PDA

View Full Version : Best Epic Past Life Feat?

Annex
07-31-2017, 05:17 PM
Good day!

So, I just finished up Epic go round number thirteen. For my next Epic Past Life Feat I have a choice of:

3 Physical Resistance Rating
~4 Armor Class
~11 Hit Points
1% Elemental Absorption

I play a solo Rogue Assassin (Cat Burglar for those who follow along) in Epic Levels.

Physical Resistance Rating varies from ~70 to ~120 depending on Level and Destiny.
Armor Class varies between ~60 to ~80 depending on Level.
Hit Points vary between ~500 and ~1,000 depending on Level and Destiny.
Elemental Absorption runs at 3% and she has Improved Evasion. She uses Divine Energy Resistance at all times (accept after tea and cookies with the occasional Beholder). From L24 on she wears Orc Privateer Boots.

So which option actually offers the greatest defensive benefit? I am thinking...Physical Resistance Rating then Armor Class.

Mindos
07-31-2017, 06:37 PM
Good day!

So, I just finished up Epic go round number thirteen. For my next Epic Past Life Feat I have a choice of:

3 Physical Resistance Rating
~4 Armor Class
~11 Hit Points
1% Elemental Absorption

I play a solo Rogue Assassin (Cat Burglar for those who follow along) in Epic Levels.

Physical Resistance Rating varies from ~70 to ~120 depending on Level and Destiny.
Armor Class varies between ~60 to ~80 depending on Level.
Hit Points vary between ~500 and ~1,000 depending on Level and Destiny.
Elemental Absorption runs at 3% and she has Improved Evasion. She uses Divine Energy Resistance at all times (accept after tea and cookies with the occasional Beholder). From L24 on she wears Orc Privateer Boots.

So which option actually offers the greatest defensive benefit? I am thinking...Physical Resistance Rating then Armor Class.

I go with hitpoints first. Thinking, if you dead, it don't matter what else you got.

DrawingGuy
07-31-2017, 07:14 PM
The math varies so much here, but in general I'd say AC past lives > PRR > HP > 1% absorbs. Don't ignore your AC items, augments, and buffs, and you can have effective AC on even cloth based casters making the AC past lives stronger. My dump-Dex cloth based casters can break 80 on AC. You should be able to push 100.

10 base
1 Armor Ritual
6 Ship
6-8 Natural Armor augment (pre 20 use potions)
6-8 Deflection Augment (pre 20 use GS or potions)
5-8 Insightful (parrying is a good source of this)
4 Shield buff (should be used from 1 to 30 for both +4 AC as will a MM immunity - wands/scrolls can be bought in Marketplace)
15-21 Armor bonus (assuming you're wearing Light)
6 Tensers Transformation (Tenser's may only last a minute, but is a strong buff and worth using before combat. +4 Dex means you're getting 2 more AC on top of the 6)
----
59-72 before considering AC enhancements, feats, or better AC gear.

Add in Dex, and even a very conservative 60 Dex as you are a Rogue, should put you in the 80s assuming no further investment. You are in the effective AC range, and every Epic Past Life will make it only better. The diminishing return of AC is actually less severe than that of PRR, though obviously you want both.

As for PRR vs HP, your range of PRR and HP actually would flip whether 3 PRR or 11 HP is better depending where they are at the scale you listed. If you have an active preference, go for that, otherwise you can keep it simple with going for PRR first then HP.

Unfortunately the passive of Arcane past lives are pretty lame. They matter a little in quests like Black and Blue or the raid, but after getting the 3 for the slot, I'd save these for last even on a caster unless you really want a different active.

Annex
07-31-2017, 11:59 PM
The math varies so much here, but in general I'd say AC past lives > PRR > HP > 1% absorbs.

Thank you for the very helpful reply!

At L30 my armor class is as follows:
10 Base
19 Dexterity (49 Dexterity)
21 Armor Bonus (L26 Light Shadow Dragonscale Armor)
5 Natural Armor (Unyielding Sentinel Unbreakable Stance)
6 Deflection Bonus (Augment Protection +6)
1 Dodge Bonus (No clue where this comes from)
20 Misc Bonus (15 from Martial Past Life x3; 5 from Epic Spare Hand Riposte)
7 Feat Bonus (6 Guild Bonus; Unsure where last point comes from)
89 Total
4 Shield
93 Total

With the exception of my Shadow Dragonscale Armor, all my equipment is L24 for leveling from L24 to L30. I do not have L30 equipment since I always go round again. I do have 3 open Green Augment Slots so I will look for a Natural Armor +7 Augment. I could also upgrade my Protection Augment to +7. I carry bracers that allow me to cast Shield 5 times per rest for 5 minutes each. I never thought of using Tensor's Transformation or the Alchemical Ritual and will give those a try!

I go with hitpoints first. Thinking, if you dead, it don't matter what else you got.

Thank you! If I recall correctly, I took three Primal Past Lives very early on for just that reason. My hit points were terribly low.

Saekee
08-01-2017, 07:51 AM
the gains of 3 PRR might outweigh those hp, especially when incoming hits are high. That is a rogue's weak spot. Math people, where art thou?

Annex
08-01-2017, 09:17 PM
Since I run three accounts, Sophie's Auntie took Hit Points (she had no choice), Sophie's sister took Armor Class, and Sophie took Physical Resistance Rating and +1 to Saving Throws.

the gains of 3 PRR might outweigh those hp, especially when incoming hits are high. That is a rogue's weak spot. Math people, where art thou?

Hi Saekee!

I think it works something like this: Suppose I get hit 100 times, each time for 100 point of damage.

If an increase in Armor Class causes 1% of hits to miss, my character takes 9,900 instead of 10,000 damage. The added Armor Class blocks 100 point hits.

If an increase in Physical Resistance Rating mitigates 0.5% damage, my character takes 9,950 instead of 10,000 damage. The added Physical Resistance Rating blocks 50 Hit Points.

Hit Points allow me to sustain a bigger damage spike, all other things being equal.

When running Epic Hard dungeons in Unyielding Sentinel scaled for 3 or 3.5 my Avatar performs pretty well so I decided to raise defenses. I am no longer seeing one shot damage spikes like I used to. The worst hits I took last time around were from the Spinner of Shadows. If she would just let me permanently borrow a Shard of the Golden Guile I would stop interrupting her tea parties but nooooooo...

SirValentine
08-03-2017, 07:48 PM
Let me put a slightly different perspective on it.

Which active PL stances do you have, and which others might be most useful to you? They are stances, so you can easily swap in different circumstances. E.g., you might want to use Doublestrike in combat, but swap to Skills at other times.

the_one_dwarfforged
08-09-2017, 07:43 AM
my default answer would be prr. its a super powerful stat and the diminishing returns argument against it is mathematically correct, but it ignores the practical perspective of its real function in the game. prrs practical functionality does not suffer from diminishing returns other than opportunity cost. the primary effect of prr is increasing the amount of time during which you can take damage before you have to heal; its secondary effect is increasing the number of hits that it would take to kill you. 3 prr vs 11 hp is not meaningful either way, but i would go for the prr because prr will have an impact in keeping you alive every time you get hit, and multiplies your effective hp instead of just adding to it. with 11 more maximum hp, as soon as those hp are gone you need to heal them before they have any use again and they do not change how many hits it takes to kill you; the one good thing about focusing on hp in the current game meta is increasing your resistance to oneshots, but you need to already have a lot of prr and hp to get to the point where that is something that is achievable. you will also notice the effect of stacking prr the more past lives of it you acquire. the hit points are certainly a good thing to have, but if say you had the maximum hp past lives and no prr past lives you wouldnt really increase your efficiency because while potentially it may take more hits to kill you you will end up having to work harder to heal yourself. on healing limited builds and melee builds prr is super efficient.

for a rogue if you have a worthwhile ac then i would say improving it is a possible contender with prr as stacking higher sources of avoidance can be super effective. in teh end however i have my doubts about what is an effective ac, and even if, say 100 ac for example, you have an effective ac for some/current content that does not guarantee that it will be effective for other/new content or that an effective ac will be attainable. prr will always work more or less the same and its effect is generally the same regardless of content unless you are getting oneshot despite it in which case ultimately only avoidance stats/tactics/cc/dps matter.

1% absorption is super weak. iirc the only source that every character is realistically going to have in any given situation is the 9% passive absorption from epls which is not super impressive. its not a bad thing, but its a much more minor increase in defense than the other choices, and is much less universally applicable than the other choices. also mrr does the same thing and is easier to stack, and while it would be best to have both, the existence of mrr diminishes the priority of acquiring 1% spell absorption at a time.

Allorian
08-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Since I run three accounts, Sophie's Auntie took Hit Points (she had no choice), Sophie's sister took Armor Class, and Sophie took Physical Resistance Rating and +1 to Saving Throws.

I think it works something like this: Suppose I get hit 100 times, each time for 100 point of damage.

If an increase in Armor Class causes 1% of hits to miss, my character takes 9,900 instead of 10,000 damage. The added Armor Class blocks 100 point hits.

If an increase in Physical Resistance Rating mitigates 0.5% damage, my character takes 9,950 instead of 10,000 damage. The added Physical Resistance Rating blocks 50 Hit Points.

Hit Points allow me to sustain a bigger damage spike, all other things being equal.

When running Epic Hard dungeons in Unyielding Sentinel scaled for 3 or 3.5 my Avatar performs pretty well so I decided to raise defenses. I am no longer seeing one shot damage spikes like I used to. The worst hits I took last time around were from the Spinner of Shadows. If she would just let me permanently borrow a Shard of the Golden Guile I would stop interrupting her tea parties but nooooooo...

Well, you need both H.P's and PRR. Unless you get AC to over 150 on EH and around 200 on EE, you will get hit, the higher the AC is you will start to notice the misses but even 100 AC is not high at all. On my melee character I took all 9 of the Divine EPL's and 6 of the primal as well. I also did 2 Iconic PDK for the PRR and I have noticed a big difference, mitigating the damage taken is huge and you will notice it as well. US is great defensively and you should be able to easily get around 200 PRR using US, Divine EPL's and gear.

If you are not planning on running Legendary content and doing only EN and EH, you may see some benefit from EPL's for AC but it is not something I would bank on.
I hope this helps.

Thx
Glam

bjones0064
08-09-2017, 09:14 AM
So which option actually offers the greatest defensive benefit? I am thinking...Physical Resistance Rating then Armor Class.[/QUOTE]

From a barbarian dps player prospective AC PRR HP. However since I play the rogue assassin as well I would go AC, HP, then PRR. It's easier to obtain a miss chance with rogue skills and or abilities and items. So your not getting wailed on as much as a barbarian. But if you increase your fold in AC your making it harder for someone to hit you and when it does hit the fan you have the HP to back it up.

Also I make these statements based off my master assassin build. So I know what kind of AC PRR and HP I could obtain. So opinions may vary based on build experiences and preferences.

Grace_ana
08-09-2017, 10:55 AM
For an assassin with the above stats, PRR, then AC, then HP, then elemental.

With assassin reflexes you should be mostly okay evading elemental spells when possible. The 1% isn't going to make enough of a difference with the leftovers to prioritize.

As far as HP, rogues always need some, but 11 HP are not going to keep you alive. Defenses will work out to be more.

AC is good, but it works on a curve, and what you have right now isn't high enough to justify AC investment over PRR. The extra PRR will protect you more right now than the extra AC. After you get all your PRR lives, AC will be the most beneficial of the above group.

jellyfish21
08-15-2017, 04:40 AM
PRR is the most important defensive quality. Attempt to increase it to over 200.
Spell absorption is the second most, raise it to over 50%.
Hit points is the third. Raise it to over 1200.
AC is the last important. Raise it to over 250.

It is about fighting your red named, EE enemies. They never miss. They bypass fortification.

PRR also increases fort. for passive past lives. Get your fort over 250.
If you have any spell like abilities, the secondary, arcane, passive, past life feat is increasing critical spellcasting. It is important for healing yourself (like with a cleric past life healing feat).
AC is the least important because you need raid gear to effectively increase your ac over 250 to avoid auto-hits from bosses.

jellyfish21
08-15-2017, 04:42 AM
I play a tank best. They are my best builds.

jellyfish21
08-15-2017, 04:43 AM
My last tank had all of the above except, well, he had over 2000 hit points.

jellyfish21
08-15-2017, 04:45 AM
Dodge is not reliable because of the dodge cap.