PDA

View Full Version : Annex's Outrageous and Scandalous Wish List

Annex
07-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Players often write up huge wish lists of game features they want and I dutifully respond to them, yet I have never made my own.

Well, at long last, here is my Outrageous, Scandalous, Badly Thought Out, Ill Advised, Utterly Selfish List of Terrible, Brilliant, and Modestly Silly Ideas:

1) Quest Launcher: This window lists every quest in the game. Selecting a quest and pressing <Start> places my character inside the quest, at the start. Upon completion of the quest, pressing <Finish> brings up a dialog with the quest rewards. After choosing an item, I am teleported out of the quest, landing exactly where I started.

2) Equipment Selector: This window includes 20 tabs. Each tab holds an equipment configuration. I can drag and drop items into every configuration as I see fit. By pressing <Equip>, I turn on a configuration and equip all those items. All equipment in all other configurations remains dormant for purposes of affect and weight. A character can only change equipment configurations in a rest area. In this way, I could set up equipment configurations for a run from L1 to L30 without ever bothering with my bank.

3) Outfit Selector: This window includes 20 tabs. Each tab holds a cosmetic outfit and equipment configuration. I can drag and drop copies of items into every configuration as I see fit. By pressing <Equip>, I turn on a configuration and cosmetically equip all those items. I can change my outfit at any time.

4) Memoir Characters: A Memoir Character starts at L1 with 28 Build Points and no Past Lives. Upon reaching L20, the Memoir Character retires, writing is or her memoirs and permanently disappearing from the game. In his or her place, a Bound to Account Enchanted Memoir of <Name> the <Race> or Enchanted Memoir of <Name> the <Class> appears in my Shared Storage. When one of my remaining characters reads this enchanted tome, the tome disappears and the character permanently gains the corresponding Race or Class Past Life Feat. Only a character capable of benefiting from an Enchanted Memoir may use it.

EDIT: Please see Post 6 below for additional elaboration on Memoir Characters.

Note: This system allows veteran players to play with new players on a roughly equal footing without completely wasting the time of the veteran. It also allows a veteran player to keep a character at some other point in the game while still acquiring Race and Class Past Lives. Finally, it allows a player to get past a Race or Class they hate without wrecking a beloved character.

5) Iconic Memoir Characters: An Iconic Memoir Character starts at L1 with 28 Build Points and no Past Lives. Upon reaching L30, the Iconic Memoir Character retires, writing is or her memoirs and permanently disappearing from the game. In his or her place, a Bound to Account Memoir of <Name> the <Iconic> appears in my Shared Storage. When one of my remaining characters reads this enchanted tome, the tome disappears and the character permanently gains the corresponding Iconic and Class Past Life Feats. Only a character capable of benefiting from a Memoir may use it.

6) Mirror of Race Glamouring: This magical items allows my character to appear as a different character or monster race. When activated, I am taken to a special version of the character creation system. I create a new character then select <Glamour>. This creates a permanent, Bound to Account item in my inventory. Slotting a Race Glamour into a new Race Glamour Slot found on all characters allows me to take on the stored appearance. The DDO store includes additional Race Glamours for all sorts of fun creatures.

7) Triple Purpose Quests: Instead of making Heroic and Epic versions of quests, all new quests will come in Heroic / Epic / and Legendary versions. For example, a new quest may come in Heroic Level 15, Epic Level 25, and Legendary Level 35. Legendary Level quests now go all the way to Level 40 and they really hurt because DDO caters to many masochists and they need a good whipping. I mean, they need loving. Well, they need loving whipping. Errr...

8) Permanent Followers: A Permanent Follower always scales to the level of the summoning character. Just like characters, Permanent Followers gain experience and slowly become more powerful. If you have no idea what I am talking about, play Star Wars: The Old Republic for 4 hours. With the system in place, sell me tons of new Permanent Followers just like Electronic Arts does. I want my Medusa sidekick and I want her NOW.

9) Cosmetic Outfits: Helm, Hair, Shoulders, Chest, Cloak, Bracers, Gloves, Belt, Pants/Skirt, Boots, Right Hand Weapon, Left Hand Weapon, Glamoured Race, Special Effect.

10) Old School Dungeons: Hire the people who made dungeons like The Chamber of Raiyum, The Jungle of Khyber, Spies in the House, and the Pit. Give them all the Kobold Cookies, Succubi, Pirate Rum, and Jewels of Fortune they can stand. Give them whatever they want. All new dungeons should have Heroic, Epic, and Legendary versions and offer good experience. The succubi want you to be generous.

Discuss. Rant! Decry! Bemoan. Condemn. Dismiss. Whatever floats your boat.

Cheers! :D

Arch-Necromancer
07-29-2017, 12:20 PM
10) Old School Dungeons: Hire the people who made dungeons like The Chamber of Raiyum, The Jungle of Khyber, Spies in the House, and the Pit.

They already hired Torc, the guy who made The Pit. And he designed several quests from the newest U36 adventure pack, The Mines of Tethyamar. :D

EllisDee37
07-29-2017, 12:38 PM
10) Old School Dungeons: Hire the people who made dungeons like The Chamber of Raiyum, The Jungle of Khyber, Spies in the House, and the Pit. Give them all the Kobold Cookies, Succubi, Pirate Rum, and Jewels of Fortune they can stand. Give them whatever they want. All new dungeons should have Heroic, Epic, and Legendary versions and offer good experience. The succubi want you to be generous.They did rehire Torc (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/481715-Standing-Stone-Games-A-message-from-Rob-Ciccolini?p=5909588&viewfull=1#post5909588), who designed many great quests, including The Pit. See this thread (https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/472506-Bring-back-Torc!-pretty-please!) for more info on his greatness.

EDIT: Ninja'd! Yes, yes it did take me 20 minutes to dig up those links.

SirValentine
07-29-2017, 09:11 PM
4) Memoir Characters: A Memoir Character starts at L1 with 28 Build Points and no Past Lives. Upon reaching L20, the Memoir Character retires, writing is or her memoirs and permanently disappearing from the game. In his or her place, a Bound to Account Enchanted Memoir of <Name> the <Race> or Enchanted Memoir of <Name> the <Class> appears in my Shared Storage. When one of my remaining characters reads this enchanted tome, the tome disappears and the character permanently gains the corresponding Race or Class Past Life Feat. Only a character capable of benefiting from an Enchanted Memoir may use it.

So you can get a past life for 1/2 the XP?

I like the concept; all the the "you're-not-forced-to-TR" things that require you to destroy character progress tick me off. Being able to keep the character you want and continue to to build your progress instead of erase-and-start-over every time would be a big win.

But as written it's too exploitable. Maybe a Memoir character has to use the 3rd-life XP chart?

noinfo
07-30-2017, 12:44 AM

I like the concept; all the the "you're-not-forced-to-TR" things that require you to destroy character progress tick me off. Being able to keep the character you want and continue to to build your progress instead of erase-and-start-over every time would be a big win.

But as written it's too exploitable. Maybe a Memoir character has to use the 3rd-life XP chart?

Things to consider when looking at the xp required:

1. No tomes (anyone going to waste it on them?) this includes tomes of learning.
2. No btc items (not sure how many of those are worth it now though)
3. No pastlives epic or heroic

Starts to close the xp gap. Not saying its exact but having them use a 3rd life or even 2nd life one would probably not be representative of the effort.

Annex
07-30-2017, 10:53 AM
Sophie the Cat Burglar: *jumps around and waves pom poms* Torc! Torc! He's our man! If he can't do it, no one can!
Vexie the Dagger: What are you doing?
Sophie the Cat Burglar: Motivating!

For the Memoir Characters, how about this:
1) Must begin as a new character (no past lives possible; no bound to character equipment in Bank)
2) Starts at level 1
3) 28 point build
4) May use tomes but those tomes will be lost when the character writes his or her memoirs and retires
5) Cannot use any form of Experience Stone (Daily Dice, Otto's Box, etc.)
6) Writing memoirs requires a Blank Memoir Journal. Blank Memoir Journals cost 20 Tokens of the Twelve and may be purchased in the DDO Store.
7) If a Memoir Character takes Level 21 he or she becomes a normal character and can never write his or her Enchanted Memoirs.
8) If an Iconic Memoir Character uses any form of reincarnation, he or she can never write his or her Enchanted Memoirs.
9) Memoir Characters use the First Life Experience Progression so that Memoir Characters may keep up with New Players with New Characters.
10) Memoir Characters only gain experience when grouped with other characters.
11) Memoir Characters may only group with other First Life characters.
12) Memoir Characters may not use any form of Experience Acceleration including Potions, Voice of the Master, Mantle of the World Shaper, and so forth.

Goals of Memoir Characters:
1) Encourage Veteran Players to group with and teach New Players.
2) Eliminate the power gap between Veteran and New characters, allowing New Players to meaningfully contribute to Groups.
3) Encourage Veteran Players to play characters without any Past Lives, Tomes, and previously earned Bound to Character equipment, thus restoring game difficulty.
4) Encourage Permanent Death Game Play. (Players will likely take a killed character to L20 in an alternate group, but the system still offers real advantages to Permanent Death players.)
5) Allows Veteran Players to keep their most beloved characters in a Race and Class of choice while still progressing.
6) Encourages solo players to try group play since they are not risking their prized characters, who may have few or zero deaths, in random groups.
7) Encourages players to try truly wild builds. A Veteran Player need not worry about locking up his or her cherished character with many past lives in a bad, unfun build.

Please note, Memoir Characters using the First Life Experience Curve is NOT an exploit! It is a perk to entice Veteran Players to run Memoir Characters, group with New Players, group other characters of the exact same power level, and thus experience the game in a situation where class and role matter.

Please Note: I have very little experience with Reaper Difficulty and am unsure how that should work with Memoir Characters. My immediate thought is that all Reaper Experience Points transfer through the Enchanted Memoirs item, but I will let those with more knowledge of Reaper Difficulty thrash that out.

EllisDee37
07-30-2017, 11:12 AM
For the Memoir Characters, how about this:
1) Must begin as a new character (no past lives possible; no bound to character equipment in Bank)
2) Starts at level 1
3) 28 point build
4) May use tomes but those tomes will be lost when the character writes his or her memoirs and retires
5) Cannot use any form of Experience Stone (Daily Dice, Otto's Box, etc.)
6) Writing memoirs requires a Blank Memoir Journal. Blank Memoir Journals cost 20 Tokens of the Twelve and may be purchased in the DDO Store.
7) If a Memoir Character takes Level 21 he or she becomes a normal character and can never write his or her Enchanted Memoirs.
8) If an Iconic Memoir Character uses any form of reincarnation, he or she can never write his or her Enchanted Memoirs.
9) Memoir Characters use the First Life Experience Progression so that Memoir Characters may keep up with New Players with New Characters.
10) Memoir Characters only gain experience when grouped with other characters.
11) Memoir Characters may only group with other First Life characters.
12) Memoir Characters may not use any form of Experience Acceleration including Potions, Voice of the Master, Mantle of the World Shaper, and so forth.I have no opinion whether it's a good idea in general, but after seeing your list a couple additional possibilities jump out to me:

a) Cannot use the mail system
b) Cannot use the auction house
c) Cannot access the shared bank
d) Cannot speak to the fatespinner

Hazelnut
07-30-2017, 01:13 PM

I liked this idea too. Mostly because I have too many alts. Would be nice to merge them together for the past lives. I see your point about the XP thing. I would prefer to make the decision at the end of heroics. Maybe to actually complete the memoir part requires the extra XP be earned (sort of choose to go epic or memoir)?

A possible way to do this would be to be able to choose between "writing your memoirs" or having an Epic Destiny? You get a memoirs tree (racial or class) and once you complete it, you are able to use a Heroic Heart to complete the memoirs (which get put in your shared bank or passed to the next character on that server you log-in to). Your character is deleted, any non-shared inventory is lost.

This approach solves the XP issue while still letting a vet group with first-lifers without unbalancing the rate of leveling (a problem for a static group when people are gaining levels at different rates).

Xanom
08-23-2017, 06:11 AM
Along the line of equipment presets, I'd love to see spell presets. It would be great to configure spells for a particular adventure (undead heavy, fire heavy, etc), then be able to save that list and restore it at a tavern.

* I'd be happy if the lists were stored client side, as long as they are able to be archived.

* Minor issue handling lists that include more spell slots than are available to the character. Do you just drop the extra spells, or add an extra UI to choose which spells get culled?

As a first pass, I'd be happy if extra spells were culled. If you have four level 2 spells and load onto a character who only has 3, the leftmost 3 spells get loaded.

* One workable UI option:

[current spell list] [selected saved list] [file picker (list of saved names)]

With a mechanism to drag either individual spells, all spells of a level, or the entire list from the saved list to the current list. Spells not known by the character would be greyed out in the saved list, and slots that would be copied by a direct copy would have a highlighted border.

Annex
08-23-2017, 07:38 AM
Along the line of equipment presets, I'd love to see spell presets. It would be great to configure spells for a particular adventure (undead heavy, fire heavy, etc), then be able to save that list and restore it at a tavern.

* I'd be happy if the lists were stored client side, as long as they are able to be archived.

* Minor issue handling lists that include more spell slots than are available to the character. Do you just drop the extra spells, or add an extra UI to choose which spells get culled?

As a first pass, I'd be happy if extra spells were culled. If you have four level 2 spells and load onto a character who only has 3, the leftmost 3 spells get loaded.

* One workable UI option:

[current spell list] [selected saved list] [file picker (list of saved names)]

With a mechanism to drag either individual spells, all spells of a level, or the entire list from the saved list to the current list. Spells not known by the character would be greyed out in the saved list, and slots that would be copied by a direct copy would have a highlighted border.

That is a _great_ idea!

I have two Archmage Wizards who stay in Epic Levels. It would save a _gigantic_ amount of time if I could swap spell configurations as you describe. Even better, when swapping configurations, also update Skill Bars to reflect the change.

Phoenicis
08-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Players often write up huge wish lists of game features they want and I dutifully respond to them, yet I have never made my own.

Well, at long last, here is my Outrageous, Scandalous, Badly Thought Out, Ill Advised, Utterly Selfish List of Terrible, Brilliant, and Modestly Silly Ideas:

1) Quest Launcher: This window lists every quest in the game. Selecting a quest and pressing <Start> places my character inside the quest, at the start. Upon completion of the quest, pressing <Finish> brings up a dialog with the quest rewards. After choosing an item, I am teleported out of the quest, landing exactly where I started.

2) Equipment Selector: This window includes 20 tabs. Each tab holds an equipment configuration. I can drag and drop items into every configuration as I see fit. By pressing <Equip>, I turn on a configuration and equip all those items. All equipment in all other configurations remains dormant for purposes of affect and weight. A character can only change equipment configurations in a rest area. In this way, I could set up equipment configurations for a run from L1 to L30 without ever bothering with my bank.

3) Outfit Selector: This window includes 20 tabs. Each tab holds a cosmetic outfit and equipment configuration. I can drag and drop copies of items into every configuration as I see fit. By pressing <Equip>, I turn on a configuration and cosmetically equip all those items. I can change my outfit at any time.

EDIT: Please see Post 6 below for additional elaboration on Memoir Characters.

Note: This system allows veteran players to play with new players on a roughly equal footing without completely wasting the time of the veteran. It also allows a veteran player to keep a character at some other point in the game while still acquiring Race and Class Past Lives. Finally, it allows a player to get past a Race or Class they hate without wrecking a beloved character.

5) Iconic Memoir Characters: An Iconic Memoir Character starts at L1 with 28 Build Points and no Past Lives. Upon reaching L30, the Iconic Memoir Character retires, writing is or her memoirs and permanently disappearing from the game. In his or her place, a Bound to Account Memoir of <Name> the <Iconic> appears in my Shared Storage. When one of my remaining characters reads this enchanted tome, the tome disappears and the character permanently gains the corresponding Iconic and Class Past Life Feats. Only a character capable of benefiting from a Memoir may use it.

6) Mirror of Race Glamouring: This magical items allows my character to appear as a different character or monster race. When activated, I am taken to a special version of the character creation system. I create a new character then select <Glamour>. This creates a permanent, Bound to Account item in my inventory. Slotting a Race Glamour into a new Race Glamour Slot found on all characters allows me to take on the stored appearance. The DDO store includes additional Race Glamours for all sorts of fun creatures.

7) Triple Purpose Quests: Instead of making Heroic and Epic versions of quests, all new quests will come in Heroic / Epic / and Legendary versions. For example, a new quest may come in Heroic Level 15, Epic Level 25, and Legendary Level 35. Legendary Level quests now go all the way to Level 40 and they really hurt because DDO caters to many masochists and they need a good whipping. I mean, they need loving. Well, they need loving whipping. Errr...

8) Permanent Followers: A Permanent Follower always scales to the level of the summoning character. Just like characters, Permanent Followers gain experience and slowly become more powerful. If you have no idea what I am talking about, play Star Wars: The Old Republic for 4 hours. With the system in place, sell me tons of new Permanent Followers just like Electronic Arts does. I want my Medusa sidekick and I want her NOW.

9) Cosmetic Outfits: Helm, Hair, Shoulders, Chest, Cloak, Bracers, Gloves, Belt, Pants/Skirt, Boots, Right Hand Weapon, Left Hand Weapon, Glamoured Race, Special Effect.

10) Old School Dungeons: Hire the people who made dungeons like The Chamber of Raiyum, The Jungle of Khyber, Spies in the House, and the Pit. Give them all the Kobold Cookies, Succubi, Pirate Rum, and Jewels of Fortune they can stand. Give them whatever they want. All new dungeons should have Heroic, Epic, and Legendary versions and offer good experience. The succubi want you to be generous.

Discuss. Rant! Decry! Bemoan. Condemn. Dismiss. Whatever floats your boat.

Cheers! :D

1) Kinda like it, but don't like the 'I never have to move to do quests' aspect. Maybe make it so you can only use it to get to quests you have already done on this character at least once? (including during past lives?)

2) Kinda like it, but don't like the 'if gear isn't in use it's in limbo' If gear isn't in use it should still count toward encumbrance.

3) I'm good with this one.

4) Make them 32 point characters if unlocked on the account/server...

5) See above.

6) Hrrrrrm, running as a gnome but look like a WF? I get some people are all about appearances but I don't really like this one.

7) Meh. I'd prefer different quests at each tier, not rehashing the same quest over and over again (and yes, I avoid the 'dailies')

8) Kinda don't like this one, I've played SWTOR. Wasn't fond of the system there either.

9) Go for it.

10) I'd LOVE to see more of the old style quests. I'd love to see more alternate ways to accomplish a mission.

Annex
08-23-2017, 12:30 PM
Thank you for responding!

1) Kinda like it, but don't like the 'I never have to move to do quests' aspect. Maybe make it so you can only use it to get to quests you have already done on this character at least once? (including during past lives?)

I am perfectly fine with opening a quest once 'the right way' before the instant transport option becomes available. However, an 'always available' option would greatly benefit new and casual players seeking to join pick-up groups. In my opinion, while making players run to quest entrances preserves 'realism', easing group formation should take precedence.

Severlin already stated that two quest 'fast travel' options were tried and discarded. I wish to encourage the developers to keep trying!

2) Kinda like it, but don't like the 'if gear isn't in use it's in limbo' If gear isn't in use it should still count toward encumbrance.

Under the current system, players exit the Reincarnation Grove, run to the Vault, put on their Level 1 equipment, and quest. At Level 4 (or whatever) they return to the Vault, stick the Level 1 equipment in the Bank, pull out the Level 4 equipment, and quest. At level 8 (or whatever) they do it again and so on.

My suggestion essentially organizes storage. At level one, you activate equipment load out one. At level 4, you activate equipment load out two, and so on. The system does not presume you actually carry all that equipment! It is an abstraction to ease the equipment burden of reincarnation passes.

6) Hrrrrrm, running as a gnome but look like a WF? I get some people are all about appearances but I don't really like this one.

Players like myself have absolutely zero interest in playing a Warforged or Gnome or Dwarf or Dragonborn or...you get the idea. I play a female human cat burglar. Period. I want to acquire Past Life Feats without having to play an ugly character I absolutely hate. I realize the weirdness of the situation but ask for accommodation so I may continue to play the game in a way I find pleasing. I cannot see how my suggestion would hurt anyone or contribute to power creep.

7) Meh. I'd prefer different quests at each tier, not rehashing the same quest over and over again (and yes, I avoid the 'dailies')

I would far prefer unique quests at each level with no repeats! However, given developer resources, most quests now come in two versions to accommodate players with different play goals. My suggestion expands the current system to accommodate the three fundamental divisions of play--Heroic, Epic, and Legendary--so that all three divisions regularly receive new quests. Players may then choose to use whatever version of a quest meets their needs.

8) Kinda don't like this one, I've played SWTOR. Wasn't fond of the system there either.

I really disliked most of the followers in Star Wars but the few good ones made the system shine. I would not expect one specific follower to meet all needs, but with a way to configure personalities, they could really add a lot from a role play perspective. Players could choose not to use them, of course.

10) I'd LOVE to see more of the old style quests. I'd love to see more alternate ways to accomplish a mission.

We _really_ need more old style quests with sprawling dungeons, set piece ambushes, and conversations between Monsters. "Oh look, a pack of monsters milling about in a hallway" is getting super stale.

acdccod
08-23-2017, 08:12 PM
Very good read a lot of good ideas. Cheers!

Horani
08-24-2017, 09:01 PM
Memoir Characters. Yes!!

warioman91
08-25-2017, 02:43 AM
Goals of Memoir Characters:
1) Encourage Veteran Players to group with and teach New Players.
2) Eliminate the power gap between Veteran and New characters, allowing New Players to meaningfully contribute to Groups.
3) Encourage Veteran Players to play characters without any Past Lives, Tomes, and previously earned Bound to Character equipment, thus restoring game difficulty.
4) Encourage Permanent Death Game Play. (Players will likely take a killed character to L20 in an alternate group, but the system still offers real advantages to Permanent Death players.)
5) Allows Veteran Players to keep their most beloved characters in a Race and Class of choice while still progressing.
6) Encourages solo players to try group play since they are not risking their prized characters, who may have few or zero deaths, in random groups.
7) Encourages players to try truly wild builds. A Veteran Player need not worry about locking up his or her cherished character with many past lives in a bad, unfun build.

Thank you.

I PERSONALLY WANT AN END TO PAST LIVES.

Well not really, but Those Goals you wrote are exactly what I want in this game. Feeling useless and just getting "carried" all the time simply because of the power creep of past life builds is not fun for me. I want to play with groups of people all the time, but I don't particularly enjoy the experience especially as I get to the upper levels.

I think I had some suggestion some time ago that was just to get players to get on a 28pt build that was some sort of diablo 2 style "season" such that everyone would be encouraged with some sort of system to make a new toon, or have some means of turning one of their many past life toons into a 28pt build and then the server as a whole would level up together(to an extent) again. And have some sort of incentive for doing this ofc.
One can see a number of flaws in that idea, mostly due to logistics and player integration, but I want the devs to know this is what people want.

That is, people want everyone contributing equally, not extremely weighted down because someone has a 36 past life toon or however many it is up to.

MAKE DDO DIFFICULT AGAIN!