibly complex way to sort inventory, and UI improvements are VERY low priority from what I've seen.

Chacka_DDO
09-30-2017, 09:24 PM
It would also require completely re-writing how the entire inventory works to let an item essentially occupy 2 slots at the same time (your hands and also a "saved" slot in your inventory).

The bugs could be catastrophic.

And what happens if you transfer the saved item to your bank/shared bank? Does it unlock from that inventory slot?

This is an incredibly complex way to sort inventory, and UI improvements are VERY low priority from what I've seen.

Sounds dramatic... I assume Microsoft must develop a new Operating system and Intel an all new CPU from the scratch but I have faith, in an act of national effort like the landing on the moon, it can be accomplished! (I hope you get it as joking in a friendly way ;) )
But seriously I have some trust in the abilities of the DDO development team to get such things done quickly if they have it once on there to do list.
And what I suggest is basically not far from what happens with the shortcut bars. It is nothing really new. At best a smart way to use what is already there.
By the way, the items don't appear twice, it is just a placeholder.
Of course, I don't expect it must happen, I tried to find a solution for a problem I see.
Actually, I write another Suggestion and I expect it will never happen, but I do it anyhow ;). At the moment I have some fun doing it.
And I know this problem appears only in the first inventory UI and not in the second, maybe if they rework the UI for the inventory it is completely gone because it is maybe a UI similar to the second option we have now. Even if the first version still feels better for me and I would more like it would be improved but I can deal with the second version too.
For me, this issue was not that big to start a thread here, but I see someone else has the same issue and opened a thread, so I try to contribute.
You and Mglaxix (he had to find a workaround) seem to have the same issue, sure for me, it is also not a big issue, just an annoying little detail.
But such details can spoil the game experience or It can brighten your day If you get aware how smart some problems are solved.
A good example is the volume bar in the Party, if they would not have announced it in a patch note and if they don't where hidden in the first version after they made it perfect, I would maybe just one day discover, if one click on the small speaker symbol there is this function, and I would wonder if this was always there and I just did not tried it.
Or if you drag a store bought item in your shortcut bar and it is consumed, it grays out and if you right click it the store opens with the right item so you can buy more without the need to search for it in the DDO store. If I would ask in this forum here for such a function, I would be surprised if anyone supports this idea. But the yes-man will jump in and tell me this is not need, everything is there, you got a search function in the DDO store, don't bother the developers ... etc. I also don't need this but I appreciate it anyhow.
DDO is full of such nice solutions, most time you don't see them. Why? Because they are well made and they work just fine!