PDA

View Full Version : Domains Suggestion

PsychoBlonde
07-16-2017, 02:08 PM
So, we've already seen some information re: Domains. I have two suggestions in this area.

1. Restrict which domain you can take based on your deity choice. This is straight out of the PnP rulebooks. Different deities grant access to different domains. So don't make it a complete free-for-all. The current proposal is quite powerful, so there ought to be a catch.

2. Do domain abilities for Favored souls at the same time. Clerics get effects on their Turn Undead and extra spells. Favored Souls should get domain-based ABILITIES, again, based on their deity. Kind of like this:

Cleric Death Domain: +Necro DC's, Control Undead, some new spells.
FVS Death domain: Undead Form (Mummy?)

Cleric Air Domain: + Evo DC's, control elementals, electrical spells
FVS Air domain: Air Elemental Form (spells and attacks proc lightning damage?)

Same theme, different result. Interesting choices to make.

Dragnipurake
07-16-2017, 02:32 PM
1. Restrict which domain you can take based on your deity choice. This is straight out of the PnP rulebooks. Different deities grant access to different domains. So don't make it a complete free-for-all. The current proposal is quite powerful, so there ought to be a catch.

Nope. I am for free choice. Otherwise I insist that e.g. wizards that take a spell focus feat can never learn spell from the opposing school.

2. Do domain abilities for Favored souls at the same time. Clerics get effects on their Turn Undead and extra spells. Favored Souls should get domain-based ABILITIES, again, based on their deity. Kind of like this:

Cleric Death Domain: +Necro DC's, Control Undead, some new spells.
FVS Death domain: Undead Form (Mummy?)

Cleric Air Domain: + Evo DC's, control elementals, electrical spells
FVS Air domain: Air Elemental Form (spells and attacks proc lightning damage?)

Same theme, different result. Interesting choices to make.

Nope. That is just ridiculous.

PsychoBlonde
07-16-2017, 02:57 PM
Nope. I am for free choice. Otherwise I insist that e.g. wizards that take a spell focus feat can never learn spell from the opposing school.

You might actually want to re-read the 3.5 rulebooks, bucko. You are talking about spell *specialization*, which is where you get to memorize an extra spell per level belonging to your selected school, but you lose the ability to memorize spells from TWO opposing schools (unless you pick a **** school like Divination). Wizards in DDO can't specialize, but if they COULD, I'd be asking for them to lose access to their opposition schools just as in PnP.

Nope. That is just ridiculous.

Actually, that would be far more in line with the way the favored soul class works in Pen and Paper--they're supposed to become increasingly "divine", eventually winding up with WINGS. So acquiring a form fits them just fine.

Draxani
07-16-2017, 04:16 PM
You might actually want to re-read the 3.5 rulebooks, bucko. You are talking about spell *specialization*, which is where you get to memorize an extra spell per level belonging to your selected school, but you lose the ability to memorize spells from TWO opposing schools (unless you pick a **** school like Divination). Wizards in DDO can't specialize, but if they COULD, I'd be asking for them to lose access to their opposition schools just as in PnP.

Actually, that would be far more in line with the way the favored soul class works in Pen and Paper--they're supposed to become increasingly "divine", eventually winding up with WINGS. So acquiring a form fits them just fine.

I agree that you should be able to choose your domains, as many of the deities currently out there are race locked, which isn't in PnP. For example, if you played a human cleric, you wouldn't be able to play any of the domains linked to vulkoor, the undying court, the lord of blades, helm, aumanator, or silvanus, and a bladeforged would be stuck with only helm, aumanator, the lord of blades, and silvanus's domains. DDO is based off dnd, but there are some distinct separations due to being a video game. One example is that spells such as time stop, gate, and (in most areas) fly do not exist.

I agree that fvs abilities would be cooler than domains, though I believe they should still be granted spells, as their deity is finding favor in them. I don't think forms are the right way to go about it though. I'd suggest abilities such as one or two slas of spells, as well as possible toned down versions of short use forms, like the avatar of nature (cause I really really want to turn into a bladeforged titan! ). Of course, this would require a lot of coding and could lead to a lot of problems and exploits.

To sum it up, the domain changes are being added to add diversity and viability to divine casters, and while I love the idea of these abilities, I feel like gating them based on deity would hamper the diversity of the domains.

SirValentine
07-16-2017, 04:18 PM

Sure...except there's no requirement to follow any particular deity, so free-for-all is still an option.

2. Do domain abilities for Favored souls at the same time.

So are Clerics going to then get Energy Resistance, Wings, Damage Reduction, more spell points, and higher saves?

FvS already have their class features. Domains are something Clerics are missing. Giving domains to FvS makes no sense.

PsychoBlonde
07-16-2017, 05:31 PM
I agree that you should be able to choose your domains, as many of the deities currently out there are race locked, which isn't in PnP.

Yes it is. Depends on the deity, but quite a few of them are "my race only" deities.

PsychoBlonde
07-16-2017, 05:44 PM
Sure...except there's no requirement to follow any particular deity, so free-for-all is still an option.

IIRC in Forgotten Realms if you get divine spells (even if you're a ranger, paladin, or druid) it is absolutely mandatory to have a deity. And if you **** them off, you lose all your spells until you Atone.

Eberron is the opposite, in that it's not even known for sure if most deities are a "real thing" or if divine spells even come as gifts from deities.

Arch-Necromancer
07-16-2017, 06:08 PM
They should follow PnP and allow clerics to choose two domains.

And then, make them less powerful than on that early look.

Or, maybe it could be something in between:

When picking two domains, you can make one domain primary, and other secondary.

Each domains could give some primary and secondary benefits, and maybe even favored soul benefits, and FvS could choose just one domain.

Domain chosen as primary would give both, and domain chosen as secondary would only give secondary benefits.