PDA

View Full Version : Some things for reaper difficulty

Chacka_DDO
09-13-2017, 10:20 AM
First of all, I really enjoy the Reaper difficulty because they theoretically bring group playing back to the game. You need each other for healing and it is once again a challenge and you really need all those character improvements and gear you worked for, to be prepared for reaper! I only play reaper now, even if it is sometimes frustrating if I am forced to give up and start a quest after hour(s) all over again, but this risk is part of the fun for me!

But there are a few things I really would like to be different.

1. If one party member wants to take the role of a healer he should be able to fully heal himself!
This could be done with a healer stance similar to the defensive stance everyone gets. In this healer stance, you fully heal yourself on Reaper, that's the only benefit. But if you can fully heal yourself every offense ability is cut down to uselessness. This includes all your intimidation rolls fail, all caster DC checks against monsters fail, you always miss your attacks your can not cast spells on monsters at all etc.

2. Champions that do additional damage when they hit you or cast spells on you or who apply a damage over time effect on you should have an internal cool down for this or they should have only a 7% chance for it. A player also got this on most similar enhancements and epic destinies or past lifes, with a simple reason, under some circumstances those additional damages are to powerful, if they don't have such a internal cool down. And with the same reason champions should have this restriction too. On some of them it is just to powerful e.g. if a champion casts Magic missile and with one cast they apply there maximum stack size of there DoT on you. I know you might say reaper is supposed to be hard, but this feels just wrong!

3.The duration nerfs of crowd control spells are the wrong way to increase reaper difficulty. The monster should hit strong and they should be more dangerous with more skulls in Reaper! But a player must have something to counteract it. At the end crowd control spells get almost useless and this makes the game just poor.

4. The lock out if someone leaves a reaper quest is just wrong! He leaves his party behind and now no one else can enter the quest anymore and no one can prevent that. This means the only circumstance where this would acceptable, is when you start a quest with a full party. But practicality this is not an option. On Gallhanda I can most time start a reaper group and even after hours NO one joins, therefore I am forced to start solo and hope maybe someone joins me...
But often enough if someone joins, he sees he is just not ready at all to do Reaper. Then he gives up and leaves me with the effect that no one else can join me thereafter.
And don't get me wrong I can live with the risk that only 4 others can join me when one leaves, but no one else?
Therefore, if someone leaves a dungeon you know when he tries to reenter because this appears in the experience report. At this moment you can inhibit the reentry of this character. And you can lock an instance if 6 (or12 in a raid) different characters did something in the quest, kill a single monster, do a trap discover a secret door or do a breakable.
So, no re-entry and not endless new fresh characters to get a quest done is ok to increase the difficulty in Reaper.
But please do it right, you can do it better! (by the way, currently your system can be completely bypassed if you know how and I expect a nerf of this, but if you going to touch this subject again, do it right please).

EllisDee37
09-13-2017, 10:43 AM
1. If one party member wants to take the role of a healer he should be able to fully heal himself!
This could be done with a healer stance similar to the defensive stance everyone gets. In this healer stance, you fully heal yourself on Reaper, that's the only benefit. But if you can fully heal yourself every offense ability is cut down to uselessness. This includes all your intimidation rolls fail, all caster DC checks against monsters fail, you always miss your attacks your can not cast spells on monsters at all etc.Agreed. I suggested this during the reaper preview. Specifically, the second Radiant Servant Core:

Pacifism
Toggle: You gain 25 Positive Energy Spell Power and 3% Positive Energy Spell Critical Chance, but have -50 Spell Power and cannot critically hit with other spell damage types, and deal -1[W] damage.

I lobbied (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/481600-Self-healing?p=5907996&viewfull=1#post5907996) to change that to:

Pacifism
Pacifism: Toggle: You gain 25 Positive Energy Spell Power and 3% Positive Energy Spell Critical Chance, but have -50% Spell Power and cannot critically hit with other spell damage types or weapons, and deal -1[W] damage. You do not suffer a self-healing penalty in Reaper mode.

Increase the penalties to whatever makes sense to strongly encourage healbotting while it's active. I'm thinking the above would do it: You can't critical hit with anything (spells or weapons) except healing spells.