PDA

View Full Version : A global chat channel and/or global chats grouped by level (1-6, 7-12...)

PwnHammer40K
08-13-2017, 12:39 PM
Upon returning to this great little game after a hiatus of several years, I feel that it has become a little too quiet, sadly.

Cannith, at least, feels like a ghost town. I really miss the banter in General/Trade/Advice channels.

Maybe we could have a global chat channel that all players autojoin-on-login?

Even if that would become too annoying/spammy (without proper moderators, which it seems SSG cannot afford at the moment), I think it would be better than the current death-knell-like silence..

Also, how about reorganizing the Advice channel into channels grouped according to level? Like, a global channel for level 1-6 characters, another for 7-12, and so on. This could really help with advice, trading and LFGs/LFMs.

PsychoBlonde
08-15-2017, 05:35 PM
I'd like 3 global channels: general, trade, and advice. Server-wide.

cdbd3rd
08-15-2017, 10:46 PM
[[edit: Subtract a NO vote. I misread the question. I saw the "grouped by level" bit and missed the "or".]] :(

I think globalizing the channels would be the way to go.

Once again, using LOTRO as an example. They expanded the chat channels to /World and makes for much better conversations (usually) while crafting or Deed hunting.

Annex
08-16-2017, 02:45 AM
The suggestion has absolutely no downsides but keep it to Global General, Global Advice, and Global Trade as Psychoblonde suggests.

New players would see a much more lively game with people actually talking. People with questions could actually reach people who know the answers. People looking for help could get it from the general population. Guilds could advertise to a much wider audience in greater detail, helping funnel players into supportive peer groups.

The only counter argument concerns trolls taking over a channel but putting such channels on a separate tab or opting out resolves that issue entirely.

Keladon
08-16-2017, 04:38 AM
+1 For global chat channels.

I honestly don't know why this wasn't implemented years ago, I'd prefer overly busy channels over unused ones.

Teslana
08-16-2017, 03:05 PM
I just returned to the fora after an amazingly long time of not posting just to make this suggestion this myself. World chat would be an absolutely incredible thing to have in-game and, as has already been said, it's worked really well in LOTRO for fostering a sense of community - it keeps the world alive, even if you've been questing alone for hours.

I don't know why it hasn't been done yet (in all these years, I never truly understood why we didn't have it in the first place), but I really, really think it would be a boon to the game. I just asked a simple question in the harbour (about whether there was a world chat or not!) and got not a single peep from another player, which must be incredibly disheartening for new players who haven't got/don't want a guild and who need advice, guidance or support.

Please add it as soon as is possible, SSG - let us all laugh, joke, plan, sympathise and generally chat to each other (it can always be switched off by players who are RPing or not interested) :)

I'd vote against level-splitting the general world chat, however, as it keeps more experienced players separated from the very people who they could most help; various factors have led to players been split off into different groups over the years (guilds, elite streak, hirelings, expansions, reaper, etc.) and it'd be great to have a place where we can all just hang out together in-game, new and old.

Arch-Necromancer
08-16-2017, 03:38 PM
I support this only if it could be disabled in the options.

I sometimes find chatting in the general window irritating when I play quests solo and would rather see other quest-related information in the window and not some people chatting.

PsychoBlonde
08-16-2017, 03:53 PM
I support this only if it could be disabled in the options.

I sometimes find chatting in the general window irritating when I play quests solo and would rather see other quest-related information in the window and not some people chatting.

You can always switch to a different tab or change which text types appear in which tabs. Since this already exists, of course any NEW types would also be able to be changed.

Arch-Necromancer
08-17-2017, 06:24 AM
You can always switch to a different tab or change which text types appear in which tabs. Since this already exists, of course any NEW types would also be able to be changed.

If this would be a new tab I wouldn't mind, but it shouldn't be a default one selected after logon (unless it is a choice in the options). i don't want to switch to General every time i log on so I don't have to "listen" to all server people chatting.