PDA

View Full Version : What does "Scale with..." mean

skaught78
07-13-2017, 07:50 PM
From the release notes. When it says

" Rune Arm shots now scale with 100% Spell Power.
Rune Arm weapon imbues now scale with 200% Melee or Ranged Power (whichever is higher)."

I don't understand what those statements mean or are referring to. Can anybody expand on this and enlighten me?

Hutoth
07-13-2017, 08:04 PM
From the release notes. When it says

" Rune Arm shots now scale with 100% Spell Power.
Rune Arm weapon imbues now scale with 200% Melee or Ranged Power (whichever is higher)."

I don't understand what those statements mean or are referring to. Can anybody expand on this and enlighten me?

Rune arm damage will go up as your spell power goes up.

Rune arm imbue damage will go up 2x as fast as your melee power or ranger power goes up.

http://ddowiki.com/page/Melee_Power

http://ddowiki.com/page/Spell_Power

skaught78
07-13-2017, 08:16 PM
So if a rune arm does say, acid damage, you can now boost that damage by wearing a corrosion item?

Was it always this way or is this new with this update?

Hutoth
07-13-2017, 08:19 PM
So if a rune arm does say, acid damage, you can now boost that damage by wearing a corrosion item?

Was it always this way or is this new with this update?

Should work that way.

Previously it was going with reduced % of spell power.

skaught78
07-13-2017, 08:20 PM
Cool. Thanks! :)

Draxani
07-13-2017, 08:24 PM
Spellpower, as well as melee and ranged power, are values affected by gear, enhancements, and other modifying factors that apply a sort of multiplier, or "scaling" to the base damage of a spell or attack.

For a spell, each point of spell power increases the base damage by 1%, so a fireball at caster level 10 with only 1 spellpower would first roll 10d3+30 damage, which would be considered the "base", and then do 101% of it (multiplying the base by 1.01).

Melee and Ranged power are very similar to spellpower, following the formula: Base x ((100+Melee or Ranged Power)/Divided by 100. For example, a hit that would do 100 damage with 50 melee power would instead do 150 damage.

While I'm not too familiar with artificers, I think runearms scaled with between 50% and 80% spell power, meaning that the related spellpower score would be multiplied by .5 to .8 before being applied to the based damage, reducing the damage by 50% to 20% compared to a spell cast at equivalent lvls. This was probably done to limit damage, but with dps changes and power creep, it became pretty far behind damage wise. They recently changed it so the damage of a runearm is universally 1% for each point of spellpower (instead of .5% or .8%) + 100% times the base, which puts it equivalent to spells.

As for imbues, they are a extra damage die or dice which are added to a weapon by the runearm. The 200% scaling means that the damage from the imbue will be its own "base" using the greater of melee or ranged power, then doubled. For example: the 2d6 acid dmg from the runearm Glorious Obscenity with a ranged power of 50 is 7 (the avg roll of 2d6) x 1.5 x 2, or an average of 21 extra damage per hit.

I'm still fairly new to DDO, so I may be wrong about some of this, but that's the way I understand it. Hope this helps :D