PDA

View Full Version : ER and all of your UI

valkrei
07-27-2017, 09:45 AM
So why is when I ER I have to reset where my stuff is on the UI. Meaning where my icon boxes are, the size and location of my chat box, ect ect?

xCataluna
07-27-2017, 10:02 AM
Set up all your bars and windows the way you like them.

/ui layout save <choosenamehere>

Recincarnate.

/ui layout load <nameyouchose>

Ta-da! =D

Greantun
07-27-2017, 10:37 AM

Recincarnate.

Ta-da! =D

That way is best, been using for a long time.

I heard a dev talk about reincarnation once, and under the covers, your character is actually deleted, and then recreated. They aren't saving information that isn't vital to the reincarnation. which includes the layout.

Arch-Necromancer
07-27-2017, 01:42 PM

Recincarnate.

Ta-da! =D

If this is so simple, why doesn't it save like that internally during reincarnation and offer to load (maybe by some NPC in dialogue) after entering the world again?

Maybe if we could get some menu interface for saving layout, it would be easier to do on our own.

Maquist
07-29-2017, 06:41 AM
Part of the problem with it doing it automatically might be the fact that it saves the layout locally to your computer, and that you can name it anything. I don't know for sure, but I would think that these two things could be trouble with coding an automatic script to fix the layout.

I do wonder, though, if they would be able to make it query the layout folder looking for one with a standardized name (like default.layout, or something like that), or code into the options page where you could select a layout to automatically load. Although, maybe that, too, could be a headache to code in properly?

Arch-Necromancer
07-29-2017, 08:08 AM
Part of the problem with it doing it automatically might be the fact that it saves the layout locally to your computer, and that you can name it anything. I don't know for sure, but I would think that these two things could be trouble with coding an automatic script to fix the layout.

I do wonder, though, if they would be able to make it query the layout folder looking for one with a standardized name (like default.layout, or something like that), or code into the options page where you could select a layout to automatically load. Although, maybe that, too, could be a headache to code in properly?

File not found exception: handle function - use the default new player layout instead.

SirValentine
07-29-2017, 09:16 PM

Recincarnate.

Ta-da! =D

People like to talk that up. That saves you, what, maybe 5 minutes? More likely only 1 minute.

The real hassle is getting everything set back up on your bars. All your spells, enhancements, gear swaps, clickies, scrolls, weapon sets, action boosts, class abilities, feats, skills...

The UI layout command doesn't solve the real problem, or even make a sizable dent in the problem.

EllisDee37
07-30-2017, 04:04 AM
Part of the problem with it doing it automatically might be the fact that it saves the layout locally to your computer, and that you can name it anything. I don't know for sure, but I would think that these two things could be trouble with coding an automatic script to fix the layout.DDO saves tons of stuff locally to your computer. That's a non-issue.

I do wonder, though, if they would be able to make it query the layout folder looking for one with a standardized name (like default.layout, or something like that), or code into the options page where you could select a layout to automatically load. Although, maybe that, too, could be a headache to code in properly?You're overthinking it.

The game could create a new layout file with a unique name (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa364991(v=vs.85).aspx). Save the layout to that. Now when you TR it could auto-apply the layout from that unique file, then delete it. If for some reason the unique file doesn't exist anymore, oh well, just do nothing like how it works right now on live.

Enoach
07-30-2017, 06:51 AM

Recincarnate.

Ta-da! =D

This is my preferred way to maintain the UI Layout

Having the system load UI changes this way allows the player to define multiple layouts that they can share between characters (or even between players). This has also allowed me to have multiple layouts for characters depending on if I'm playing from my docking station or if I'm playing directly from my laptops screen.

People like to talk that up. That saves you, what, maybe 5 minutes? More likely only 1 minute.

The real hassle is getting everything set back up on your bars. All your spells, enhancements, gear swaps, clickies, scrolls, weapon sets, action boosts, class abilities, feats, skills...

The UI layout command doesn't solve the real problem, or even make a sizable dent in the problem.

The problem here is that an ER does not guarantee "sameness" between lives. You could take a totally different path. IE ER from an Air Savant to Water Savant as a Sorcerer. In that case while you may be taking the same feats your enhancements would be different.

For me when I ER and go through the LR process I tend to pull active feats to the hotbars as I level.

Yes, the whole process can take a bit of time, but there is also a high probability that 51% of all the options will be different.

As a note, when I want to make sure my hotbars are set up exactly each life I utilize the Screen shot feature. It can help with exact placement.

Maquist
07-30-2017, 08:58 AM
You're overthinking it.

Always a very real possibility. Especially when the issues of coding and programming come up. I'm not in the IT industry, so I just try to make what I assume are rational guesses. And sometimes, I'm off. :D

SirValentine
07-31-2017, 03:45 AM
The problem here is that an ER does not guarantee "sameness" between lives. You could take a totally different path. IE ER from an Air Savant to Water Savant as a Sorcerer. In that case while you may be taking the same feats your enhancements would be different.

Why is that a problem?

Right now, outside the reincarnation process, I can reset enhancements, I can drop gear in the bank, and I can swap out spells. And all those things stay on my quickbars just fine, just grayed out.